HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who needs top 6 centers when your top 6 wingers can run the offense

Old
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
am i the only one who thinks the sabres change of fortune has less to do with the current roster and more to do with the upcoming change of ownership?

remember the pens of a few years ago with therrien? they're outside the playoff picture with just a couple months left to go in the season, bylsma gets put behind the bench, and the team magically turns things around. granted we're talking about a change of owner here and not a change of coach, but if we're aware of the lack of commitment on behalf of ownership, the players definitely are as well. i could see how that could have a resounding effect on the outlook of the players.

i'm not saying this is what triggered the turnaround...sustained would be a better word...nor am i saying that the guys are all in rose-colored glasses, thinking daddy pegula is gonna make everything better. i think the guys are astutely aware that they're playing for the jobs. think of it as the entire team being in a contract year.

they're overachieving right now, but i highly doubt they'll be able to maintain this level of play down the stretch. getting rid of connolly would help. so would bringing in another center. fact of the matter is, this team needs a lot of work.
I don't buy this.

They started out 3-9-2 in their first 14gms with most players playing like crap. Since then they are 23-13-3 with many players playing at level that they should have been.

I find it hard to believe its a simple as they suddenly feel better about things with Pegula coming in. Especially since the turn around started in November and took off in late December. When things were hardly cast in stone regarding Pegula. If anything uncertainty was a more likely emotion up until the sale was announce last week.

Also, how are they overachieving?

Its seems to me the anomaly in their season is the first 14gms. During that time frame only one player was playing well, Roy. Since late November up until now we've seen various players get on track and play to the level that is expected of them; Pommer, Vanek, Myers, Miller, Hecht, Grier. Morrisonn and Goose. As well as some youngsters stepping up; Sekera, Ennis Gerbe and Weber. The only player thats been playing at a level above what was expected of him is Stafford.

I don't think its that far fetched to expect the players on this team to continue playing at a level near to what they are doing right now. Its not as if we have several players playing lights out and well above anything they've done before.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Dabs21Nike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't buy this.

They started out 3-9-2 in their first 14gms with most players playing like crap. Since then they are 23-13-3 with many players playing at level that they should have been.

I find it hard to believe its a simple as they suddenly feel better about things with Pegula coming in. Especially since the turn around started in November and took off in late December. When things were hardly cast in stone regarding Pegula. If anything uncertainty was a more likely emotion up until the sale was announce last week.

Also, how are they overachieving?

Its seems to me the anomaly in their season is the first 14gms. During that time frame only one player was playing well, Roy. Since late November up until now we've seen various players get on track and play to the level that is expected of them; Pommer, Vanek, Myers, Miller, Hecht, Grier. Morrisonn and Goose. As well as some youngsters stepping up; Sekera, Ennis Gerbe and Weber. The only player thats been playing at a level above what was expected of him is Stafford.

I don't think its that far fetched to expect the players on this team to continue playing at a level near to what they are doing right now. Its not as if we have several players playing lights out and well above anything they've done before.
I agree completely here. I think the first 14 games were more of a bad stretch than the last 38 games have been a good stretch. If they sucked the first 38 games and got hot the last 14, then yes this could be a hot streak, but 38 games is too big of a sample size to call a streak or overacheiving. If they started off even halfway decent, they'd probably be comfortably in the playoffs instead of on the outside looking in.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote