HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade around Versteeg and Van Riemsdyk

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I don't see a need for Penner/Hemsky on the Flyers. They're not exactly short on firepower. I think they just need to supplement their existing forward lineup with someone who is solid defensively and can take some PK time off of Richards/Giroux/Carter.
That makes it sound like Versteeg is a good fit. I don't expect to get JVR straight up for him. However other than him, there really isn't anything else I see Burke being interested in from the Flyers.

Maybe we could add a good prospect? Blacker/Ross + 3rd?

Old
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
phillipmike

When was the last time you seen a trade like this completed after an article like this. I am sure if there were actual talks about it then Burke and Holmgren would make sure to keep it quiet and people wouldnt know that it was on the table.

Plus JVR for Versteeg. I doubt that happens. JVR has a lot more value.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Guest123

I really don't want the Flyers to move their 1st again. We have no depth at all in the prospect pool.

I think we are okay as is. Richards does need a winger like Penner or Hemsky but Hemsky is too injury prone for my liking.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
That's more than enough. Their all useless on this team as well.
Jason Blake
Lee Stempniak
Jeff Finger
Brett Lebda
Mike Komisarek
Phil Kessel
Mike Brown
Joey Crabb

With the exception of Brown, every single American player in the last few years has either:

A) Been the part of a bad-terrible trade
B) Grossly overpaid
C) Absolutely terrible
D) A mix of A, B, and/or C

Not that we don't do a Versteeg-JVR swap, but it does make you wonder.

You can also add Ron Wilson and Brian Burke to that list, both of which have been quite clearly disastrous for this franchise.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Are you implying that there's something inherent in Canadians that makes them better players?
yes and what is is is quite simple we are born with hockey in our blood we are raised on hockey hockey is like a religion in Canada

Americans are Born with Baseball and football most of the rest of the world with soccer.

THAT is why most NHL teams that win the cup build their core with Canadians THAT is why we are the best players in the world and THAT is why teams like the caps will NEVER win.

Not saying I wouldn't want JVR on my team not even saying I wouldnt make this deal in fact I'd JUMP at this deal

I ust want a few more Canadian players on my team.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
That makes it sound like Versteeg is a good fit. I don't expect to get JVR straight up for him. However other than him, there really isn't anything else I see Burke being interested in from the Flyers.

Maybe we could add a good prospect? Blacker/Ross + 3rd?
Like I have said before, I like Versteeg and think he would be great with the Flyers, but JVR is a nonstarter for him, regardless of what minor pieces you add. The point is to supplement the existing lineup with a bottom-6er. Dealing JVR would be counterproductive.

Like I said before, if TO wants JVR, they need to part with something BIG. Think Schenn. The Flyers have no reason to accept less. It would be like if someone wanted Schenn and offered a bunch of low picks and marginal prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
yes and what is is is quite simple we are born with hockey in our blood we are raised on hockey hockey is like a religion in Canada

Americans are Born with Baseball and football most of the rest of the world with soccer.

THAT is why most NHL teams that win the cup build their core with Canadians THAT is why we are the best players in the world and THAT is why teams like the caps will NEVER win.

Not saying I wouldn't want JVR on my team not even saying I wouldnt make this deal in fact I'd JUMP at this deal

I ust want a few more Canadian players on my team.
I'm pretty sure the Americans and Europeans that play hockey were born with hockey. It's not like they're all baseball/soccer players that just randomly decided to play hockey. The goal is to get the best players possible. Nationality is irrelevant.

The Canadians that are good players are not good players because they are Canadian.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:24 PM
mothertucker16

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Easily one of the more ignorant posts in HF history. If management has the same thinking, that's probably why you haven't won a Cup in 44 years. You should trying finding players based on their talent levels rather than their nationalities.
so whats the flyers excuse for not winning in 37 years ? lay off the philly cheese steaks....hahahaha

Old
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Americans and Europeans that play hockey were born with hockey. It's not like they're all baseball/soccer players that just randomly decided to play hockey. The goal is to get the best players possible. Nationality is irrelevant.

The Canadians that are good players are not good players because they are Canadian.
I was a pretty horrible hockey player and i'm Canadian. I somehow didn't get that blood this dude is talking about.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
thinkinfeller

Yep, Canadian Leaf fan here, comments about our American players being useless are off base and ignorant, nearly our entire team has been useless regardless of birthplace.

Talent is talent, and I for one don't give a ***** where our players come from, so long as we start winning more hockey games.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Did the Philly guy say straight up, Versteeg for JVR? He said Philly is interested in Versteeg, but Burke (like ****in common sense would tell you) is interested in JVR.

It's like Pittsburgh being interested in Versteeg, and Burke being interested in Crosby, will that happen now? Oh hey, let's start another stupid Leafs trade thread about it.
So a Philadelphia sports writer conflating names is suddenly the fault of Leaf fans? Keep drinking the brewskys, idiot.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So a Philadelphia sports writer conflating names is suddenly the fault of Leaf fans? Keep drinking the brewskys, idiot.
*looks at Leafs forum*

A 5 page, near 5000 views thread called "Versteeg exchanged for JVR!"

*looks at the idiot that called me an idiot*

Why must you embarrass yourself?

Hey I heard this too, Pens are interested in Versteeg, Burke (like anybody) is interested in Crosby. Start a thread now.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:33 PM
mothertucker16

Quote:
You missed the point. No one mentioned Versteeg's age. But someone implied that JVR is some kind of underachiever/bust. JVR is still very young and he's likely to get better with time.
i think you missed the point you guys make it sound like jvr has done miraculous things as far as im concerned where he was picked ya he is underachieving yes he still young and yes he may become a great player yet but he still hasnt and he may never reach full potential.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:34 PM
decadentia

This would be incredibly stupid as a Flyers fan...JVR gets creates chances all the time, in time I guarantee he's going to complete his game. You don't trade him at this point, it's a bad move. That being said, if given great minutes in Toronto i'm sure he'd probably develop sooner...but still, i'm selfish and he's ours

Old
mothertucker16

Quote:
*looks at Leafs forum*

Hey I heard this too, Pens are interested in Versteeg, Burke (like anybody) is interested in Crosby. Start a thread now.
so now jvr is in crosby status....get a life !!!!!!!!

Old
thinkinfeller

Quote:
*looks at Leafs forum*

I love you guys who pretend to be irratated by Leafs proposals, and then sneak off to the Leaf forum and hide in the closet like a sex fiend in a sorority house. The source of the rumour is on the Flyers end, that's the point.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:37 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I was a pretty horrible hockey player and i'm Canadian. I somehow didn't get that blood this dude is talking about.
Hah, I hear you. I'm American and I've only ever played hockey. I'm godawful (which I hope isn't because I'm American), but it's retarded for people to think any particular nationality is inherently better at something.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Sergei Berezin

Question for Flyer fans: How's JVR progressed? Do you still feel it was the right pick, and where do you see his ceiling as being?

Old
02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertucker16 View Post
so now jvr is in crosby status....get a life !!!!!!!!
Yeah, that statement really flew over your head didn't it.

"OMG I SAW CROSBY & JVR IN THE SAME SENTENCE, WHO CARES WHAT ELSE HE'S BEEN SAYING, HE MUST BE COMPARING THE TWO!"

Old
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Jason Blake
Lee Stempniak
Jeff Finger
Brett Lebda
Mike Komisarek
Phil Kessel
Mike Brown
Joey Crabb

With the exception of Brown, every single American player in the last few years has either:

A) Been the part of a bad-terrible trade
B) Grossly overpaid
C) Absolutely terrible
D) A mix of A, B, and/or C

Not that we don't do a Versteeg-JVR swap, but it does make you wonder.

You can also add Ron Wilson and Brian Burke to that list, both of which have been quite clearly disastrous for this franchise.
You can't blame a player for being part of a bad trade.

Kessel is still our most talented player, and he's American.

The guy who shows the most heart, determination and grit each night - Mike Brown - is American. He wasn't part of a terrible trade, he isn't overpaid, and he's not terrible.

I'd argue that Mike Brown represents what a stereotypical Canadian player should be like, more than any other player on the Leafs - and that includes the Canadians.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
I love you guys who pretend to be irratated by Leafs proposals, and then sneak off to the Leaf forum and hide in the closet like a sex fiend in a sorority house. The source of the rumour is on the Flyers end, that's the point.
I see what you did there

Old
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
phlocky

Quote:
i think you missed the point you guys make it sound like jvr has done miraculous things as far as im concerned where he was picked ya he is underachieving yes he still young and yes he may become a great player yet but he still hasnt and he may never reach full potential.

Yes because EVERY draft is the same and EVERY #2 OA pick is the same. Kane is a very good player but he's certainly NEVER going to be the elite type talent that many other #1 OA picks are/were. The truth is that the 2007 draft was one of the weakest for top end talent in recent history. It is unlikely that even Kane would have gone in the top 5 if he were drafted as part of the 2008 draft class. JVR and his skill set are going to take time to develope at the NHL level. His progression will be very similar to that of Jeff Carter. Between Carter and Richards, Richards had early success while being draft much later and Carter took a lot longer to develope. Many thought he was either underachieving or a bust but he simply took longer to develope. How many teams in the NHL would LOVE to have Carter as their #1 center (or #2 if you have one better) right now, just a few years removed from him being a "bust"???? I'm not going into what the Flyers are doing to develope JVR with you as it simply doesn't matter to me what you think. JVR is not a bust, he is doing EXACTLY what is asked of him, and he's progressing and growing EXACTLY as the TEAM wants and needs him to grow. Just because a fan of a team that doesn't watch him play much (if at all) thinks he's a bust holds absolutely no water with what the FLYERS think of him. It would take massive over payment or a similar elite level young player in an area we are weak in to pry JVR out of Philly. To give you an idea, when we aquired Pronger, they wanted JVR and we said "no way" We basically gave up three 1st rnd picks and Lupul for Pronger but valued JVR SOOOO much that we refused to include him even if it meant we kept 2 or even all 3 of those picks.

Old
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Yeah, that statement really flew over your head didn't it.

"OMG I SAW CROSBY & JVR IN THE SAME SENTENCE, WHO CARES WHAT ELSE HE'S BEEN SAYING, HE MUST BE COMPARING THE TWO!"
Have all 114 of your posts been completely ignorant and moronic... or just the ones in this thread?

Old
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
What does that have to do with Versteeg's age (which is why I quoted you)? No Flyers fan is saying that JVR is destroying the league but I think you're being unfair when you say he's underachieving. The Flyers as a team do not have individual players that score at a high clip. Their scoring is spread out. It's a characteristic of deep teams with depth scoring. JVR is doing just fine, as far as I'm concerned, and I expect greater things in the future.

And you're right, he might never reach his potential (which can be said of ALL young players in JVR's position), but that's a gamble the Flyers are better off taking. If JVR and Versteeg are comparable, but JVR has a chance to be much better, why would the Flyers consider making that deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
It's not even a rumor. The guy who wrote the article just speculated that the Flyers like Versteeg and that JVR was a player that Burke liked. That's not exactly a surprise. But it also does not say that the two are being rumored for a trade. Sometimes people just like things. You're reading into the article and making conclusions that just aren't there.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
he's 21 so what its not like versteeg is a friggin grandpa hes only 24
I understand. Someone said JVR is underachieving. He's only 21 though, so there's still plenty of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
look at the teams that have won the cup for the most part with only a couple of exceptions rosters are FULL of Canadian Players

the exception being the wings and even they have quite a few.

It's not a accident tha tCandains are the majority on almost every team
Do you think those teams won the Cup because they had Canadians or because they had talented hockey players?

Old
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Just what toronto needs, another highly touted, underwhelming american player

Just what HFBoards need, another speculative trade involving that underperforming Canadian Team (the Maple Leafs)

Closed Thread