HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Flyers vs Flyers Alumni & Rejects - 2/13/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Alternate Jersey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Yes, someone has to waived to make room. Martinez and Loktionov are the only ones waiver exempt, but the Kings need Loktionov's skill in the lineup at center.
oh i agree. i wasn't saying i thought he should be sent back. i don't think he should. but i was just confirming that that was the case.

who are they gonna send back to MAN if not loki, though? who would they risk on waivers? harrold, drewiske? there are plenty of teams looking for D right now...

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Rod Buskas*

Great win! Some quik thoughts:

Doughty is emerging into a VERY good defensive defenseman. He's already an elite offensive defenseman so this bodes well.

Jack was as smooth and confident as I've seen him. It's great to see our elite players raise their game against the elite teams.

Quick was money.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Bernier and Quick on top on their games at the most critical juncture of the season. How sweet is that?

Doesn't matter who wins or loses the rest of today, after today's games 3 points will separate 1st place from 5th place in the Pacific Division.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Bernier and Quick on top on their games at the most critical juncture of the season. How sweet is that?
It's a great, and unusual, feeling as a Kings fan isn't it?

02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Shellz

Johnson and Lewis also had strong games.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Martyros

Did anyone keep count of Williams' giveaways?

Getting 3 out of a possible 6 points was being optimistic........we got 5! Not to mention the whole road trip has been great in terms of points. If only our homestand was this steady.......

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:27 PM
yankeeking

jack played very well defensively in the first 2 periods ,looked like he won almost every battle for the puck in our end and since no one mentioned it here yet clifford kicked carcillo's ass pretty good and westgarth did well agaist a pretty tough vet, both fights kept the mo going in the right direction

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Johnson and Lewis also had strong games.
I lot of guys earn credit, this was a great team effort.

I loved Smyth's back-checking at the end that resulted in an offside.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

It kills me that the team's piled on points of late and is STILL out of the playoff picture. That 2-10-0 stretch was just death. They have to keep it up.

I thought prior to the roadie that the kings would basically need to go 8-2 on this road trip to get back in the race again. Given their abysmal road record, that seemed basically impossible. So much for that notion.

They're well on their way but it's all for naught if they drop these games coming up.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
I lot of guys earn credit, this was a great team effort.

I loved Smyth's back-checking at the end that resulted in an offside.
I agree. I actually said it in my first post in this thread. But, there was a couple plays by each player where they were facing pressure and they were patient and got away from it. I love seeing that from the young guys.

Old
Rommel

Atta boy Clifford.

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

Doesn't matter who wins or loses the rest of today, after today's games 3 points will separate 1st place from 5th place in the Pacific Division.
Quick and Bernie are pushing each other. This bodes very well going into the stretch run.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Shellz

Why is HFboards crashing so much? Jeez.

Old
02-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I didnt know we played this early ??! (well its 1.00 AM here in Holland but anyway).

I suddenly noticed that the Kings won ! whoooooooo I just watched the highlights and perhaps I'm glad I forgot it, it looked like Quick made 75 saves in those highlights.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:49 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Atta boy Clifford.
For some strange reason I have this song stuck in my head...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
bland

Scuderi was amazing, again.

Stoll most definitely should have been tagged with a boarding minor, I have no idea how he got away with that right in front of the ref.

You can't say enough about Quick when he is dialed in, which is for 95% of his starts.

Have to agree with the Brown criticism - it doesn't matter what line your put him on, he is making the same mistakes game after game after game. He got caught flat-footed twice tonight and took a couple of stupid tripping calls. He cleared the zone with passes to no one on the PP, and turned over the puck practically every time he had control in the offensive zone. No physical play, no scoring chances, a defensive liability and far too many penbalties lately- dude needs to be on the 4th line or in the press box until he can get his head back in the game. If he is hurt, rest him - he's not doing anyone any good by playing right now.

Tonight was one of those rare examples of fighting helping a team. The Kings have had difficult times matching the oppostions passion level, and the clear wins by Clifford and Westgarth helped to prevent Philly from getting the upper hand from the start.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I didnt know we played this early ??! (well its 1.00 AM here in Holland but anyway).

I suddenly noticed that the Kings won ! whoooooooo I just watched the highlights and perhaps I'm glad I forgot it, it looked like Quick made 75 saves in those highlights.
OT but do you watch any professional hockey in your country? My friend plays on the Tillburg Trappers and not sure how big the local league is with the locals.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
decadentia

Good win guys, you simply outworked us tonight and Quick was phenomenal. Better team won for sure.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
OT but do you watch any professional hockey in your country? My friend plays on the Tillburg Trappers and not sure how big the local league is with the locals.
Hey...hockey in Holland is not professional. If you watch the NHL than you dont want to see the Tilburg Trappers.

Back in the 80s Holland had quite a good team. At the Olympics Lake Placid (1980) we only lost with 7-3 vs the Russians. We scored 3 goals against Tretiak !

Last NHL player who played hockey in Holland: Karl Dykhuis.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:05 PM
mbar

Their goalie deserves a lot of credit for keeping us off the board tonight too. He had 3-4 big saves himself.

All Hail Quick for the win, however.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Hey...hockey in Holland is not professional. If you watch the NHL than you dont want to see the Tilburg Trappers.

Back in the 80s Holland had quite a good team. At the Olympics Lake Placid (1980) we only lost with 7-3 vs the Russians. We scored 3 goals against Tretiak !

Last NHL player who played hockey in Holland: Karl Dykhuis.
Haha okay well my friend plays in the top league there then and he's only 18.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It kills me that the team's piled on points of late and is STILL out of the playoff picture. That 2-10-0 stretch was just death. They have to keep it up.

I thought prior to the roadie that the kings would basically need to go 8-2 on this road trip to get back in the race again. Given their abysmal road record, that seemed basically impossible. So much for that notion.

They're well on their way but it's all for naught if they drop these games coming up.
I thought we were good on the road and **** at home?
edit*
Nope.
away 14-13-2
home 17-9-1
good for 15th in the league

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Why is HFboards crashing so much? Jeez.
Too many users overwhelming the system. They are working on it but it's been a slow go.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Winger23

First off outstanding game by Quick. He stole these 2 points. I thought Philly dominated the Kings for the majority of the game, but at no time did I feel Philly was actually going to score.

I have to wonder though, how the hell can a professional team get so many damn "too many men" penalties in one season. Is it the coaching? Is it the players too eager to jump on the ice? Two more of these today, they are lucky Phily was horrible on the PP today.

I wish someone on the other team would seriously piss Brown off. He is useless unless using his body and flying out there. If they wouldn't show a close up on him during stoppages of play, or taking flat footed tripping penalties, I'd forget he's playing.

Lotki needs to stay. The kid has game is getting better and better. That move along the left wing boards going by 2 flyers was nice, and if he hadn't mishandled the puck coming into the slot I think the kings score there.

It's also nice to see Simmer playing the way he was last year. He's got that extra jump in him....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Amazing win, Johnson was good defensively. Loktionov needs to stay up . . period.

What a great win by Quick. .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote