HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your favorite stick?

Old
02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
I loved the TPS Rubber-Response before it was discontinued. I also liked the RBK 6K, but again it was discontinued. Ever since (and before the other ones) I've used Easton Synergy's.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think the comfort zone is about 1" below the nose for me. It seems with lighter and better balanced sticks I can go a little longer for stickhandling, and that can generate a bit more power on the shot.

I found my shot power went way down with the Sakic curve compared to the Drury. So I've tried just about everything and the Drury just has so much more power on wrist and slap shots. Don't know why, it just does. A goalie friend said he was surprised how weak my shot was with the Sakic because it's usually pretty strong, so I switched and immediately the power went up. Just need to work a lot more on controlling the height of the puck in game situations.

The Ovechkin looks nuts...I saw the Kremlin in person and it's just crazy. I can see how he would get a lot of power and unpredictable release with that thing, especially with the super whippy sticks. But I have a tough time controlling the Drury in game, I can only imagine adding a curved blade component...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
gintonic

I posted an inquiry here about a year ago or so regarding Warrior sticks. Have since tried a couple and I have to say that they're great. They do everything right with their sticks from my experience; the weight, the feel, grip, durability, etc.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think the comfort zone is about 1" below the nose for me. It seems with lighter and better balanced sticks I can go a little longer for stickhandling, and that can generate a bit more power on the shot.

I found my shot power went way down with the Sakic curve compared to the Drury. So I've tried just about everything and the Drury just has so much more power on wrist and slap shots. Don't know why, it just does. A goalie friend said he was surprised how weak my shot was with the Sakic because it's usually pretty strong, so I switched and immediately the power went up. Just need to work a lot more on controlling the height of the puck in game situations.

The Ovechkin looks nuts...I saw the Kremlin in person and it's just crazy. I can see how he would get a lot of power and unpredictable release with that thing, especially with the super whippy sticks. But I have a tough time controlling the Drury in game, I can only imagine adding a curved blade component...
I should really give heel wedges another try, but the only one I've ever used is the Sherwood LI-PP5 curve, which I think is basically an Easton Lidstrom, and I didn't like it at all, even after using it for a few months.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:

I had the SE16 with the Drury curve and noticed the same thing however I often shot way too high because of the heel curve.. I had a wicked shot with it though.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Just bought my first one peice stick. CCM U+ 07 Tavares pattern... I flat out love this stick.

I was using the PM9 pattern or the Zetterberg pattern but I was having trouble getting in close to the goalie and putting it under the crossbar. Now I'm back to picking corners and to my surprise I didn't lose my back hand.

Its funny how once your hands are happy... it will make your legs go...

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

For Warrior what blade type is closet to the easton iginla?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post

Based on their charts I'd say the Robitaille pattern matches closely. On visual evidence though, I'd say Savard or Vanek. What do you think?

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Kovalchuk would be the closest, although it's a longer blade and a bigger curve.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
hattrick3518

Quote:
Kovalchuk would be the closest, although it's a longer blade and a bigger curve.
I'm not so sure about that,

Iginla: Mid, Moderate, Closed Face, 5 Lie, Round Toe
Kovalchuk: Heel, Deep, Closed Face, 4 Lie, Round Toe

The only similarity I see is a round toe really...

Last edited by hattrick3518: 02-03-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Warrior doesn't have an Iglina clone. The two closest are Savard and Kovalchuk, but the Savard is a Forsberg clone (mid-heel) and the Kovalchuk is a deeper mid curve.

Also, the Kovalchuk is a 5 to 5.5 lie with a closed face:

Old
02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
GLG

This is without a doubt my favorite stick/pattern... Wish I purchased more back in 2001-now if I could find these sticks around I'd stockpile like crazy !!!!

GLG

Last edited by GLG: 09-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
GLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
hattrick3518

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG View Post
This is without a doubt my favorite stick/pattern... Wish I purchased more back in 2001-now if I could find these sticks around I'd stockpile like crazy !!!!

GLG
I've still got mine! In right hand though, it is a good stick, I'm gonna have to pull it out of the bin for a stick and puck here one day

Old
02-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
My favorite stick is actually very cheap, but durable. I like the Koho 2100 Ultimate with a Jagr C21 curve.

I usually buy them in bulk from hockey monkey: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/koho2100sr.html

A Jagr C21 curve from above:

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Im Old Gregggg

fav stick ive used so far is my current one95

everything feels right about it, nice wieght, feel, durability, good lie and flex for me

not sure of the curve of the top of my head butits a malkin (i think pm8 or pm9), has done wonders for improving my shot , i have always had a pretty dirttty wrister and snapper but my slapshot and backhander has deff improved ... good all around blade

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

I broke my One95. I'm very sad. I have to find something to replace the best stick I've ever used, and I don't think I'm going to.

Any suggestions? TotalOne is the most obvious choice, but...$250? Man.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:15 AM
izzy3

i got an insane steal ($130) on a warrior dolomite spyne grip with the draper curve. 70 flex too, so just right for my height.

light stick, super balanced and improved my accuracy right out of the box (dunno if it's that spyne thing or not). reebok's sickkick gives me a stronger shot, but not as accurate, so i'm sticking with the warrior.

this blue-black wonder is my fav stick at the moment. let's see how long it lasts.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Pedagogue

Easton S-17 just a beautiful stick. My snappers were rockets with that thing!

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:08 AM
hattrick3518

Anyone know where in the hell to find an original stealth or Si-Core Grip? (loved both of those sticks)

Old
02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
jwitz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
I broke my One95. I'm very sad. I have to find something to replace the best stick I've ever used, and I don't think I'm going to.

Any suggestions? TotalOne is the most obvious choice, but...$250? Man.

Vapor X:20
I have this stick, and love it. Love the low kick on it, and it's barely heavier than the X:60, but 1/4th the price of it.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...um-s10-sr.html

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
I love my Vapor X:60
So Light *drools*

Problem is, is that I got it free from the minor hockey board at the end of last season for being most sportsmen like on my team. When it brakes, I will be too cheap to buy a new one because I have a lot of dutch blood running through my veins.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:23 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitz04 View Post
Vapor X:20
I have this stick, and love it. Love the low kick on it, and it's barely heavier than the X:60, but 1/4th the price of it.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...um-s10-sr.html
Hate to be a party pooper but the X:20 won't come close to the feel of the one95! And it's significantly heavier than the X:60!

$250 is steep for that totalone. Try looking for some pro stock sticks if you're not picky with the pattern. Or I think most 2010 10K's are on for about 150-170 C$ right now. It's a nice stick.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Hate to be a party pooper but the X:20 won't come close to the feel of the one95! And it's significantly heavier than the X:60!

$250 is steep for that totalone. Try looking for some pro stock sticks if you're not picky with the pattern. Or I think most 2010 10K's are on for about 150-170 C$ right now. It's a nice stick.
I picked up a One100, and to be honest, I can't really tell the difference between that and a One95. It feels a TINY bit heavier, but the feel and my shot are pretty much identical. Only used it one game, but right now I'm happy.

By the way, the X:20 is a lead pipe compared to the One95. About 100 grams heavier, plus it's a low kick point, and not a mid? Vapor blades are also quite different from Supreme blades from what I've seen.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:07 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
I picked up a One100, and to be honest, I can't really tell the difference between that and a One95. It feels a TINY bit heavier, but the feel and my shot are pretty much identical. Only used it one game, but right now I'm happy.

By the way, the X:20 is a lead pipe compared to the One95. About 100 grams heavier, plus it's a low kick point, and not a mid? Vapor blades are also quite different from Supreme blades from what I've seen.
Im pretty sure the One100 is the same thing as the One95, don't remember where I heard it or if it is true though.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
markisonfire

I find that some of the heavier sticks last a lot longer, which is really fine by me, I'm not playing a very high level of hockey. I work at a hockey store though, and the ones that seem to sell the most are the high end sticks (X:60, S19, TotalONE) and then sticks like the X:20, 6K, and the S5. Seems the middle level sticks aren't purchased very much, which makes sense I suppose. Either go top of the line or cheapest you can find.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote