HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official Glen Sather trade deadline quote book thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
  #26
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 50
The problem, I suppose is that 50% or more of the rumors we have been hearing are bunk. Dangling a first for offensive help? Doesn't sound like the message here.

The part about the Rangers thinking they would sign Richards; was that Brooks speculating or did Slats actually say something in that regard?

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
  #27
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The problem, I suppose is that 50% or more of the rumors we have been hearing are bunk. Dangling a first for offensive help? Doesn't sound like the message here.

The part about the Rangers thinking they would sign Richards; was that Brooks speculating or did Slats actually say something in that regard?
I think the assumption well sign Richards is just that an assumption, I for one have never seen slats or torts personally say Richards is being targeted.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:39 AM
  #28
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
So I'm reading the article thinking this is fine, Sather is approaching this smartly. No top prospects no top draft choice. Deal depth in the organization because we are at that point.

Where's the problem here?
I think the problem is the potential return. I like his mentality, but I'm always leery of what kind of players Slats is targeting. Depth for a young, promising top-six forward or top-4, offensive D is great. Depth for a player on the wrong side of 30 with some serious holes in his game isn't my cup of tea.

Plus, I'm sure people are still clinging to the idea that as soon as we trade away a prospect, they'll turn into the next Marc Savard.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
  #29
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
I think the assumption well sign Richards is just that an assumption, I for one have never seen slats or torts personally say Richards is being targeted.
Either of them talking about Richards would be tantamount to tampering, so you're not going to see them say anything. But Brooks is simply saying what should be common sense at this point. Richards to the Rangers just makes too much sense to not be, at the very least, discussed in the media.

As early as November or December, TSN's experts were predicting he would be a Ranger next season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
  #30
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think the problem is the potential return. I like his mentality, but I'm always leery of what kind of players Slats is targeting. Depth for a young, promising top-six forward or top-4, offensive D is great. Depth for a player on the wrong side of 30 with some serious holes in his game isn't my cup of tea.

Plus, I'm sure people are still clinging to the idea that as soon as we trade away a prospect, they'll turn into the next Marc Savard.
I'm trying to recall the last time Slats has even done that.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:52 AM
  #31
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Either of them talking about Richards would be tantamount to tampering, so you're not going to see them say anything. But Brooks is simply saying what should be common sense at this point. Richards to the Rangers just makes too much sense to not be, at the very least, discussed in the media.

As early as November or December, TSN's experts were predicting he would be a Ranger next season.
Exactly

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
  #32
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
After what Philly did last year and the fact that it looks like it's just about getting hot in the playoffs, I really don't want to see the comment "They are not a Stanley Cup Contender."

How many times has it been proven that if you make the playoffs, you are a Stanley Cup contender?
Twice, Philly who doesn't even belong in the discussion because they were labeled a contender at the beginning of the year and had injury issues which kind of held them back and Edmonton who flamed out in the finals.

Still a pointless argument until a team actually wins the cup as an under dog.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:11 AM
  #33
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I'm trying to recall the last time Slats has even done that.
When was the last time we had the depth to do it? It's not that it's inevitable, it's the combination of "need" and availability of guys like McCabe and Kaberle that make me weary.

Point being that I think we need to be careful with disrupting the locker room of the current club. I don't think it's a given that Sather will go fishing for soon-to-be retiree's, but if we're serious about turning this team over to guys like Callahan, Staal, and Dubinsky, then we need to be cautious about bringing in older players who will assume the leadership role when they step into the room.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:21 AM
  #34
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Still a pointless argument until a team actually wins the cup as an under dog.
What does this mean?

1948-49 'Leafs won as the lowest possible seed.

1995 Devils won as the 5th seed coming out of the East.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
  #35
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,177
vCash: 300
Pre-expansion era isn't good for examples.

If you don't finish 4th or higher, there's about a .1% chance of winning it all.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:30 AM
  #36
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Pre-expansion era isn't good for examples.

If you don't finish 4th or higher, there's about a .1% chance of winning it all.
I used one from each era.

Also, one 5th seed winning in 43 years is > than .1%. More like 2.33%.

Though, considering the league is has more parity than ever, I'd wager that the 2.33% figure is probably very low.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
  #37
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,177
vCash: 300
But to stay on topic, THIS is the stuff that I love to hear. Logic. Actual logic from Sather. He seems to be turning a corner finally, and he's starting to gain a tiny bit of trust from moi. He's still a bit of a time bomb, though. If he can keep lowering his awful contract amount, like he has the past few summers, he could be a competent GM, which feels pretty nice.

I would like to see him make a move for some cheap defensive help, like Lamierllo usually does before the trade deadline. We need the experience and/or steadiness on the 3rd pairing. Someone like an Allen, or a Montador. Could be had for relatively cheap.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  #38
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooks added Sather could be interested in sending a #2 to NJ for Jason Arnott
I find this hard to believe

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  #39
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
What does this mean?

1948-49 'Leafs won as the lowest possible seed.

1995 Devils won as the 5th seed coming out of the East.
5th seed isn't 7th or 8th...

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:45 AM
  #40
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
5th seed isn't 7th or 8th...
You didn't say 7th or 8th. You said "underdog" - which the 5th seed clearly is.

In any event:

No to Jason Arnott (and I doubt Lou would send him over the river anyway).
No to Kaberle (too much for too little).

I'd wager that if Sather does anything, it'll be for someone a little more under the radar.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
  #41
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Twice, Philly who doesn't even belong in the discussion because they were labeled a contender at the beginning of the year and had injury issues which kind of held them back and Edmonton who flamed out in the finals.

Still a pointless argument until a team actually wins the cup as an under dog.
Richards, Hartnell, Carter, Briere, Pronger, Timonen and Carle all played 74 or more games last season. The only key player that missed time was Gagne and he still played 58 games and they still barely got in by beating the Rangers in a shootout. What injuries are you talking about?

And its not a pointless argument when the 7th and 8th seed played each other in the ECF last season. Were they not "Stanley Cup Contenders" once they reached that point? Just because Philly didn't play well enough in the SCF does not mean that they couldn't have won it all.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
  #42
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
You didn't say 7th or 8th. You said "underdog" - which the 5th seed clearly is.

In any event:

No to Jason Arnott (and I doubt Lou would send him over the river anyway).
No to Kaberle (too much for too little).

I'd wager that if Sather does anything, it'll be for someone a little more under the radar.
Nit picky, the argument is generally that we can make it as an 8th seed and then anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Richards, Hartnell, Carter, Briere, Pronger, Timonen and Carle all played 74 or more games last season. The only key player that missed time was Gagne and he still played 58 games and they still barely got in by beating the Rangers in a shootout. What injuries are you talking about?

And its not a pointless argument when the 7th and 8th seed played each other in the ECF last season. Were they not "Stanley Cup Contenders" once they reached that point? Just because Philly didn't play well enough in the SCF does not mean that they couldn't have won it all.
They also had some other issues, the point is they under achieved for whatever reason injuries had something to do with there struggles most of which related to goaltending. They were still a talented team that should have put a better record together maybe not as good as this season but somewhere in the middle.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
  #43
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I find this hard to believe
Considering the Rangers have never completed a trade with the Devils, i'd have to agree.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:03 AM
  #44
E Nixson
Powered by Intel
 
E Nixson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
You didn't say 7th or 8th. You said "underdog" - which the 5th seed clearly is.

In any event:

No to Jason Arnott (and I doubt Lou would send him over the river anyway).
No to Kaberle (too much for too little).

I'd wager that if Sather does anything, it'll be for someone a little more under the radar.
I don't think the Rangers and the Devils have traded ever.
Buying out Drury and trading Wolski & Christensen for a pick would probably clear up enough space to sign Richards. I like Wolski, but Brad Richards is a huge upgrade over him, and at 3.9 cap hit, it will make it difficult to make wiggle room.

I usually don't advocate these big free agent signings, but Richards kills two birds with one stone. He is the #1 center and PP QB a lot of us have been clamoring for, and it would probably cost more to get a #1 center AND a different PP QB, while taking up a defensive spot from someone like McD or Del Zotto.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:05 AM
  #45
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,290
vCash: 500
It seems that some think that Richards is going to be available at the deadline. I don't think that is the case and even if it is--Richards is going to cost a lot more than Kaberle as far as assets going the other way. The way to deal with the Richards scenario is to wait for summer--try to sign him then. He won't cost anything in terms of players, prospects or picks then. The Rangers have enough depth up front and young centers like Stepan and Anisimov who are good now and should develop into much better players in the future. I don't have a problem with them on our top two lines going into the playoffs--especially considering Boyle's emergence as a third center this year.

It's more critical--to playoff success anyway--that we have someone who can quarterback our pwp. Teams going deep into the playoffs depend on goaltending, defense and special teams. They also need to stay relatively healthy. Pwp is critical to us even getting out of the first round. I don't buy this 'anything can happen' ****. You have a lousy pwp in the playoffs and it's over. You're not going to survive for long. Just having an extra experienced d-man doesn't hurt either.

So if it's Kaberle vs. Richards and Kaberle costs you a 2nd and Ethan Werek--and the team gets in and gets to the 2nd round in part because the pwp wasn't too bad--which is some degree of success?--isn't it?--good for Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, McDonagh, Sauer, MZA, Boyle and any other younger player I haven't mentioned--would that be worth it? even if we revisit the whole thing over the summer and decide we'd rather go with Richards (because we can only afford one of them) even though Kaberle has cost us the 2nd and Werek? IMO-yes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
  #46
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
I don't think the Rangers and the Devils have traded ever.
Buying out Drury and trading Wolski & Christensen for a pick would probably clear up enough space to sign Richards. I like Wolski, but Brad Richards is a huge upgrade over him, and at 3.9 cap hit, it will make it difficult to make wiggle room.

I usually don't advocate these big free agent signings, but Richards kills two birds with one stone. He is the #1 center and PP QB a lot of us have been clamoring for, and it would probably cost more to get a #1 center AND a different PP QB, while taking up a defensive spot from someone like McD or Del Zotto.
Plenty of posters have done the capgeek machinations...the Rangers have enough space to re-sign their RFAS, sign Richards and not move Wolski, as long as they buy out Drury.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:23 AM
  #47
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,253
vCash: 50
well get McCabe or Pitt for a 2nd and something small. i'm not worried about it.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
  #48
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
This team has no buisness to be in the playoffs.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:31 AM
  #49
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
But to stay on topic, THIS is the stuff that I love to hear. Logic. Actual logic from Sather. He seems to be turning a corner finally, and he's starting to gain a tiny bit of trust from moi. He's still a bit of a time bomb, though. If he can keep lowering his awful contract amount, like he has the past few summers, he could be a competent GM, which feels pretty nice.

I would like to see him make a move for some cheap defensive help, like Lamierllo usually does before the trade deadline. We need the experience and/or steadiness on the 3rd pairing. Someone like an Allen, or a Montador. Could be had for relatively cheap.
And this is where Sather fools you, he gains your trust all season long, you ask for cheap help like Allen or Montador, and we will not get cheap help. I am not going to go through his track history, he is infatuated by d-men who can provide offense. He rarely ever trades for a stay at home d-man, and with our PP floundering until the last game I fully expect him to make a deal for a d-man that provides a cannon or can at least run our PP. He may not go the rental route such as a Kaberle or a McCabe, but he could easily add cheap help by going after Kurtis Foster, who has a bomb and is signed for 1.8 million next season. Foster could log 3rd line minutes, may not cost much more than a pick and a prospect, thus making Gilroy expendable to be dealt elsewhere as it is unlikely he will be back. Sather loves to trade with the Oilers. I hope he makes a trade for a Foster type, or even Tyutin to shore up the 3rd pairing, but I really see him going after a Kaberle or McCabe, but he has shocked us before so we will find out.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
  #50
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Plenty of posters have done the capgeek machinations...the Rangers have enough space to re-sign their RFAS, sign Richards and not move Wolski, as long as they buy out Drury.
Jas, it really all depends on how much the cap goes up. Sauer, Anisimov, Boyle, Dubinsky, and Callahan all due raises and then what do we do with Gilroy, Eminger, and Fedotenko. Buying out drury adds 3 million plus, but Richards won't be a bargain signing, I think someone would also have to be moved be it W2 (I hope not) or maybe even Anisimov because to me Boyle, Dubi and Cally are 3 players I don't want to trade now.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.