HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official Glen Sather trade deadline quote book thread

Old
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
The problem, I suppose is that 50% or more of the rumors we have been hearing are bunk. Dangling a first for offensive help? Doesn't sound like the message here.

The part about the Rangers thinking they would sign Richards; was that Brooks speculating or did Slats actually say something in that regard?

02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The problem, I suppose is that 50% or more of the rumors we have been hearing are bunk. Dangling a first for offensive help? Doesn't sound like the message here.

The part about the Rangers thinking they would sign Richards; was that Brooks speculating or did Slats actually say something in that regard?
I think the assumption well sign Richards is just that an assumption, I for one have never seen slats or torts personally say Richards is being targeted.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
So I'm reading the article thinking this is fine, Sather is approaching this smartly. No top prospects no top draft choice. Deal depth in the organization because we are at that point.

Where's the problem here?
I think the problem is the potential return. I like his mentality, but I'm always leery of what kind of players Slats is targeting. Depth for a young, promising top-six forward or top-4, offensive D is great. Depth for a player on the wrong side of 30 with some serious holes in his game isn't my cup of tea.

Plus, I'm sure people are still clinging to the idea that as soon as we trade away a prospect, they'll turn into the next Marc Savard.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
I think the assumption well sign Richards is just that an assumption, I for one have never seen slats or torts personally say Richards is being targeted.
Either of them talking about Richards would be tantamount to tampering, so you're not going to see them say anything. But Brooks is simply saying what should be common sense at this point. Richards to the Rangers just makes too much sense to not be, at the very least, discussed in the media.

As early as November or December, TSN's experts were predicting he would be a Ranger next season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think the problem is the potential return. I like his mentality, but I'm always leery of what kind of players Slats is targeting. Depth for a young, promising top-six forward or top-4, offensive D is great. Depth for a player on the wrong side of 30 with some serious holes in his game isn't my cup of tea.

Plus, I'm sure people are still clinging to the idea that as soon as we trade away a prospect, they'll turn into the next Marc Savard.
I'm trying to recall the last time Slats has even done that.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:52 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Either of them talking about Richards would be tantamount to tampering, so you're not going to see them say anything. But Brooks is simply saying what should be common sense at this point. Richards to the Rangers just makes too much sense to not be, at the very least, discussed in the media.

As early as November or December, TSN's experts were predicting he would be a Ranger next season.
Exactly

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
After what Philly did last year and the fact that it looks like it's just about getting hot in the playoffs, I really don't want to see the comment "They are not a Stanley Cup Contender."

How many times has it been proven that if you make the playoffs, you are a Stanley Cup contender?
Twice, Philly who doesn't even belong in the discussion because they were labeled a contender at the beginning of the year and had injury issues which kind of held them back and Edmonton who flamed out in the finals.

Still a pointless argument until a team actually wins the cup as an under dog.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I'm trying to recall the last time Slats has even done that.
When was the last time we had the depth to do it? It's not that it's inevitable, it's the combination of "need" and availability of guys like McCabe and Kaberle that make me weary.

Point being that I think we need to be careful with disrupting the locker room of the current club. I don't think it's a given that Sather will go fishing for soon-to-be retiree's, but if we're serious about turning this team over to guys like Callahan, Staal, and Dubinsky, then we need to be cautious about bringing in older players who will assume the leadership role when they step into the room.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:21 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
What does this mean?

1948-49 'Leafs won as the lowest possible seed.

1995 Devils won as the 5th seed coming out of the East.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Pre-expansion era isn't good for examples.

If you don't finish 4th or higher, there's about a .1% chance of winning it all.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:30 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Pre-expansion era isn't good for examples.

If you don't finish 4th or higher, there's about a .1% chance of winning it all.
I used one from each era.

Also, one 5th seed winning in 43 years is > than .1%. More like 2.33%.

Though, considering the league is has more parity than ever, I'd wager that the 2.33% figure is probably very low.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
But to stay on topic, THIS is the stuff that I love to hear. Logic. Actual logic from Sather. He seems to be turning a corner finally, and he's starting to gain a tiny bit of trust from moi. He's still a bit of a time bomb, though. If he can keep lowering his awful contract amount, like he has the past few summers, he could be a competent GM, which feels pretty nice.

I would like to see him make a move for some cheap defensive help, like Lamierllo usually does before the trade deadline. We need the experience and/or steadiness on the 3rd pairing. Someone like an Allen, or a Montador. Could be had for relatively cheap.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooks added Sather could be interested in sending a #2 to NJ for Jason Arnott
I find this hard to believe

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
What does this mean?

1948-49 'Leafs won as the lowest possible seed.

1995 Devils won as the 5th seed coming out of the East.
5th seed isn't 7th or 8th...

Old
02-14-2011, 10:45 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
5th seed isn't 7th or 8th...
You didn't say 7th or 8th. You said "underdog" - which the 5th seed clearly is.

In any event:

No to Jason Arnott (and I doubt Lou would send him over the river anyway).
No to Kaberle (too much for too little).

I'd wager that if Sather does anything, it'll be for someone a little more under the radar.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Twice, Philly who doesn't even belong in the discussion because they were labeled a contender at the beginning of the year and had injury issues which kind of held them back and Edmonton who flamed out in the finals.

Richards, Hartnell, Carter, Briere, Pronger, Timonen and Carle all played 74 or more games last season. The only key player that missed time was Gagne and he still played 58 games and they still barely got in by beating the Rangers in a shootout. What injuries are you talking about?

And its not a pointless argument when the 7th and 8th seed played each other in the ECF last season. Were they not "Stanley Cup Contenders" once they reached that point? Just because Philly didn't play well enough in the SCF does not mean that they couldn't have won it all.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
You didn't say 7th or 8th. You said "underdog" - which the 5th seed clearly is.

In any event:

No to Jason Arnott (and I doubt Lou would send him over the river anyway).
No to Kaberle (too much for too little).

I'd wager that if Sather does anything, it'll be for someone a little more under the radar.
Nit picky, the argument is generally that we can make it as an 8th seed and then anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Richards, Hartnell, Carter, Briere, Pronger, Timonen and Carle all played 74 or more games last season. The only key player that missed time was Gagne and he still played 58 games and they still barely got in by beating the Rangers in a shootout. What injuries are you talking about?

And its not a pointless argument when the 7th and 8th seed played each other in the ECF last season. Were they not "Stanley Cup Contenders" once they reached that point? Just because Philly didn't play well enough in the SCF does not mean that they couldn't have won it all.
They also had some other issues, the point is they under achieved for whatever reason injuries had something to do with there struggles most of which related to goaltending. They were still a talented team that should have put a better record together maybe not as good as this season but somewhere in the middle.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I find this hard to believe
Considering the Rangers have never completed a trade with the Devils, i'd have to agree.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:03 AM
E Nixson