HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Washington's Second Round Pick Owned by The Rangers

Old
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
Washington's Second Round Pick Owned by The Rangers

Whats up guys. I have a Ranger related question:

Why does every person make having Washingtons Second Round Pick to be a HOT COMMODITY. Its a Second Rounder and YES they are good picks to have. But when discussing OUR OWN Second Rounder, everyone refers to just the Washington 2nd we own.

Whats the deal with that? I am sure I am missing something. How does the picking work? Figure washington finished 5th in the standings. Goes to the Eastern Conference Finals and Loses (I am just guessing), wouldnt OUR OWN Second Rounder be a BETTER PICK because it would be lower in number?

Or am I completely retarded.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

Why does every person make having Washingtons Second Round Pick to be a HOT COMMODITY. Its a Second Rounder and YES they are good picks to have. But when discussing OUR OWN Second Rounder, everyone refers to just the Washington 2nd we own.

Whats the deal with that? I am sure I am missing something. How does the picking work? Figure washington finished 5th in the standings. Goes to the Eastern Conference Finals and Loses (I am just guessing), wouldnt OUR OWN Second Rounder be a BETTER PICK because it would be lower in number?

Yes which is why you often see the Washington pick being thrown in to trade proposals. Pretty much the only time I have seen it brought up.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Hot commodity...not quite. However, having the extra pick allows the Rangers the luxury of moving one if need be. 2nd round picks appear to be the more tradable currency at the deadline. And, I think more people would rather part with Caps' pick, as it likely will be the lower of the two 2nd rounders that the Rangers have.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

Im gonna guess because based on the talent level available, the most likely trading chip will be a second round pick. The fact that we have an additional 2nd round pick and the fact that Wash is most likely going to finish higher than us in the standings means we can trade a 2nd rounder (albeit higher one) for help, and still have our own second rounder to continue to stockpile depth.

Not a hot commodity, just the fact that its most likely going to be our trading chip.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

The farther you go in the playoffs the later you pick. The reason that everyone mentions Washingtons 2nd in trade proposals is that everyone assumes that Washington will go farther in the playoffs; therefore that pick will be more ideal to part with because it will be later than our original 2nd.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Yes which is why you often see the Washington pick being thrown in to trade proposals. Pretty much the only time I have seen it brought up.
yea everyone just wants to give up the likely higher 2nd rounder, lol

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
The farther you go in the playoffs the lower you pick. The reason that everyone mentions Washingtons 2nd in trade proposals is that everyone assumes that Washington will go farther in the playoffs; therefore that pick will be more ideal to part with because it will be lower than our original 2nd.
Only with regard to the Conference finals. If the Caps were to bow in round one, and the Rangers were to reach the 2nd round and lose, the Rangers would still have the better pick than the Caps, so long as they had the worse regular season record. Draft order only gets changed when lower-seeded teams reach the Conference finals.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea everyone just wants to give up the likely higher 2nd rounder, lol
Everyone tends to ignore this when making proposals they just want to give up the extra one which is Washington's ignoring the fact that it is less valuable than ours.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

On another note, I see no reason to trade the pick. Use both picks on young players. I can't see the Rangers using a second round pick to acquire a player simply because that player won't be someone who can make a difference not just this year, but for years to come. That is unless it's part of a blockbuster deal which could be even worse.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
we can draft Hugh Jessiman's lesser talent evil twin brother Fail Jessiman, 6 goals in 55 games in Toronto's Danforth neighborhood weekend league... he is 7'3", 350 lbs. though and said he's willing to pay for his own sticks...

what's pavel brendl doing these days?

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:35 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Draft order is first based on record and then on the division winners. The final 4 teams have the last 4 picks.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:06 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Only with regard to the Conference finals. If the Caps were to bow in round one, and the Rangers were to reach the 2nd round and lose, the Rangers would still have the better pick than the Caps, so long as they had the worse regular season record. Draft order only gets changed when lower-seeded teams reach the Conference finals.
I could be wrong on this, but I thought that what you are saying only applied in the first round anyway? As far as I know, the draft order in rounds 2-7 is still based purely on regular season standings.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I could be wrong on this, but I thought that what you are saying only applied in the first round anyway? As far as I know, the draft order in rounds 2-7 is still based purely on regular season standings.
That is incorrect. The order is the same through all rounds.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Pizza

We seem to do extremely well with our 2nd rounders. I say we keep it and let Gordie work some more of his magic.

Don't know if it's been done, but somebody ought to list our 2nd round picks in the last few years. Thomas is just ripping it up this year. He's only our most recent.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
We seem to do extremely well with our 2nd rounders. I say we keep it and let Gordie work some more of his magic.

Don't know if it's been done, but somebody ought to list our 2nd round picks in the last few years. Thomas is just ripping it up this year. He's only our most recent.
2010: Christian Thomas
2009: Ethan Werek
2008: Derek Stepan
2007: Antoine Lafleur
2006: Artem Anisimov
2005: Mike Sauer, Marc-Andre Cliche
2004: Dane Byers, Darin Olver, Bruce Graham, Brandon Dubinsky
2003: Ivan Baranka
2002: Lee Falardeau
2001: Fedor Tyutin
2000: Filip Novak

Old
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
MSG the place to be*

Hypothetical...

Right now, would you rather us trade our 1st rounder for X or both of our seconds for X?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

2000-2010:

Thomas
Werek
Stepan
Lafleur
Anisimov
Sauer, Cliche
Olver, Byers, Dubinsky, Graham
Baranka
Falardeau
Tyutin
Novak

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
2000-2010:

Thomas
Werek
Stepan
Lafleur
Anisimov
Sauer, Cliche
Olver, Byers, Dubinsky, Graham
Baranka
Falardeau
Tyutin
Novak
Rage. Rage. Rage. RAGE.

I hated that pick with the fire of ten-thousand suns.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Hypothetical...

Right now, would you rather us trade our 1st rounder for X or both of our seconds for X?
Depends on what is available, and how high or low the first rounder is.

If the top 10 is really good, I'd try and move up with our first and one or both seconds.

If the draft is deep and our pick is a late first, move down and get a second or two.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Rage. Rage. Rage. RAGE.

I hated that pick with the fire of ten-thousand suns.
Imagine if we grabbed Wayne Simmonds!

Old
02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Depends on what is available, and how high or low the first rounder is.

If the top 10 is really good, I'd try and move up with our first and one or both seconds.

If the draft is deep and our pick is a late first, move down and get a second or two.
I said right now. What would you prefer?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Imagine if we grabbed Wayne Simmonds!
imagine if the Rangers select Dustin Brown in 03, but he was drafted only one pick after Hugh "never played in an NHL game" Jessiman.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Afetr watching Washington lose (again) in Phoenix tonight, I'm starting to think our second round pick will be higher than theirs. Dead team walking.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Afetr watching Washington lose (again) in Phoenix tonight, I'm starting to think our second round pick will be higher than theirs. Dead team walking.
Yup, we're only 4 points behind them right now. They might end up falling out of it at some point. It's always possible.

They are also a lot older then people think. Outside of OV, Backstrom, and Green, their players aren't particularly young. Sure they have some rookies in Carlsson and have Alzner, but they do have older players.

I think they'll make it to the playoffs, but they most likely are 1 and done depending on their match-up.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Semin is 26. Laich is 27. Fehr is 25. Marcus Johansson is 20. Fleischmann is 26. Steckel is 28. Their goalies are babies. All of their core is well, well under 30. They have literally one old player, Mike Knuble. They're something like the 8th-youngest team in the league.