HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Boyes to Phoenix for Brett MacLean

Old
02-14-2011, 10:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Brad Boyes to Phoenix for Brett MacLean

Would the Blues bite? Would they prefer Viktor Tikhonov?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Guest123

I don't know the salary cap situation but I would think that both teams might be interested.

Phoenix is under pressure to perform well and compete.
St.L is very young and Boyes has not performed like he did under his former coach.

A change of scenery would be great for both players. I love MacLean and think he's a borderline All-Star with the right team.

I dont think this trade is bad. Good one.

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

To be honest i think Boyes is another Stempniak. Im not saying that's bad but if we're giving up Brett Maclean i'd rather send him in a package deal for someone of a higher caliber.

I would do Tikhonov for Boyes though.

Last edited by Rabbit: 02-14-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Would the Blues bite? Would they prefer Viktor Tikhonov?
I don't think they would, to be honest. Boyes takes a bit of a beating around here but he's really developed into a fairly complete player over the last three years. Some fans are frustrated because he's become more of a playmaker than a scorer, but he's still generating lots of good chances on offense and he's been our hottest forward the last 20 games or so (5G, 16A in his last 21 games). He's probably overpaid by about a million for his new skill-set, but that alone isn't enough to warrant moving him at a time when the team is hurting for offense and still looking to compete.

I like MacLean better than Tikhonov, and Boedker better than both of them, but I don't think any of the three are going to be developed enough to play a significant NHL role on the Blues next year. MacLean's not cracking the Blues top 6 anytime soon, and I don't think his game lends itself much to a bottom 6 role.

Boedker could probably contribute well in a bottom 6 role, but I think he's still multiple years away from really blossoming to the point where he would crack a top 6 job on the Blues. Some additional AHL development would probably serve his future well.

Tikhonov just doesn't do much for me, honestly. I don't ever see him playing much of a top 6 role on the Blues.

Another problem is that the Blues couldn't even really let any of these kids develop by splitting time between the AHL and NHL because I believe that all three players lose waiver-exemption at the end of this year.

The Blues are in a bit of a tough situation. They have a very young and talented core that's probably 3 to 4 years from starting to really peak from a production standpoint. They know this, and have committed to that process, but they're also pretty adamant about being competitive from now until the point where the core they have put in place really hits its stride. So, even though Boyes probably doesn't have a place on this team beyond the end of his current contract, they still value/need what he provides. I doubt he gets moved at all, but if they were to deal him they would probably be looking for a player more like Turris as the foundation for a return than the other three mentioned.

Boyes will easily be a better player than Turris the next two years, but Turris could definitely hold down a regular NHL slot immediately while contributing something tangible. The year after that next year, he could probably slide in to replace McClement when he hits UFA. Down the road a few years more he could easily be contributing in a top 6 role. He would be affordable for the duration of that time, and the pace of his development would be in line with the rest of the young core.

I have no idea if that would work for Phoenix, but that's my best guess as to what sort of return the Blues would be looking for to move Boyes at this point.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
I dont know much about MacLean honestly other than looking at his stats. I would def do it for Turris but I dont think PHX fans would, Id pass on Thikonov. Boyes's value is just kinda hard to judge right now, he has been our best foward(stats wise) the last month and half or so, im pretty sure its 23 points his last 22 games or something like that.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Not to hi-jack this thread, but what would Blues fans want or think is fair from Calgary for Boyes? I think Stajan would have to go St. Louis otherwise we would have too many centres, but what else would they want to make a deal go thru.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but what would Blues fans want or think is fair from Calgary for Boyes? I think Stajan would have to go St. Louis otherwise we would have too many centres, but what else would they want to make a deal go thru.
Well Boyes hasnt played center since coming to STL and this is his 4th season here. I really have zero interest in Stajan. The only guys on your roster that catch my eye are named Iginla, Backlund and Bourque even though i think hes overpaid, so is Boyes.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Boyes plays RW, and any deal that involves Stajan is an absolute non-starter. I can't imagine any realistic scenario that would involve the Blues taking on that contract.

The closest thing Calgary has to Turris is Backlund, so that's probably what they would be looking at. I wouldn't do that deal if I was running Calgary, and probably not if I was running St. Louis either.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote