HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

When will Trades be allowed?

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2005, 05:06 PM
starbuck97

vCash: 500
When will Trades be allowed?

Anybody hear anything official about when trades will be allowed? My thinking is that they have to be allowed on or before the Draft on July 30th. So they must be allowed after the press conference on Thursday. Signing Free Agents wont be allowed until August 1st but Trades should be allowed before that, correct?

Last edited by starbuck97: 07-17-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old
07-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Troy McClure

Yeah, I guess. With 300 free agents and the buyout option, I don't know how many teams will really need to do any trades.

Old
07-17-2005, 05:20 PM
habs1988

I think the trade market will open when we'll know the draft order.

Each year, there are some trades during the draft to get better pick. So, I don't see why this year, this will change.

Old
07-17-2005, 07:55 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i assume trades can start after the deal is completely 100% signed and final, i assume thats what ppl are waiting for

Old
07-17-2005, 08:28 PM
kolanos

We could start seeing trades or buyouts this Thursday (July 21st) -- I believe that's when the CBA will be ratified (IF it's ratified, I should say).

If it isn't ratified, I hope there's a lynching.

Old
07-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97
Anybody hear anything official about when trades will be allowed? My thinking is that they have to be allowed on or before the Draft on July 30th. So they must be allowed after the press conference on Thursday. Signing Free Agents wont be allowed until August 1st but Trades should be allowed before that, correct?

Wait. Both sides have to accept the new CBA. After it, it's gonna be the lottery, then the draft; at the draft they will be able to trade, that's for sure. A lot of team will want to trade up or down; and don't forget, that it could have a little chance to see some team make the biggest offer ever seen to get Crosby (like Philadelphia/NYR/Quebec for Lindros)......

Old
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
burgess1978

If you read the cba terms it says that there will be a day period following July 21 (provided the deal is ratified) when teams can buy out players without having the buyout count against the cap. Free agency will be 10 days later - which means 1 August.

It would seem unlikely that trades wouldn't be allowed on draft day. I would say that either a) trades can happen from after 21st July (ratification) or beginning on draft day.

Old
07-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

I wonder what the first trade will be.

Old
07-17-2005, 11:43 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
I wonder what the first trade will be.
Morrow for Havlat?

Old
07-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978
If you read the cba terms it says that there will be a day period following July 21 (provided the deal is ratified) when teams can buy out players without having the buyout count against the cap. Free agency will be 10 days later - which means 1 August.

It would seem unlikely that trades wouldn't be allowed on draft day. I would say that either a) trades can happen from after 21st July (ratification) or beginning on draft day.
Maybe it was a typo but there buyouts are initiated on Sat July 23rd and completed on the 29th without cap impact. This was listed on ESPN's website identifying critical dates. Free agency does begin on 8/1/05. Granted until we see the signed agreement with dates I'm not sure anyone knows for sure but I suspect the "leaks" are accurate and planned.

Old
07-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Plager05

Anyone think there will be a flood of deals? Trades are fun.

Old
07-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Morrow for Havlat?
Nope, it's actually changed to Smyth for Havlat...

I can't see there being many trades until the free agency picture is a little more clear. Most teams have a lot of spots to fill on their rosters right now and thus don't really have a great idea as to what their team needs are and what they should address through trades. I'd expect the trades to pick up after a few of the big name free agents are signed and the rosters are a little more filled out...

Old
07-18-2005, 05:32 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
for the next two weeks

it will be mind numbing the changes that will happen

Old
07-18-2005, 12:45 PM
fiveholio

I'd expect a lot of trades during the buyout period, if they're allowed. There will be teams out there interested in buying out a player, but would rather get someone cheaper and not have to pay out the dead money. Other teams are going to be looking to upgrade, and would rather trade a smaller piece now to make sure they get the upgrade they want.

Example:
Say the Kings want to buy out Aaron Miller and pick up Blake, who the Avs might want to buyout anyway to get off their cap. So they trade Miller for Blake (and maybe some cash) Avs don't have to spend the buyout on Blake, and get a d-man back in the deal. Kings don't have to buy out Miller and get Blake before the goes UFA. The Avs could even throw in some money they would've spent on Blake's buyout to lessen the cost for the Kings.

This is just an example, but I think there will be a lot of these scenarios during the buyout period, if allowed.

It's also interesting under this scenario that the trade could be Miller for Blake and cash, which in the old NHL would be outrageous. The cap is going to make for some really interesting trades from here on out...

Old
07-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Morrow for Havlat?

no no no, Brewer for Jokinen!!!!

Old
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
BeaverSports

There was an article recently, don't ask me to remember from whom or when, which said the cap situation will make the NHL a lot more like the NFL where there are very few trades, and those trades will take a while to accomplish.

I think this summer, movement might take longer than it ever did before as GMs are not only learning the deal, but every trade they make, they'll have to go to their lawyer or capologists even more than before, to give them the yay or nay. Value is completely different now, and the learning curve might be longer.

Old
07-18-2005, 03:14 PM
operasen

Agenda heats up, beginning with buyouts
By E.J. Hradek
ESPN The Magazine

Once the NHL and the NHL Players' Association ratify their new collective bargaining agreement, which is expected to happen Thursday, the agenda will heat up dramatically for club executives.

According to multiple team sources, there will be several deadlines for franchises to meet in the days after the ratification leading up to the July 30 draft and the opening of the free agent market on Aug. 1.

The first date of note is July 23, when a six-day window begins for clubs to initiate compliance buyouts.

Beginning that same day: a five-day window to negotiate and sign 2003 draft picks; an eight-day period to tender qualifying offers; and a nine-day window for teams to negotiate with their own restricted and unrestricted free agents.

If a team buys out a player during this six-day window of compliance under the new system, the club's buyout cost (two-thirds of the remaining contract value, minus the 24 percent rollback) will not be charged against the salary cap. After this window closes on July 29, clubs can still buy out players, but the cost will be charged against their cap number.

If a team fails to come to contract terms with any of its 2003 draft picks during the five-day window, those draftees will become eligible for selection in the 2005 entry draft scheduled for July 30 in Ottawa.

In accordance with the transition rules, 2003 draftees will be subject to the same entry-level system used in the previous CBA, with consideration of the 24 percent salary rollback. However, as a compromise, the signing bonus that the 2003 draftees, such as Flyers top picks Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, for example, can receive will be limited to no more than 30 percent of their annual salary in any given year. In other words, draftees who signed with their clubs before the expiration of the previous CBA have the opportunity to make a bit more money in bonuses.

Restricted free agents who aren't tendered qualifying offers by their clubs during the eight-day window will become unrestricted free agents on Aug. 1.

Under the new agreement, players earning less than $660,000 (after consideration of the 24 percent rollback) in their last contracted season must be qualified at 110 percent of that salary -- a 10 percent raise.

Players earning between $660,000 and $1 million (after consideration of the rollback) in their last contracted season must be qualified at 105 percent of that salary -- a 5 percent raise.

And, players earning more that $1 million (after consideration of the rollback) in their last contracted season must be qualified at 100 percent of that salary.

According to league sources, lawyers representing the league and the players continue to craft the final document. They are hoping to complete their work and present a finalized CBA by Thursday.

The schedule that teams will follow after the expected ratification:

Saturday, July 23
• Period for initiating compliance buyouts begins
• Period to negotiate and sign 2003 draft picks begins
• Period to extend qualifying offers begins
• Period to negotiate with own club's restricted and unrestricted free agents begins

Thursday, July 28
• Deadline to exercise club and player options for the 2005-06 season
• Deadline to sign 2003 draft picks (if not signed, 2003 draftees will re-enter the 2005 draft)
• Deadline to make required bona fide offers to 2004 draft picks

Friday, July 29
• Deadline for initiating compliance buyouts

Saturday, July 30
• Entry draft

Sunday, July 31
• Deadline to extend qualifying offers

Monday, Aug. 1
• Free-agent signing period begins

Old
07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
RoyIsALegend*