HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sullivan very critical of Miller's postgame reaction after Isles loss

Old
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Sullivan very critical of Miller's postgame reaction after Isles loss

Jerry had a few things to say about Ryan Miller after his postgame press conference Sunday evening post-Isles loss:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Sullivan
It was around this time a year ago, after an overtime loss in Carolina, when Ryan Miller accused his Sabres teammates of playing like a bunch of "fragile little kids."

Who's fragile now? Miller had a day to forget Sunday, allowing seven goals in a perplexing 7-6 overtime loss to the Islanders at HSBC Arena. Then the veteran goalie acted like an aggrieved child in the face of some mild questioning in the dressing room afterward.

Here's the offending question, the one that set Miller off. "Did you feel OK?" asked John Vogl, the News' beat writer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Sullivan
My God, the guy gives up seven goals and turns it into a Spanish Inquisition. Maybe Miller got tired of fighting the puck and decided to take on the media instead. No one asked if he needed a break after starting his 31st consecutive game, or insinuated that he should throw his defense under the bus.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle341056.ece

then he talks about why he thinks it was such a bad loss, and has this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan
What I'm implying, I suppose, is that this was quite possibly the worst loss of Miller's NHL career. It was also the low point of a season that has seen Miller go from Vezina Trophy winner and Olympic hero to a run-of-the-mill netminder.
What were/are:

A) your initial thoughts on his press conference
B) your thoughts about Sullivan's piece
C) your reaction to Miller being called a "run-of-the-mill netminder"

I actually see where Sullivan is coming from, though I would recommend approaching it in a bit calmer of a manner. Miller was certainly aggressive, but he's a competitor, and I'm not sure I'd want it any other way. He could definitely tone it down a bit too (Miller).

Run of the mill?

Last edited by jBuds: 02-14-2011 at 01:54 PM.
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

After listening to the interview from Vogl's recordings, I can understand why Miller came off as PO'd.

Especially since he had a bad game.

Is it really news that a goalie that just had a really bad game and cost his team a point in a tight playoff race was PO'd & moody?

Not to this goalie....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

It's a reasonable line of questioning (whether he's tired, implying Lalime should be getting more starts), but it's something they should ask Lindy, not Miller. What's Miller going to say? Yeah, sure, I'd love to have more nights off, but my buddy Pat sucks ass? Of course not.

Which is why it's not up to him. It's Ruff who makes the call, and it's pretty obvious that he doesn't have any faith in Lalime.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:56 PM
captaincrunch89

The only problem I really had was that Vogl wouldn't give up once Miller answered him, it seemed like he wanted to get something quoteworthy and Miller wouldn't oblige so he tried to goad him a little. I do see why Miller was pissed, but it was a bad game and he should deal with it better.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
After listening to the interview from Vogl's recordings, I can understand why Miller came off as PO'd.

Especially since he had a bad game.

Is it really news that a goalie that just had a really bad game and cost his team a point in a tight playoff race was PO'd & moody?

Not to this goalie....
And if anyone has a right to complain about Miller's attitude after the game, it certainly isn't Sullivan. Vogl maybe, but not Sullivan. Sullivan comes across as, well, Sullivan...

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

trade bait.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
And if anyone has a right to complain about Miller's attitude after the game, it certainly isn't Sullivan. Vogl maybe, but not Sullivan. Sullivan comes across as, well, Sullivan...
I like to think that whenever a new player comes to Buffalo, whether its the Bills or the Sabres, management or the coaching staff warns them about this one ******* from Boston who writes for the Buffalo News.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I still don't see the big deal in the question. Did you feel OK is hardly a reason to get angry, even after a very bad night. The only reason a person would normally become angry at a question like that is because it's actually true. Miller getting all whiny about it was pretty lame.

That said, Sullivan's an idiot and always has been. This article is pointless and so was him getting involved last night.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
The only problem I really had was that Vogl wouldn't give up once Miller answered him, it seemed like he wanted to get something quoteworthy and Miller wouldn't oblige so he tried to goad him a little. I do see why Miller was pissed, but it was a bad game and he should deal with it better.
I wonder if Miller got annoyed because he felt like Vogl was trying to lead him into the "Overworked" conversation without coming right out and saying it.

It sounds like it, but I'm not inside Miller's head.

And if that is what really annoyed him, I understand.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
I think Miller has been playing with an injury all season that the team doesn't want to disclose and Vogl's line of questioning set off his radar. That "tweaked" knee he suffered in preseason was never explained. It could very well be that he's playing through something that will require offseason surgery.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

The fact that Sullivan is employed by my city's newspaper embarrasses me.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

I understand Vogl has a job to do and that initially the question he was asking was not a big deal, but after an ugly loss to the Islanders, one where Miller was particularly bad, and Vogl pressing the question, I understand why Miller would get angry.

Sullivan butting in to get in a pot shot or whatever on Miller is... just... embarrassing.

Also some people need to accept that Miller's human, and goalies have ****ty games once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
The fact that Sullivan is employed by my city's newspaper embarrasses me.
this.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I think Miller has been playing with an injury all season that the team doesn't want to disclose and Vogl's line of questioning set off his radar. That "tweaked" knee he suffered in preseason was never explained. It could very well be that he's playing through something that will require offseason surgery.
if that were true, why would the coach start him 31 consecutive games...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
if that were true, why would the coach start him 31 consecutive games...
well, it is Lindy Ruff...

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
well, it is Lindy Ruff...
meaning....................that he plays injured guys against their will? I don't get it..

Old
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
meaning....................that he plays injured guys against their will? I don't get it..
meaning.... he has no gauge on his goaltending situation.

Miller has too much pride. Ruff is too ambivalent... leads to Miller playing 31 straight, in a season where he has had knee problems, and hasn't played anywhere near a vezina level with any consistency.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
meaning that he doesn't give a **** who his backup is he's going to ride Miller no matter what.

obviously he's not going to play injured guys against their will, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out after the season ends that Miller has be dealing with a nagging issue all year.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I'd like Miller to take some responsibility for his play. It's always "we had breakdowns" or the dumb little shrug he does when he feels a goal isn't his fault.

You let in a stinker, own up to it. No one's going to think any less of you, it happens.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
CaptPantalones

I dont think the question set Miller off as much as Sullivan jumping into something he had no business being involved in. Add to the fact that if what Riter typed was true about Sullivan taking a pot shot at Miller with the 14 game comment, Sullivan comes off as the big d-bag all this

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
meaning.... he has no gauge on his goaltending situation.

Miller has too much pride. Ruff is too ambivalent... leads to Miller playing 31 straight, in a season where he has had knee problems, and hasn't played anywhere near a vezina level with any consistency.
This is evident by Lalime not seeing a single start over 31 games, and has nothing to do with speculative Miller injuries. These are professional athletes playing in a professional model with doctors and physicians everywhere you look. If he was too hurt to be used in the manner he is, he wouldn't be.

He's probably just playing poorly and wants a rest but can't have one. I don't think he's hurt to the point of it being a hindrance to his game (or really hurt at all, for that matter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
meaning that he doesn't give a **** who his backup is he's going to ride Miller no matter what.

obviously he's not going to play injured guys against their will, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out after the season ends that Miller has be dealing with a nagging issue all year.
He is not a great goalie handler by any means. But to say he doesn't care who his backup is is absurd. When it was someone capable, that someone played more like a backup goalie should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I'd like Miller to take some responsibility for his play. It's always "we had breakdowns" or the dumb little shrug he does when he feels a goal isn't his fault.

You let in a stinker, own up to it. No one's going to think any less of you, it happens.
I'm with you on this. I found this quote from Sabres Edge to be interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Miller
"I'm not playing at the level I guess that was expected after last season but I feel like I'm contributing and playing decent. I obviously want to improve and that's the name of the game. You try to improve every day and try to win every day."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-word-yet.html

Accountability would lead me to believe that he should admit that the year has been subpar, and his contributions aren't NEAR what they were or could/should be.

If he's insinuating that expectations are or were too high after last year's magical run, then maybe he is trying to label his own self as a run-of-the-mill goaltender.

That line aggravated me. Either you want to be the best, or you want expectations lowered. Which?

Old
02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
PuckSim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post

He owned up to two of the goals that were on him last night, and he basically admitted that it was a bad game by him. There was nothing he said that wasn't true, it just wasn't phrased as eloquently as some here would like.

Listen to the sabres post-practice podcast today, he said that he messed up on two of the goals, that he's human, and that he's going to put it behind him and move on.

This whole thing is becoming a much bigger deal than it needed to. Some of that's on Miller, some is on Vogl, and a lot is on Sullivan.

PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Vito_81

Whole bunch of nothing.

I know I would get sick of the same ****ers asking me stupid questions after every game. Let alone after a game in which I'm sure you don't really want to talk to anyone.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Jeremy2020

No one should ever care about anything that comes out of Jerry's mouth.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Arular

I find it funny that Sullivan called Miller "thin-skinned" when Sullivan was the one who got too sensitive over Miller going back and forth with Vogl, and then proceeds to insult Miller for no reason. At least Miller had an excuse to act the way he did, he just came off a pretty rough night and his temper was running high. Was it professional? No. But it was at least understandable. What was Sully's excuse? It seems like he can dish it out but can't take it.

As for Vogl, he should have realized that he wasn't going to get anywhere with Miller with that question. He should have stopped pushing Ryan into elaborating, because it was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to. Sullivan and Vogl are both professionals, and I think they knew what they were getting themselves into when they were provoking Miller.

Sullivan's column is just classic Sullivan. A bunch of crap.

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Afino
The Juice

Sullivan needs to stick at what he's good at:

Shooting 95 on the golf course and pretending like he's going to be good someday.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote