HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Gomez

Old
02-14-2011, 03:45 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

vCash: 500
How about Rolston for Gomez. Then NJ waives Gomez and lets him center the #2 line in Albany.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Clipitar

About McDonaugh, I didn't really see him as NHL-ready when I went to the Bell Centre a few weeks ago. He would probably be in Hamilton if he was still in the Habs organization.

I still don't understand what Timmins saw in him to draft that high. He'S going to be decent, but most probably not top-4 material and almost no offensive upside in his game.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Gomez is not going anywhere, he will not be sent down, bought out or traded, we are doomed with his contract for another few seasons and can only wish Desharnais, Leblanc and Eller pan out in the next few years.
This. As much as we fans might whinge about his cap hit and his lower-than-anticipated production, he's still an NHL player, still plays at the level of an NHL player, and the team considers him to be part of the core, part of the overall chemistry. They're not going to doing anything melodramatic based on 1 sub-par season. (Even assuming the whole season finishes out for Gomez the way it has gone thus far).

He'll have all of next season too to prove it was just an outlier, and that he can bounce back.

After that, well, who knows. But given that there are no visible signs of physical deterioration, that he's not that old, and given his past track record... the odds would seem to suggest that he'll figure out a way to bounce back. If not in the time remaining this year, then sometime during next year's evaluation window. Or that the coaching staff will figure out a way to get him back on track. Whichever way you want to look at it.

If that doesn't happen, if the slide continued even further, then perhaps around this time next year we could take a more serious look at the melodramatic options. But it's just premature now, from a non-fan perspective.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:13 PM
backhandsauce

***Offseason

Khabibulin and Souray

for

Gomez.

Salary is pretty much a wash. Gomez would actually be a good fit in Edm. He has the wheels to keep up with guys like Paajarvi and Hall.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Pengo

Gomez+ for Pominville

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd LOVE him on re-entry.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
About McDonaugh, I didn't really see him as NHL-ready when I went to the Bell Centre a few weeks ago. He would probably be in Hamilton if he was still in the Habs organization.

I still don't understand what Timmins saw in him to draft that high. He'S going to be decent, but most probably not top-4 material and almost no offensive upside in his game.
You are extremely misinformed. I have watched McDonagh play every game this year and this kid is going to be nothing short of a stud. His skating is absolutely top notch and his defense is already great. He honestly looks almost as good as Girardi and he's a rookie.

I realize Habs fans will always be annoyed with that trade but McD would be top 4 on almost any team right now with his play, let alone after he develops. This kid has all the makings of becoming another Marc Staal esque d-man or even better. He is super young, in his first year as a pro and is already proving that he can play at a high level in the NHL.

He also logs nearly 20 mins a game. This kid is awesome and is honestly one of the best prospects the rangers have right now, if not the best. That is saying a lot because i think extremely highly of a couple of the young kids in the system. McD will be a cornerstone on the Ranger defense for the next decade+

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

I'd take him on re-entry, but that's it.

Hampe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Halifaxhab*

trade him for next to nothing in the offseason, but I wouldn't want to add to get rid of him.

Teams like the Islanders, Phoenix next season may need a players whose cap is higher than his salary to get to the cap floor. they might make an offer...maybe

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
You are extremely misinformed. I have watched McDonagh play every game this year and this kid is going to be nothing short of a stud. His skating is absolutely top notch and his defense is already great. He honestly looks almost as good as Girardi and he's a rookie.

I realize Habs fans will always be annoyed with that trade but McD would be top 4 on almost any team right now with his play, let alone after he develops. This kid has all the makings of becoming another Marc Staal esque d-man or even better. He is super young, in his first year as a pro and is already proving that he can play at a high level in the NHL.

He also logs nearly 20 mins a game. This kid is awesome and is honestly one of the best prospects the rangers have right now, if not the best. That is saying a lot because i think extremely highly of a couple of the young kids in the system. McD will be a cornerstone on the Ranger defense for the next decade+
Homeristic and laughable. You call me misinformed but you, sir, are delusional.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
tpb209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post

As a Ranger fan, these statements are more than a little ridiculous. He has been good for us, but not more than that. This is the reason that so many people are killing Del Zotto right now. People saw what they wanted to see and ignored his mistakes. This led to many people expecting too much. I think that this may be happening to some extent with McDonagh and Sauer. People see the good things they do, but ignore some of the bad things that they see. This only leads to expectations that will not and cannot be met.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim8778 View Post
As a Ranger fan, these statements are more than a little ridiculous. He has been good for us, but not more than that. This is the reason that so many people are killing Del Zotto right now. People saw what they wanted to see and ignored his mistakes. This led to many people expecting too much. I think that this may be happening to some extent with McDonagh and Sauer. People see the good things they do, but ignore some of the bad things that they see. This only leads to expectations that will not and cannot be met.
McDonagh and Sauer should be in no way compared to Del Zotto. Both have been more than capable d-men and need to work on there offensive game.

Del Zotto's defensive game was awful this year and actually regressed this year. To compare there games is asinine.

I dunno what games you've been watching but Sauer and McD have both been very capable top 4 d-men this year.

Maybe i went a little overboard saying that McD would be a top 4 on many teams but i guarantee this kid is going to be a stud in the NHL. Maybe not an elite d-man (ala pronger) but someone who can definitely handle top pairing minutes.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rochester Rocket View Post
Don't know if the NJ fans would really welcome him back, but there is a need for a second line center and he did play his best years there. That being said how about something around Rolston and Clarkson for Gomez?
Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus/Palmieri
Parise-Gomez-Elias
Tedenby-Josefson-Zubrus/Palmieri

Looks pretty damn good.
DONE

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:22 PM
AintLifeGrand

to ATL: Pouliout, Gomez
to MTL: Peverley, Paul Postma, 3rd

Postma is our best Defensive Prospect, leads the AHL and his team in pts. Postma and Subban on 2 PP units could be deadly....... Him for Pouliout and 3rd straight up.

Peverley is having a down year in ATL, but has proven he can rack up the points when playing in an offensive minded system with adequate linemates. Him and Gomez are equal right now IMO(maybe not in value but in terms of what they bring to the table).

Kane-Gomez-Antropov
Ladd-Little -Bergfors
Pouliot-Burmistrov-Stewart
Boults-Slater/Cormier-Thorburn

AintLifeGrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Q for Hab fans:

Would the MTL organization consider sending him down or nah?
I highly doubt that an owner who just purchase the team for close to $600M would want to pay a player over $7M to play in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Send Ottawa your 1st rounder this year or next year and we'll take him and wont ask you to take any salary back.
The NHL would not approve such a trade. See, a trade needs players going both ways. I'd take Neil off your hands though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
to ATL: Pouliout, Gomez
to MTL: Peverley, Paul Postma, 3rd

Postma is our best Defensive Prospect, leads the AHL and his team in pts. Postma and Subban on 2 PP units could be deadly....... Him for Pouliout and 3rd straight up.

Peverley is having a down year in ATL, but has proven he can rack up the points when playing in an offensive minded system with adequate linemates. Him and Gomez are equal right now IMO(maybe not in value but in terms of what they bring to the table).

Kane-Gomez-Antropov
Ladd-Little -Bergfors
Pouliot-Burmistrov-Stewart
Boults-Slater/Cormier-Thorburn
I'd personally be very tempted by that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Gomez + 2nd round pick for Lecalavier

A change of scenery might do wonders for both players.

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

You're prolly looking at a Blake + Toskala for Giggy type deal.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote