HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Still Looking to Deal

Old
02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
3rd for Clarkson + Rolston
Yes because the Leafs are in a phase not to rebuild.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Sergei Samsonov? lol

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
BeastoftheEast85

By the end of this week the leafs could be looking at 10 first rounders and most of their ahl roster in the nhl.

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

What the hell is he going to get for a pick that's going to be 1-2 picks away from the 4th round?

Maybe he can get Ponikarovski back from the Kings.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
I am curious. Do you like the Steeg deal or no?
Honestly, I'm on the fence. I certainly don't think it was as bad as the Lupul trade that's forsure. However, much like the Lupul trade, this one doesn't make sense because it's a step backwards on its own.

If Burke can use that first (and his cap space) to get a guy to play with Kessel, then it's a good deal. Putting Bozak on the 3rd unit next year would give them a decent offensive catalyst, and they could try to throw an ELC player like Caputi pr Mueller along with Armstrong on the 3rd. However, if he isn't able to get a player to make Kessel more effective, it made absolutely no sense to get rid of our 3rd line catalyst.... because a #3 unit of Versteeg-Bozak-Armstrong would problably produce like a mediocre to slightly below average #2 unit.

This trade does have the effect of making the Lupul trade not as disasterous (maybe make Lupul the same 3rd line winger he was in Anaheim as opposed to a healthy scratch), so it gets points for that.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Honestly, I'm on the fence. I certainly don't think it was as bad as the Lupul trade that's forsure. However, much like the Lupul trade, this one doesn't make sense because it's a step backwards on its own.

If Burke can use that first (and his cap space) to get a guy to play with Kessel, then it's a good deal. Putting Bozak on the 3rd unit next year would give them a decent offensive catalyst, and they could try to throw an ELC player like Caputi pr Mueller along with Armstrong on the 3rd. However, if he isn't able to get a player to make Kessel more effective, it made absolutely no sense to get rid of our 3rd line catalyst.... because a #3 unit of Versteeg-Bozak-Armstrong would problably produce like a mediocre to slightly below average #2 unit.
Yeah I agree with you, I am not opposed to keeping the first and drafting with it and using the cap space to sign a Connolly if available or even use the 3rd and combine it with something acquire Connolly and see what Chemistry might be there between he and Kessel. I am just not sure what Buffalo would want for him, some fans I have ready say a bag of pucks, others think he can get value. With Richards going nowhere this year (I would think), Connolly and Arnott seem to be top centres that might be available via trade and I guess FA's if not signed.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:45 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
I am hearing Leafs will keep the 1st rounder but are trying to move the 3rd rounder for a tangible asset who can play now.

So, who do you think they would want and or target?
For a 3rd? No one in particular.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

It would likely be a 3rd + from the Maple Leafs end.

Can't imagine you get much of a tangible asset back for the 3rd alone.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
NYR Viper

Christensen is available from the Rangers. So is Matt Gilroy.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:52 PM
iamgmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaaane View Post
Arnott??????

3rd+...
no chance that happens. he is a ufa this summer. we would be thowing away the pic. plus i think arnott has a ntc, and cant see him waiving to come here for 2 months. a decent playoff run would do him better for contract reasons this summer.

iamgmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:56 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Like I said in my previous post before the censorship brigade deleted it, take it for what it's worth.

Without any underwear references this time: He said that Kaberle has agreed to waive his NTC.
mods just locked the Leafs Kaberle rumour thread.
And yes, I agree, bob is a very solid source.

Sheeesh, if it isn't Dreger or Mac I guess it doesn't get it's due.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
Makes sense. Any ideas of who might be looking to dump salary???
Flames or habs possibly might be willing to throw us a pick or prospect to take some salary so they can make another trade to push for playoffs

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
mods just locked the Leafs Kaberle rumour thread.
And yes, I agree, bob is a very solid source.

Sheeesh, if it isn't Dreger or Mac I guess it doesn't get it's due.
Think of it this way -- if Kaberle did infact waive his NTC, why would he waive it for more than 1 team?

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:01 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I just like having a 1st rounder. Stay healthy Flyers.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

It's really annoying the way people criticize Burke for literally every single move he makes. Give it some time. He is not done re-building.

And I am with J.E.I on this one. A 3rd rounder itself isn't going to get you much.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Anybody know if phoenix is not signing upshall? Because I'd love a deal of 2nd/3rd+decent prospect for him and he'd be awesome with armstrong.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:28 PM
ajj93

I think Burke is clearing out some money so he can get a center for Kessel...hopefully kabs and giguere will go soon...

ajj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
ppaul092
Twiggy Aliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Three 3rd rounders could get Versteeg back!

ppaul092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
What would we be able to get for a late 3rd?

This doesn't make much sense...
Cheap 3rd line centre like Cal O'Reilly (who's injured atm) or just a cheap winger like Santorelli although obviously to a team which is looking to rebuild.

It would be a waste just to trade that pick unless they got rid of Kaberle with it and get something of substance in return.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:38 PM
NewFang

Offer sheet coming

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:45 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
They trade picks for assets to become better, than trade for picks because they want to rebuild. It
Please wait until the dust settles. Burke may be using these picks in another trade. Not to mention it's coming out now that Versteeg desperately wanted out. per dregger's twitter.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
Thats isnt why people make fun off them. They arent heading in any direction. They dont know whether to rebuild or go and try to win. They trade picks for assets to become better, than trade for picks because they want to rebuild. It
Burke saw it as an opportunity to get a young potential 50 goal scorer and let's face it, nobody saw Leafs finishing 2nd worst. 2 years in a row they finished 7th last and basically improved their roster but finished worst. Even if those are two 5th overall picks, that's a win for the Leafs IMO. The only reason that deal hurts a little is because Bruins get a potential franchise player. I would consider it a win had Bruins had the 3rd overall pick and drafted Gudbranson instead.

It was a risky trade and not something I would do... but you have to understand it was a calculated risk. Even though they got Kessel, they are still rebuilding in a way. They are the youngest team in the league and got some pretty good young players in Schenn, Kulemin, Kessel, Phaneuf (he is starting to return to form, defensively he has been good, starting to play better offensively + hitting more), upcoming Kadri and now he has added Gardiner while there are few pretty good young players in Aulie, Blacker, Reimer.

Burke's thinking was probably try to win now (meaning get into playoffs) while rebuilding. If he wasn't truly rebuilding, he would consider trading Kadri to improve the club and clearly he didn't because he still wants to rebuild.

Maybe it's not exactly tanking like Oilers, Pens or Hawks did but there are different ways to do it. I am much more optimistic about Leafs future now than I was few weeks ago.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Burke saw it as an opportunity to get a young potential 50 goal scorer and let's face it, nobody saw Leafs finishing 2nd worst. 2 years in a row they finished 7th last and basically improved their roster but finished worst. Even if those are two 5th overall picks, that's a win for the Leafs IMO. The only reason that deal hurts a little is because Bruins get a potential franchise player. I would consider it a win had Bruins had the 3rd overall pick and drafted Gudbranson instead.

It was a risky trade and not something I would do... but you have to understand it was a calculated risk. Even though they got Kessel, they are still rebuilding in a way. They are the youngest team in the league and got some pretty good young players in Schenn, Kulemin, Kessel, Phaneuf (he is starting to return to form, defensively he has been good, starting to play better offensively + hitting more), upcoming Kadri and now he has added Gardiner while there are few pretty good young players in Aulie, Blacker, Reimer.

Burke's thinking was probably try to win now (meaning get into playoffs) while rebuilding. If he wasn't truly rebuilding, he would consider trading Kadri to improve the club and clearly he didn't because he still wants to rebuild.

Maybe it's not exactly tanking like Oilers, Pens or Hawks did but there are different ways to do it. I am much more optimistic about Leafs future now than I was few weeks ago.
I never said anything about the talent the Leafs have up and coming. They have some future pieces in place.

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Erick

We'd gladly trade Rostislav Olesz for that 3rd round pick.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
DJ ROCHE

stephen weiss

for luke Schenn & the 3rd lol

DJ ROCHE is offline   Reply With Quote