HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds acquire Fisher

Old
02-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Does anyone have\know of where to find NHL on the Fly from last night? I'd like to see the Fisher interview. Apparently really praised the crowd last night.

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Mike Fisher is the man

(and I didn't really want him)

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:25 PM
WartracePred

Listened to the phone interview and heard for the second time that Fisher thinks the Preds play a more aggressive style than the Senators. What does he mean? I've always thought our play was a more conservative, defense first style. Does he mean a more aggressive defensive style??

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Listened to the phone interview and heard for the second time that Fisher thinks the Preds play a more aggressive style than the Senators. What does he mean? I've always thought our play was a more conservative, defense first style. Does he mean a more aggressive defensive style??
Our coaching staff is terrible. Clouston was supposed to bring an Offense first approach because we added Gonchar, and some of the promising rookies on Defense lend themselves better to that approach. He couldn't figure it out, so he reverted to his old system which is incredibly passive. Often you get caught up in this cycle of endless defending, dumping the puck away and changing to keep the energy up. Our Offense has basically imploded as a result. We're awfully predictable and easy to Defend against, and it's showed up in the standings.

We'll probably have better luck if we can find an Offense first coach, and someone who knows how to run a Powerplay properly. You have Gonchar, Karlsson, Spezza, Kovalev, and Alfredsson at your disposal yet we still have trouble scoring on 5-on-3's

Anyway, that's probably what Mike was referring to. The players don't like Clouston and they're sort of going through the motions. Trotz probably has the right idea on how to approach a Defense game and actually win. There's probably a lot of transition Offense, and a lot of emphasis on special teams. We simply don't do any of these things well.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
I would think he was talking about the aggressive forecheck that Nashville uses.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:30 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

It's nice to hear the work Fisher in Nashville.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:55 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I would think he was talking about the aggressive forecheck that Nashville uses.
nonsense. the preds play the boring 0-5 trap clog the neutral zone. we suck. ask canada

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:10 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
our coach is retarded. We had a great 2-man forecheck going last year and finished 5th in the east. He decided to change the system and implement a 1-man forecheck this year.

I wouldnt worry about overpaying for fisher. 3 years from now, if fisher leaves as a UFA, maybe you can talk about that, but for now he's solid money value (7M/2yrs), and i know i've mentioned this a lot, but his impact on the community cannot be understated. Fisher is a great guy on and off the ice. He will grow hockey in nashville. He will bring in new fans, and i'm not talking about the underwood factor at all. This guy will be the ultimate ambassador for predators hockey in the community, and i know that diehard hockey fans will say they dont care and just want to see the impact on the ice, but the reality is that other than a few big markets, having guys like fisher in the community is a necessity to keep growing the fanbase.

02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
nonsense. the preds play the boring 0-5 trap clog the neutral zone. we suck. ask canada

Every time I watch us send two or three forwards in on the forecheck I think of this... and it happens a lot

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Milly79

I was surprised to already see Fisher jerseys in the stands... Geez people.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

fish on nhllive

- perfect fit (hockey-wise), play his game
- hard to leave ottawa, all that. Nice to have a home in nashville, his wife here, good hockey team. No better place for him.
- Found out at the saddledome. Hopped on a flight 2hrs later. No time to react.
- Murray told him the price, he understood the situation ottawa was in, gets the return. - - Most frustrating season he's ever played. The distractions were a bit annoying. Constant year of underachieving. Nothing went (ottawa's) way. Unfortunate season.
- Played for trotz in the 07 WC, experienced coach, always gets the most out of his players. Guys are prepared and know what to expect. Really impressed with the coaching so far.
- Conversation with wife: knew how much he liked ottawa, so it was tough for her, but now she's ecstatic. Less stress for them with their schedules. Great situation for them.
- Good group of guys, he brings playoff experience, thinks he can help nashville take the next step in the playoffs.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
fish on nhllive

- perfect fit (hockey-wise), play his game
- hard to leave ottawa, all that. Nice to have a home in nashville, his wife here, good hockey team. No better place for him.
- Found out at the saddledome. Hopped on a flight 2hrs later. No time to react.
- Murray told him the price, he understood the situation ottawa was in, gets the return. - - Most frustrating season he's ever played. The distractions were a bit annoying. Constant year of underachieving. Nothing went (ottawa's) way. Unfortunate season.
- Played for trotz in the 07 WC, experienced coach, always gets the most out of his players. Guys are prepared and know what to expect. Really impressed with the coaching so far.
- Conversation with wife: knew how much he liked ottawa, so it was tough for her, but now she's ecstatic. Less stress for them with their schedules. Great situation for them.

- Good group of guys, he brings playoff experience, thinks he can help nashville take the next step in the playoffs.
Thx for that recap! What a person

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
dulzhok

Versteeg traded for a (late) 1st and 3rd.

Similar production as Fisher; Makes 3m, only 24 years old, has been great in the last 2 playoffs.

Do the 'intangibles' of Fisher cover the difference?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

Similar production as Fisher; Makes 3m, only 24 years old, has been great in the last 2 playoffs.

75 playoff games vs 39 playoff games

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:19 PM
token grinder

Quote:

we needed a center.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

funny, i thought you guys would see the versteeg deal and think you got a much better deal.

Fisher is a much better player than versteeg. Versteeg is soft. Fisher is not.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
funny, i thought you guys would see the versteeg deal and think you got a much better deal.

That's exactly how I felt. Fisher is tougher and much better in the D-zone.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:38 PM
glenngineer

Quote:

We did get the better deal. Versteeg is now with what, 3 teams in less than 3 years? I've heard he's not the consummate teammate. Fisher, by all accounts, is a great teammate and team player. That's exactly what Nashville is all about. He'll fit in great here.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

yes. easily. and then some.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
We needed a center with two-way skill, grit, and experience more than anything. Fisher fills that need and then some. Versteeg would be more of a luxury as a scoring line winger.

I'd make the Fisher deal before I'd make the Versteeg deal. This is Nashville. Fisher's skill set fits far better than Versteeg's would have...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
dulzhok

I didn't ask who's a better fit for our team. I'm looking a sheer value. Very few playoff teams would've taken on Fisher's contract. Non playoff teams probably wouldn't be interested. I think we gave up too much for a big contract.

I take Fisher over Versteeg, but I think Philly got a better value. He's cheaper and only 24 years old, and their 1st rd pick could be 10-15 spots behind ours.

Old
02-14-2011, 09:27 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I didn't ask who's a better fit for our team. I'm looking a sheer value. Very few playoff teams would've taken on Fisher's contract. Non playoff teams probably wouldn't be interested. I think we gave up too much for a big contract.

I take Fisher over Versteeg, but I think Philly got a better value. He's cheaper and only 24 years old, and their 1st rd pick could be 10-15 spots behind ours.
Wasn't it Brian Murray himself who said they had a better offer for Fisher on the table but sent him to Nashville because it was the right thing to do? We know LA was very interested. We know Washington was interested. Frankly I think OTT could have got more for Fisher if they had let a bidding war go on longer till the deadline. It seems he is highly respected around the league and really his contract isn't that bad.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:31 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Wasn't it Brian Murray himself who said they had a better offer for Fisher on the table but sent him to Nashville because it was the right thing to do?
You tell me. I haven't seen that.

LA was rumored to be interested. But, they are already bumped up against the cap. Might be able to squeeze him this year. They have a couple guys coming off the books next year, but they'll also owe some huge raises to others like Doughty. I think it would've been hard to for them to fit in Fisher for the next 2+ years.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old
02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
You tell me. I haven't seen that.
Read some articles from Ottawa on the deal, listen to Murray's press conference the day of the deal. He said there were other offers, some of which could have probably yielded more for Fisher, but that it was the right thing to do for Fisher to send him to Nashville where his family was located and it was something he thought was deserved based on the years of service Fisher had given the Senators and the Ottawa community at large.

No, I'm not going to provide you links. Search for the interview with Murray from that day...the links are easy to find if you wish to hear it for yourself...

As for your initial "value" not "fit"...I think Fisher's fit provided a better value for Nashville than they would have gotten had they traded the same picks for Versteeg. I don't think you can separate the two...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:42 PM
sooner

I looked the transcript up for you. Murray chose Nashville over other teams out of respect for Mike and what he meant to the organization and community.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/tr...nd-the-future/

sooner is offline   Reply With Quote