HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Mattias Karlsson?

Old
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Anca18

vCash: 1850
What happened to Mattias Karlsson?

Does anyone know what happened to him? I'm guessing he's no longer property of the sens?

He played two season in the AHL with the B-Sens and in his second season he recorded 51 points in 73 GP...why was he never given a shot?

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:07 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
he went back home for personal reasons, is playing in the SEL.

he's an RFA and we still hold his rights.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Madskillz65

His feet were too slow, I think he went back to Timra IK in the SEL. I went to a game in Hamilton and he scored a goal to tie it up in the last minute. It was unreal. Was my favourite B-Sen at the time...

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:35 PM
sens2k9

His gf(wife?) got pregnant and he didn't see a shot materializing here, so he went back home to be with his family.
A choice pretty much all of us would also make.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
koreaboy

its really hard to see why those marginal swedish/swiss/german/russian prospects would stay here and slog it out in the AHL if it looks like they aren't going to make it. they can play at home for at least as much money if not alot more, and the hockey and travel is much easier.

the only guys who tough it out are the ones who have to be ULTRA competitive- they want to test themselves against the best in the best league in the world and they won't give up until they get there.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
its really hard to see why those marginal swedish/swiss/german/russian prospects would stay here and slog it out in the AHL if it looks like they aren't going to make it. they can play at home for at least as much money if not alot more, and the hockey and travel is much easier.

the only guys who tough it out are the ones who have to be ULTRA competitive- they want to test themselves against the best in the best league in the world and they won't give up until they get there.
Which is why Murray should draft the best NAs possible, except a guy like Landeskog I think would go to the AHL & wait for his turn, if he had to, he seems to be a high character guy.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Which is why Murray should draft the best NAs possible, except a guy like Landeskog I think would go to the AHL & wait for his turn, if he had to, he seems to be a high character guy.
Swedes and Scandinavians in general seem to dislike the AHL as it promotes a "me first" mentality. Standing out and getting called up are paramount and in Swedish culture, it's more about the collective. That's why you rarely see brash Swedes or any intense showboating. It's also why they seem to be more adverse to the all-star game. I think it's a character thing for guys who bail on the AHL, but it's not a bad thing, it's what also makes them seemingly great teammates in the NHL. This is why I am all for leaving our Swedish prospects in the SEL until they are 100% ready to come over and can understand Karlsson leaving.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:55 AM
albator71

Swedes, Finns and Russians all want to play in the NHL, if not then, they return home and play their respective domestic league.

FYI Elitserien, SM-Liiga and KHL are all better leagues then the AHL in my opinion.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:47 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Swedes and Scandinavians in general seem to dislike the AHL as it promotes a "me first" mentality. Standing out and getting called up are paramount and in Swedish culture, it's more about the collective. That's why you rarely see brash Swedes or any intense showboating. It's also why they seem to be more adverse to the all-star game. I think it's a character thing for guys who bail on the AHL, but it's not a bad thing, it's what also makes them seemingly great teammates in the NHL. This is why I am all for leaving our Swedish prospects in the SEL until they are 100% ready to come over and can understand Karlsson leaving.
I think it is that the AHL sucks, the cities that the teams are in suck to a large degree, the money sucks, and the lifestyle sucks. Why wouldn't a Swede go home, live better and make more money?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I think it is that the AHL sucks, the cities that the teams are in suck to a large degree, the money sucks, and the lifestyle sucks. Why wouldn't a Swede go home, live better and make more money?
Whats wrong with Bingo or Portland?

I would join a beer league before playing in the AHL, won't ever get there though, so beer league it is..

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

The AHl is an excellent development league as is the ECHL, a lot of great NHL hockey players started there & quite a few say it's the best place for prospects to learn the game & how to be a good professional. The KHL or SEL may also be good leagues but because of the larger surface it's a bit of a different game. Most Europeans need to spend a little time in the AHL to learn the NA style of play & learn to deal with the speed & physical game. Nothing wrong with guys playing down there, otherwise NHL teams wouldn't have anyone decent to call up when injuries occur.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Swedes, Finns and Russians all want to play in the NHL, if not then, they return home and play their respective domestic league.

FYI Elitserien, SM-Liiga and KHL are all better leagues then the AHL in my opinion.
No doubt in my mind!

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Id be willing to bet there is ten times the comraderie in the AHL than there is in any league outside Major Jr. hockey. Everyone seems to think the AHL is nothing but a bunch of guys on their hands and knees pathetically staring up in awe at the NHL when in fact its the second best league in the world full of guys that are extremely proud and happy to be earning a very good living doing what they love.

Last edited by Bobby Blowhard: 02-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote