HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds acquire Fisher

Old
02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, I'm not going to provide you links.
Thanks for the info.

I'll search for the interview where Murray says he 'probably' turned down better offers.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobinson View Post
I looked the transcript up for you. Murray chose Nashville over other teams out of respect for Mike and what he meant to the organization and community.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/tr...nd-the-future/
Thanks. I see he says 3 or 4 teams where interested, but I don't see where he says he turned down a better deal.

Old
02-14-2011, 09:50 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
"Value" and "fit" CAN NOT be separated. Poile might give up a bucket of pucks for a top pairing d-man as a rental but you couldn't pay him to take on a big contract on D.

So really the "value" of a player actually relies on the "fit".

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Thanks. I see he says 3 or 4 teams where interested, but I don't see where he says he turned down a better deal.
He said it here. He also mentioned it again in a later interview, but I don't remember if it was with the Ottawa Sun or Citizen.
Quote:
REPORTER: What was his reaction?

BM: What was his reaction? When youíre here a long time, heís disappointed in one extent, but knows that things had to happen, were going to happen in all likelihood here. He thanked me for where I placed him. He thought that if he was going anywhere, that was his No. 1 place to go. Thatís what I told David Poile when we had our conversations about making the deal that, I can pass up on a couple of other deals if we can get this done, because this is where Mike, if he canít be in Ottawa, would like to be.

sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:58 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobinson View Post
He said it here. He also mentioned it again in a later interview, but I don't remember if it was with the Ottawa Sun or Citizen.
He didn't mention if the deals he passed up on were better or worse.

Honestly, I'm not out to try to prove you wrong. It would just shock me if a GM flat out comes out and says he turned down a better trade...

Old
02-14-2011, 10:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
I didn't ask who's a better fit for our team. I'm looking a sheer value. Very few playoff teams would've taken on Fisher's contract. Non playoff teams probably wouldn't be interested. I think we gave up too much for a big contract.

I take Fisher over Versteeg, but I think Philly got a better value. He's cheaper and only 24 years old, and their 1st rd pick could be 10-15 spots behind ours.
well since its been reported that LA and one other team at least had tabled offers for Fisher(with LAs reportedly "better" than ours) I dont know why you make the statement about teams not being willing to take Fishers contract. For a proven player 4/3 isnt really that "big"

and I say the likelihood is the difference in position between our pick and phillys wont be that significant. the difference between picking 1st and picking 10th is huge but the difference between 20th and 29th is not as big a deal

edit: im obviously getting in late on the discussion.. but the TSN story was pretty clear about LA having an offer that was possibly better

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

Honestly, I'm not out to try to prove you wrong. It would just shock me if a GM flat out comes out and says he turned down a better trade...
No one is going to come straight out and say that. You know Murray would like to keep his job afterall...

It was clear though that Murray had deals at least as good from other teams that he passed on to trade Fisher to Nashville. The trade off being that he does what's best for a player and in turn earns the respect of others down the road.

If you don't want to believe it, don't. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:02 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
"Value" and "fit" CAN NOT be separated. Poile might give up a bucket of pucks for a top pairing d-man as a rental but you couldn't pay him to take on a big contract on D.

So really the "value" of a player actually relies on the "fit".
I'm all about finding the right fit to get us to the next level.

Like I said, I think Fisher makes us a better team, but we played a big price in 1st rd pick, and in dollars.

But, is he the guy that gets us to the elusive next level? Like I said... we shall see.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:02 PM
sooner

Carolina was supposedly the team that had the best offer, but that's just a rumor.

sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:10 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No one is going to come straight out and say that. You know Murray would like to keep his job afterall...

It was clear though that Murray had deals at least as good from other teams that he passed on to trade Fisher to Nashville. The trade off being that he does what's best for a player and in turn earns the respect of others down the road.

If you don't want to believe it, don't. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...
That's all I wanted to know. I didn't think a GM would come out say he turned down a better offer.

I guess you can speculate that the other offers where at least as good based on Murray wanting to make it work with Nashville. It's just pure speculation at this point though.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I'm all about finding the right fit to get us to the next level.

Like I said, I think Fisher makes us a better team, but we played a big price in 1st rd pick, and in dollars.

But, is he the guy that gets us to the elusive next level? Like I said... we shall see.
trades at the deadline are never cheap. everyone wants to upgrade and few true upgrades are available.

if you think Fisher makes us a better team, then Poile did the right thing. the only other choice was to sit back and let him go elsewhere. he wasnt going to be a Pred at a cheaper price.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:20 PM
dulzhok

"if you think Fisher makes us a better team, then Poile did the right thing. the only other choice was to sit back and let him go elsewhere. he wasnt going to be a Pred at a cheaper price."

Getting Gaborik for Ellis, Wilson, and 2 1st would make us a better team today as well.

That's speculation that he wasn't going to be a Pred at a cheaper price, unless you've got bugs in Murray's office.

I like Fisher, like I said a couple weeks ago when he was brought up in a thread. I'm not dissing on the guy. I'm on the fence about the trade, because 1) giving up a 1st, when we have little offensive potential in our system, 2) Fisher's salary-- he's got 10milion left on his contract, it also means we'll be over the midpoint unless we cut salary, and 3) If he's the guy that's going to help us score goals in the playoffs. We shall see how #3 plays out.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
"if you think Fisher makes us a better team, then Poile did the right thing. the only other choice was to sit back and let him go elsewhere. he wasnt going to be a Pred at a cheaper price."

Getting Gaborik for Ellis, Wilson, and 2 1st would make us a better team today as well.

That's speculation that he wasn't going to be a Pred at a cheaper price, unless you've got bugs in Murray's office.
you have heard from multiple sources that there were other offers on the table for Fisher. If you are so hardheaded that you refuse to believe these multiple sources then why dont you just stick out your tongue and say "neener neener neener"

deadline acquisitions are by nature pricey. If you think otherwise, you just dont pay attention

Old
02-14-2011, 10:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

I like Fisher, like I said a couple weeks ago when he was brought up in a thread. I'm not dissing on the guy. I'm on the fence about the trade, because 1) giving up a 1st, when we have little offensive potential in our system, 2) Fisher's salary-- he's got 10milion left on his contract, it also means we'll be over the midpoint unless we cut salary, and 3) If he's the guy that's going to help us score goals in the playoffs. We shall see how #3 plays out.
replying to your additions after my first reply..

1. that first we gave up wasnt lilkely to help us before 2014 at the earliest. This franchise needs a playoff run before then. If we get it, we will be in shape to replace any talent we might otherwise be missing.. if not... heaven help us

2. Where do you get 10 million? His cap hit is $4.2 but actual money is 4 then 3. He's owed about 1.3 for the rest of this year

3. As you said, we will see, but hes certainly better than standing pat

Old
02-14-2011, 10:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you have heard from multiple sources that there were other offers on the table for Fisher. If you are so hardheaded that you refuse to believe these multiple sources then why dont you just stick out your tongue and say "neener neener neener"

deadline acquisitions are by nature pricey. If you think otherwise, you just dont pay attention
I never said there weren't other offers. I just said it's speculation as to what the other offers actually were.

I think we paid too much for Fisher. Is it really that hard to handle someone someone's opinon?

Old
02-14-2011, 10:42 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I never said there weren't other offers. I just said it's speculation as to what the other offers actually were.

I think we paid too much for Fisher. Is it really that hard to handle someone someone's opinon?
I can handle that opinion. That speaks to "value" which is a matter of opinion.

What I cant handle is the implication that Poile could have obtained him cheaper. That speaks to "price" which is of course a very different thing than "value" and is not a matter of opinion but is determined by what others are willing to pay for the commodity you want

In almost every trade deadline deal, I think most people would say that the "price" of a player is higher than his "value" due to the nature of in-season trades

Old
02-15-2011, 02:57 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

friedman's '30 things' this week suggested;

LA DIDNT offer more for fisher
CAR DID offer more for fisher, but murray traded him to nashville anyways to do good by him.

02-15-2011, 06:52 AM
deanwormer

Quote:

I don't think a GM can actually say something like that; it smacks of negligence and conspiracy.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
glenngineer

In a world of greedy SOB's, I have to give kudos to Bryan Murray. Not very often that a GM will do the right thing and get the player to the place they would like to be at. I seriously doubt any of the offers on the table were that much more grand than what we paid to get Fisher. To trade a late first round pick to get a guy who fits our system, locker room and community for the next 2+ years is a small price to pay. This isn't a rental, it's a longer term fit. If it were for this year only, I could see it being an overpayment but this guy reeks of everything that our team needs.

One play he made the other night that stands out was extremely simple but shows the knowledge in his game. Weber pinched and the puck went back to the point, who was there, Fisher. He fit in seamlessly. I know it's a simple play and most NHL guys should know to do this but a guy playing his first game with a new team making the right read and covering was impressive in my book. It's those little things, intangibles, that win games and championships. Not saying we're gonna win the Cup because of just that but it sure makes me worry less knowing we've got strong play up the middle now with Fisher.

If Lombardi can make it back next year, and that's a big if, we have 3 of the fastest centers that play solid two way games up the middle and in that, Trotz can match up with teams at home but more importantly, on the road.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
token grinder

tecnically, if carolina and La offered their first it was a better deal since they are below us. They probably had the 2nd pick a gaurenteed pick or a low level prospect.

more than likely slitting hairs here and making a mountain out of a mole hill

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:38 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One play he made the other night that stands out was extremely simple but shows the knowledge in his game. Weber pinched and the puck went back to the point, who was there, Fisher. He fit in seamlessly.
I noticed what I think was the very same play. I remember it because briefly I was nervous (I thought at best the puck leaves the zone, at worst Colorado leaves with it...) but saw Fisher see what was happening and immediately cover. Made me happy...

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-15-2011 at 09:44 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Getting a better player is nice but it's like getting a puzzle piece from another puzzle box. It may LOOK better but it doesn't complete the picture.

Fisher is a MUCH better fit than Versteeg. Nashville needed a center. Nashville needed a two way center because of the forechecking schemes of Trotz.

Pure and simple, Fisher is the player Nashville needed. Versteeg would have been window dressing.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I noticed what I think was the very same play. I remember it because briefly I was nervous (I thought at best the puck leaves the zone, at worst Colorado leaves with it...) but saw Fisher see what was happening and immediately cover. Made me happy...
Fisher definitely fits the bill for what we wanted as a tenacious player. If there was anything last game (Avs) I would've wanted, was have him bury it after that speedy move to slip by the defense and move in on Budaj.

I'm all for a player who is good on/off the ice, who is a team player, and who plays defense just as hard as he plays offense, it's refreshing.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Hielo Grande

Originally Posted by dulzhok

ottawa is in rebuild mode. taking less to accommodate a player and letting it be known will do a helluva lot to attract future players to the team. there are a few teams that are trying to build a rep as teams that treat players with amaple respect. less is more as an investment in future???

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
Originally Posted by dulzhok

ottawa is in rebuild mode. taking less to accommodate a player and letting it be known will do a helluva lot to attract future players to the team. there are a few teams that are trying to build a rep as teams that treat players with amaple respect. less is more as an investment in future???
Your missing the point.

Murray never said he took less. Everyone can put words in his mouth and speculate, but that's all your doing at this point. That's all I'm saying.

Murray traded Fisher to a non-conference team. He got more than most people thought he would considering Fisher's contract. He did fine.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-15-2011 at 02:38 PM.