HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline

Old
02-15-2011, 08:37 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I had a crazy idea as I'm waking up this morning...

To OTT: Lombardi ($3.5M), Dumont ($4M)
Montreal immediately puts Lombardi on LTIR so they can easily absorb Dumont's cap hit. Now that we have Fisher, and Goc/ORLY have turned into a serviceable centermen, we really don't need Lombardi.

To NSH: Salary dump or AK47 + whatever (picks/prospects)
Montreal gets valuable cap space for this year. We are free from Dumont's salary next year.

I know this is highly improbable, but is it possible?
I would say no, but only for the following reason. It sends the message to potential FA in the future that the preds are willing to dump you if you get hurt. As an organization, I don't think they would want that. We need every selling point we can use to lure guys here.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:46 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

Montreal immediately puts Lombardi on LTIR so they can easily absorb Dumont's cap hit. Now that we have Fisher, and Goc/ORLY have turned into a serviceable centermen, we really don't need Lombardi.

Montreal gets valuable cap space for this year. We are free from Dumont's salary next year.

taking on lombardi, then putting him on LTIR doesnt help MTL at all unless they send salary our way in return.

if they are taking Dumont as well there would have to be more than 4 million in salary cioming back to us for it to be a net gain in cap space for the Habs, which defeats the whole puropse of us making the deal in the first place.

Dumont for AK straight up helps us (money wise)slightly this year and hugely next year since AK pobably sign for less than his current 3.125 mil.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would say no, but only for the following reason. It sends the message to potential FA in the future that the preds are willing to dump you if you get hurt. As an organization, I don't think they would want that. We need every selling point we can use to lure guys here.
Exactly. I don't think we want to our organization to have that appearance.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Steve Sullivan says hello.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I seriously think it will be either Blum/COR/Sulzer/Shane + Dumont for AK47 + prospect. Based on everything I have heard, the brothers absolutely love playing with each other and it could be a significant piece of motivation for SK if the organization obtains his brother. They could be our dynamic one two punch on offense...

I really hope it happens. I think it should happen... it potentially could. Watch Dumont's ice time this week. If we see a slight increase, I am sure that is who the Habs are targeting.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
taking on lombardi, then putting him on LTIR doesnt help MTL at all unless they send salary our way in return.
I assume the plan is they would. Frees us up for part of Lombardi's salary this season and able to move ahead with someone else for next year instead of wondering if we'll be stuck paying Lombardi another season. The money for someone not playing affects us more than Montreal, if they get a cap exception that allows them to play someone else. They probably have a few more bucks than Nashville.

I've heard this LTIR trade idea for Lombardi in several places now. But I thought you couldn't trade for a player who was injured and put him on long term IR and get the "replacement player" cap exception? I guess not, but that's what I thought I had heard.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I've heard this LTIR trade idea for Lombardi in several places now. But I thought you couldn't trade for a player who was injured and put him on long term IR and get the "replacement player" cap exception? I guess not, but that's what I thought I had heard.
This was my main question. I'm not sure if it's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not allowed because it's almost a form of cap circumvention.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I assume the plan is they would. Frees us up for part of Lombardi's salary this season and able to move ahead with someone else for next year instead of wondering if we'll be stuck paying Lombardi another season. The money for someone not playing affects us more than Montreal, if they get a cap exception that allows them to play someone else. They probably have a few more bucks than Nashville.

But with his contract uninsured how likely is MTL to eat two more years of 3.5 mil salary just to get a little cap relief?

the only way it makes any sense is if they send us a player owed money over multiple years and that certainly isnt going to be in polies plan... if thats the case why not just keep dumont?

Old
02-15-2011, 10:23 AM
OpenWheel

Well, if it makes the trade they want to happen, they pay the money instead of a better package of picks or players. I don't know. I doubt Poile wants to add salary either... So he'd need to move some. And Montreal may expect Lombardi to return just as we do next season, but they may be able to take a risk financially. They seem to play a fairly fast game that Lombardi would fit.

I don't understand the Dumont waiving his no move clause. If I was him I'd sit on my big contract and play my 8 minutes and save some wear and tear. Although he's not the type to try to stick it to anyone. But I would if I was him...

Old
02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
But with his contract uninsured how likely is MTL to eat two more years of 3.5 mil salary just to get a little cap relief?

the only way it makes any sense is if they send us a player owed money over multiple years and that certainly isnt going to be in polies plan... if thats the case why not just keep dumont?
Yes, that is why I have "salary dump" going to Nashville. Say they send us Spacek. It would be favorable to us because Spacek as a 2nd pairing dman would be more useful than Dumont as a 4th liner, at least in my opinion.

I meant to add a dman prospect to sweeten the pot (Blum/Roussel or whatever).

Like I said, I know it's improbable. Mostly just wondering if it's possible. Not sure on the rules of trading injured players.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Steve Sullivan says hello.
Kinda my point. As an organization we need that reputation of standing by its players and not abandoning them.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

Damn you, you beat me to the punch. Right now Fisher makes Lombardi expendable. You can have lines centered by this

Fisher
Goc
Legwand
Smithson
O'Reilly.

Montreal gets a center who will be ready next year and Dumont. In one of the rare times where BOTH teams get something cap wise you have Lombardi who gives Montreal cap space to pay for Dumont. Nashville saves on salary for the next couple of years to pay for contracts and an uninsured contract.

Also Montreal's center depth looks like this.

Plekanec
Gomez
Desharnais
Halpern UFA

Do I think Lombardi, Dumont, A bottom end defenseman can get AK? Nope. Even then another forward on top of this would have to be moved to make room for AK.

I would love to see Nashville make a move for Montreal's 1st.

1) It would give Nashville a 1st back

2) Remember you MUST have YOUR 1st to make an offer sheet. There are 29 teams in the NHL and each time they trade away their 1st they lose a chance to make an offer sheet.

3) This could be one of the rare times where you can trade a lot of stuff that you can't use to get better. It's an HF dream come true.

Teams want Tootoo's grit
Lombardi can pay for Dumont
Sulzer is way past due to get playing time and Laakso, Johnson are in Milwaukee to be the defenseman.

This could be a very interesting opportunity

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Kinda my point. As an organization we need that reputation of standing by its players and not abandoning them.
Problem is that I thought it was insane to bring Sully back and he proved me wrong. Lombardi has had TWO long term concussions and that scares the living **** out of me. I'm pulling out an NBA term where the contract is more relevant that what the player brings to the ice.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

You guys got spacek from us apparently

http://tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
You guys got spacek from us apparently

http://tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/
Do they know something that we don't ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Do they know something that we don't ?
Well, his contract DOES last as long as Dumont's. LOL!

Old
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
OpenWheel

And they're right, he IS very doubtful for tonight's Predator game.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
And they're right, he IS very doubtful for tonight's Predator game.
well just for the fun of it, would a spacek-dumont swap make sense for you guys?

i know i would be all over it if the habs can somehow grab another depth defenseman or if gill isnt out for much longer...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
well just for the fun of it, would a spacek-dumont swap make sense for you guys?

i know i would be all over it if the habs can somehow grab another depth defenseman or if gill isnt out for much longer...
Isn't Spacek having an exceptionally bad year? If so, I'd just as soon hang on to Dumont...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Isn't Spacek having an exceptionally bad year? If so, I'd just as soon hang on to Dumont...
Quote:
The Montreal defense last year featured three of the league leaders in giveaways. Roman Hamrlik was third, Jaroslav Spacek was fourth and Hal Gill was eighth in the league in giveaways. Perhaps it was the successful playoff run, perhaps the veterans have started listening to their coach, but whatever has happened, they have cleaned things up in their own zone. Jaroslav Spacek is the worst on the team so far this year with 47 giveaways. That's only 18th worst in the league, a marked improvement. The high risk PK Subban has a mere 27 giveaways and balances that out with 19 takeaways of his own.
Bleacher Report - Montreal Rested from All-Star Break

Old
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Problem is that I thought it was insane to bring Sully back and he proved me wrong. Lombardi has had TWO long term concussions and that scares the living **** out of me. I'm pulling out an NBA term where the contract is more relevant that what the player brings to the ice.

I am not opposed to trading the guy, just not right now. Let the guy rehab, play and then go from there. We still don't know what we have in him.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Bleacher Report - Montreal Rested from All-Star Break
He's up to 12th now. Klein is 51st.

We need someone better with the puck than Klein, not worse...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:

further more, didn't nichol KO him after a slew foot?

(rhetorical question, of course he did and got suspended for standing up for himself)

I will boo him if he is ours and have signs that say never forget with a picture of it. screw that guy

Old
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:

Didn't say I wanted him either. But he is defensive depth and is even on the money to move Dumont to free up room for a forward Trotz would actually play.

I would rather keep both Dumont and Sulzer than have two new guys try to plug in at this stage.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-15-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old
02-16-2011, 08:59 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

sooooooo.... what does JP being scratched do to the theory that MTL is here looking at him? Does it mean the deal for him is already done and the Habs are just scouting the other piece of the deal?

You would think if they were here to scout JP he would have skated...