HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade around Versteeg and Van Riemsdyk

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
I think if you acquired Kaberle, he'd re-sign with you. In fact, at this point, it's almost inevitable that he's going to re-sign wherever he's traded to.
It would have to be A) done beforehand, not after; B) for AT LEAST three more years; and C) at or below his current deal. Those criteria should make it impossible. Absolutely no way, shape, or form does Carle and/or JVR go in a deal for a UFA Kaberle.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
well looking at the team that have won the cup in the past 31 years all but TWO of them have had cores built around Mostly Canadians and all but TWO of them had Canadian captains the two exceptions being the 99 stars who had Hatcher as Captain and the 08 wings who were led by lidstrom.

do you actually think that is oure concidence?
Ok. What about the 26 or 27 other teams built with Canadians that lost the cup?

Or the 11 or 12 teams built around Canadians that fail to make the playoffs? Hopefully this makes your realize how ****ing stupid your logic is.

Last edited by DrVanntastic: 02-14-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old
02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
dougd

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
What's wrong with having Americans?
If they're goalies, they will always be Yanked.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
Ok. What about the 26 or 27 other teams built with Canadians that lost the cup?

Or the 11 or 12 teams built around Canadians that fail to make the playoffs. Hopefully this makes your realize how ****ing stupid your logic is.

So true.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I think I speak for all Flyers fans when I say we fully expect to hold on to JVR. Stating what we would expect is just going to cause trouble.
Fair enough. I expected such an answer, seeing as it doesn't really make sense to have to trade a guy like him if you are looking to bring in some help for the playoffs.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Fair enough. I expected such an answer, seeing as it doesn't really make sense to have to trade a guy like him if you are looking to bring in some help for the playoffs.
Yup, I see Versteeg for JVR as a lateral move right now and bad for Philly in the long term. As a Leafs fan I'd love to see it happen, but there'd have to be a big piece going back to the Flyers for this to make any sense.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:08 PM
MatthewT

of course, hes american.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
To play along, what would you expect to get in return if JVR was on the table? From Toronto specifically.
Nothing you've wanna give up, I am sure. The return would be for the future, not winning now. No offense, but there is no one on the Leafs right now who is the missing piece to a Cup for Philly. 2012 1st rounder would absolutely have to be in that package, and that would be three in a row gone for Toronto. We can't afford to take on anyone big, and Holmgren does NOT want to move any of the top-6 defensemen. Not even for Kaberle.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:17 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Nothing you've wanna give up, I am sure. The return would be for the future, not winning now. No offense, but there is no one on the Leafs right now who is the missing piece to a Cup for Philly. 2012 1st rounder would absolutely have to be in that package, and that would be three in a row gone for Toronto. We can't afford to take on anyone big, and Holmgren does NOT want to move any of the top-6 defensemen. Not even for Kaberle.
Fair enough, like i said before, i didn't think it made any sense for the Flyers to trade JVR at all. Versteeg is pretty much the only moveable piece that the Leafs have that may actually get some value, other than that, they can't afford to trade anything else.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
I disagree here.

What would be the point of trading him for the future if he is the future. I think the only way he gets traded is if it's for something that helps you win now.

No offence here but this is kind of a big season in terms of trying for a cup. Pronger, Timmonen, Briere are not going to get any younger. Your core players are all having great healthy seasons, which is kind of rare (hope I don't jinx anything). Next year you're going to have to resign Leino and Carcillo among others. Also, there's a chance that Bobrovsky doesn't repeat what he's doing this season, due to sophomore jinx, or whatever. Everything is going really well this season.

I really think Holmgren pushes hard to get some significant pieces to win a cup this season. Versteeg would be a great addition. Btw, I'm not saying JVR for Versteeg would be a good trade, just saying that Versteeg would be a good addition, and, on a separate note, that trading JVR would only happen if it was for someone who helps you win now.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
HockeyRulez
Panthers..... WIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
of course, hes american.
????

Old
02-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
????
Burke is American and thus targets all American players for the Leafs.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
mercury

Quote:
I disagree here.

What would be the point of trading him for the future if he is the future. I think the only way he gets traded is if it's for something that helps you win now.
There is no point, really. But there is no one on the Leafs that would be the guy putting us over the top, so why would we trade for the sake of it?

Quote:
No offence here but this is kind of a big season in terms of trying for a cup. Pronger, Timmonen, Briere are not going to get any younger. Your core players are all having great healthy seasons, which is kind of rare (hope I don't jinx anything). Next year you're going to have to resign Leino and Carcillo among others. Also, there's a chance that Bobrovsky doesn't repeat what he's doing this season, due to sophomore jinx, or whatever. Everything is going really well this season.

I really think Holmgren pushes hard to get some significant pieces to win a cup this season.
I completely disagree. I think he was 100% honest (and probably correct) we he said they were looking to get "deeper, not better." Glencross, Cole, Stillman, someone like that for no major roster player or 1st rounder. Also, Briere is having one of his best seasons ever, and Bobrovsky is just very good.

Quote:
Versteeg would be a great addition. Btw, I'm not saying JVR for Versteeg would be a good trade, just saying that Versteeg would be a good addition, and, on a separate note, that trading JVR would only happen if it was for someone who helps you win now.
I am not so high on Versteeg, honestly. And JVR would not go for him unless it's a package with big pluses besides.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Except for Gustavsson, Sjostrom, Mueller, Holzer, Rynnas, Versteeg, Armstrong, Orr, Gunnarsson, Wallin, Beauchemin, Giguere, Mikus, Phaneuf, Aulie, Macarthur, Kadri, Blacker, Devane, Lupul, Gysbers, Bozak, Brent, Stefanovich, Brunnstrom, Zigomanis, Caputi, Lundmark, Scrivens and whoever else Burke signed/traded for since taking over the Leafs that isn't American, right?

Old
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Why do you keep replacing JVR with other players names? It's no where near the same thing because there is no way in hell that Giroux gets moved by the Flyers. He's a real gem and has beyond what they expected out of him. I don't understand why you keep replacing JVR with names of people who are untouchable. JVR isn't untouchable. He's very much out there and available for the right deal if it helps the Flyers towards a cup.

First of all, I'm going to say it again - the Leafs forum doesn't say JVR in exchange for Versteeg...

Second - the Flyers forum actually did have a thread titled 'Versteeg in Flyers future plans', but it was moved to a thread dedicated to deadline deals talk... seriously... go check for yourself.
This is going on for too long, leading no where, I'm going to say "okay" to whatever you said.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Except for Gustavsson, Sjostrom, Mueller, Holzer, Rynnas, Versteeg, Armstrong, Orr, Gunnarsson, Wallin, Beauchemin, Giguere, Mikus, Phaneuf, Aulie, Macarthur, Kadri, Blacker, Devane, Lupul, Gysbers, Bozak, Brent, Stefanovich, Brunnstrom, Zigomanis, Caputi, Lundmark, Scrivens and whoever else Burke signed/traded for since taking over the Leafs that isn't American, right?

I was more or less being sarcastic when I said it

Quote:
There is no point, really. But there is no one on the Leafs that would be the guy putting us over the top, so why would we trade for the sake of it?
I respectfully disagree. I really think you can trade JVR for someone who would be of much more help for winning the cup. But I do agree it may not be on the Leafs. I think MacArthur, Kulemin, Schenn would great additions... they're unproven in playoffs though, and I'm almost 100% sure they're not going anywhere

Quote:
I completely disagree. I think he was 100% honest (and probably correct) we he said they were looking to get "deeper, not better." Glencross, Cole, Stillman, someone like that for no major roster player or 1st rounder. Also, Briere is having one of his best seasons ever, and Bobrovsky is just very good.

And well yes, but doesn't making your team deeper, make your team better?
Also, Briere is having his best season as a Flyer, but it's in no way close to his best season - remember he had 95 points one season. Then again... you did say one of his best seasons. I'm just gonna say I'm not sold on Bobrovsky just yet. Ever since Raycroft, and now Mason, I've been wary of goalies with good rookie seasons.

Quote:
I am not so high on Versteeg, honestly. And JVR would not go for him unless it's a package with big pluses besides.
That's fair, I never said Versteeg for JVR would be a fair deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
This is going on for too long, leading no where, I'm going to say "okay" to whatever you said.
Should've quit a while ago.

Last edited by Sergei Berezin: 02-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old
02-13-2011, 11:11 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

csn needs to fire tim panaccio and give his job to bill meltzer.

Old
02-15-2011, 06:48 AM
smitty10

Quote:
I was more or less being sarcastic when I said it
I'm aware. I know there are many people who actually think that though so I was just listing all of the non-American's that he's acquired/signed so people could see.

I wish we could have got Van Riemsdyk, but I guess the 1st + 3rd is a decent deal. Hopefully Burke flips the 3rd + so we can get a good center + 3rd line winger.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:44 AM
birddog*

Quote:
When will this myth stop? There are 4 Americans on the Leafs. Thats it.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd View Post
If they're goalies, they will always be Yanked.
I see what you did there.

Old
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I'm aware. I know there are many people who actually think that though so I was just listing all of the non-American's that he's acquired/signed so people could see.

I wish we could have got Van Riemsdyk, but I guess the 1st + 3rd is a decent deal. Hopefully Burke flips the 3rd + so we can get a good center + 3rd line winger.
JVR wasn't really on the table. If he's dealt, the Flyers would expect someone just as young with more potential. So, in other words, he wasn't getting dealt.

Old
02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 50
I think we can put an end to this thread.

Closed Thread