HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

I hope we get nobody at the trade deadline

Old
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I agree. Getting a player like Booth who is a 26 yr old LW with 4yr left at $4.25 cap hit is not a bad idea especially if it only costs a package like Moller,Teubert and 1st rd pick.

As we all know LA has guys like Williams, Handzus, Poni and Sturm all becoming UFA's. Maybe Handzus signs a one yr deal at a lower cap hit or Sturm signs a one year deal to bounce back and prove he can still produce, but Williams will be looking for a raise and longer term. A deal for a younger player with term left on his contract helps LA not have to over pay to keep certain players.

At worse I'd like LA to trade for a guy like Zherdev who may be available for a 3rd rd pick as Philly may need the cap space. One thing is becoming certain is that Kopitar is gonna need another legit 1st line talent to help with scoring.

As for C.Stewart in COL he would be an ideal winger for Kopitar. I would have no problem with LA trading Schenn or even Bernier for him.
See, this is my point. Booth has 15 goals in 55 games and is on pace for a 42 point season and he's worth two decent prospects and a 1st? He's not even earning that $4.25 million cap hit, nevermind the fact he's signed for several more years to it. How in the world is he worth that kind of return? If Booth is worth that, shouldn't Stoll be worth about the same? Wouldn't you run laughing to the bank if someone offered two solid prospects and a mid-1st for Stoll?

A 3rd for Zherdev I'd do. The kid is a more natural goalscorer than almost anyone in the market and if he flops, let him go. We are out a 3rd, no biggy.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
This team will not win the Cup with the current lineup.

So if you support the status quo, you are punting the season.

If you want to see the team compete for the Cup this year, then changes need to be made.
That's where I challenge you and this team. We have great goaltending and the best defense in the league. There's no reason why we can't win in the playoffs, especially with Sturm and Parse back. At the very least they will add some level of offense.

I also never said I support the status quo, I said at the current prices I'd rather not pay that amount of assets to acquire highly overrated talent. Kris Versteeg is a 25 goal 50 point player, and only at this point in the season is that worth a 1st and 3rd.

Like I said, if we go and add a guy like Stillman, or as another poster suggested Zherdev, at a reasonable price, I'm for that. But, based on what is available on the rumoured market in terms of forwards, no one is a legitimate front line player and yet the Flyers paid a front line price. I'm not down with that, at all, and I'm more than comfortable adding a lesser piece, or nothing at all, and asking this team to win 2-1 games all playoffs long.

It's not like we are faltering down the stretch either, we are 7-0-2 in our last nine, much of which has been on the road.

Old
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
KingsFan7824

I'm not sure a trade deadline passes where a team does nothing. It's like free agency. Every team signs a free agent or two in the summer. They may not be good moves, they may not work out, but they get done.

The Kings will do something before the deadline. Guaranteed that it won't be a move that everyone likes for countless reasons, but they'll add somebody.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The Kings will do something before the deadline. Guaranteed that it won't be a move that everyone likes for countless reasons, but they'll add somebody.

Modin, again?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
I'm not sure a trade deadline passes where a team does nothing. It's like free agency. Every team signs a free agent or two in the summer. They may not be good moves, they may not work out, but they get done.

You are likely right, though i think you also understand where I was come from as well. I'm just not interested in shelling out great picks/prospects for someone who is a career 25 goals 50 point player on average, something it seems most posters here forget we already have in guys like Williams, Brown, Kopitar, Smyth, etc. All we read about on this board is that the Kings need a front line player, they need a goalscorer, they need a top end player, and then the deadline appraoches and we want to throw 1sts and prospects at guys like David Booth?

Old
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
HeadInjury

I don't think DL will acquire someone for the sake of acquiring someone. I don't see why people are high on Hemsky or Booth. Their teams are interested in getting rid of them because they are damaged goods. Neither is much of an improvement over Zeus or Sturm.

That said, I do want DL to acquire someone. I don't mind overspending if it fills a need. You'd think that Zeus, Sturm and Poni will be gone this summer. If you look at the pipeline, there's nothing on the horizon on the left side (other than maybe Maxim Kitsyn). The only other unknown right now is Parse and even he is a UFA after next season. So something has to be done, either at the deadline or during the offseason on the left side. At least a trade brings certainty.

We might be entering an era where we are bascially set at center, defense and in goal for the next 5 years or so. How many prospects and draft picks do we really need? We can focus on quality instead of quantity. That means DL has a lot of assets to play with. Hopefully he can get a better player than the ones that are being suggested recently as targets.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Kingurentai

I agree with Orenji 100%.

I'd love to see a Simmer-Kopi-Stewart line, or even Stew simmer + Brown. Simmer always seems to step up his game when playing with Kopitar. Not that Stewart is a savior level forward, but him and Simmer together would add toughness, more room for Kopi, get Simmer to care every night, and pretty sure would boost overall team morale.

Their kind of toughness would really be helpful in the playoffs. We got worked last year by Vancouver on that front.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
tomd

There are 23 teams that still have a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year.

That means 23 teams are potential buyers and only 7 are sellers.

The 7 sellers aren't interested in giving you their best young players.

The 7 sellers ARE interested in giving you their overpaid cr@p for the highest price they can get.

If DL plays that game then he is a fool...as is any kings "fan" who wants him to play that game.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

So many have such passive, reaction-based approaches to building a hockey club. Wait... wait... wait... see what's out there... let it come to you... only act under the perfect circumstances... sleep safely in your bed under your quilt made of wuss.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
So many have such passive, reaction-based approaches to building a hockey club. Wait... wait... wait... see what's out there... let it come to you... only act under the perfect circumstances... sleep safely in your bed under your quilt made of wuss.
Most meaningless post in this thread...thanks for contributing.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Most meaningless post in this thread...thanks for contributing.
You confuse meaningless with 'offends me'.

There are hockey deals out there to be made.

Simply brushing aside all possible trades as "overpaid crap" is not just meaningless on your part. Its wrong.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:42 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Yes. Because the Dave Taylor philosophy of trading good young prospects for washed up vets worked sooooo well.

I don't think anyone on this thread is against trading for a Parise or B Richards type player, but people are seriously delusional if they think Booth or Penner or Versteeg are going to take us to the promised land.

And if we did trade for another plug, we'd be sleeping under a quilt made of steel? So basically since some of us want to use picks and prospects to land a star instead of parcelling them out piecemeal for a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners, we're passive and wussies? Ok then.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:52 AM
tomd

Quote:
You confuse meaningless with 'offends me'.

There are hockey deals out there to be made.

Simply brushing aside all possible trades as "overpaid crap" is not just meaningless on your part. Its wrong.
Yes, there are deals to be made but you have NO IDEA what they are or what the cost would be.

I love how guys like you think that other teams exist just to give us their best players for our cast-offs.

Come join the rest of us in the real world when you can get out from under your quilt.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Yes. Because the Dave Taylor philosophy of trading good young prospects for washed up vets worked sooooo well.
Ironically, it did. Traded Grebeshkov and Tambellini for Parish and Sopel. Traded Sopel for picks, one of which was used on Simmonds. Brilliant move!

The only other bad prospect for washed up vet trade during the DT period that I can think of was Aulin for Carter, but Aulin never amounted to anything anyway.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What is nobody's cap hit? Does he have an injury history? Is he signed beyond this season? I hear Nobody works hard, always trying to prove he is somebody.
Nobody owes me money!

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:59 AM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Hemsky or Booth or Versteeg or anyone better than Trevor Lewis makes us a better team.

You can always know how this team is doing by the threads. You would never see a thread pop up like this in the midst of a 4-game losing streak. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you still don't have a weakness in the top 6.

We have scored 12 goals on this 6-game road trip thus far. If it wasn't for Quick, Bernier and the defense this would be a disaster.

We get shut-out by Minnie and get a point, a loser point for scoring one in Pittsburgh, and a win scoring one goal in Philly.

We only beat edmonton because the PP showed up. Played decent against Calgary and got a win, same for Washington.

Scoring goals is still an issue despite the run we are on, and I still expect it to be addressed. Quick and the defense are coming through right now...we aren't going to be as lucky in the playoffs scoring only 2 goals per game.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Ironically, it did. Traded Grebeshkov and Tambellini for Parish and Sopel. Traded Sopel for picks, one of which was used on Simmonds. Brilliant move!

The only other bad prospect for washed up vet trade during the DT period that I can think of was Aulin for Carter, but Aulin never amounted to anything anyway.
Dean traded Sopel, not Dave Taylor.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:01 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Dean traded Sopel, not Dave Taylor.
Oh, I know that. But all that proves is that DT was ahead of his time.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

I don't think anyone on this thread is against trading for a Parise or B Richards type player, but people are seriously delusional if they think Booth or Penner or Versteeg are going to take us to the promised land.

And if we did trade for another plug, we'd be sleeping under a quilt made of steel? So basically since some of us want to use picks and prospects to land a star instead of parcelling them out piecemeal for a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners, we're passive and wussies? Ok then.
Dave Taylor? One trade does not a consistent trend make. Once again a black and white view of things is the wrong way to go.

The problem is that everyone expects one trade to "take us to the promised land"

That's not really how it works. One step at a time. One improvement at a time. Obviously if a Parise trade is there, then AWESOME! Odds are... that's not going to happen. So you do what you can, you improve where and when you can, instead of childishly refusing everything except your dream trade.

Last edited by JDM: 02-15-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old
02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Yes, there are deals to be made but you have NO IDEA what they are or what the cost would be.
That's where you are wrong. I don't share all the information I get. Take it for what its worth, but I do know of potential trades and offers that have been made and what players they involve. I'm just waiting to see if Dean pulls the trigger.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
That's where you are wrong. I don't share all the information I get. Take it for what its worth, but I do know of potential trades and offers that have been made and what players they involve. I'm just waiting to see if Dean pulls the trigger.
I will have to admit that there is one rumor I have heard that I would pull the trigger on if I was Dean. I wonder though with all the stupidity that has been demonstrated in the giving away of 1st round picks, if the price of that acquisition has gone up and is no longer something Dean is considering.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
northernKing

Quote:

Taylors trades may not have really helped LA but they didn't hurt either. Who out of the prospects DT traded are still playing in the NHL? Tambellini? Grebeshkov no, Aulin no, Anshankov no. Lombardi sent Boyle and Purcell out and didn't keep Moulson around!

Heck when DT traded for Carter and Straka they both went down with injuries which was bad timing for LA. However both went on to prove they were far from washed up. Unfortunately in Carter's case he got a bit too greddy after a very good year playing with the Sedins.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
tomd

Quote:
ah, we have another Matt Barry in our midst...start a blog and enlighten us!

Old
02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Crazy, isn't it? As I've said in a previous thread, JB is the new JJ now that JJ has committed to the Kings. People are just willing to give him away to a team because the grass is always greener.
At the beginning of the season many would have said this was wishful thinking on LA's behalf. Stewart started the season really good but then got hurt. I am a big Bernier fan ever since I saw him play in the Memorial cup. However this year Quick is establishing himself as an elite goaltender.

Giving him away???? You have to give quality to get quality unless you are taking on a bad contract. Stewart brings alot of things that are missing in LA's lineup. Big strong goal scoring winger who fights and sticks up for his teammates.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Taylors trades may not have really helped LA
Exactly... Thats the point I was trying to make. From what I see on this thread, people are going ballistic because they think we should trade for someone like a Booth. He may not really help LA, but hey, we need to make a trade! That's the attitude thats wrong in this thread.

Booth's a nice player and all that, but he's not solving our 1st Line LW problem.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote