HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I hope we get nobody at the trade deadline

Old
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I will have to admit that there is one rumor I have heard that I would pull the trigger on if I was Dean. I wonder though with all the stupidity that has been demonstrated in the giving away of 1st round picks, if the price of that acquisition has gone up and is no longer something Dean is considering.
Its possible. I wonder if we havae heard of the same deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
ah, we have another Matt Barry in our midst...start a blog and enlighten us!
Oh god no. Have a blog. Not a rumor blog. I wouldn't have said anything, but you made an incorrect statement towards me, so I corrected you.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Oh god no. Have a blog. Not a rumor blog. I wouldn't have said anything, but you made an incorrect statement towards me, so I corrected you.
Fair enough.

Your idea of a "good" trade may be far different from mine though. So just be careful when you say that there is a "good" trade on the table and DL didn't pull the trigger. DL may have a very good reason for not pulling the trigger with the most likely one being it isn't a good deal.

And at the end of the day, I'd trust his judgement over yours.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Fair enough.

Your idea of a "good" trade may be far different from mine though. So just be careful when you say that there is a "good" trade on the table and DL didn't pull the trigger. DL may have a very good reason for not pulling the trigger with the most likely one being it isn't a good deal.
Didn't say it was a good trade. It is a trade I would probably do, though there is some risk. The value isn't a steal, but its not really overpayment either. A little tough to swallow, but bearable. From what I've seen you post, I think you might like it, were it to come to fruition, which it looks like it won't.

Quote:
And at the end of the day, I'd trust his judgement over yours.
I would too.

Old
02-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Its possible. I wonder if we havae heard of the same deals.

speaking of the blog, i was noticing you guys haven't updated the lineup card in quite a while. sup with that? was looking forward to reading what you chaps thought about the recent lines.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:59 PM
tomd

Quote:
Didn't say it was a good trade. It is a trade I would probably do, though there is some risk. The value isn't a steal, but its not really overpayment either. A little tough to swallow, but bearable. From what I've seen you post, I think you might like it, were it to come to fruition, which it looks like it won't.

I would too.
thanks...if it happens I hope it is something that helps the organ-eye-zation both this year and down the road

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
speaking of the blog, i was noticing you guys haven't updated the lineup card in quite a while. sup with that? was looking forward to reading what you chaps thought about the recent lines.
Yeah.... I probably will update it with the weekend games, but as for the rest between when I last updated and now (which I know has been a shameful while), I've been ridiculously busy and didn't really see many of the recent games or have watched them half asleep at 1am before waking up at 6am, so I wasn't able to really keep track.

Also, Murray has damn near broken me!

Glad you like the feature though. Knowing it gets read makes it easier to slog through it.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
So many have such passive, reaction-based approaches to building a hockey club. Wait... wait... wait... see what's out there... let it come to you... only act under the perfect circumstances... sleep safely in your bed under your quilt made of wuss.
Not at all. I'm all for DL making a huge push, whether it's signing a UFA (Kovalchuk) or landing a big name forward in trade. I'm not for him expending significant assets for guys who do not solve our needs. We need a legitimate front line forward who can score 40 goals and we may also need a second line centre. Booth, Penner, etc are neither, and if a guy like Versteeg costs a 1st and a 3rd, I can only imagine what Edmonton now thinks they can get for Penner and Hemsky or Florida thinks they can get for Booth, all three of whom are not a 40 goal scorer or a 2nd line centre.

If saving our assets to maximize their value and add something we NEED means I'm a wuss, then fine. I'm glad to be a wuss.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
You confuse meaningless with 'offends me'.

There are hockey deals out there to be made.

Simply brushing aside all possible trades as "overpaid crap" is not just meaningless on your part. Its wrong.
I don't think anyone is brushing them aside. I know I am brushing aside all trades that require a significant overpayment for a player the likes of which we pretty much have from a production standpoint. If DL had paid a 1st and a 3rd for Versteeg, I know I'd have been upset, and from the sounds of this thread, so would the majority of Kings fans. Save the assets and if you have to overpay, at least do it for something we need.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

While I didn't really care about Versteeg or Fisher, I will say that just because we have guys who produce similarly to them, does not mean they are redundant on the team. Depth is still something to value very highly, and if you can't get your 40 goal scorer, then you get as many 20 goal scorers as you can. IE: Philly.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Yeah.... I probably will update it with the weekend games, but as for the rest between when I last updated and now (which I know has been a shameful while), I've been ridiculously busy and didn't really see many of the recent games or have watched them half asleep at 1am before waking up at 6am, so I wasn't able to really keep track.

Also, Murray has damn near broken me!

Glad you like the feature though. Knowing it gets read makes it easier to slog through it.
ha, yeah, i'd imagine it'd be difficult to do all of the ones between then and now. i mean, half the reason i read it is because i myself don't remember who played where when. it's a case of "wait, was simmonds on the first line then? or was it x?" quite often. so no worries--i was mostly wondering about the recent experiments.

and indeed, murray makes it quite exhausting. if you recall, i proposed starting a thread with the same information that you're providing on your lineup card near the beginning of the season, and you told me you were doing it on your blog. i've been glad ever since, thanks to murray's mad science, that i didn't actually take up the effort.

and yes, it gets read! as do your other articles. some funny (and insightful, of course) **** on there.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Ironically, it did. Traded Grebeshkov and Tambellini for Parish and Sopel. Traded Sopel for picks, one of which was used on Simmonds. Brilliant move!

The only other bad prospect for washed up vet trade during the DT period that I can think of was Aulin for Carter, but Aulin never amounted to anything anyway.
DL was the one who traded Sopel for a 2nd, and then was the one who drafted Simmonds. We had Parrish for 19 games (eight points, no playoffs). If anything, DL saved that deal from being a complete cluster**** by what he got for Sopel and how it was used.

Aulin for Carter was a wash, as they were equally horrible.

The only DT move of picks/prospects for vets I give him credit for was the Jokinen/Palffy trade, but once again, that deal was made at the draft, when picks, and to some extent prospects, have their maximum value. To get a Palffy type at the trade deadline would have cost twice as much, which is why I'd rather we make a big impact trade at the deadline.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Hemsky or Booth or Versteeg or anyone better than Trevor Lewis makes us a better team.

You can always know how this team is doing by the threads. You would never see a thread pop up like this in the midst of a 4-game losing streak. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you still don't have a weakness in the top 6.

We have scored 12 goals on this 6-game road trip thus far. If it wasn't for Quick, Bernier and the defense this would be a disaster.

We get shut-out by Minnie and get a point, a loser point for scoring one in Pittsburgh, and a win scoring one goal in Philly.

We only beat edmonton because the PP showed up. Played decent against Calgary and got a win, same for Washington.

Scoring goals is still an issue despite the run we are on, and I still expect it to be addressed. Quick and the defense are coming through right now...we aren't going to be as lucky in the playoffs scoring only 2 goals per game.
I created this thread and I can guarantee you that if we had lost 10 in a row, I'd have posted the same thing. That cost on Versteeg is an overpayment and LA isn't in the position of a Vancouver or a Philly where an overpayment can be justified as possibly being the final piece of a cup run. There is no way Versteeg, Booth, Penner, etc are the final piece LA needs for a cup run.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I created this thread and I can guarantee you that if we had lost 10 in a row, I'd have posted the same thing. That cost on Versteeg is an overpayment and LA isn't in the position of a Vancouver or a Philly where an overpayment can be justified as possibly being the final piece of a cup run. There is no way Versteeg, Booth, Penner, etc are the final piece LA needs for a cup run.
Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially with an already solid D. If Quick gets hot, the Kings CAN go deep. A player like Penner will absolutely help the offense and make the team better.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
wicker

Quote:
Hemsky or Booth or Versteeg or anyone better than Trevor Lewis makes us a better team.

You can always know how this team is doing by the threads. You would never see a thread pop up like this in the midst of a 4-game losing streak. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you still don't have a weakness in the top 6.

We have scored 12 goals on this 6-game road trip thus far. If it wasn't for Quick, Bernier and the defense this would be a disaster.

We get shut-out by Minnie and get a point, a loser point for scoring one in Pittsburgh, and a win scoring one goal in Philly.

We only beat edmonton because the PP showed up. Played decent against Calgary and got a win, same for Washington.

Scoring goals is still an issue despite the run we are on, and I still expect it to be addressed. Quick and the defense are coming through right now...we aren't going to be as lucky in the playoffs scoring only 2 goals per game.
Perfectly stated. This team is doing well now, but still has some holes. The defense and goaltending has been amazing, but it's possible that they both fall off at some point. It'd be nice to have the offense pick up the slack and make sure the team has a chance to win, even if one of our goalies isn't at his best, or the defense is having a night off.

Keeping the team the same is basically waiting for the issues to come to light again, like they have for so many times this season. I'm sure good players are available, and with how deep we are with prospects, we can afford it. The point is to strengthen the Kings, not to make sure we have the best prospect pool in the NHL. The time is coming to make those moves, and I feel as though some are simply afraid of the unknown. (I fear that management is, as well, but that's another matter entirely.)

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
SMoneyMonkey

The thing about Nobody is that I heard he loves Toronto, thinks Wilson is a great coach, admires Burke and believes in the leafs. So he might go there.

(Too rough?)

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Taylors trades may not have really helped LA but they didn't hurt either. Who out of the prospects DT traded are still playing in the NHL? Tambellini? Grebeshkov no, Aulin no, Anshankov no. Lombardi sent Boyle and Purcell out and didn't keep Moulson around!

Heck when DT traded for Carter and Straka they both went down with injuries which was bad timing for LA. However both went on to prove they were far from washed up. Unfortunately in Carter's case he got a bit too greddy after a very good year playing with the Sedins.
Olli Jokinen.

DL didn't trade away a lot of prospects to be honest, his trades were more veteran for veteran, like the Murray+Stumpel for Allison and Eloranta trade, or else was adding picks/players in dumps like the Rob Blake trade.

As for Boyle, Purcell and Moulson, I don't recall to many fans being upset when they left, but now that we have hindsight it's easy to throw the darts at DL. There were plenty of people applauding DL for getting a 3rd for Boyle, and some even said it was addition by subtraction to trade away Purcell. Moulson, I doubt if anyone shed much of a tear when he left either, in fact I don't recall even one post dedicated to whether or not he should be kept.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:47 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
While I didn't really care about Versteeg or Fisher, I will say that just because we have guys who produce similarly to them, does not mean they are redundant on the team. Depth is still something to value very highly, and if you can't get your 40 goal scorer, then you get as many 20 goal scorers as you can. IE: Philly.
If we had Breire, Carter, Richards and Giroux on our top lines, then trading for Versteeg would have made sense too. We don't have four legitimate first line forwards though, and that's why Versteeg doesn't make sense for us. When you need a goal, you can't put them all on the ice, you can only put out one guy, and we need that go to guy to spark the offense, not act as secondary support for it.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially with an already solid D. If Quick gets hot, the Kings CAN go deep. A player like Penner will absolutely help the offense and make the team better.
Help, yes, but not fill a NEED. We NEED a top guy. Penner will help, but he won't put us above the likes of Detroit, vancouver, etc which is who will be meeting likely at some point, possibly the first round.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
The thing about Nobody is that I heard he loves Toronto, thinks Wilson is a great coach, admires Burke and believes in the leafs. So he might go there.

(Too rough?)
Toronto wouldn't want him though, they have to many nobodies as it is.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:52 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
If we had Breire, Carter, Richards and Giroux on our top lines, then trading for Versteeg would have made sense too. We don't have four legitimate first line forwards though, and that's why Versteeg doesn't make sense for us. When you need a goal, you can't put them all on the ice, you can only put out one guy, and we need that go to guy to spark the offense, not act as secondary support for it.
Again, I agree That we really need a go to Guy, but if u can't get that Guy that doesn't mean you have to sit on ur hands. Improve where you best can.

Its not like we only have assets for one trade. Our pool is deep enough to make one blockbuster even after a lesser trade. Its the hoarding mentality I don't agree with.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Again, I agree That we really need a go to Guy, but if u can't get that Guy that doesn't mean you have to sit on ur hands. Improve where you best can.

Its not like we only have assets for one trade. Our pool is deep enough to make one blockbuster even after a lesser trade. Its the hoarding mentality I don't agree with.
This!

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

I think we kind of agree, just different on the issue of price. I'm all for getting a Versteeg, just not at that price, whereas you seem comfortable with the 1st and 3rd payment. That's fine, we each have our opinions, we'll just agree to disagree on cost, but agree on player acquirement. Fair?

Old
02-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

I just wrote virtually the same thing in the rumors thread.

Beggars can't be choosers and the Kings quite frankly are pretty desperate for some offense. A guy like Versteeg, who still has plenty of upside, would have been a great addition. While the cost was high, you have to give to get. The Kings can either pony up now or the summer but there aren't many options via UFA. Otherwise, they are stuck with what we got.

They might as well have pulled the trigger on one of these guys. I think Fisher would have been a good move too. That would have been an upgrade over Handzus and would be one less thing to worry about this summer. I'm sure that is why DL had interest.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I think we kind of agree, just different on the issue of price. I'm all for getting a Versteeg, just not at that price, whereas you seem comfortable with the 1st and 3rd payment. That's fine, we each have our opinions, we'll just agree to disagree on cost, but agree on player acquirement. Fair?
If you aren't willing to pay the price, somebody else will (and did). You'll be sitting here for a long time trying to get the perfect value. DL is going to have to bend over and take it if he wants to improve the team. There just isn't any other way he is going ot get it done. It is a sellers market and teams aren't going to give players away because they know that there aren't very many options out there. There isn't anything available via free agency this summer either. There is no way around it, DL is going to have to part with something valuable if he wants to fill that hole or add some scoring in some capacity. There is no way around it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
santiclaws

"Hoarding" happens because DL is very particular when it comes to acquiring players. When he feels he found "his" type of a deal - he moves. Witness Johnson, Williams, Smyth, Stoll, Greene all coming here via trade and becoming an integral part of the team. The man is all about getting value for his assets. Having lots of tradeable assets is a problem any GM would love to have. Lombardi has a plan and is sticking to it. Agree or disagree, you know what you're going to get with him. It's the right deal (in his estimation), or it is no deal.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote