HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Kreider on Turning Pro, Tortorella, and the Beanpot

Old
02-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Chris Kreider on Turning Pro, Tortorella, and the Beanpot

Post from Andrew Gross: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...any_decisions/

On turning pro:

Quote:
Obviously, I need to sit down and talk to my parents about it, my coaches, my advise. Itís not going to come up until after the season. Right now, itís not really coming up for discussion.
On Torts's comments:

Quote:
Itís good to hear, obviously, you want the support of the staff. Thatís certainly a good confidence booster for myself. But just like last summer. I have to take every opinion into my decision. but itís good to hear.
On Stepan and McDonagh turning pro this year:

Quote:
I think after Stepanís performance at the World Junior Championships, a lot of people didnít expect that. Ryan Bourque and I were talking about that, how none of these people at Rangersí camp knew how good Step exactly is. He kind of had his coming out party at the World Juniors. I knew McDonagh very well before camp. Heís obviously a great guy, too. Heís a hard worker, a physical specimen. It was just a matter of time before he got called up. Itís good to see college guys successful at the next level.
On envisioning himself in the NHL:

Quote:
Iíd like to. Itís extremely difficult to do. Hopefully I do make it to that point. There will be a lot to improve on, obviously.
On improvement this year at BC:

Quote:
I think Iíve gotten really comfortable in the defensive zone. My line, in particular, we do a lot of line matching and Iíve gotten the opportunity to play against almost every top line.
On winning the Beanpot:

Quote:
It was kind of icing on the cake. When you grow up in the Boston area, you dream about winning the Beanpot, not about winning the MVP. I almost dropped the trophy just in the rush to get my hands on the Beanpot and jump in the pile.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good thing he won the beanpot this year, that way he has less of a reason to go back to college next year.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
GAGLine

Can't help but like this kid.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:38 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

vCash: 50
why would we trade him away?

He and Stepan and Mcdonugh(spell) gonna be Rangers front players years from now!

HankTheTankYoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Really excited. I think he's going to be one of our more dynamic players offensively...by far. His skating is superb!!! Excites me alot. I was going crazy when he scored this goal in 2010:

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:56 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
He had a sick world junior tourney too with 6 goals in 7 games. Seems like the kid is clutch.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Rust Heisenberg

I watch him play almost every home game and I was in attendance for both beanpot games. He's not ready yet. He definitely needs work on his stick handling. He also needs to bulk up a bit. Lately he's been able to body up better against opposing players however earlier on in the season he seemed kind of content with not being physical. If there is one thing about Torts, it's that he wants all of his players to be physical on the forecheck. Also, Kreider disappears at times. Some games he's very noticeable, some games he's invisible. I don't know if it's due to a lack of effort on occasion or what, but it happens. He needs to work on his consistency if he wants to be successful in the NHL.

Aside from that, he will be a great addition alongside Gaborik, as he can match his speed, and also on the penalty kill.

For my sake I hope he stays in BC next year. I don't think he'll make the NHL and having him play in the AHL instead of here at BC would suck. We'd lose a top player, the Rangers wouldn't even be using him, i'd just be disappointed.

We have a few seniors coming off so maybe that will help the cause for those who want him to come out of college (at least I know that the starting goalie is a sr and the back up is just disgraceful). If he does, I do not believe that he'll make the team out of camp next year. He's an incredible talent though.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:25 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Really excited. I think he's going to be one of our more dynamic players offensively...by far. His skating is superb!!! Excites me alot. I was going crazy when he scored this goal in 2010:

That goal makes me giddy as a schoolgirl, filthy.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
That goal makes me giddy as a schoolgirl, filthy.
That goal makes me as filthy as a giddy schoolgirl

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:43 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I watch him play almost every home game and I was in attendance for both beanpot games. He's not ready yet. He definitely needs work on his stick handling. He also needs to bulk up a bit. Lately he's been able to body up better against opposing players however earlier on in the season he seemed kind of content with not being physical. If there is one thing about Torts, it's that he wants all of his players to be physical on the forecheck. Also, Kreider disappears at times. Some games he's very noticeable, some games he's invisible. I don't know if it's due to a lack of effort on occasion or what, but it happens. He needs to work on his consistency if he wants to be successful in the NHL.

Aside from that, he will be a great addition alongside Gaborik, as he can match his speed, and also on the penalty kill.

For my sake I hope he stays in BC next year. I don't think he'll make the NHL and having him play in the AHL instead of here at BC would suck. We'd lose a top player, the Rangers wouldn't even be using him, i'd just be disappointed.

We have a few seniors coming off so maybe that will help the cause for those who want him to come out of college (at least I know that the starting goalie is a sr and the back up is just disgraceful). If he does, I do not believe that he'll make the team out of camp next year. He's an incredible talent though.
Torts seems to think he can play in the NHL. Not sure if your just hoping that he stays at BC or what, but from watching him, he can easily step in and make an impact in the NHL. People were probably saying the same about McDonagh last year and he has fit in pretty well. Maybe he needs 20 games in the AHL, but if he turns pro I guarantee you he makes a positive impact on the Rangers next season.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik ?

HankTheTankYoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
That goal makes me as filthy as a giddy schoolgirl
Haha!

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Bulls9220

What are Bourques plans?

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:03 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

He showed great wheels and a nice move to get by that dman.. but that deke doesn't get by NHL goalies.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
He showed great wheels and a nice move to get by that dman.. but that deke doesn't get by NHL goalies.
I don't about that. He had excellent puck control and so much speed going in on the goalie--tha's what made that work. I think sometimes people overrate things. Stepan for instance has more goals this year in the NHL than he had last year in the WCHA--not known as a shooter--more as a playmaker. If Kreider turns pro he's going to get some goals. Maybe not a ton right away but he has good hands to go along with the skating.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
I think you'd be surprised.

It doesnt get by Hank or Luongo probly, but it most certainly beats a Biron or a Boucher.

02-15-2011, 04:16 PM
haveandare

I'd like to see him on NYR next year if he's ready. He's probably the prospect I'm most excited about at this point.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Torts seems to think he can play in the NHL. Not sure if your just hoping that he stays at BC or what, but from watching him, he can easily step in and make an impact in the NHL. People were probably saying the same about McDonagh last year and he has fit in pretty well. Maybe he needs 20 games in the AHL, but if he turns pro I guarantee you he makes a positive impact on the Rangers next season.
Heard the same stuff about Stepan too.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
eco's bones

Cut in and across the net with speed like that forcing a goalie to go from one post to another creates openings just on its own. There was nothing wrong with that goal or the way he finished it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I think you'd be surprised.

It doesnt get by Hank or Luongo probly, but it most certainly beats a Biron or a Boucher.
it barely snuck by that college goalie. I like his breakaway goal where he shows super human speed though. that one's a gem

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I wouldn't mind seeing him turn pro and playing in Hartford for a couple years before moving up to NY. The kid has a top notch game and he's accomplished nearly all you can at his level already. Beanpot Championship, NCAA Championship, WJC Gold & Bronze. Turn him pro, it's time to move on. Let him win a Calder Cup and a WC then a Stanley Cup to complete his career.

Quote:
it barely snuck by that college goalie. I like his breakaway goal where he shows super human speed though. that one's a gem
Yeah I would have really liked to have seen him roof the puck. It would have demonstrated another level. That's why he needs to take the next step to the Ranger's coaching staff. They bring him there.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Yeah, wasn't impressed with that Kreider goal unless he twirled the puck like a globetrotter and shot the puck tied to a X-15 rocket !

What the hell was he thinkin??

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I didn't say he wouldn't make a positive impact on the team. He's not at full potential yet. He really has to refine his skills before he becomes the type of player everyone on this board wants him to be. Sure, he can come in next year, halfway through, and make some sort of impact... However, he definitely needs to work on consistently making an impact, stick handling, and bulking up. Until then, he won't live up to the NHL expectations that so many people on this board have of him.

If he really improves those area's of weakness, he'll easily be one of the best players for the Rangers. He's not there yet.

Torts can think that he's ready to play and then just as easily send him down to the minors and watch him rot down there. Torts thought Del Zotto could make an impact too.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
The Mouth

Kreider needs another year in College. But Sather wants him bad. I say don't rush him or you can have another MDZ on your hands

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

i know he has speed and skill and size but is he physical?? how good is he at checking and standing in front of the net???

if Kreider can turn into the Rangers version of Ryan Kesler id be happy.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote