HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holik & Kaspar: AM I MISSING SOMETHING???

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Sunshine

vCash: 500
Holik & Kaspar: AM I MISSING SOMETHING???

All that I continue to hear and read about is the forgone conclusion that Holik and Kaspar will be released from their contracts under the new cap...but here is what I do not understand...
Is it unrealistic that either (particularly Kaspar) and/or Hoik are retained through NEWLY restructured contracts?????...as if another franchise is going to offer that much more???
I think not.
I happen to like both players very much (granted not that their current $)
I want both back and I don't see why its not economically feasible considering everyone is under a tight cap.

Old
07-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Fish

It has been reported that teams will not be allowed to renegotiate contracts, nor will they be able to re-sign players they've bought out. Otherwise a team would simply say to the player...hey I'll "buy you out" if you promise to sign with us for 1 million.

Old
07-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
It has been reported that teams will not be allowed to renegotiate contracts, nor will they be able to re-sign players they've bought out. Otherwise a team would simply say to the player...hey I'll "buy you out" if you promise to sign with us for 1 million.
There's always ways around this.

The Rangers can agree to a deal with, say, the Canadiens and trade Holik for Kovalev (and a swap of finances), then each team will buy out the respective players and they can re-sign with their old teams for cheaper deals.

All it takes is creativity (and honesty)...

Old
07-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Phil333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie

The Rangers can agree to a deal with, say, the Canadiens and trade Holik for Kovalev (and a swap of finances), then each team will buy out the respective players and they can re-sign with their old teams for cheaper deals.

I haven't seen anything specifically on this but this might fall under collusion and the deal could be rejected by the commissioners office. Else everyone would do this to renegotiate.

Old
07-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Barnaby

I'm sure that idea wasn't lost to the league when they wrote up the new CBA.

Old
07-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Mike18

Quote:

I expect that the clause was written to say that a player who is bought out by a team cannot play for that team for a certain amount of time. That'd cover all bases.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

I've read in several places that teams will be forbidden to get a player back for a year if they buy them out during this window.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:23 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:

I thought teams might try to do that too but I remember reading that during the period that teams can buy out players, no trades/fa signings/other player movement stuff can take place.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Why is everyone so concerned with saving cap room? If Sather is really going to do this right, we should be no where near the cap for the next few years. So if Holik is really onboard for the rebuild, as he said he is, I don't see why we shouldn't keep him around.

IMO, if Sather and co. are so concerned about clearing cap space, it's a sign that they're going in the wrong direction.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:36 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
All that I continue to hear and read about is the forgone conclusion that Holik and Kaspar will be released from their contracts under the new cap...but here is what I do not understand...
Is it unrealistic that either (particularly Kaspar) and/or Hoik are retained through NEWLY restructured contracts?????...as if another franchise is going to offer that much more???
I think not.
I happen to like both players very much (granted not that their current $)
I want both back and I don't see why its not economically feasible considering everyone is under a tight cap.
I wouldn't buy out either one. Under new CBA 24% rollback they are irreplaceably chip. There's no better 2nd line C than Bobby on the market at the price. Kaspar is not expensive and can be kept with no problems.

The "buyout swap" will not be allowed. The trade will not be approved unless teams issue the written statements assuring they gonna keep the traded players.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:37 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I also here that only one year, the current year is wiped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Why is everyone so concerned with saving cap room? If Sather is really going to do this right, we should be no where near the cap for the next few years. So if Holik is really onboard for the rebuild, as he said he is, I don't see why we shouldn't keep him around.

IMO, if Sather and co. are so concerned about clearing cap space, it's a sign that they're going in the wrong direction.
Any additional years count towards the cap in those years.

Closed Thread