HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dave Maloney on VS last night

Old
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
I was very dissapointed at Maloney's comments. Dissapointed and shocked. Here's a guy that did a decent amount of fighting in his tenure here. Maloney up untill he took his stance there on fighting was one of my favs, but after that I have to rethink it. Not becuase he is on the other side of the fence, but I think he's full of it! I don't truly believe that Maloney said that from the heart. Why do I say this? After the Rangers played the Oil on kids day earlier in the season I ran into him. That was a fight filled game that send the Garden ointo a frenzy. The guy was glowing, and seemed to love what transpired. Was that just a front too? I mean I am a nobody, just a fan to him...so why wouldn't he have spoke out some then?

If Maloney's comments were truly from the heart then I respect his opinion...But I just question what side of the fence he is on. Question that he is speaking out becuase of the brass on that side.

Where's JD when you need him?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

He was more saying that for the sport to survive and do well, fighting should be taken out. I think he is right with that reasoning. BUT I don't care how mainstream it is, I like it, and I like the fighting.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Why would they stop hitting carelessly because fighting is taken out of the game? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just admittedly not really following. I think they'd play cheap more often because they know that the opponent can't physically retaliate and if they do they'll be in much more serious trouble.
If fighting goes then the rules have to be altered and penalties strictly enforced.

IMO, old hockey will have its way until someone is paralyzed or killed, been saying that for a few years now. I've never seen so many on ice accidents and concussions in 30 years of playing/watching hockey.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I can only wonder what Don Cherry will say about Maloney on Coaches Corner next week

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
He was more saying that for the sport to survive and do well, fighting should be taken out. I think he is right with that reasoning. BUT I don't care how mainstream it is, I like it, and I like the fighting.
Yeah I took it that way too.

IMO, you're really not paying attention if you're a long time hockey fan and DON'T see how the game has changed in this regard. It's not trending upward and the relevance of the fights these days are comical.

Fights are not the be all end all of hard, tough, physical hockey, that message does not seem to translate to every fan. There is plenty of honor in hockey. The camaraderie, desire to win, the hard fought playoff like battles will still be there if fighting and disrespectful hits are taken away.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I can only wonder what Don Cherry will say about Maloney on Coaches Corner next week
He hasn't been relevant in hockey in decades, that should tell you something about Hockey's most adamant proponent of fighting.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Please explain that. You are saying ou are pro-fighting, but you think it should be taken out?

To me I think it belongs. It 100% belongs. It's been this way since inception, and it works! Not too mention, that fighting in the sport is not hurting the league one bit. Let's face it, violence sells and while fighting shoudn't be the biggest draw, it certains adds to it rather than subtracting from the overall value of the sport.

The day get to watch a Ruutu, a Matt Cooke, and now even a PK Subban slew foot your favorite player, or crash your all-star forward into the boards head first WITHOUT an answer becuase fighting is banned...That is the day I stop watching the game of hockey.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah I took it that way too.

IMO, you're really not paying attention if you're a long time hockey fan and DON'T see how the game has changed in this regard. It's not trending upward and the relevance of the fights these days are comical.

Fights are not the be all end all of hard, tough, physical hockey, that message does not seem to translate to every fan. There is plenty of honor in hockey. The camaraderie, desire to win, the hard fought playoff like battles will still be there if fighting and disrespectful hits are taken away.
But you're not going to take the disrespectful hits out of ******** like Matt Cooke even with stricter punishment. You'd have to do 10+ games for any head-shot with "intent to injure", which is not necessarily a good thing because Bettman and his cronies are the judge,jury and executioner here and can very easily abuse their powers.

You can take out fighting, fine, but I don't think getting rid of dirty ****s like Cooke would be that clean cut, which is the real issue.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But you're not going to take the disrespectful hits out of ******** like Matt Cooke even with stricter punishment. You'd have to do 10+ games for any head-shot with "intent to injure", which is not necessarily a good thing because Bettman and his cronies are the judge,jury and executioner here and can very easily abuse their powers.

You can take out fighting, fine, but I don't think getting rid of dirty ****s like Cooke would be that clean cut, which is the real issue.
When a dirty hit results in someones life or paralysis, you better believe you'll see a new found respect, it'll be instantaneous and everyone will be amazed at how easy it was to transition to a more respectable game. Its a game, adjustments can be made if they want them.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
When a dirty hit results in someones life or paralysis, you better believe you'll see a new found respect, it'll be instantaneous and everyone will be amazed at how easy it was to transition to a more respectable game. Its a game, adjustments can be made if they want them.
And Cooke ruined Marc Savards career, possibly his life in my opinion. Savard is going to have to deal with PCS forever because of one dirtbag. Has he shown any remorse? Any hesitation to do the same dirty ****? No. He's a *******.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And Cooke ruined Marc Savards career, possibly his life in my opinion. Savard is going to have to deal with PCS forever because of one dirtbag. Has he shown any remorse? Any hesitation to do the same dirty ****? No. He's a *******.
This is why we are here discussing this, good players are losing their careers to ******** hits and players who don't even play the puck.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
Nothing. To Cherry the world is 99% canadian and 1% boston.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

I lose all respect for these guys who get on TV and advocate taking fighting out of the NHL. The theory of attracting fans is a load of ********.

More fans will turn in to see a fight than leave the game because of it. The soccer moms in Nebraska the anti-fighting crowd think we are going to attract aren't going to watch hockey whether players get 5 minutes for fighting or 5 years for fighting.

Hockey's target demographic is males in the 14-50 range I'd assume. The overwhelming majority of males in that age group enjoy fighting.

I am so sick of them constantly taking the physical play out of hockey. That's exactly what they've done and continue to do. Hockey is supposed to be a "man's game" ...

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
You get rid of fighting and you'll see Matt Cooke and other delivering cheap hits every game since they know they can get away with it without having to stand up to anyone.
They already get away with it, they don't fight, they run away or have someone else fight their battles. They also get away with it because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmundus View Post
It would be simple to get rid of fighting:
If Refs called the game how it is written in the rule book you will see less fighting right away.
If Campbell and his goons are fair and hand out suspensions that are not a joke you will see less fights.
To me fighting is not the problem it is the consequence of not calling charging, boarding, slew-foot and hitting from behind. How often do you see a players feet leave the ice when they show "highlight" hits? But the stick gets parallel to the ice or when trying to tie up a stick and it brakes because of what its made of and its 2mins!
Garys incompetence at his job is leading to more carers ending early then any other sports commissioner ever.
I really don't think fighting has much of an impact on the popularity of the game. You really want to make the game popular again? get the game back on freakin ESPN, get it off of this crappy VS network (even with the new merger) that is only in a handful of homes and start showing games on national TV earlier than January/February. Oh yeah, get rid of bettman, campbell and start promoting teams/players besides Pens/Caps and Crosby/Ovechkin.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
chip chipperson*

anyone that thinks fighting should be outlawed is downright wrong. not my opinion, fact.

how many games have you seen turned around because somebody got into a fight and it sparked their team? if you dont like fighting, watch baseball.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
They already get away with it, they don't fight, they run away or have someone else fight their battles. They also get away with it because:

I really don't think fighting has much of an impact on the popularity of the game. You really want to make the game popular again? get the game back on freakin ESPN, get it off of this crappy VS network (even with the new merger) that is only in a handful of homes and start showing games on national TV earlier than January/February. Oh yeah, get rid of bettman, campbell and start promoting teams/players besides Pens/Caps and Crosby/Ovechkin.
even though im not a fan of vs, i absolutly hate espn. they have turned into an embarassing network over the years and would love it if the nhl could find a different network.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
I am so sick of them constantly taking the physical play out of hockey. That's exactly what they've done and continue to do. Hockey is supposed to be a "man's game" ...
How is this NOT a physical league? Where have they taken out hits?

Does a man's game include being concussed to the point you can't function on a daily basis? Do you see whats going on in Football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
anyone that thinks fighting should be outlawed is downright wrong. not my opinion, fact.

how many games have you seen turned around because somebody got into a fight and it sparked their team? if you dont like fighting, watch baseball.
Don Cherry ladies and germs !

Old
02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

Does a man's game include being concussed to the point you can't function on a daily basis? Do you see whats going on in Football?

Don Cherry ladies and germs !
you dont need to be don cherry to know that fighting is in the game for a reason.

if im don cherry your pierre mcguire.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
you dont need to be don cherry to know that fighting is in the game for a reason.
Hockey is played many ways, your way is just different than my way, there is no exact equation to how to play hockey the 'right way'.

If fighting was so solidly embedded in hockey's fabric we wouldn't be having this conversation, nor would the 'fight club' always be in absolute attack mode every time its mentioned.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
You get rid of fighting and you'll see Matt Cooke and other delivering cheap hits every game since they know they can get away with it without having to stand up to anyone.
Cooke wears a shield and turtles now. What is the diff?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Hockey is played many ways, your way is just different than my way, there is no exact equation to how to play hockey the 'right way'.
your way includes elimenating part of the game that has been there since the beginning. a part of the game that serves multiple purposes. hockey is a tough physical sport, no need to water it down.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
your way includes elimenating part of the game that has been there since the beginning. a part of the game that serves multiple purposes. hockey is a tough physical sport, no need to water it down.
I don't see it as being watered down by anyone, the game is evolving away from it, that's the reality, not something one person or a group of people are choosing to do.

The physicality of the game could still be there w/o the fights and w/o the disrespectful hits. Truth is, some people like fights. And to which I say, go watch boxing, MMA or pro wrestling if that's the benchmark of toughness for you.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

If fighting was so solidly embedded in hockey's fabric we wouldn't be having this conversation, nor would the 'fight club' always be in absolute attack mode every time its mentioned.
labeling people that understand why fighting is in the game as the "fight club" tells me everything i need to know about you.

the reason the "fight club" is in attack mode right now is because this is one of the dumbest suggestions i've heard in a long time.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
I am so sick of them constantly taking the physical play out of hockey. That's exactly what they've done and continue to do. Hockey is supposed to be a "man's game" ..
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't a physical league, it still is. However, yes, they constantly are removing physicality from hockey. And taking fighting out is just a continuation down that slope.

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
I don't see it as being watered down by anyone, the game is evolving away from it, that's the reality, not something one person or a group of people are choosing to do.

The physicality of the game could still be there w/o the fights and w/o the disrespectful hits. Truth is, some people like fights. And to which I say, go watch boxing, MMA or pro wrestling if that's the benchmark of toughness for you.
if you think the game is evolving away from fighting, you have not watched hockey the past week. there were plenty of clean fights around those cheap shots this week. so no, thats not reality. the only thing you could possibly say the game is evolving away from is the heavyweight goon.

i like fights but its not because i just like fights. i see the purpose behind them. so if you dont like fighting dont watch, continue knitting