HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Kreider on Turning Pro, Tortorella, and the Beanpot

Old
02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
found these highlights

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
What is Kreiders ceiling in the NHL?

Is any one worried that he isnt putting up great numbers in college? He has what 19 points in 26 games? Thats really not that great for what people are expecting out of him.

Unknownbutfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:16 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous View Post

Is any one worried that he isnt putting up great numbers in college? He has what 19 points in 26 games? Thats really not that great for what people are expecting out of him.
Ceiling is probably 75-75-150

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous View Post

There is plenty of this Kreider discussion going on in the prospect thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
70-60-130

Lets not get crazy here

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Kreider needs another year in College. But Sather wants him bad. I say don't rush him or you can have another MDZ on your hands
I agree, College or the A are fine with me, no reason to promise this kid a lineup spot on the Rangers to get him to turn pro though, nothing wrong with a little more seasoning against better competition.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Lol at the people saying "we don't want another Del Zotto situation" etc. I won't even go down that road.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Lol at the people saying "we don't want another Del Zotto situation" etc. I won't even go down that road.
Yeah, you haven't heard, he's done after two years, its a fact !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I watch him play almost every home game and I was in attendance for both beanpot games. He's not ready yet. He definitely needs work on his stick handling. He also needs to bulk up a bit. Lately he's been able to body up better against opposing players however earlier on in the season he seemed kind of content with not being physical. If there is one thing about Torts, it's that he wants all of his players to be physical on the forecheck. Also, Kreider disappears at times. Some games he's very noticeable, some games he's invisible. I don't know if it's due to a lack of effort on occasion or what, but it happens. He needs to work on his consistency if he wants to be successful in the NHL.

Aside from that, he will be a great addition alongside Gaborik, as he can match his speed, and also on the penalty kill.

For my sake I hope he stays in BC next year. I don't think he'll make the NHL and having him play in the AHL instead of here at BC would suck. We'd lose a top player, the Rangers wouldn't even be using him, i'd just be disappointed.

We have a few seniors coming off so maybe that will help the cause for those who want him to come out of college (at least I know that the starting goalie is a sr and the back up is just disgraceful). If he does, I do not believe that he'll make the team out of camp next year. He's an incredible talent though.
Isn't he at 220 already? Which if true, is incredible at that age. I read he trains like a man possessed.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Even the likes of Zach Parise and Thomas Vanek spent a year in the AHL after going pro. Each only played two seasons in college and were vastly better players at that level.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

AHL please.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
DutchShamrock

Comparing defensive prospects to offensive prospects is apples and oranges. The question with him is what more can he learn playing college hockey. If his development would be better suited by turning pro, then let's do it. I know very little with prospect development but if the staff thinks that he will benefit from the AHL or the NHL, then sign him up and start his pro career.

The one thing that he is going to need is patience from the fans and the staff. Looking at JVR on the Flyers, this is his breakout year. It seemed like they were going to give up on him, maybe he came out too early, maybe he should have been given more time in the A. Then again, maybe the Flyers did everything right and the big kid took this amount of time to get used to his body and the style of the NHL.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I'm anxious to see him here too. But...He's got to prove that he is ready on his own. I don't think the org is going to presssure the development if he isn't ready yet.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:35 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i know he has speed and skill and size but is he physical?? how good is he at checking and standing in front of the net???

if Kreider can turn into the Rangers version of Ryan Kesler id be happy.
Why try to turn him into a player he's not?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
mrhockey193195

Really think this guy can turn into a 30-30 guy at the NHL. Can't wait for him to turn pro.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Stepanformayor*

Lets be careful here. Kreider has 9 goals all year, he is not exactly lighting it up.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Lets be careful here. Kreider has 9 goals all year, he is not exactly lighting it up.
He also had 4 goals in 6 games at the WJC. So he really has 13 goals

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Stepanformayor*

I guess he also scored as a pee-wee, do we know if he scored as a high school player. He has 19 points in his reg. season is my point.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Dorado*

Don't watch any BC hockey , but I stat watch and watched all WJC games . Cam Atkinson by what I read seems to be the focal point of the team as scoring and is putting up more dominant numbers . From what I saw if WJC CK is in the screen the goalie in the slot role on PP , does PK . He has been a dominant player in big games which seems to me that he has the ability to elevate his game and really focus . He has 16 points and almost 20 shots less on goal than Atkinson . He is shooting not scoring as much but my guess playing more of a shutdown role . I see his developing into a very similar player to Dubinsky with more flat out speed . I would love to see Dubi back at center with Ck on left and Gaby on the right as soon as possible and just let Kreider play North south hockey and go to the net . If asap is after a half or full season of AHl then so be it . I would like to see him turn pro and play more games than a college season

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Dorado*

CK also apparently a player that was so physically dominant to everyone up until 2 years ago that I think he is jaut learning how to really play hockey in th last 18 months . His work ethic off the ice and his NHl combine I read was pretty intense . I would think with his skating speed and power alone he should score 20 just about every year if he can keep his stick on the Ice . On the right team at the right time the sky is the limit .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

A poster named 'Stepanformayor' is lecturing other posters about being careful regarding Kreider - irony or hypocrisy?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I didn't say he wouldn't make a positive impact on the team. He's not at full potential yet. He really has to refine his skills before he becomes the type of player everyone on this board wants him to be. Sure, he can come in next year, halfway through, and make some sort of impact... However, he definitely needs to work on consistently making an impact, stick handling, and bulking up. Until then, he won't live up to the NHL expectations that so many people on this board have of him.

If he really improves those area's of weakness, he'll easily be one of the best players for the Rangers. He's not there yet.

Torts can think that he's ready to play and then just as easily send him down to the minors and watch him rot down there. Torts thought Del Zotto could make an impact too.
What 20 year old steps in and immediately reaches full potential? Obviously he is gonna take time to develop and reach his ceiling. I would rather him develop his game at the NHL or AHL level than in the NCAA where theyre only playing 40 games or so. As far as I have seen, he is ready to make the jump to the NHL.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
I'd say 75-75-200

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
CaptainCallahan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'd say 75-75-200
75 games played, 75 goals and 200 assists? Meh. Kreider and a 2nd for Kaberle.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:20 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The kid has dominated at the last two WJC's against the world's elite, and he scores big goal after big goal late in the season even though his coach favors upperclassmen.

Certain guys just have it. He reminds me of Bill Guerin to a T..

If you ask me, if he goes pro, he immediately becomes our best LW

Three left wings are probably gone next season -- Frolov, Fedotenko and Prospal...with Avery a possibility.

I don't care if he goes to the AHL. He won't be there long. But I as much as it pains me to root for B.C., I pray they win another title.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
The kid has dominated at the last two WJC's against the world's elite, and he scores big goal after big goal late in the season even though his coach favors upperclassmen.

Certain guys just have it. He reminds me of Bill Guerin to a T..

If you ask me, if he goes pro, he immediately becomes our best LW

Three left wings are probably gone next season -- Frolov, Fedotenko and Prospal...with Avery a possibility.

I don't care if he goes to the AHL. He won't be there long. But I as much as it pains me to root for B.C., I pray they win another title.
Pretty sure Dubinsky has that locked up, short of a blockbuster trade.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote