HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dave Maloney on VS last night

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
  #51
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
labeling people that understand why fighting is in the game as the "fight club" tells me everything i need to know about you.
Thanks, I've been on these boards so long its kinda easy to spot who just cares about fights more than the actual score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
the reason the "fight club" is in attack mode right now is because this is one of the dumbest suggestions i've heard in a long time.
If it was dumb you wouldn't be so threatened.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:01 PM
  #52
Declan
HFB Partner
 
Declan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Truth is, some people like fights. And to which I say, go watch boxing, MMA or pro wrestling if that's the benchmark of toughness for you.
It's not a matter of just liking fights. Yes, I love the fights. But, they still serve a purpose.

If you don't see that fights OFTEN change the momentum of a game then you are choosing not to.

Obviously you have your opinion, but there's a difference b/n having an opinion and being blind to the truth

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
  #53
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
It's not a matter of just liking fights. Yes, I love the fights. But, they still serve a purpose.

If you don't see that fights OFTEN change the momentum of a game then you are choosing not to.

Obviously you have your opinion, but there's a difference b/n having an opinion and being blind to the truth
Never disputed that at all.

Most of the fights happening today have nothing to do with that, THATS the issue.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
  #54
samash
Registered User
 
samash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
You get rid of fighting and you'll see Matt Cooke and other delivering cheap hits every game since they know they can get away with it without having to stand up to anyone.
I think getting rid of fighting will eliminate players such as Cooke, no?

samash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
  #55
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Thanks, I've been on these boards so long its kinda easy to spot who just cares about fights more than the actual score.



If it was dumb you wouldn't be so threatened.
so now your saying i dont care about the win. i just wrote a post saying fights can spark a team. what do you call that? its called wanting your team to come alive to win the game. you sound like such a little baby.

im not threatended i just hate stupid comments, you then had to call me don cherry and try to label me as some ******* that just likes fights.

you sound like a wnba fan. your following the wrong sport and it shows

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
  #56
Declan
HFB Partner
 
Declan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by samash View Post
I think getting rid of fighting will eliminate players such as Cooke, no?


Definitely not. Unfortunately I see it having the opposite effect. To a significant degree

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
  #57
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Never disputed that at all.

Most of the fights happening today have nothing to do with that, THATS the issue.
there is no issue regarding fighting. if your talking about cheap shots thats a totaly different conversation

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
  #58
Declan
HFB Partner
 
Declan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
im not threatended i just hate stupid comments, you then had to call me don cherry and try to label me as some ******* that just likes fights.
Don't you know all those who want fighting to remain in the game are knuckle dragging morons?

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
  #59
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
even though im not a fan of vs, i absolutly hate espn. they have turned into an embarassing network over the years and would love it if the nhl could find a different network.
I agree with you but really it is about popularity and availability. It would be nice to be able to go to a bar and know the place will have the channel that carries the game, not hoping the bar has it.

That is a little off topic though, my main point was that fighting isn't what hurts the popularity of the NHL. I think that is a weak argument.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:11 PM
  #60
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Don't you know all those who want fighting to remain in the game are knuckle dragging morons?
yup, shame on us for knowing the game

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:14 PM
  #61
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
so now your saying i dont care about the win. i just wrote a post saying fights can spark a team. what do you call that? its called wanting your team to come alive to win the game. you sound like such a little baby.

im not threatended i just hate stupid comments, you then had to call me don cherry and try to label me as some ******* that just likes fights.

you sound like a wnba fan. your following the wrong sport and it shows
I see your true colors, shining through, I see your true colors....

and now everyone else does too.

BTW, you were the guy who made the Cherepanov joke that was truly tasteless and crass, believe me, I know exactly who I'm conversing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post


Definitely not. Unfortunately I see it having the opposite effect. To a significant degree
Why do you assume that fighting would just be taken out without any other significant changes? Its not just about fighting, its also the disrespectful players like Cooke who missile themselves into other players with intent to injure. Its not so black and white, there are grey areas involved and that's why its not been dealt with sooner, though it should have.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
  #62
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I agree with you but really it is about popularity and availability. It would be nice to be able to go to a bar and know the place will have the channel that carries the game, not hoping the bar has it.

That is a little off topic though, my main point was that fighting isn't what hurts the popularity of the NHL. I think that is a weak argument.
i just find their analysts of any sport really terrible. on sunday i dont need to see stuart scott on a make believe football field with a bunch of has beens showing me how a receiver runs a route. if their football sucks i can only imagine what their hockey coverage would be. but i do see your point

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:17 PM
  #63
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Don't you know all those who want fighting to remain in the game are knuckle dragging morons?
No, but if you're here to deny that those posters don't exist on this board well, then who's being the moron?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:18 PM
  #64
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I see your true colors, shining through, I see your true colors....

and now everyone else does too.

BTW, you were the guy who made the Cherepanov joke that was truly tasteless and crass, believe me, I know exactly who I'm conversing with.



Why do you assume that fighting would just be taken out without any other significant changes? Its not just about fighting, its also the disrespectful players like Cooke who missile themselves into other players with intent to injure. Its not so black and white, there are grey areas involved and that's why its not been dealt with sooner, though it should have.
then you know you dont want to talk **** with me cause you will lose. and that chereponov joke was gold. the only thing i regret about it is that i didnt write merry xmas underneath it

you went from fighting to a cheap shot artist which is a different conversation.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
  #65
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,613
vCash: 500
Fighting has never bothered me all that much, but lately I'm growing tired of the staged fights. When Prust was fighting Boulton last week for no apparent reason, I had to roll my eyes.

However, I do enjoy when a player fights because he is sticking up for a teammate, like when Dubi fought Ovechkin after his hit on Girardi. Spontaneous fights can stay, staged fights I could do without.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
  #66
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Fighting has never bothered me all that much, but lately I'm growing tired of the staged fights. When Prust was fighting Boulton last week for no apparent reason, I had to roll my eyes.

However, I do enjoy when a player fights because he is sticking up for a teammate, like when Dubi fought Ovechkin after his hit on Girardi. Spontaneous fights can stay, staged fights I could do without.
The staged fights are ridiculous the league should be absolutely embarrassed that it has come THIS far.

Spontaneous fights are fine, but more and more we see players go after one another after clean hits. That's also gotta go.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
  #67
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The staged fights are ridiculous the league should be absolutely embarrassed that it has come THIS far.

Spontaneous fights are fine, but more and more we see players go after one another after clean hits. That's also gotta go.
you cant have it both ways. you cant say get rid of fighting, the game is evolving away from it and then say spontaneous fights are fine. fights are as much a part of the game as rules such as offsides and icing.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:42 PM
  #68
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Please explain that. You are saying ou are pro-fighting, but you think it should be taken out?

To me I think it belongs. It 100% belongs. It's been this way since inception, and it works! Not too mention, that fighting in the sport is not hurting the league one bit. Let's face it, violence sells and while fighting shoudn't be the biggest draw, it certains adds to it rather than subtracting from the overall value of the sport.

The day get to watch a Ruutu, a Matt Cooke, and now even a PK Subban slew foot your favorite player, or crash your all-star forward into the boards head first WITHOUT an answer becuase fighting is banned...That is the day I stop watching the game of hockey.
I'll explain, what I thought I explained before. I said that in order for the league to grow, and become "bigger" and up to the other 3 main sports fighting should be taken out. Some people don't like the fighting.

Then I said, personally I do not care how big hockey gets, and I like the fights. So personally I would keep them.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:46 PM
  #69
Declan
HFB Partner
 
Declan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I said that in order for the league to grow, and become "bigger" and up to the other 3 main sports fighting should be taken out. Some people don't like the fighting.
Do you honestly think people don't watch hockey because of fighting? Really?

I'd venture to guess that a hellofa lot more people watch hockey because of the fights than will ever stay away because of them

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  #70
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
you cant have it both ways. you cant say get rid of fighting, the game is evolving away from it and then say spontaneous fights are fine. fights are as much a part of the game as rules such as offsides and icing.
I never once said my opinion was anti fighting. IMO, fighting is on its way out slowly, and that is only made worse by these thugs who go out and injure with legal but harmful hits. You can be pro fighting but at the same time have an opinion on how the game is evolving. IMO, we'll never see the game how it was in the old days and maybe just maybe fighting needs to be addressed.

Skating, passing, shooting, checking, making a save, winning a faceoff, blocking a shot, fighting - I think you can take ONLY one of these away from hockey and the game of hockey(scoring goals, playing defense, being physical with your opponent) wont change the game radically. Maybe, just maybe cause its not absolutely essential.

I miss the 1970-1994 hockey I grew up on. IMO they were the ultimate combination of everything that makes hockey great.

Different game now, guys are being leveled just by sheer size and speed. Shanahan and Crosby were just out there skating. Two guys who played countless games of hockey their whole lives all of a sudden need a 'keep your head up!' ????

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
  #71
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Do you honestly think people don't watch hockey because of fighting? Really?

I'd venture to guess that a hellofa lot more people watch hockey because of the fights than will ever stay away because of them
I doubt I ever see Hockey overtake the other sports in my lifetime, though I have seen a lot of crazy ****

BUT ! If Hockey were to ever be invited to the big dance, they'd have to get rid of the bozo the clown nose before they entered the party

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
  #72
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I never once said my opinion was anti fighting. IMO, fighting is on its way out slowly, and that is only made worse by these thugs who go out and injure with legal but harmful hits. You can be pro fighting but at the same time have an opinion on how the game is evolving. IMO, we'll never see the game how it was in the old days and maybe just maybe fighting needs to be addressed.

Skating, passing, shooting, checking, making a save, winning a faceoff, blocking a shot, fighting - I think you can take ONLY one of these away from hockey and the game of hockey(scoring goals, playing defense, being physical with your opponent) wont change the game radically. Maybe, just maybe cause its not absolutely essential.

I miss the 1970-1994 hockey I grew up on. IMO they were the ultimate combination of everything that makes hockey great.

Different game now, guys are being leveled just by sheer size and speed. Shanahan and Crosby were just out there skating. Two guys who played countless games of hockey their whole lives all of a sudden need a 'keep your head up!' ????
out of everything you mentioned, why do you have to take one of those things away? the game is fine the way it is. a cheap shot happens you deal with that person. a clean hit happens, then there is nothing to talk about. elimenating fighting doesnt elimenate cheap shots and one thing has nothing to do with the other.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:10 PM
  #73
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I doubt I ever see Hockey overtake the other sports in my lifetime, though I have seen a lot of crazy ****

BUT ! If Hockey were to ever be invited to the big dance, they'd have to get rid of the bozo the clown nose before they entered the party
how do you say your not anti fighting and then write that

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:14 PM
  #74
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
how do you say your not anti fighting and then write that

Fighting is hockey's bozo nose, until they take it off they wont even be considered for a shot at the bigtime, how is that translated into me being anti fighting?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:19 PM
  #75
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Fighting is hockey's bozo nose, until they take it off they wont even be considered for a shot at the bigtime, how is that translated into me being anti fighting?
sorry i forgot that calling something a bozo nose isnt talking negativly about it.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.