HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver to stand pat on defense?

Old
02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Vancouver to stand pat on defense?

From McKenzie's twitter:

Quote:
Final tweet(s) of nite for my VAN fans: I don't think Canucks, right now, are in market for a dman in spite of their many injuries.
Quote:
Maybe that changes if progress of Hamhuis and Ballard stalls but looks to me like VAN will try to ride it out without dealing for a D.
Just thought i would put this up here. It sounds like the Canucks are going to go with what they have for the meantime.

http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

Last edited by MoreMogilny: 02-16-2011 at 12:43 AM.
MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
AmazingNuck

Makes sense. We're 15 points up on 9th seed if Minnesota and LAK both win their two games in hand. We've already got 6 impact defenders and adding a stop-gap until the other 3 are healthy isn't good asset management, because whoever we add will just result in a quality defenseman being displaced from the line-up during the playoffs.

Canucks should focus on adding another legitimate offensive threat to the team.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:43 AM
medhatcanuck

Thanks gmmg, why trade for another dman who might turn out to be the 8th dman in the depth chart.

We really need a 3rd line winger to play with Hansen and Malholtra.
DOIT!

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post

Canucks should focus on adding another legitimate offensive threat to the team.
Exactly. The cap space opened up by placing Alberts on LTIR should be utilized by adding depth up front, either another solid center for the bottom 6 or perhaps a gritty winger with size for the top 9. The only way Gillis should look at adding another defenseman is if Hamhuis or Ballard hit a roadblock as McKenzie says.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:12 AM
jammyrft

Realistically come playoff time our defense should look something very close to this (as long as the players heal on schedule and no more injuries pop up)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff
Ballard - Salo
Alberts

Personally I'm fine with having Keith Ballard and Sami Salo as your bottom pairing Dmen. That being said everyone has to recover from injury on their respective timeline which might not pan out

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

by playoff time, edler, ballard, and hamhuis will all likely return so there's no need for a trade

it's going to be a gong show on the blueline every game until then, however

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Beerfish

There is an icey patch of sidewalk with Salos name on it.

Canucks are in good shape, in the nice position to add some depth whether it be forward or defense without having to give up the farm.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Schennanigans

No need. Playoffs is a given for them and they will be back by than.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Oblivion

I don't think that it would be a smart use of cap space and assets to bring in another defenseman, they have the division and their D should be good to go heading into the playoffs.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:31 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
I wouldn't mind if Gillis picked up a cheap rental, even though Nonis tried that strategy and it sucked.

For one thing, this assumes the D injury flood is at an end. Why? What has changed? Are the defencemen playing now indestructable?

A second concern is that the remaining core players will get giant minutes they aren't used to and suffer burnout. Are Tanev and Sauve going to get twenty minutes from Vignault?

It's easy to say that Gillis did nothing last year. I've said that. Other posters think Gillis is learning on the job and that might be so. If true, he might take a new approach to the deadline.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Hammer79

Good, there's no need to bring in another D-man. If everything goes to schedule, the D will be fully healthy sometime around the beginning of the first round. A solid fourth liner would be a nice addition, but other than that, don't mess with it MG.

For their regular season finish, they only need ~106 points to win the conference, and a 11-12-1 record would get them there. Only a complete collapse by Vancouver or a crazy hot streak by Detroit would cause them to drop out of 1st.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:35 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I wouldn't mind if Gillis picked up a cheap rental, even though Nonis tried that strategy and it sucked.

For one thing, this assumes the D injury flood is at an end. Why? What has changed? Are the defencemen playing now indestructable?

A second concern is that the remaining core players will get giant minutes they aren't used to and suffer burnout. Are Tanev and Sauve going to get twenty minutes from Vignault?

It's easy to say that Gillis did nothing last year. I've said that. Other posters think Gillis is learning on the job and that might be so. If true, he might take a new approach to the deadline.
Once the Canucks clinch a playoff spot (might be before the trade deadline...) they may very well start giving the rookies more minutes...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:35 AM
xtr3m

Canucks won with a 12th string defenseman today. This, of course, cannot go on forever, but for now it's manageable. Both Hamhuis and Ballard are recovering well.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:38 AM
TOML

Pretty obvious.

What's the point of trading for a defenseman for the playoffs when so many of their current ones will be healthy for the playoffs?

The Canucks have many more weaknesses up front. As it is they are nowhere near Philly's depth level and i have a hard time believing that they're tough enough to get past even Anaheim.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:02 AM
monster_bertuzzi

I expect them all to be back by mid April. Now, having said that even if they ARE all back I would like another capable d-man in here, sliding plugs like Rome down the chart.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:17 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Hammuis started light workouts, do lets see how he heals before any trades happen.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Red

Ballard also to begin skating next week.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
I could see them picking up some players for the Moose on two ways for recalls if they dont feel comfortable with their call ups.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:28 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I expect them all to be back by mid April. Now, having said that even if they ARE all back I would like another capable d-man in here, sliding plugs like Rome down the chart.
Rome isn't a problem on the depth chart if everyone ahead of him are healthy... and even then you have a guy like Tanev who's probably already jumped ahead of him on the depth chart. Given all the dmen the Canucks have used this season, their depth on defense looks like:

1) Edler
2) Salo
3) Ehrhoff
4) Hamhuis
5) Bieksa
6) Ballard
--
7) Alberts
8) Rome
9) Tanev
10) Sweatt
11) Sauve

If Rome isn't good enough to fill a #8 spot on the depth chart, then no team in the league has a good enough dman to fill that spot.

I agree with the posters above on forward depth... use your assets to add a 4th line center, a 3rd line LW or a 2nd line winger.... there is no point in moving any assets at all to add another dman. Even if we're forced to use our #8 or #9 guy in the playoffs, we're still in better shape than any other team in the league in those depth spots. and if the top-6 is actually healthy, that's as solid a 1 through 6 as there is in the league.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:30 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Rome isn't a problem on the depth chart if everyone ahead of him are healthy... and even then you have a guy like Tanev who's probably already jumped ahead of him on the depth chart. Given all the dmen the Canucks have used this season, their depth on defense looks like:

1) Edler
2) Salo
3) Ehrhoff
4) Hamhuis
5) Bieksa
6) Ballard
--
7) Alberts
8) Rome
9) Tanev
10) Sweatt
11) Sauve

If Rome isn't good enough to fill a #8 spot on the depth chart, then no team in the league has a good enough dman to fill that spot.

I agree with the posters above on forward depth... use your assets to add a 4th line center, a 3rd line LW or a 2nd line winger.... there is no point in moving any assets at all to add another dman. Even if we're forced to use our #8 or #9 guy in the playoffs, we're still in better shape than any other team in the league in those depth spots. and if the top-6 is actually healthy, that's as solid a 1 through 6 as there is in the league.
You forgot for the playoffs the Canucks can also recall Parent who would likely be right there with Tanev/Rome.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
You forgot for the playoffs the Canucks can also recall Parent who would likely be right there with Tanev/Rome.
He'd need to go through re-call waivers and if he's claimed then we're stuck with half his cap hit next year

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:35 AM
David71

good. but all gmmg has to do it upgrade the bottom 6 and add a legitimate scoring threat alongside kesler and the team is set

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Baumgartner probably should get listed ahead of Sauve (he's not up right now because he's injured) but yeah, I don't have a huge problem with that depth chart.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Cogburn

So...we don't want garbage offers for other teams UFA rentals? Sweet.

Phillips offers must knock Gillis's socks off, and of the known defensemen available, Phillips would be a fine addition...we just don't need him. Ditto Komisarek and Kaberle (pre-emptive).

Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Tanev, Rome, Salo and Sauve is decent, not great, but that holds the fort down, and that's all we need.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Moobles

Unless one of our d-men goes down permanently before the deadline I can see why he wouldn't. We have a solid blue-line when healthy and about as much d-depth as you could possibly hope to have in a cap'd out league. Any addition is just going to get pushed out when someone returns.

Scoring depth and a 4th line checking center are hopefully what Gillis goes aiming for.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote