HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And the drama continues...Enroth back to Portland

Old
02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

vCash: 500
And the drama continues...Enroth back to Portland

Quote:
The Sabres have returned goaltender Jhonas Enroth to Portland (AHL). #sabres
http://www.twitter.com/sabresdotcom

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:15 AM
bluetooth

wonder if he got on the plane back to buffalo

bluetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Mergus merganser

What drama? It seems pretty straight forward. Enroth will get his 50+ starts in portland and will play scheduled games in Buffalo.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:26 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
What drama? It seems pretty straight forward. Enroth will get his 50+ starts in portland and will play scheduled games in Buffalo.
The drama that he belongs here backing up Miller and Lalime should be waived.

You can't tell me Lalime is okay with purely sitting the bench and not even getting the occasional start. Not to mention, its not good for him to not see any time. If Miller goes down early in a game chalk it up as an automatic loss.

Lindy has always been bad with backups, this year is even worse. He doesn't even trust Lalime enough to start 1/32 games! He doesn't even trust him enough to yank Miller after giving up 4,5,6 goals to the frickin Isles! Between Lalime and Rivet still being the Captain there is no way the locker room is completely perfect.

I understand what they're doing, but its wrong. Its so wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 02-16-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old
02-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
The drama that he belongs here backing up Miller and Lalime should be waived.

You can't tell me Lalime is okay with purely sitting the bench and not even getting the occasional start. Not to mention, its not good for him to not see any time. If Miller goes down early in a game chalk it up as an automatic loss.

Lindy has always been bad with backups, this year is even worse. He doesn't even trust Lalime enough to start 1/32 games! He doesn't even trust him enough to yank Miller after giving up 4,5,6 goals to the frickin Isles! Between Lalime and Rivet still being the Captain there is no way the locker room is completely perfect.

I understand what they're doing, but its wrong. Its so wrong on so many levels.
I disagree strongly. How do you know how Lalime feels? Quite honestly, it is probably buffalo or no where for Lalime last summer. He should be happy to be employed.

I think they are handling it perfectly. Enroth has a lot to work on, sitting on the bench isn't going to help him. Playing 50 games in the AHL and 8-10 games in the NHL will.

Old
02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

I don't see any drama at all. Enroth needs his AHL starts, they can always call him up when Miller needs a rest. He's not going to develop starting a handful more games in the NHL this season. Then as soon as Enroth flames out people will start freaking out about how Ruff doesn't know how to handle goalies.

Fans as a whole we are a "what have you don't for me lately" group of people. As evidenced by the group that wants trade Miller and have Enroth as the started after he stole a game.

I don't really think that we should speculate about dressing room drama concerting Lalime or Rivet. I don't think that any of us have an all access pass, and they (the Sabres) sure arn't playing there is a divided dressing room. And while I'm sure that this isn't how either Lalime or Rivet saw this season going in their minds eye, they must know that its nearly the end and they were probably lucky to get these last contracts at all.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
aceface33

No real drama, he'll come up next time they have a back to back.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
I disagree strongly. How do you know how Lalime feels? Quite honestly, it is probably buffalo or no where for Lalime last summer. He should be happy to be employed.

I think they are handling it perfectly. Enroth has a lot to work on, sitting on the bench isn't going to help him. Playing 50 games in the AHL and 8-10 games in the NHL will.
This is exactly how I feel.

Was Lalime the right answer to be our backup again? No.

Is this process a decent alternative? Absolutely.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Afino
The Juice

The only question is....why didn't they do this before Miller racked up 31 in a row?

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:01 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
The only question is....why didn't they do this before Miller racked up 31 in a row?
That's my other beef. The whole "this was their plan" crap is garbage. Maybe it was to start the season, but why on earth would you let your starter start in 31 straight games before going back to your backups-backup?

This whole situation is stupid.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:02 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

Who gives an F how Lalime feels. You want to know how I feel. I pay a good chunk of money for tickets. Lalime can take his $600,000 and sit. And you're right, he had no other contract. He would play in Russia for $200,000 with no clean water. He should be giggling on the bench.

My only question is are we wearing Enroth down a bit. Lot of games and lot of travel back and forth to AHL. No? There are no Buffalo Portland direct flights

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:04 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

When was the last time a professional athlete was happy with not playing? Give me a break.

We're talking about a backup goaltender, not a 3rd/4th string quarterback.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:04 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDo0k View Post
I don't see any drama at all. Enroth needs his AHL starts, they can always call him up when Miller needs a rest. He's not going to develop starting a handful more games in the NHL this season. Then as soon as Enroth flames out people will start freaking out about how Ruff doesn't know how to handle goalies.

Fans as a whole we are a "what have you don't for me lately" group of people. As evidenced by the group that wants trade Miller and have Enroth as the started after he stole a game.

I don't really think that we should speculate about dressing room drama concerting Lalime or Rivet. I don't think that any of us have an all access pass, and they (the Sabres) sure arn't playing there is a divided dressing room. And while I'm sure that this isn't how either Lalime or Rivet saw this season going in their minds eye, they must know that its nearly the end and they were probably lucky to get these last contracts at all.
Garth has access. I know he does

Old
02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Who gives an F how Lalime feels. You want to know how I feel. I pay a good chunk of money for tickets. Lalime can take his $600,000 and sit. And you're right, he had no other contract. He would play in Russia for $200,000 with no clean water. He should be giggling on the bench.

My only question is are we wearing Enroth down a bit. Lot of games and lot of travel back and forth to AHL. No? There are no Buffalo Portland direct flights

Uhh, Millerfan1 commented, "You can't tell me Lalime is okay with purely sitting the bench and not even getting the occasional start."

My comment was directed at him.

Enroth has play 33 games in portland and 5 in the NHL so far this season. I wouldn't say that we are wearing him thin. If he gets 15 more starts in the AHL and 5 more starts in buffalo (on the high end IMHO), then he will be just fine, that would be just 58 games.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

What I'm saying is they signed him to the contract, he shouldn't just be a practice body. If you aren't going to play him, then waive his ass. if Enroth had been called up mid season he could have easily had 15-20 starts here this year plus the 30 he had at that time in Portland. He still could have gotten his 50 starts in this season and we'd have a more viable backup in town. Not have to call him up whenever its decided that Miller needs a break and immediately send him down right after.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:11 AM
punkr0x

What I don't understand is that while this has clearly been an organization that doesn't want to pay players not to play, they're doing exactly that with Lalime and Rivet. If your backup is never under any circumstances going to play, why not waive him and pick up some kid off the street for the league minimum to sit on the bench?

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
What I'm saying is they signed him to the contract, he shouldn't just be a practice body. If you aren't going to play him, then waive his ass. if Enroth had been called up mid season he could have easily had 15-20 starts here this year plus the 30 he had at that time in Portland. He still could have gotten his 50 starts in this season and we'd have a more viable backup in town. Not have to call him up whenever its decided that Miller needs a break.
What the heck are you talking about. There is no way that Enroth starts 15-20 games out of the last 40-50 even if he was called up. Jesus christ, I almost hope Enroth gets lit up his next game so all this silliness ends. The kid is a solid prospect, but barely has a sub 3.00 GAA in THE AHL! He isn't going to play lights out every night and there are a ton of holes in his game.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
MayDay

Quote:
What I'm saying is they signed him to the contract, he shouldn't just be a practice body. If you aren't going to play him, then waive his ass. if Enroth had been called up mid season he could have easily had 15-20 starts here this year plus the 30 he had at that time in Portland. He still could have gotten his 50 starts in this season and we'd have a more viable backup in town. Not have to call him up whenever its decided that Miller needs a break and immediately send him down right after.
I agree that it's not the ideal situation, but too much is made of whether poor Patty Lalime's feelings are hurt.

These guys are professional athletes who make a lot of money. They can deal.

The important thing is that they do whatever they have to do to win as many games and get as many points as possible down the stretch. Whether or not that makes Lalime feel happy and wanted is not all that important of a consideration, unfortunately.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
For the 8-10 NHL games (max) that he will play season? Where he shouldn't have to win them game, just not lose them?

Enroth is a big boy, and he can take a bit of travel. If his dream is to break into the big leagues then this is what he'll have to do.

Is it ideal? No, but then again what is?
Is it about a year early? Yea probably, but then again I haven't seen the timetable.

To me this is speculation for speculations sake, and then when the status quo is maintained we can all trot out our Regier/Ruff effigies and burn them all over again.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:22 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
So, we signed Nieds to a contract so we should play him regardless of his ability? [1] No pro athlete is going to be happy with the situation, but that athlete also has to recognize that circumstances change both for the better and the worse. He has a job, that job is asst. goalie coach and warm body in case of injury to Miller.

It may not be optimal for him, but he's a big boy and frankly, without the Sabres, he wouldn't have a job right now. He knows this.

Enroth's best development path is playing as many games as possible. If he can come in and spot Miller once a week and play like he did last night... that makes us a much better team overall. Lalime is a known quantity who is a part of that room and that bench. If Miller goes down with an injury, Enroth's the starter and Lalime is the backup. Case closed. No need to waive an asset.

Ta,

[1] - bad example, but the point remains.

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
No real drama, he'll come up next time they have a back to back.
Pretty much this. There is no drama.

02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
This drama exists only on message boards.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:33 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about. There is no way that Enroth starts 15-20 games out of the last 40-50 even if he was called up. Jesus christ, I almost hope Enroth gets lit up his next game so all this silliness ends. The kid is a solid prospect, but barely has a sub 3.00 GAA in THE AHL! He isn't going to play lights out every night and there are a ton of holes in his game.
Uhhhhh he's already played in 6 games here which means he played 5 in the first half of the season. You mean to tell me if he was called up in January he wouldn't have been able to start once every couple of weeks like a normal backup would? He wouldn't need to start 15-20 in the last half of a season to get a total of 15 to 20 when he already played in 5 in the first half of the season. Then we wouldn't have needed to start Miller 31 times in a freaking row.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:39 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
This drama exists only on message boards.

Ta,
Yeah, that's point of message boards and talk radio. No?

Old
02-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
Quote:
That's my other beef. The whole "this was their plan" crap is garbage. Maybe it was to start the season, but why on earth would you let your starter start in 31 straight games before going back to your backups-backup?

This whole situation is stupid.
Why didn't they do this before? Because Jhonas has actually been pretty poor for the Pirates this season. He's taken a step back. His SV% has hovered around .907-.910 over the last two months. He's been outplayed by his backup (Leggio). This has been the worst of his three AHL seasons. They were expecting he'd be one of the top goaltenders in the AHL. Instead, he's been eminently average.

Put simply, he hadn't earned the opportunity and, given his poor play, the Sabres probably didn't want to bring him up while he was off his game.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote