HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending controversy?

Old
02-16-2011, 04:12 AM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Goaltending controversy?

I know it's way, way, way too early. Miller is the man. He gets the Leafs start and should right himself but what if he has a bad game and then Enroth comes back with another good one in next start?
Lot of what ifs but I like the idea of a backup who could roll off the wins, maybe make Miller a little hungry for it.
There's nothing wrong with an athlete having to earn time. I think Miller came back stronger when Biron won a few games in a row.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Luceni

If miller continues to suck then I'm all for it. Throw out enroth then.and mak Miller earn himself the starts....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

i dont particularly care who is starting, just as long as the wins are coming, so yes, if Miller has to sit a few in favor of Jhonas, and it makes him play stronger in competition, I'd be all for it. But as soon as Miller plays even to a fraction of how good he can play, I'm sure he'll play the rest of the season...

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:30 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

I know that Enroth flavored Kool-Aid looks pretty delicious right now, but don't go drinking too much of it just yet.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDo0k View Post
I know that Enroth flavored Kool-Aid looks pretty delicious right now, but don't go drinking too much of it just yet.
Exactly.

He's way too inexperienced to judge yet.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Mergus merganser

Uhhhh, no. Enroth's rebound control leaves a lot to be desired and his lateral movement is pretty bad. I think he has an uphill climb to be a legit NHL starter. His size is always going to be an issue.

Can't we just be excited to have a legit back-up before we throw our starter under the bus?

Like the football saying goes, "the most popular guy in town is always the back-up QB".

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:01 AM
gallagt01

miller is my goalie...especially come playoff time, if playoff time exists.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Enroth has pretty much the same SV% as Miller this season...against AHL competition. Jhonas played well last night, but he's not quite ready yet. Miller is this team's goaltender and gives the Sabres the best chance to win and make the playoffs.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:37 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2011/02/enroth/

Backup goaltending controversy? Yes

Starting goaltending controversy? No

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:30 AM
BowieSabresFan

I knew this thread would pop up, but all I have to say is..

For the love of God...

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Mergus merganser

Enroth's AHL stats..... 18-14-1, 2.83 GAA, .910 S%

Millers NHL stats..... 24-15-5, 2.78 GAA, .909 S%

And some people want that guy to take over for Miller? Give me a break.

Hell, look at Leggio's stats in the AHL..... 14-4-0, 2.64 GAA, .915 S%.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

the only controversy is lalime's roster spot.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
the only controversy is lalime's roster spot.
which after last night belongs to Enroth.

Make Patty a coach, keep him on in some way, that's fine. But Enroth is our backup goalie, point blank period.*

*(that's a Jim Boeheim reference for those confused)

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:45 AM
BowieSabresFan

As clarification from my earlier post, it was nice to see Enroth come in and play well last night. It gives me hope that we have a good backup for Miller. However, any intimation that the Sabres have a goalie controversy at this point is a bit "extreme."

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:45 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Someone mentioned in another thread (Buffaloed?) that they think Miller might be nursing an injury that could require surgery in the offseason.

Considering his drop off this year, that wouldn't really surprise me, and if that's the case, I'd seriously consider pulling him and getting the surgery now, rather than playing our franchise goalie injured for the rest of the season.

Let Enroth and Lalime spit the remaining games, and if Enroth can handle it give him say 2 out of every 3, or 3 of 4. What's the worst that happens? We get a better draft pick?

Obviously if Miller's not hurt, then the whole idea is ridiculous. Enroth should however get Lalime's spot, if it means Lindy will actually play the backup on a regular basis.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:57 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I knew this thread would pop up, but all I have to say is..

For the love of God...
I was only having fun but I do think it's not a bad thing to push Miller. Anyway Enroth was sent back down which I suppose doesn't preclude him from being brought back up. My guess is he plays again Feb. 25 or Feb. 26.
I'd like to see more of him. Play him him a third of games down stretch, if he continues to play well, and have Miller fresh.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
punkr0x

But Lindy said the plan is for Enroth to play a lot this year. He won't get that as the full time backup here. They'll call him up for the occasional scheduled start, but Lalime is still going to be the guy on the bench most nights. I liked how they scratched Miller and had Enroth start with Lalime as backup, it gives Miller a true night off without having to worry about being ready to bail out the rookie if he gets into trouble.

They need to figure out something to do with Lalime though. They can't just keep saying, "well he's rusty" and continue to let him rot on the bench. Throw him in for mop up duty when the game gets out of hand (winning or losing). That's what I would do. We all know Limey can be a good goalie when he gets in a rhythm. What is Ryan Miller doing finishing out a game when we are up 5-1 at the end of the second and Lalime desperately needs some game action?

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
But Lindy said the plan is for Enroth to play a lot this year. He won't get that as the full time backup here. They'll call him up for the occasional scheduled start, but Lalime is still going to be the guy on the bench most nights. I liked how they scratched Miller and had Enroth start with Lalime as backup, it gives Miller a true night off without having to worry about being ready to bail out the rookie if he gets into trouble.

They need to figure out something to do with Lalime though. They can't just keep saying, "well he's rusty" and continue to let him rot on the bench. Throw him in for mop up duty when the game gets out of hand (winning or losing). That's what I would do. We all know Limey can be a good goalie when he gets in a rhythm. What is Ryan Miller doing finishing out a game when we are up 5-1 at the end of the second and Lalime desperately needs some game action?
Ah, not Lalime can't be a good goalie. Not anymore.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Havok89

Golisano won't let Lalime go to the minors, then hes left paying Lalime and Enroth's respective salaries.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
There is no goaltending controversy.

02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There is no goaltending controversy.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Enroth had a great game, and I hope next year he gets a lot more starts in the NHL, but it's far from a controversy. The only real question is what will happen to Lalime.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Controversy my A**!!!
Lalime will absolutely positively be the backup goalie for the remainder of the season. Backing up Miller or Enroth.
Enroth NEEDS his AHL starts, not benchwarming duties. His game needs improvement!
It wouldn't surprise me if Lalime gets 1-2 games before the end of the season. Maybe not starts, but when Miller melts down during a game (and that will happen).

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Enroth had a great game, and I hope next year he gets a lot more starts in the NHL, but it's far from a controversy. The only real question is what will happen to Lalime.
There is no question about what happens to Lalime -- he will continue to open and close the door at the far end of the bench (or sit over in the entryway in a couple of rinks). They don't need Enroth to sit around doing that, they NEED Enroth to keep playing his way out of this season three funk and continue to work on his game in game situations. Lalime can mop up if needed. Enroth can be summoned when needed for a start. There's no reason to have Lalime go anywhere at the moment.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Miller is this team's goaltender and gives the Sabres the best chance to win and make the playoffs.
Agreed, but not when he starts 31 games in a row.

I said a few days ago that Enroth would be great for a game or two, but this season he's better off being a starter in the AHL. We still have to trade for an NHL backup IMO.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There is no question about what happens to Lalime -- he will continue to open and close the door at the far end of the bench (or sit over in the entryway in a couple of rinks). They don't need Enroth to sit around doing that, they NEED Enroth to keep playing his way out of this season three funk and continue to work on his game in game situations. Lalime can mop up if needed. Enroth can be summoned when needed for a start. There's no reason to have Lalime go anywhere at the moment.
Oh, I'm well aware of that. I meant at the end of the season.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote