HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa - NYR

Old
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
Ottawa - NYR

To Ottawa: Chris Drury + 2nd round pick
To NYR: Sergei Gonchar + 4th round pick

Salary implications
Chris Drury - 7.0 cap hit (5.0 million real dollars)
Sergei Gonchar - 5.5 cap hit (5.5 million real dollars)

Reasoning

Ottawa saves real dollars and should have no problem fitting the big cap hit in with the housecleaning that's going on (Fisher + Kelly already, Kovalev, Phillips, Ruutu, etc to come), and they get a body to fill in down the middle next year, a position they might be short. They also only get Drury for 1 year, instead of the 2 left with Gonchar.

The Rangers save cap space and get a PP QB to help their 23rd ranked PP.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
No chance

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:44 AM
TrollololBoyle

Rangers aren't going to do this. They need to have all the cap space they can get for future years, and Gonchar doesn't help that.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:44 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Nope.

Drury goes away at the end of the year most likely, and even if he isn't gone, we only have to wait until the end of next season to be rid of him without buying him out/forcing a trade for a worse contract.

02-16-2011, 12:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Drury has a NMC. He's the captain of the team he rooted for growing up. I doubt he'd consent to being sent off to Ottawa.

Anyway, from the Rangers perspective, it would be better to swallowo ne year of Drury than two of Gonchar.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:10 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

not in a million years

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Skrymir

As a Sens fan I do this in a heartbeat. NY hangs up the phone.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:51 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Not a chance, Sather won't take on another bad contract with the RFA's coming up that need to be resigned. He's stuck to his words of keeping the kids together, he's definitely not going to let a guy like Gonchar deter his plan now.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:01 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
No thanks. As a Sens fan, I'm hoping for a bounce year next season from Gonchar. He could teach Wiercioch/Rundblad a thing or two

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
NorthlandPro

Drury gets bought out over the summer so we will save the 2nd round pick and gain the cap space we need. You can sign him for free and play him with Kovy.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Drury has suffered five major injuries in less than 2 years. Broken hand. Concussion. Broken finger. Broke the finger again in the same spot and suffered a new break in that finger. Knee surgery. Drury is supposed to return with 7-10 days remaining this season but who knows if he will be back or how he'll feel after knee surgery. It's a wear and tear injury. Can he play at a decent level to stick around another year?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:08 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

No thanks. Gonchars been screwed over by Clouston being an idiot. I think he will bounce back well next year and be a great mentor.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:12 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
No thanks. Gonchars been screwed over by Clouston being an idiot. I think he will bounce back well next year and be a great mentor.
He hasn't been that bad this year at all. Defensively, he's been respectable, you don't see him getting flat out beat or making the wrong read on a play. Although he hasn't been as effective on the PP as you'd like him to be, with the coaching staff we have running the PP, I can't fault him for it at all.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:21 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
He hasn't been that bad this year at all. Defensively, he's been respectable, you don't see him getting flat out beat or making the wrong read on a play. Although he hasn't been as effective on the PP as you'd like him to be, with the coaching staff we have running the PP, I can't fault him for it at all.
Yep, hes actually worked well within the system, but the system we have just limits him a ton. He's done about as good as you could expect given how ridiculously this teams game plan is set up. I'd only trade him for a 1st++, as I reallly think we will be able to get that for him before his contract is over.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:38 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Yep, hes actually worked well within the system, but the system we have just limits him a ton. He's done about as good as you could expect given how ridiculously this teams game plan is set up. I'd only trade him for a 1st++, as I reallly think we will be able to get that for him before his contract is over.
Seriously? I'm sorry, but you're delusional if you think Gonchar will ever command a 1st round pick, let alone a 1st++.

He's overpaid on a 35+ contract. Teams don't give up 1st round picks for players like that. The only chance you have of trading him is at the deadline in his final year, and you aren't getting a 1st for him as a rental.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:41 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Seriously? I'm sorry, but you're delusional if you think Gonchar will ever command a 1st round pick, let alone a 1st++.

He's overpaid on a 35+ contract. Teams don't give up 1st round picks for players like that. The only chance you have of trading him is at the deadline in his final year, and you aren't getting a 1st for him as a rental.
Okay. I guess it is totally unreasonable for Gonchar to increase his pace of 35 points to the 70 point pace he has maintained over the past 4 years. Yep, totally delusional. What do you think Gonchar would have gotten last deadline? If you can't see that Gonchars lack of production is a product of the system, youre not delusional youre just not very smart.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

unfortunaetly for ottawa gonchar will be almost impossible to trade.

i thought maybe the avs would be interested but their tailspin makes them a no-go.

ottawa will look to trade gonchar next deadline when he has just one year left and thus easier for other teams to take on.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:03 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Gonchar is far from a mentor. He's a mercenary, and an overpaid one at that. While I won't discredit him for his role in the Pens going to back-to-back Cups, he is pretty much useless on a rebuilding team at this point.

As for Drury, no way in hell he waives his NTC to go to Ottawa (the organization, not the city). If Drury goes anywhere, it will be to a contender.

Unless Crosby and Malkin magically appear on the rangers' top PP unit, no thanks to Gonchar.

As mentioned already, Drury's contract looks more and more manageable and acceptable as the days tick away.

Still, the Sens should look to unload him.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Okay. I guess it is totally unreasonable for Gonchar to increase his pace of 35 points to the 70 point pace he has maintained over the past 4 years. Yep, totally delusional. What do you think Gonchar would have gotten last deadline? If you can't see that Gonchars lack of production is a product of the system, youre not delusional youre just not very smart.
Yup, it is. He'll be 37 in 2 months and he's playing on a rebuilding team. Good luck with that.

Old
02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Rangers aren't going to do this. They need to have all the cap space they can get for future years, and Gonchar doesn't help that.

yep not sure why teams like Ottawa (gonchar) and Edmonton( Bulin) sign these guys for so long. They are bound to be on the down hill as they get older and now they are screwed on the cap for a few yrs

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
SpezDispenser

No way. I'd much rather have Gonchar than Drury - and the pick doesn't help. Gonch will get a 1st + if he's moved.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Yup, it is. He'll be 37 in 2 months and he's playing on a rebuilding team. Good luck with that.
We're gutting the team, we need some vets.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
No way. I'd much rather have Gonchar than Drury - and the pick doesn't help. Gonch will get a 1st + if he's moved.
Thats fine by us ranger fans. Drury has 1 year left on his contract and honestly may not play again for the rangers with his injury history the past year. Which opens up 7 million in cap space! thats HUGE for us, for trying to sign Richards. Drury although has SERIOUSLY dropped off in his play, still gives 110% on every shift and does anything for the team.

Gonchar is 37, signed for an extra year at a overpriced 5.5m a year. He hasnt been the same PP point man and offensive defenseman in years. Besides that he has always been terrible on defense. He rarely gives 110% on every shift and the key play that continues to play over and over again in my head is when he was in the playoffs with the caps, when he just let the offensive player skate right by him to score the game winning goal.

Neither player helps the rangers much this year or next, but well stick with the lesser of the two evils and keep our picks. Gonchar is NOT worth a 1st rounder in my eyes. I may be wrong but thats mine and i think every ranger fans opinion. Honestly if Kaberle cant fetch a 1st rounder, what makes you think that Gonchar would?

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
We're gutting the team, we need some vets.
Not arguing with that, just the other poster's assertion that Gonchar can return to being a 70 point player or that he could net ottowa a 1st++ at some point.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:29 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Not arguing with that, just the other poster's assertion that Gonchar can return to being a 70 point player or that he could net ottowa a 1st++ at some point.
Hes not gonna score 70 points obviously and likely wont score at that pace but hes more a 55 point guy than a 35 point guy. And I'm sorry I said 1st++ rather than 1st+ like he did, I know that extra + has tons of potential