HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#56: Flyers @ Lightning - Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011

Old
02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

vCash: 500
In the playoffs I'd really like to see Nodl on a line with Betts and Powe, and let Z play with Richards and Versteeg. That would give 3 potent lines and a 4th very capable of a regular shift. But I don't think we'll see both CarBomb and Shelly out of the lineup until then.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

great win. zone entry on the powerplay and in general has looked really good lately. lavi's doing a fantastic job adjusting this season. versteeg looked a bit uncomfortable but performed well nonetheless...still not sure how i feel about nodl as the third guy on that line, though he did have a few solid chances.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
agrudez*

That was probably the best game I have ever seen Coburn play, which means I fully expect him to score on his own net, take 2 lazy penalties and fall over for no reason a bunch tonight.

Prove me wrong Braydon!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Coburn has had a decent mean streak lately. It's good to see

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Coburn normally cranks it up as the season ends, and into the post-season.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Well, dump and chase could kill the 1-3-1 if done correctly. Not to mention, their defense is pretty terrible.
Not necessarily, the one guy is back almost at the crease. As Bill Clement said the best way to counter it is to get a lead, and sit back there like they did last night.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
bennysflyers16

The Good :

Mean, Physical Coburn
JVR was in beast mode, leave him with Carter/Roo and hope he keeps it up.
Betts and Powe had strong games
Boosh was good
I thought Steeg got better as the game went on and his forecheck was very good. Entering zone was a little off, but that will get better once he gets comfortable.

The Bad :

Thought this was Briere's worst game in a long time. Leino was not good, mez and Odonnel were real bad to start, but got better as game went on.

Downie is such a little ****, I wish angry Coburn would of got the little puke to drop them and pound the **** out of him.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
...And so Richards elbows him in the head for it? Maybe Stamkos dove or maybe he didn't, but let's not act like Richards is all innocent here.
Well, basically everyone in our GDT said Richards deserved the additional minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What I love about this team right now is that the Briere line is set and Giroux/Carter are also set. Both JvR and Zherdev played well with them so it's time to get the right combo with Richie. I would prefer Zherdev with Carter and Roo and then move JvR to Richie's line with Versteeg and just leave them there so they all get used to each other.

I wonder how Versteeg's fitness compares to the others. He didn't play a ton in Toronto recently and we all remember what the Flyers were like pre-Lavi. He has to learn a new system and probably get in a bit better shape so I say let him stay on Richie's line and keep those lines set.
Pretty sure Richards/Versteeg is set, too. It's either gonna be JVR/Richie/Steeger or Nodl/Richie/Steeger, depending on what Laviolette plans to do with Mr. Zherdev.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Downie is such a little ****, I wish angry Coburn would of got the little puke to drop them and pound the **** out of him.
You could read Coburn's lips, asking if he wanted to go, and Downie just sat there yap yap yap

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Not necessarily, the one guy is back almost at the crease. As Bill Clement said the best way to counter it is to get a lead, and sit back there like they did last night.
I liked Lavi's approach. Set up two forechecking forwards at center ice, start a puck carrier from the D zone, and then have the other forwards block 2 of the 3 guys at the opposing blue line, puck carrier only needs to get by one more guy before the whole team suddenly has the zone and can start cycling. Difficult to execute, but it should work every time until the opposition stops friggin trapping.

The Lightning have given up more goals that any of the other top 8 teams in either conference, so it's not like it's a magical defensive tactic. It looks better now that Roloson can stop some chances when teams do start cycling, but once we had the zone it was obvious that Tampa's D is not that good. Guys like Bergeron and Kubina are offensively gifted and this trap hides their defensive shortcomings and useless bums like Randy Jones well... for a while.

Last edited by might2mash: 02-16-2011 at 11:52 AM.
might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I liked Lavi's approach. Set up two forechecking forwards at center ice, start a puck carrier from the D zone, and then have the other forwards block 2 of the 3 guys at the opposing blue line, puck carrier only needs to get by one more guy before the whole team suddenly has the zone and can start cycling. Difficult to execute, but it should work every time until the opposition stops friggin trapping.
I was curious how some interference penalties weren't called on us, though.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I was curious how some interference penalties weren't called on us, though.
Because you're allowed to skate anywhere on the ice. As long as you aren't decking guys, you can skate right up to them, stop there, and thus prevent them from skating past you. There was a video on CrossingBroad of one such play, where you can see Nodl legally just get in the way of Lecavalier. Of course on this play Richie does some dangling, but the basic idea is there. (There also was a lot uncalled on both sides last night. Probably in our favor since their PP has been far superior.)

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
TOCxNJ

Played a pretty solid game last night. Versteeg seemed to play very well by the end of the game given that it was his first game here.

I missed the JVR fight....any good? I'm dying to see some video but can't seem to find it anywhere.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:08 PM
HoverCarle*

nhl.com highlights has the fight

Old
02-16-2011, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
That was probably the best game I have ever seen Coburn play, which means I fully expect him to score on his own net, take 2 lazy penalties and fall over for no reason a bunch tonight.

Prove me wrong Braydon!
I was hoping he would go with Downie last night. Coburn needs to play like that. he needs to play mean and play with an edge. When hes passive and not playing with an edge hes not that good.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Posting this in here as well.

That is great!

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Don't know about anybody else but I just don't want to run into Tampa in the playoffs..even shorthanded with injuries they gave us fits. That stifling system reminds me of the years against the Devils. In a series with Tampa Boosh or Bob would have to be the difference....

As far as Boston..they are also solidifying themselves...now with Kaberle possibly ..not going to be a cake walk this year.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post

The Lightning have given up more goals that any of the other top 8 teams in either conference, so it's not like it's a magical defensive tactic. It looks better now that Roloson can stop some chances when teams do start cycling, but once we had the zone it was obvious that Tampa's D is not that good. Guys like Bergeron and Kubina are offensively gifted and this trap hides their defensive shortcomings and useless bums like Randy Jones well... for a while.
On the Lightning feed, the PBP guys commented on the Flyers using misdirection puck movement to counter the 1-3-1 set-up, and discussed in the first-intermission interview with one of the assistant Lightning coaches.

As well, the ice looked very slow and the puck was jumping all over the place. It really seemed to handcuff Versteeg on his SO attempt.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Don't know about anybody else but I just don't want to run into Tampa in the playoffs..even shorthanded with injuries they gave us fits. That stifling system reminds me of the years against the Devils. In a series with Tampa Boosh or Bob would have to be the difference....

As far as Boston..they are also solidifying themselves...now with Kaberle possibly ..not going to be a cake walk this year.
Bruins >>>>>> bolts for me in playoffs. That 1-3-1 is going to get exposed in the playoffs. I think Bolts go to OT more than any team to, that is a risky recipe in the big dance!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
You could read Coburn's lips, asking if he wanted to go, and Downie just sat there yap yap yap
Downie is a *****.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Is it just me or did Versteeg look like he was a kid in a candy shop last night? I get that he's probably happy to be here, but everytime they showed him on the bench he had a big doofus grin the whole time. It got to a point where I just started laughing uncontrollably every time they showed him.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Versteeg definitely looked really nervous to me but that's understandable. Everytime he had the puck, he seemed to hesitate for a second too long. He'll fit in fine though I think.

I like how Laviolette sent him out on the shootout. If he scored, that would have skyrocketed his confidence.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
MsWoof

From what I've read from Leafs fans, Versteeg is pretty goofy. I think he's on a serious high right now. When he left he made a comment that the only thing he'd miss about his time here was the guys in the room. Nothing about the fans, the city etc. So for him it's Christmas.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
HoverCarle*

The fans were hacking loogies on his car, I wouldn't miss them either

Old
02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Yeah, I agree with Woof, we was probably so happy to get the hell out of the pit in Toronto.

If he plays the way he did in Chicago for us, then I will be happy.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote