HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that we are officially gunning for a playoff spot...

View Poll Results: Do we ship the Tinman?
Yes 42 63.64%
No 24 36.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Deevo

vCash: 500
Now that we are officially gunning for a playoff spot...

Does Tim the Tinman get traded at the deadline?

Argument A: He's an expiring contract that we're (hopefully)not renewing. Get what you can for him now.

Argument B: He's our only "proven" top-6 playoff center. Trading him (without acquiring another top-6 talent) would be admitting defeat before we begin. Think of him as a rental and try to make at least a little noise.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Though he has been better over the last few games, I still look to move him. But whether I actually move him is market-dependent. If I can get a 2nd, I say do it. If I can't get anything better than a 3rd, I hold him for (hopefully) the playoffs.

EDIT: Ultimately, I think we'll hold onto him. Regier wants to make the playoffs, as he doesn't want to have missed in 3 of 4 seasons when a new owner is making a decision about him.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Jame
Dream '16

focus on making the playoffs

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Though he has been better over the last few games, I still look to move him. But whether I actually move him is market-dependent. If I can get a 2nd, I say do it. If I can't get anything better than a 3rd, I hold him for (hopefully) the playoffs.

EDIT: Ultimately, I think we'll hold onto him. Regier wants to make the playoffs, as he doesn't want to have missed in 3 of 4 seasons when a new owner is making a decision about him.
I agree with zippy. A 3rd rounder? Who cares.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

If by proven you mean 1 assist in 6 games last post season then I guess he is.

The guy is a bum. Dump him and bring in a center not on an expiring contract.

There is no reason we can't be a buyer and a seller at the deadline.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sell him. Is this a year to go deep into the playoffs? No. Sell him at the deadline when he can return something for the future, an additional high-mid-round pick for the upcoming year perhaps.

02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Does Tim the Tinman get traded at the deadline?

Argument A: He's an expiring contract that we're (hopefully)not renewing. Get what you can for him now.

Argument B: He's our only "proven" top-6 playoff center. Trading him (without acquiring another top-6 talent) would be admitting defeat before we begin. Think of him as a rental and try to make at least a little noise.
A+B= his contract is expiring so trade him for a top 6 center (using one or two of our other numerous trade chips) because he's our only proven top 6 center.

bottom line is, while he serves a purpose his purpose needs an upgrade. send him to a team that desperately needs a center but either doesnt need a #1 or doesnt have the assets to get one.. get some trade pieces back, then parlay those pieces along with some we already have to another team for that #1 we need.

not easy, but that should be the agenda imo.

then offload one of grier niedermayer or rivet to replace some lost assets in the other trade and use some of our reserves (kaleta, ellis, etc.)

this shouldnt be a stand pat deadline, we are in a position to offload some deadweight AND upgrade our team.. we have the pieces to do it, no excuses, show some effort and try to get it done.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sell him. Is this a year to go deep into the playoffs? No. Sell him at the deadline when he can return something for the future, an additional high-mid-round pick for the upcoming year perhaps.
i'd rather go for the playoffs, get the 7th seed, beat the lightning... and then anything can happen.

trading Tim for a pick... just to then trade a pick for a center rental... meh

Old
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

My heart says yes, but my brain says no. I don't want Timmy back in a Sabres jersey next year, and would rather we get something for him at the end of it than not...buuuuut...

We do have a legitimate shot at the playoffs, and who can we get that would produce better than he would in the here and now? If we still had Roy I would be more likely to want to move him and take a chance on getting a Weiss-type guy, but who else is there to get? The market isn't exactly flooded with 2C right now. I say "Weiss-type guy" but what I really mean is "Weiss". Because there isn't anyone else.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

It all depends on the return.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:27 AM
thomas vanek

Quote:
I doubt that Philly or Montreal fans anticipated a deep run last year, either. If the swords keep on the roll that they're on, they could do some damage in the playoffs. And since Connolly is our only real offensive centre at the moment, they can't consider trading him, unless they have another move in place bringing someone else with a similar skill set at the centre position.

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:27 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Not for anything less than a mid 2nd. It's a sellers market so far this year.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Keep him. I want to watch the Sabres in the playoffs. I don't care that we'll be up against the top seed.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
For the folks going down the "keep" path... what has he done in the team's hotstreak that indicates his replacement would be unable to fulfill? Or what purpose a relative playoff no-show since Schaefer put him into orbit would indicate his presence is going to help them upset someone in the opening round?

Asset pieces to make summer moves for the new ownership though? That's much more appealing when looking at the long road.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
For the folks going down the "keep" path... what has he done in the team's hotstreak that indicates his replacement would be unable to fulfill? Or what purpose a relative playoff no-show since Schaefer put him into orbit would indicate his presence is going to help them upset someone in the opening round?

Asset pieces to make summer moves for the new ownership though? That's much more appealing when looking at the long road.
When 1 goal can be the difference in a series... nah the long road isn't more appealing when you are talking about a late 2nd rounder.

The long road was appealing when it was about tanking, trading stars for young premier talent... but the long road of a late 2nd rounder vs keeping a veteran offensive center... nope, not really that appealing

Old
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
For the folks going down the "keep" path... what has he done in the team's hotstreak that indicates his replacement would be unable to fulfill?
The question for me is, who the heck is there to be his replacement? If there IS a legitimate replacement that could be considered a 2C, change my vote. But not for prospects and picks.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
goooal

As with any trade topic: ONLY if the return is respectable.

goooal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
thomas vanek

Quote:

I was at the Isles game and, to my eyes he played well. Last night he made a CRUCIAL shotblock that may have helped gain us a point. I realize he's had a god-awful season at times, but unless there's something better out there, we need him. A playoff run will help make this team more attractive to players that we're trying to bring here in the summer. AND, my gut feeling is that if we get in, he's going to want to atone for his **** show last year against the Bruins.

Last edited by thomas vanek: 02-16-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling etc
thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i'd rather go for the playoffs, get the 7th seed, beat the lightning... and then anything can happen.

This is my thought too. I'm starting to think we're better off keeping him, and saying he is "our rental" and hoping that he can find his midseason form from last year.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
If by proven you mean 1 assist in 6 games last post season then I guess he is.

The guy is a bum. Dump him and bring in a center not on an expiring contract.

There is no reason we can't be a buyer and a seller at the deadline.
To be fair, Tim played that series on a broken foot. Whether he should have been playing at all is a valid question, but it's hard to call a guy a 'bum' for a drop in play due to a broken appendage.

He shouldn't have been walking, let alone playing.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

In addition, everyone keeps saying we're just going to be the 8 seed and lose, but who is to say we can't get higher than 8th? If we get to the 7th and play the Lightning, I love that matchup for us. **** we could even get higher than that if we do well on this homestand and carry the momentum on the March road trip

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
This is my thought too. I'm starting to think we're better off keeping him, and saying he is "our rental" and hoping that he can find his midseason form from last year.
I hate agreeing with this, especially as it is so darn close to the line of crap that Darcy fed us 2 years ago when he signed him again.

Old
02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

**** Tim, get him out. 3rd round pick, 2nd, whatever.

He won't make a noticeable difference one way or the other, either in securing a playoff spot or making noise if we get there.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Y'all do realize we're 9 pts back of both MTL and Bos with games in hand. While I don't see us winning the division, it is, officially, now not out of the realm of possibility. But, I agree, Jame, punch your ticket, takes your chances. Sell the negotiating rights for him at the draft table for a late 4th.

UFA Center market is thin this year.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:

He's an excellent PK'er. Without Roy I want his PK experience.

We should be beating the doors for another center and give Connolly to McCormick and Gerbe. Add Weiss to the top 6 and all of a sudden this is a much deeper team come April.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote