HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa - NYR

Old
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
SML

vCash: 500
Drury is stuck on the Rangers, even if he did want to leave. Small market teams don't want to pay him. Rebuilding teams don't need him, and contending teams can't fit him under the cap. Which leaves only a trade where the Rangers give up too much for someone to take him. With one year left, its not worth it. I consider him to be the primary case of why a GM should NEVER give a total NMC to any player, ever.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Hes not gonna score 70 points obviously and likely wont score at that pace but hes more a 55 point guy than a 35 point guy. And I'm sorry I said 1st++ rather than 1st+ like he did, I know that extra + has tons of potential
But you aren't getting a 1st+ or even a 1st for him. No team is going to give you a 1st round pick for a overpaid 37 year old dman with 2 years left on a 35+ contract. He is untradeable until the final year of his contract, when he will be nearly 39 years old. You think he'll be worth a 1st rounder then? I don't.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Not arguing with that, just the other poster's assertion that Gonchar can return to being a 70 point player or that he could net ottowa a 1st++ at some point.
I totally agree with that. Gonchar's had a nightmare year, but who on the Sens hasn't. He's easily be a 50 point D-man on a decent team. The Sharks would be foolish to not at least investigate the cost for him.

And yes, I think he's one of the few remaining Sens (the only actually) who could net a 1st +.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Wham City

Slats likey.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I totally agree with that. Gonchar's had a nightmare year, but who on the Sens hasn't. He's easily be a 50 point D-man on a decent team. The Sharks would be foolish to not at least investigate the cost for him.

And yes, I think he's one of the few remaining Sens (the only actually) who could net a 1st +.
Gonchar has had more like a nightmare past 2 years in the nhl. He was TERRIBLE for the Caps and hes TERRIBLE for the Sens. I think your one of the very few who see him as a 50pt D-man. Hes a defensive liability, signed for 2 more years at an overpriced 5.5m per, and hes on a 35+ contract. I agree everyone on the Sens has had a nightmare year but Gonchars value and play has been significantly downgraded through the past couple of years.

Hes not going to be traded for a 1st rounder PERIOD. No GM is going to give that for him. If Kaberle cant get a 1st rounder, then no way gonchar does. I honestly would rather send a 1st rounder for Phillips who can return to form of being a shutdown d-man. But in all honesty, sorry to break this to you, you wont get a 1st rounder for either player.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

It's pretty hard to make any proposal involving drury in which Rangers fans unanimously agree they wouldn't do. I commend you in your efforts.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
To Ottawa: Chris Drury + 2nd round pick
To NYR: Sergei Gonchar + 4th round pick

Salary implications
Chris Drury - 7.0 cap hit (5.0 million real dollars)
Sergei Gonchar - 5.5 cap hit (5.5 million real dollars)

Reasoning

Ottawa saves real dollars and should have no problem fitting the big cap hit in with the housecleaning that's going on (Fisher + Kelly already, Kovalev, Phillips, Ruutu, etc to come), and they get a body to fill in down the middle next year, a position they might be short. They also only get Drury for 1 year, instead of the 2 left with Gonchar.

The Rangers save cap space and get a PP QB to help their 23rd ranked PP.
That's the killer.
Besides, Gonchar sucks, so he is isn't really even a help.
Smartest move pens made was dumping his salary...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
But you aren't getting a 1st+ or even a 1st for him. No team is going to give you a 1st round pick for a overpaid 37 year old dman with 2 years left on a 35+ contract. He is untradeable until the final year of his contract, when he will be nearly 39 years old. You think he'll be worth a 1st rounder then? I don't.
Also, this too^!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:14 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Gonchar is a 35+ contract so I don't touch him. I don't even trade him for Wade Redden. You can't do diddle squat with a 35+ contract. Rangers have other places to trade Drury that don't get back a bad contract that isn't a 35+.

Rangers say no.

Buying out Drury saves more space, saves the 2nd round pick and doesn't create the 35+ 5.5m cap hit problem for 2 more years.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote