HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT The Deadliest Catch Edition

Old
02-16-2011, 07:32 AM
predfan98

vCash: 500
hope we see different lines next game, didn't like any of them really.

would rather have dumont in there than sully.........

put goc back into the euroline, put fisher with wilson..

watching the game,it just seemedfrom the second period on............we were just a little flat and and not as intense as the fishies.............

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:42 AM
lstcyr

[QUOTE=I Will Son;30960099]Yea Leggy didnt have a bad game in my eyes. But overall we sucked. This game is the exact reason why we need a finisher. If SJ,Van is our match up in the playoffs ( if we make the playoffs ) were 100% finished.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused. Haven't we beaten San Jose two out of three so far this season? With one loss, we're dead?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:42 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Legwand - Not effective at all, and he wasn't even matched against the Jumbo line. He was slow and pedestrian.
Really? Wasn't a great game, but he made a pretty setup for the goal. Late in the game he picked up puck in neutral zone and carried down right wing bringing 3 or 4 of the guppies with him, circled and laid a beautiful pass out for someone. Several other nice plays, too, particularly in on Dzone in the 3rd. Inconsistent tonight though - but the problem with that line is Sullivan, not Legwand.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:54 AM
deanwormer

[QUOTE=lstcyr;30966164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Yea Leggy didnt have a bad game in my eyes. But overall we sucked. This game is the exact reason why we need a finisher. If SJ,Van is our match up in the playoffs ( if we make the playoffs ) were 100% finished.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused. Haven't we beaten San Jose two out of three so far this season? With one loss, we're dead?
Exactly! The problem for SK and Marty tonight was they were out there against Thornton line instead of Leggy. Why wasn't Leggy? - cause he's got Sully, and Sully doesn't deserve more than 4th line minutes right now. Oh, and he's a DEFENSIVE LIABILITY and his juke no longer works, so you can move him off the puck mighty easily, not too mention how many breakaways is he gonna' completely flub this year?

SK was terrible for sure; Wilson continues to be inconsistent. Goc was rusty. Svatos - I dunno what Trotz is thinking there - maybe just giving him a game or 2 to get his legs under him - but he was lost playing with the checkers tonight. Ward actually played a decent game, but we could have used a little of his carry-it-down-with-tenacity tonight and he seemed to be more content with his battle-on-the-boards and soft dump-in game tonight.

Bad no-call to end the game; KK takes a high-stick and we get a bad change as he gets off the ice and have SOB and Sulzer on the ice - neither comfortable and boom - brain fart lets Marleau loose. Not an excuse - shouldn't have happened - but considering it's our home-ice those calls were interesting most of the night.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The OT goal is the exact reason we go out and find a veteran defenseman within the next week. Sulzer, SOB and Franson are too much of a liability on the back end. How does Patrick Marleau get behind everybody by that much of a margin? Inexcusable. We need a veteran d-man, pair him with Klein and be done with it. Then if and when we get to OT again you rotate that combo with Weber and Suter on the back end and the others never see the ice until they prove they are worthy again to do so.
preach it brutha!

Whis is exactly why we dont need to bring up Blum or Josi and expect them to play significant minutes. Sulzer is for all intents and purposes a rookie himself. If Cube isnt coming back withing the next week or so, I really think Poile must make a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
When the playoff race comes down to a couple of points each season, and the difference between home ice advantage and the 8th seed is only a game or two... yes every single game matters and there is no such excuse as "just one game", especially after the all-star break.

This. The points we crapped away in the last ten games may cost us home ice or even potentially the playoffs themselves. I would have no problem if we had been playing well and had one bad game, but that is not the case.

You can say Im overreacting but we have not been a good team for a while. Even when we were winning we were winning despite how we were playing, not because we were outplaying the opposition.

can we recover? of course. But we need to start playing better hockey, every night, and we need to start now.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Really? Wasn't a great game, but he made a pretty setup for the goal. Late in the game he picked up puck in neutral zone and carried down right wing bringing 3 or 4 of the guppies with him, circled and laid a beautiful pass out for someone. Several other nice plays, too, particularly in on Dzone in the 3rd. Inconsistent tonight though - but the problem with that line is Sullivan, not Legwand.
Sully i'm afraid is done. He can't score on a breakaway and now he can't pass and get's knocked off the puck easily. It's sad because he was a real good player but he's a shadow of himself now. Legwand has a great wrist shot and continues to try to use a slap slot which is below average. The one Legwand play that sticks out Legwand has the puck all alone on the pk on the sideboards and he didn't realize it and just a weak shot at Niemi and went to the bench. He could have made a move to net and deked Niemi and possibly scored ....possibly. The whole team didn't realize that they have seen Niemi before and he sees the shooter he can stop the puck 10 out of 10 times

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Don't understand Trotz's thinking with the line combos at all. Svatos was either ready to play, or he wasn't. If he's in the lineup, he can't be stuck with Spaling and Smithson or else he has practically zero value out there and certainly needs more than 6 shifts. On the flip side of this equation was Ward with Goc/Wilson. Flip Svatos and Ward at the very least. I'm not sure why Trotz felt it was necessary to move Ward up and neutralize Svatos. Although I'm the first to state the Preds need to focus more on, you know, SCORING, why break up a solid defensive line in Spaling/Smithson/Ward? I pretty much construct that line first and then worry about the other three lines. I was 100% confident that Trotz would start to mix-n-match as the game went on, but he just stood there unwilling to make those in game adjustments to make some effective line combos.

Rinne was spectacular.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The OT goal is the exact reason we go out and find a veteran defenseman within the next week. Sulzer, SOB and Franson are too much of a liability on the back end. How does Patrick Marleau get behind everybody by that much of a margin? Inexcusable. We need a veteran d-man, pair him with Klein and be done with it. Then if and when we get to OT again you rotate that combo with Weber and Suter on the back end and the others never see the ice until they prove they are worthy again to do so.
Is SOB not a veteran dman? he was out there with sulzer on the final sequence. I think this mythical veteran dman who doesn't make mistakes doesn't exist.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Sully i'm afraid is done. He can't score on a breakaway and now he can't pass and get's knocked off the puck easily. It's sad because he was a real good player but he's a shadow of himself now. Legwand has a great wrist shot and continues to try to use a slap slot which is below average. The one Legwand play that sticks out Legwand has the puck all alone on the pk on the sideboards and he didn't realize it and just a weak shot at Niemi and went to the bench. He could have made a move to net and deked Niemi and possibly scored ....possibly. The whole team didn't realize that they have seen Niemi before and he sees the shooter he can stop the puck 10 out of 10 times
I don't specifically remember the play in question so I could be completely off base here, but I'd imagine he decided to just dump the puck softly towards the net to be safe on the PK. If they needed a change the last thing you want to do is try being a hero only to turn the puck over on a poke check or missed shot. Also slapping one on net instead of softly shooting it runs the risk of missing and having the puck rocket out along the boards. With tired legs on the ice you don't to have to start chasing fresh players, and you certainly don't want to try chasing down a break out right in the middle of a PK line change.

I'll have to watch it again after class though...

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
hatedandproud

First let me say, rinne was fantastic! BUUUUT the goal he let in, and yes I'm saying that weak goal he let in, completely changed the momentum of the game.
Look at how the team played before and then after that goal. It deflated the Preds and gave that other team confidence which led to them being more aggressive and taking over.
I don't know what the deal is with rinne letting goals in over that left shoulder, but he needs to fix it.

Also, can one of you guys that play D (trigg?) tell me something? Why would suter backpeddled toward the middle of the ice instead of toward the shooter on that tying goal? I'm guessing he just feels more comfortable and gets more power going that way as opposed to leading with the other leg and going toward the outside (if that makes sense) OR is there a tactical reason to do it?
I feel if he challenged the shooter more that shot possibly doesn't happen.

Last edited by hatedandproud: 02-16-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: needed to add the question
hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:17 AM
predfan24

I really don't have a problem with Sulzer's play right now. Marleau's goal had more to do with Goc turning it over cleanly at the blueline. I wouldn't be opposed to picking up a solid rental vet though if Boullion is out long term.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
First let me say, rinne was fantastic! BUUUUT the goal he let in, and yes I'm saying that weak goal he let in, completely changed the momentum of the game.
Look at how the team played before and then after that goal. It deflated the Preds and gave that other team confidence which led to them being more aggressive and taking over.
I don't know what the deal is with rinne letting goals in over that left shoulder, but he needs to fix it.
That was just an amazing shot. As a goalie you can't cover the whole net. Seto was at a terrible angle and barely had any room to shoot at. If anything on that play I thought Suter was in good position to squeeze Seto off on the boards and instead he decided to not slow Seto down. I thought Suter had one of his weakest games of the year last night defensively.

Old
02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
That was just an amazing shot. As a goalie you can't cover the whole net. Seto was at a terrible angle and barely had any room to shoot at. If anything on that play I thought Suter was in good position to squeeze Seto off on the boards and instead he decided to not slow Seto down. I thought Suter had one of his weakest games of the year last night defensively.
Yes it was a good shot, I guess. But our 6'5" goalie should have that corner covered. Like you said, terrible angle...he can't let those in.
And agree on suter. I was editing my post when you were replying.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
That's the point. When Goc started fumbling the puck there, no way should Sulzer have been on his point, he should have been back towards the middle of the ice.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Yes it was a good shot, I guess. But our 6'5" goalie should have that corner covered. Like you said, terrible angle...he can't let those in.
And agree on suter. I was editing my post when you were replying.
I'm sorry I can't see anything Rinne did wrong on that goal. Setoguci is coming in with lots of speed and has a quick release on that shot with a lot of velocity. Rinne has the short side and lower part of the net covered. Looks like he's playing his angle pretty well to me. He can't come out way out and challenge the shooter because of the threat of the centering pass. Unless the goalie is standing straight up no goalie in the league is stopping that unless they are exposing the bottom part of the net. Rinne's big but he's not 7"5. Goalie's play the percentages and cover the bottom half of the net because you don't get sniped like that very often. If Rinne would have came way out and Seto would've centered it and they scored people would be bagging Rinne for that. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
That's the point. When Goc started fumbling the puck there, no way should Sulzer have been on his point, he should have been back towards the middle of the ice.
Don't you want your D-men jumping in the play on the 4 on 4? When Goc has time to build up speed from nearly all the way from our blueline to theres he can't lose the puck cleanly at the blueline. That is a great spot for the D to jump in the play. Could Sulzer and SOB been more conservative on that play? Yes, they could have for sure. But I don't have a problem with aggressiveness in the right situations and I think that should have been a good spot to jump in.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
jlsg

Quote:

Also, can one of you guys that play D (trigg?) tell me something? Why would suter backpeddled toward the middle of the ice instead of toward the shooter on that tying goal? I'm guessing he just feels more comfortable and gets more power going that way as opposed to leading with the other leg and going toward the outside (if that makes sense) OR is there a tactical reason to do it?
I feel if he challenged the shooter more that shot possibly doesn't happen.
The d's responsibility is to take away the passing lane and keep the puck carrier as wide as possible. If Sets was the only Shark on the break in then he would have went to him 1x1, but there were others breaking in as well. The goalie has the shooter and the d takes away the pass. Everyone played it perfectly, Peks just missed it. In Peks defense, it was a very good shot, he put it where he had to.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

OK.....the emo levels are higher than the radiation levels of Chernoble.

1) New Rule, even if you win the game you did the GDT for you get a new poster to make the new GDT thread. No more depending on streaks.

2) The motto of the Nashville Predators should be 'We will quickly annoy the **** out of you'. They do everything quickly and then forecheck you to death. Think, pesky little brother who's saying 'I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you.'

3) If Goc was ready why wasn't he on the Euro line? Seriously. They have been the strongest offensive line all year. The second most stable line being Spaling Smithson Ward. I want the following lines:

Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn
Wilson-Fisher-Sully
Hornqvist-Legwand-Svatos
Spaling-Smithson-Ward

4) Trade wise, would it be possible to get a scoring forward? You say yes, but the roster is full to the brim with forwards and if you make a move you have to move a roster player in the top 12. Svatos or Hornqvist would be those guys.

5) Rinne is the soild second in the Vesina race and I wish there was more talk about him with Thomas.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
OK.....the emo levels are higher than the radiation levels of Chernoble.

1) New Rule, even if you win the game you did the GDT for you get a new poster to make the new GDT thread. No more depending on streaks.

2) The motto of the Nashville Predators should be 'We will quickly annoy the **** out of you'. They do everything quickly and then forecheck you to death. Think, pesky little brother who's saying 'I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you.'

3) If Goc was ready why wasn't he on the Euro line? Seriously. They have been the strongest offensive line all year. The second most stable line being Spaling Smithson Ward. I want the following lines:

Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn
Wilson-Fisher-Sully
Hornqvist-Legwand-Svatos
Spaling-Smithson-Ward

4) Trade wise, would it be possible to get a scoring forward? You say yes, but the roster is full to the brim with forwards and if you make a move you have to move a roster player in the top 12. Svatos or Hornqvist would be those guys.

5) Rinne is the soild second in the Vesina race and I wish there was more talk about him with Thomas.
those really, really need to be the lines. my on knock on trotz is that he is terrible at setting lines and keeping chemistry between the lines. HOW is svatos gonna perform with no ice time and on the 4th line. (exactly what he did to dumont)

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

tim thomas keeps playing the way he has the last few games, rinne may be right there

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn
Wilson-Fisher-Sully
Hornqvist-Legwand-Svatos
Spaling-Smithson-Ward
I like the lines, but I still think Sully should sit and JP should play, even if that means moving Svatos up with Fisher and skating JP with Leggy.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Well, Sully and Dumont are both expendable. With Erat, Wilson, Kostitsyn, and Hornqvist they are the fifth wheel. If Nashville could turn them into a goal scoring forward that would be great. Not realistic, but great.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
OK, so a question for the more hockey savvy.. was marleau cherry picking, or was he just late getting into the play and lucked up when we turned it over?

and if he was intentionally cherry picking, is the defenseman supposed to fade back with him or should he have pushed forward to try to take advantage of numbers in our zone and leave the cherry picker to rinne?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
OK, so a question for the more hockey savvy.. was marleau cherry picking, or was he just late getting into the play and lucked up when we turned it over?

and if he was intentionally cherry picking, is the defenseman supposed to fade back with him or should he have pushed forward to try to take advantage of numbers in our zone and leave the cherry picker to rinne?
it's straight up man to man in overtime/4 v 4 situations our d dropped the ball in that situation

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
jlsg

Lot's of bashing on SOB and Sulzer, I can't really blame either. Look at the replay Marleau just jumped off the bench. Looks like Setaguchi comes off and Marleau shows up behind the D. Neither could have realized that he was there since he didn't skate past them. If he would have been in front of them off the bench they would have known he was there. Yes they SHOULD have been aware, but having been there that's an easy thing to have happen to you.

Last edited by jlsg: 02-16-2011 at 01:52 PM.
jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote