HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Teams have interest in MacArthur, Leafs in no rush to move roster players

Old
02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
MacArthur is a player who has played extremely well, but I'm very scared of one year wonders. Although, his chemistry with Kulemin and Grabo have enabled the Leafs to have a very consistent second line.

I won't look to move him unless the offer is too good. I doubt a team will give a mid 1st for him, and I won't trade him for a 2nd.

Toronto won't trade him, IMO.
I wouldn't trade MacArthur for a first-rounder I don't think.

It's just as much a gamble whether the first-rounder will turn out as it is whether MacArthur can continue his good play.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

I think MacArthur because he's an upcoming UFA, how well he's played and his relatively low salary is too valuable to not trade.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
I think MacArthur because he's an upcoming UFA, how well he's played and his relatively low salary is too valuable to not trade.
Upcoming RFA.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
He is an RFA.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
I could foresee Vancouver interested if the salary could be managed and they would be liable to offer a first due to the position. MacArthur would give considerable depth to an already stacked roster and the Nucks would not be committed to retain him should he demand too much.

That said, Toronto is foolish to move Mac unless his salary demands are ridiculously unreasonable.
The beauty of MacArthur is that he is a young, talented productive, pending RFA forward with a ridiculously low $1.100,000 cap hit who can help Cup contending teams with limited cap room.
Therefore he should fetch a first round pick AND a good prospect, perhaps more if a bad contract is also sent to the Leafs.

Sure Mac has fit in tremendously well with the Leafs but good asset management dictates that Burke consider seizing an opportunity to Sell him while his value is uniquely high.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Buddio
CFC

Burke struck gold with MacArthur. It would take a massive overpayment to get him out of a Leafs jersey.

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
LostInAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
He is an RFA.
This. Keep him, resign him for a long time. He is a great player who will be part of our core for years. Can't we keep a good player once in a while?

LostInAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
ComrieFanatic

We can't keep bringing in quality guys only to trade them because we fear they might regress a year or two down the road. At some point you have to move forward and just assume we have found ourselves a quality second liner for the next 5 years.

So, I'd like to keep him around. He's worked out great in Toronto, has found some chemistry on our second line, and seems to be one of the leaders in the room. If we trade him for a 1st rounder, it will take 3-4 years to see what we have, and we'll be just hoping he turns out to be as good as MacArthur was this year.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:14 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Upcoming RFA.
Thanks to you and Cyris. I still think he's too valuable to not trade though.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Dutch Dreams

I actually wanted to make a whole thread about this, but MacArthur for Goligoski?

Pittsburgh gets of the best 'bang-for-the-buck' wingers out there, and as an RFA, the security to re-sign him for a reasonable amount, and Toronto gets a top-four puckmover in anticipation of a Kaberle trade. Goligoski is also on a sweetheart deal, at 1.8m for another year, then RFA.

With the trade of Beauchemin, our only other 30+ guy in Kaberle would be out for a guy who's more along our team's average age going forward, at 25-26.

Although now that Versteeg is out I'd be much more hesitant to trade MacArthur. Kessel, Grabovski, Lupul and Kulemin would then be our only real top-six forwards going into next year.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
He has been good this year, but I dont see him being more than a average of 50 point guy.

If the Leafs can get a 1st or similar prospect take it. if not hold onto him
he already has 45 points ...and has been great in all aspects on and off the ice.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Just a little off topic, but this stands out for me in a funny sort of way is. Seeing a week or two of silly trade proposals or overvaluing on Beauchemin and Versteeg from Leaf fans finally getting silenced after they were finally traded, and now where down to the actual attractive players left on the Leafs roster (there was a Grabovski thread earlier) and how much more receptive other fans are towards making fictional offers for them.
Leafs fans think we came out pretty good on both accounts. ...no idea what you are talking about.

People were saying Versteeg would get at most a 2nd, and Beauch maybe less

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
TMLeafer

I'd like to keep MacArthur. His chemistry with Grabovski and Kulemin is quite impressive.

I don't think the Leafs have to worry about a one year wonder problem too much. I doubt he's going to get a long term contract. I can see a 2-3 year $2.5M/year contract, which isn't that big of a risk, IMO. Definitely keep him around.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He's a big part of one of the best second lines in hockey. Toronto would be foolish to break up a line with that sort of chemistry when next season at best you can only hope to come close to the same success with a second line forward.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
I actually wanted to make a whole thread about this, but MacArthur for Goligoski?

Pittsburgh gets of the best 'bang-for-the-buck' wingers out there, and as an RFA, the security to re-sign him for a reasonable amount, and Toronto gets a top-four puckmover in anticipation of a Kaberle trade. Goligoski is also on a sweetheart deal, at 1.8m for another year, then RFA.

With the trade of Beauchemin, our only other 30+ guy in Kaberle would be out for a guy who's more along our team's average age going forward, at 25-26.

Although now that Versteeg is out I'd be much more hesitant to trade MacArthur. Kessel, Grabovski, Lupul and Kulemin would then be our only real top-six forwards going into next year.
I would consider this but would ultimately reject. Value-wise theyre about equal but, like others have stated, Mac has fit really well in Toronto. He's definitely a building block towards the future and I don't think it would be wise to deal recently signed assets for reasons like worrying about whether a player may regress following a new contract deal

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post

I'd pass, I'd be too concerned that MacArthur is a 1 year wonder.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Roo

Definitely want to keep MacArthur.

The way he plays, he's just a very solid fit with Grabo and Kulie. You need to keep them together. On top of that, he's still only 25 years old.

Resign, he's a keeper.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
dubplatepressure

Wouldn't it be nice if we traded him for a good prospect and him Burkey had a hand-shake deal with him to front load his contract by an extra mil in the offseason to get him to come back?

Ahh, the dream.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
grabo84

He's pretty much the last person Toronto should be trading. I'm not surprised there's interest, but it isn't like he can walk at the end of the year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

I really hope he is kept. I love Macarthur. He fits in great with Kulemin and Grabovski.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
dubplatepressure

As a side note I thought he looked great during the Boston game.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
tillman40
Bo Knows Bo

Just curious to know what his cap hit would be at the deadline??....I am at work and too lazy to crunch the numbers

tillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Epoch

Hoping they re-sign him. That Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur line is fantastic.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Zrinski

At the deadline his cap hit is $242,473.

Zrinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
The beauty of MacArthur is that he is a young, talented productive, pending RFA forward with a ridiculously low $1.100,000 cap hit who can help Cup contending teams with limited cap room.
Therefore he should fetch a first round pick AND a good prospect, perhaps more if a bad contract is also sent to the Leafs.

Sure Mac has fit in tremendously well with the Leafs but good asset management dictates that Burke consider seizing an opportunity to Sell him while his value is uniquely high.
As well as he is playing for his cap hit, I can't see a contender giving up a 1st and a top prospect for him. He'll need a big raise from his current salary to the 3.2-3.8 mil range depending on how long term they go.

It's a tough spot for Burke, is he a flash in the pan who will go back to pre 10-11 form and play like a 3rd liner after this year? He may fetch a 1st or good young player.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote