HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blindenbacher recalled (reassigned 11/30)

Old
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Vincour had two more points than him when he got called up. Oh, and that's 12 points, nothing too special about that. Severin checks, shoots, and can actually skate, had any of you guys actually seen him play, you'd see that he was on a different level of thinking than the other D (not including Fortunas)
I'm kind of indifferent to the whole situation due to my ignorance of the player. However, your point about Vincour doesn't really have any place in this discussion; they wanted a look at a young player in the system while they had some forwards down with injury. It's just always going to be easier to be one of 12 rather than one of 6 guys.

I'm annoyed by Niskanen and Woywitka as much as anybody. It would have been nice to see what Blindenbacher had at some point and if he hadn't up and gone back to Europe he may still have gotten a chance. The guy was injured when we might possibly have recalled him earlier in the season IIRC. Now he's basically quit and somehow it's the organization's fault?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Well think about it like this. If you were brought in on a one year contract to see how you fair in the NHL and every other defenseman around you has gotten called up but doesn't have the credentials you have, I'd be incredibly upset too. I'm probably incredibly biased just because when the guy was injured he'd sit and talk with me about the game, he was a really cool dude.

Just venting!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Well think about it like this. If you were brought in on a one year contract to see how you fair in the NHL and every other defenseman around you has gotten called up but doesn't have the credentials you have, I'd be incredibly upset too. I'm probably incredibly biased just because when the guy was injured he'd sit and talk with me about the game, he was a really cool dude.

Just venting!
He probably deserved a call up, but he was hurt when we needed a D-man call up... such is life

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

Just venting!
It would have been pretty hard for him to come in and be a downgrade from Woywitka and Niskanen, so in that sense I would have liked to see him too. It's just too bad he isn't sticking it out through the entire one year of that contract.

Old
02-15-2011, 09:03 AM
jonas2244

According to the Swiss television he left because he wanted to see his doctor at home to check him. He seems to be a little bit worried about the concussions he had this seasons.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Trying to compare Blindenbacher and Vincour in terms of call ups is ludicrous since they play different positions. The Stars have called up relatively few D this year while the forwards basically all went down at the same time and they needed a bunch of guys to fill in.

Other than the Great Warm Up Collision, the Stars' defensemen have been generally healthy. Larsen, if healthy, is always the first call up when they need a player for 2-3 games simply because he is considered their best prospect, then it comes down to who is healthy and available to fill in in terms of him versus Fortunus.

The funny thing is Blindenbacher would have probably been the guy recalled today (rather than Ludwig) had he stuck around. If it's lingering concussion issues, it's another incidence of unfortunate timing. If it's just giving up, though, then its a bit ironic.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Obviously they don't play the same positions, but Larsen is way too small and everybody has such high hopes for him. He won't be this force people think he'll be. He's not physical and he doesn't shoot enough.

Old
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Severin Blindenbacher cleared unconditional waivers today for his release - so he's out of the system all together now.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Severin Blindenbacher cleared unconditional waivers today for his release - so he's out of the system all together now.

Didn't even get a chance....so Stars screwed 2 Swiss players career up to now.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post

Didn't even get a chance....so Stars screwed 2 Swiss players career up to now.
Or two failed.

Tobias sucked and Severin walked away. Big deal.

Quote:
Obviously they don't play the same positions, but Larsen is way too small and everybody has such high hopes for him. He won't be this force people think he'll be. He's not physical and he doesn't shoot enough.
I don't think we're counting on him being the next coming of Orr, but pretty much everybody who gets paid to have an opinion on these things seems to think he's going to be a player. The last two criticisms you tossed his direction are exactly the same things we heard about Zubov during his HOF worthy career.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 02-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old
02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
And like I said earlier in this thread, in your minor leagues, you've got organizational players and you've got prospects based on what their projected career path is. Larsen is projected to be an every day NHL player, quality TBD, and therefore he is a prospect. They will always get the benefit of the doubt in call ups, ice time and other intangibles. Blindenbacher was an organizational guy who could have, if he blew everybody away, worked his way up into a prospect or potential NHL player. But being a little better right now, especially given the significant age difference, was not going to cut it.

Of course, prospects can bust or become marginal NHLers (hi Niskanen!), and organizational players can become key cogs on NHL rosters (hi Robidas!). You can't count on definite development in one way or another.

But there is only so much ice time and resources to go around even at the AHL level, and teams have to make decisions on which guys they are going to invest their effort in. Larsen is clearly one of those guys. Blindenbacher performed well but he was always going to be starting way behind the pack, and especially with the injuries, he didn't outperform them enough to catch up.

As for Stephan, he is not an NHL-caliber goalkeeper. The only way the Stars screwed up his career is by showcasing that to the other NHL teams by playing him.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Really? Your going to complain about Stephan. Stephan didn't belong anywhere near an NHL roster.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Or two failed.

Tobias sucked and Severin walked away. Big deal.

I don't think we're counting on him being the next coming of Orr, but pretty much everybody who gets paid to have an opinion on these things seems to think he's going to be a player. The last two criticisms you tossed his direction are exactly the same things we heard about Zubov during his HOF worthy career.
I'm pretty sure Zubov would've had at least 90 points in the A by this time n the season. He shot plenty and wasn't expected to be very physical due to his insane instinct with the puck. All these people who think he's going to be a player also Drafted Glennie and Campbell.

Old
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Whenever he's been up with Dallas Larsen has been the most likely D to shoot and get his shots to the net, so I don't think that's a valid criticism.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
vofty

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Zubov would've had at least 90 points in the A by this time n the season. He shot plenty and wasn't expected to be very physical due to his insane instinct with the puck. All these people who think he's going to be a player also Drafted Glennie and Campbell.
When Zubov was 20 he was still playing in Russia but he scored 11 points/36 games. The next season he split time pretty close to 50/50 in the AHL/NHL and the rest is history. Granted Zubov did tear it up when he hit the AHL at 21 years old scoring 36 pts in 30 games.

So Larsen when he was 20 (last year) had 11 points/43 games (split 2 games in Dallas and the rest in SEL). 7 fewer games for Zubov at the same age to reach the same point total. Larsen so far has 16 points in 40 games. So far Larsen's development slope may be a tad slower than Zubov's but it is way to early to call this one yet. And hell we are comparing a kid to one of the greatest defenseman of all time, hardly fair.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote