HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OTT(Neil)-EDM(Brule)

Old
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
tucks

vCash: 500
OTT(Neil)-EDM(Brule)

OTT gets younger and saves some salary and a year of service. EDM gets tougher and then can afford to let Big Mac go. Great for our 4th line.

tucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:29 PM
zeus3007*

Brule will not help out Ottawa enough, in my opinion. I'd be all over this from Edmonton's perspective, but seriously doubt that Ottawa considers it. Brule's trade value is very low right now.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:31 PM
DG

Yeah, I think we can do better.

Maybs Cogs and a 3rd or something. Even then, I'm not pumped.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Yeah, I think we can do better.

Maybs Cogs and a 3rd or something. Even then, I'm not pumped.
If we need to add to Cogs, then its a non-starter I am guessing. Cogliano has been playing awesome lately, and is twice the player defensively as he was last season. And he's putting up more points. Despite the tendency for some Oiler fans to still rag on him, I would say that Cogs is worth more than Neil. Neil and a pick for Cogs, he would fit in well on the Sens second line behind Spezza for a long time. Then, you draft Landeskog at the draft, and bam, two decent scoring lines for Ottawa. Landeskog-Spezza-Alfie, Regin-Cogliano-Foligno.

Old
02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Value isnt there for Ottawa. Maybe if it was the Brule of 09-10 yes. Cogliano for Neil isnt worth it for Edmonton.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Dick Whitman

Doubt Ottawa would want Cogliano again. We have enough streaky forwards. I'd rather Ottawa get picks for Neil, not NHL busts like brule and cogliano.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:45 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If we need to add to Cogs, then its a non-starter I am guessing. Cogliano has been playing awesome lately, and is twice the player defensively as he was last season. And he's putting up more points. Despite the tendency for some Oiler fans to still rag on him, I would say that Cogs is worth more than Neil. Neil and a pick for Cogs, he would fit in well on the Sens second line behind Spezza for a long time. Then, you draft Landeskog at the draft, and bam, two decent scoring lines for Ottawa. Landeskog-Spezza-Alfie, Regin-Cogliano-Foligno.
Neil for Cogs straight up, then, maybe.

You guys need toughness, we need young players with offensive talent. Win-win.

Otherwise, you're right, maybe it's not a good fit.

Old
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Doubt Ottawa would want Cogliano again. We have enough streaky forwards. I'd rather Ottawa get picks for Neil, not NHL busts like brule and cogliano.
Watch Cogliano play before labeling him a "Bust". He's accepted his role a 3rd line checking centre. When injuries came up and he was put on a line with Hall, and Eberle they were all over a PPG.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
DG

Quote:
Meh, I wouldn't mind adding some young, established NHL players

Old
02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Wow, that is so much not the rebuild im hoping for...
lets be honest here if you thought Cogliano was our longterm solution behind Spezza as a 2nd line center then wouldnt he be good enough for you on your 2nd line given you dont really have any centers?
Not too mention you'd trade that longterm 2nd line center for Chris Neil?

i like Neil but seriously there is a disconnect here somewhere. im not even saying i wouldnt trade Neil for Cogliano but not as our longterm solution at 2nd line C
Anyway that's what RNH or Coutourier will be slotted

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
zeus3007*

Well, the Oilers don't need two long term second line centers, and I have Sam Gagner as just that. And Gagner is better than Cogs. So that takes care of that. And even if it isn't a "long term" solution, Cogs could totally fit in as a depth forward once you find a different guy to play in the top six. And why would you expect a top six forward for Neil anyway?

And RNH or Coutourier? Better hope you draft ahead of the Oilers then, ha ha. They will totally pick a center this year, I am guessing. Wouldn't shock me for the Isles to do the same.

Old
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Not fair to Ottawa.

Brule has a great season last year, but he has some undetermined health problems that have been plaguing him for about a year now.

If he were to come back and play the rest of the year like he did last year, maybe Ottawa does it to save money and get a younger player with similiar upside.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
DG

And why would you expect a top six forward for Neil anyway?

I wouldn't. But it all depends on demand. Scottie Upshall was traded for Dan Carcillo once upon a time. And Cogs is comparable to Upshall (at the time) but Neil is way better than Carcillo.

I definitely wouldn't expect it, but Neil has value,

Old
02-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

im not expecting a top 6 forward back for Neil. that was my point.
i dont think Cogliano is a top 6 player.
If we need a short term and possibly longterm solution (if we happened to draft Larsson instead of a center) then Regin slots in that spot and id rather have him there despite his horrific year than Cogliano.
Somehow i forgot about gagner....

All that having been said, Ottawa needs speed in the lineup and he woudl certainly address that. Problem is we have a lot of quality bottom 6 player its the higher end talent we need.
tough call.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
SpezDispenser

Just a pick will do. We don't want a project prospect for Neil, he's too valuable.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Watch Cogliano play before labeling him a "Bust". He's accepted his role a 3rd line checking centre. When injuries came up and he was put on a line with Hall, and Eberle they were all over a PPG.
We just traded away a 3rd line checking centre. Why would we want one in exchange for Chris Neil? I'd rather Ottawa take their chances with Winchester or Zack Smith to eventually fill that role and get a pick or prospect that could possibly turn into a top 6 forward.

Old
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
miser

If Neil were to be traded it would be for picks and prospects.

Cogliano isn't really what the Sens would be looking for - not sure his style of play is a fit for the Eastern Conference.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

No thanks. Brule could be good if he had stayed healthy but he has just missed too much hockey and is too worn down. I have even less interest in Cogliano. He's a decent player and he could maybe be useful to us if we had a better team, but he's not the guy I'd want. I'd think about Smid but he's quite injury prone, I'd only consider it if he plays LD. Only problem is, I don't think Oil fans would be too pleased with that deal...

Only things I can see being worth it for Ottawa are EDM 2nd (!!!), Omark (!!!!!!!!!), MAYBE Dubnyk + a little, or a guy like Pitlick or Lander. I can't see Edmonton being very open to parting with those assets, I can't see Ottawa thinking Cogliano or Brule are worth Neil, and obviously the young studs are way out of range. The best fit I can think of is Edmontons 2nd, thats the only thing that looks to me as though it might be mutually attractive. Edmonton is a bit further ahead in the rebuild than Ottawa, and Ottawa has Carkner (who I think could play F next year), so I could maybe see Ottawa valuing the pick more and Edmonton valuing Neil more, but its a thin line. This is just me thinking outloud, and as you can see I'm not thinking theres much of a deal to be made here. Also I feel like Edmonton doesn't have their 2nd for some reason so that would add to the futility of this post

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
TMONT

Quote:
Well, the Oilers don't need two long term second line centers, and I have Sam Gagner as just that. And Gagner is better than Cogs. So that takes care of that. And even if it isn't a "long term" solution, Cogs could totally fit in as a depth forward once you find a different guy to play in the top six. And why would you expect a top six forward for Neil anyway?

And RNH or Coutourier? Better hope you draft ahead of the Oilers then, ha ha. They will totally pick a center this year, I am guessing. Wouldn't shock me for the Isles to do the same.
I don't think this is an issue for Ottawa. Two trade this past week, and more to follow. The Sens are dismantling their core and giving opportunities to young AHL players with no realistic top 6 potential. I will be completely shocked if the Sens finish higher than 2nd last this year, meaning they will certainly have a shot at picking up a centreman. Did you also not notice that the Islanders are 3 points ahead of the Senators and just beat them again last night? What makes you think they'll draft ahead of the Senators at this point?

Lastly, I'm glad you put "i'm guessing" after saying Oilers will definitely draft a centre, because they are in just as dire need of picking up a stud defenseman as they are a centre. There's no guarantees Oilers pick first anyways. In short, yeah RNH or Coutourier are a distinct possibility for the Sens.

TMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
ItsTheBGB
WJC Pool Champ!

Quote:
I would say Brule has more value than a 3rd, which is all you would get for Neil, IMO. Mind you, you got a 2nd for Kelly.

ItsTheBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheBGB View Post
I would say Brule has more value than a 3rd, which is all you would get for Neil, IMO. Mind you, you got a 2nd for Kelly.
Chris Neil may not be a stud but I believe he's more valuable than Kelly is. Consider he took less money to stay in Ottawa, is signed long term, can play 10 minutes a night and drops the gloves with just about anyone.

Brule's not having the best season. I'm not sure he'd net more than a 3rd. He definitely wouldn't get Edmonton a second, that's for sure.

I can't see Neil being moved for anything less than what Kelly got us. It might happen but I doubt it.