HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If if Isles re-sign Aucoin AND Hamrlik, they're in trouble

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
If if Isles re-sign Aucoin AND Hamrlik, they're in trouble

My opinion: Kenny J's departure will be the greatest blow of all. Take a look at Seph's analysis here. He does a great job of discussing the reasons why neither Hamrlik or Aucoin will be the answer:

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...69&postcount=7

Don't know what the Isles will do for a replacement. Via UFA or trades, there simply aren't many players like Kenny out there.

Last edited by jfont: 07-18-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old
07-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Imagine that, analysis that goes beyond individual statistics! Great job by Seph.

All comes down to cap space Darth. Which is really the only reason I was dreaming (emphasize: dreaming) all along for Mr. Wang to write out a fat check to Mr. Yashin to go away.

We're likely looking to a replacement or two the ilk of Kevin Haller (talent; pricewise) on the backline. Yippee!

We'll see who declares that Roman Hamrlik is a bum then.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-18-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old
07-18-2005, 05:50 PM
jfont

Awards:
excuse my ignorance but why is jonnson not coming back?

07-18-2005, 05:59 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
excuse my ignorance but why is jonnson not coming back?
Because he doesn't want to play in the NHL anymore?

Old
07-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Makel

I don't know anymore. I can't figure the Islanders out. Are they willing to put a winner on the ice? Or is it replacement hockey, who can be bought for cheap to fill in basic voids.

I think if the Isles are finally looking for a winner, they'll actually make a pitch for Leetch, resign Aucoin, and get Pallfy back in an Islanders sweater.

Than, finally, I think we can have the team who makes it past the first round.

If not, the Isles will probably just resign Aucoin, sign Kasparitus, and let the youngsters prove themselves somemore.

I'd expect the latter.

Old
07-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, he wants to go back to Sweden, play with the hometown team. One can hardly blame him for putting his family and quality of life first.

Old
07-18-2005, 07:01 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Yeah, he wants to go back to Sweden, play with the hometown team. One can hardly blame him for putting his family and quality of life first.

let's not forget he is less likely to get a concusion over there

Quote:
they'll actually make a pitch for Leetch
very unlikely this will happen, it was just one reporters wish that they do.

Old
07-18-2005, 07:39 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makel

I think if the Isles are finally looking for a winner, they'll actually make a pitch for Leetch, resign Aucoin, and get Pallfy back in an Islanders sweater

Than, finally, I think we can have the team who makes it past the first round.

If not, the Isles will probably just resign Aucoin, sign Kasparitus, and let the youngsters prove themselves somemore.

I'd expect the latter.
For all those NYI should get Palffy:

Obtaining Palffy creates a problem. You just pushed down Parrish, Hunter, Weinhandl on the RW depth chart. Not that big a deal, but look at this way. MM must then TRADE one of those players (who are affordable & young - NYI motto these days) to either fetch a left winger or d-man. I doubt there is much trading next month if everyone can just go out on the open market to get players without giving up compensation for 'em.

NYI money needs to first go to DEFENSE. NYI have gone into the playoffs for the past three seasons with the highest GA of any playoff team (except last year NASH was 16th). That was with the supposed 'top4.' Now, NYI got DP (total of 80 games under his belt over 4 seasons) and we need to drop 4 mil on Palffy?

There are more than several players on the UFA market that can fill in the Yashin riddle, I hope, that would be more cost effective and better use of resources than Palffy.

For all those with Kaspar return:

Kaspar in NYI top 4 with Janne + Aucoin/Hammer is DP suicide. Please get beyond the NAME & FORMER PLAYER ATTACHMENT. Would I think MM would bring in Kaspar, if affordable & got nowhere on the market, yes. More for 'fan relations' than quality on ice product.

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 07-18-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old
07-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

McGillis might be a replacement option. I remember some NYI loyalists suggesting that the Isles could use a somewhat rugged D who can play decent minutes. He brings some experience and size, and can play the 2nd unit PP adequately. And because he won't be pursued by the greedy Leafs and Flyers, he'll probably be affordable.

Old
07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
McGillis might be a replacement option. I remember some NYI loyalists suggesting that the Isles could use a somewhat rugged D who can play decent minutes. He brings some experience and size, and can play the 2nd unit PP adequately. And because he won't be pursued by the greedy Leafs and Flyers, he'll probably be affordable.
the fact we have to sign 3 defensement makes McGillis a solid option, I figure he can be got for 1 million or so. Personally i hope somehhow we can get Foote(very unlikley) and/or Rathje(somewhat unlikely)

Old
07-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
the fact we have to sign 3 defensement makes McGillis a solid option, I figure he can be got for 1 million or so. Personally i hope somehhow we can get Foote(very unlikley) and/or Rathje(somewhat unlikely)
Rathje and McGillis, plus Hamrlik resigned is what I'm hoping for. Foote would be a dream come true, but I can't realistically ever see it happening.

But a top 4 of
Hamrlik-Rathje
Niinimaa-McGillis

isn't half bad. Maybe flip Hamrlik and Niinimaa.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I love it! Big, mobile, and physical.

Dare to dream guys! That is a defense with no real weak links.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I have a feeling that Mike Rathje is going to generate serious interest from 20 teams. Not sure what the asking price is going to be, but really, who doesn't want to add this guy to a roster?

Old
07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
I have a feeling that Mike Rathje is going to generate serious interest from 20 teams. Not sure what the asking price is going to be, but really, who doesn't want to add this guy to a roster?
i figure 2.5-3 million when all is said and done for rathje and he will probably end up on San Jose

Old
07-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
I agree and will state for the 1,000th time that AA has had good-very good years because of being paired with KJ. Losing "he of the one concussion the last four years" (just a little jab at how "concussive-prone" he is according to many) is going to affect this team more than resigning or losing either of Hamrlik/Aucoin.

Quote:
My opinion: Kenny J's departure will be the greatest blow of all. Take a look at Seph's analysis here. He does a great job of discussing the reasons why neither Hamrlik or Aucoin will be the answer:

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...69&postcount=7

Don't know what the Isles will do for a replacement. Via UFA or trades, there simply aren't many players like Kenny out there.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value
I agree and will state for the 1,000th time that AA has had good-very good years because of being paired with KJ. Losing "he of the one concussion the last four years" (just a little jab at how "concussive-prone" he is according to many) is going to affect this team more than resigning or losing either of Hamrlik/Aucoin.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think Kenny will only fully be appreciated when you watch Aucoin next year and say to yourself, "How did Kenny managed to keep the cracks from showing?" Kenny made anyone he played with look good and he'll be sorely missed.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Completely agree.

I think Aucoin and Hamrlik will generate a lot of interest as well. All three of these guys are high level defenders who won't cost as much as the Foote and Prongers of the NHL.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I agree wholeheartedly. I think Kenny will only fully be appreciated when you watch Aucoin next year and say to yourself, "How did Kenny managed to keep the cracks from showing?" Kenny made anyone he played with look good and he'll be sorely missed.
One guy who could replace Kenny is (although he is probably not available): Keith Carney. He plays the same sort of heady game, with a little less skill. Carney would be the perfect partner for Aucoin, much like Kenny J was in his prime.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Seph

Quote:
One guy who could replace Kenny is (although he is probably not available): Keith Carney. He plays the same sort of heady game, with a little less skill. Carney would be the perfect partner for Aucoin, much like Kenny J was in his prime.
That's a great idea. Though I do question how many years Carney has left in the tank, he's been an excellent defenseman for quite a while now. And while he is a little less skilled, one area he has the edge on Jonsson is that he's stepped up in the playoffs.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Man, Mania and a couple other boards had "Clamoring for Carney" posts for the last two years. It would be too good to be true.

Meanwhile, Alan Hahn is still holding a candlelight vigil outside the Coliseum for Darius' return.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value
Man, Mania and a couple other boards had "Clamoring for Carney" posts for the last two years. It would be too good to be true.

Meanwhile, Alan Hahn is still holding a candlelight vigil outside the Coliseum for Darius' return.
Actually I think that he's been staring at a mirror saying "hcteeL" with his finger for about a month now.

If you are going to go out and sign McGillis and Rathje why not go ahead and keep Aucoin? Jonsson probably made his game look better than it is, but still: if you don't think that this guy is a top tier defenseman in the NHL you have another thing coming.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Rathje > Aucoin >> McGillis

Rathje is simply a better overall dman than Aucoin. McGillis, on the other hand, offers only one real advantage over Aucoin - much more physical.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:40 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Rathje > Aucoin >> McGillis

Rathje is simply a better overall dman than Aucoin. McGillis, on the other hand, offers only one real advantage over Aucoin - much more physical.
and much more cheaper as well.

Old
07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Makel

Hahn is praying to god Leetch somehow ends up on the Island.

I, myself, would LOVE Carney. I don't really care accept for a few things: The team receives upgrades in two areas(defense, winger for Yash)..

The team absolutely is hanging on for dear life when it comes to competing with the mediocre through high end teams. We need upgrades.

If that means signing Leetch, Rathje, whatever. We can't lose Aucoin. We may be able to get someone else for cheaper, but you know what? Aucoin was the face of this organization last year. He was awesome. He deserves to stay here. I, as I'm sure many other Isle fans, will be extremely PISSED if Aucoin is gone.

Old
07-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I always thought Aucoin was a tad overrated. But, there is no questionning his overall level of effort. He worked his butt off on the Island. Although he is not nearly as talented as Hamrlik or Janne N., he badly outplayed both dmen last season.

Whether he leaves or stays, Aucoin is a class act.

Closed Thread