HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Maloney on VS last night

Old
02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
My last comment on the matter is that 98% of the Leagues playing population endorse fighting and agree that it has a place in the NHL.

If the combatants are OK with it, and a large majority of the fan base if OK wiht it, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

I wish there was more of it. Not the staged stuff, but it seems like the hatred that teams used to have for one another has died down quite a bit and because of that, there are no more situations like the one between NYI and Pitt which I thought was long overdue and for the Islanders, much needed.

Teams like that need those kinds of bonding moments.

Winning a few games can NEVER do for a team what a night like that can do for a team. There's nothing like it. It changes the way you view players in your own locker room and for anyone that has ever played the game and been through it, you know exactly what I am talking about.

If you haven't gone through it, sad for you.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My last comment on the matter is that 98% of the Leagues playing population endorse fighting and agree that it has a place in the NHL.

If the combatants are OK with it, and a large majority of the fan base if OK wiht it, it's not going anywhere any time soon.
You're right, just look at this world years ago, everything we did was perfectly fine and since the majority of people making money form those things were okay with it so should we.

Safety and barbaric practices have never come in question and as long as peeps make money who cares right??

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Eliminate cheap plays and goons. Keep fighting. Make Crosby stand up for himself and he slewfoots someone and Ovechkin too when he late hits.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You're right, just look at this world years ago, everything we did was perfectly fine and since the majority of people making money form those things were okay with it so should we.

Safety and barbaric practices have never come in question and as long as peeps make money who cares right??
Who are you to question with the players themselves are perfectly fine with, AND ENDORSE.

And you keep bring up Safety yet the percentage of actual injuries associated with fighting are less than 1%

Please get hurt more in practice than they do from fighting.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

Most of the players are not goons though, so what would be their interest in keeping fighting in the game? They clearly wouldn't lose their jobs or make less money if fighting was elminated. In fact, you seem to think the league as a whole would benefit, which would cause them to make more money.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
That's the perception, and the 'fight clubs' ultimate warning, but in the end guys like Cooke won't be paid millions to play a sport, and he will never be able to hit like that again. Ya think he'll play that way again? Or players coming up will be trained that way?

Its simply up to the owners, when they are ready to take the leap into the future they will do so.
Bettman has been trying to get the game to "leap into the future" since he took over and has totally killed the game. Not sure how old you are, but find some games from the late-80's, early 90's and try to tell me it is better today.

Watch what happens to the crowd when a fight starts. 90% of the fans love a good fight.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Bettman has been trying to get the game to "leap into the future" since he took over and has totally killed the game. Not sure how old you are, but find some games from the late-80's, early 90's and try to tell me it is better today.
Totally killed the game? That's a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Every commissioner in every sport is disliked, some more than others

BTW, if you read more than just a few lines in this thread you would see I grew up on hockey from 1979-1994. Best Hockey I've ever seen, but that game is not the same as we watch today.

Old
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
patnyrnyg

not much of an exaggeration.

Haven't read the whole thread. However, the thought of banning fighting is just another example of our society and how we live in an age of overreacting to everything. Yes, the Isles-Pens incident was ugly, but when was the last time we had something this ugly? The aftermath of when Lemieux decked Draper 15 years ago? If anything the fighting HELPED that rivalry. So, one incident every 15 years and they should ban fighting? Give me a break.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
not much of an exaggeration.

Haven't read the whole thread. However, the thought of banning fighting is just another example of our society and how we live in an age of overreacting to everything. Yes, the Isles-Pens incident was ugly, but when was the last time we had something this ugly? The aftermath of when Lemieux decked Draper 15 years ago? If anything the fighting HELPED that rivalry. So, one incident every 15 years and they should ban fighting? Give me a break.
I think we can dig a lot deeper than just 'society we live in overreacts'. There's two sides to that coin. There is that side that goes too far in the name of 'society', then guys like you join the other side and say 'everything's been RUINED by society!'

This damn evolution, when will it end?

I think a good point, in 2011, is that we're still seeing things like last Friday in the NHL when we really shouldn't be. Just like the cheap shots and high hits, there are obviously some things in the game that are off and need to be looked at in the name of safety, integrity and awareness of their product.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
patnyrnyg

Funny you bring up safety. I happen to know a guy who was a prominent player for the Giants. Him and I were talking about the issue of concussions and I would say the same thing about NHL equipment. Go back to the soft equipment. In football, bring back leather helmets and padding that is soft, not the hard plastic. Make the purpose of the equipment for protection, not weaponry(sp?). In hockey, I would say bring back the equipment of the 70's, well maybe not for the goalies as someone would get killed.

As for societ, society has gone soft in just about every aspect of life. It is pathetic.

Still seeing things like last friday? Those types of incidents are few and far between that it can still be deemed a problem. We are not in the days of the Broad Street Bullies or does the league resemble a scene out of Slapshot on a regular basis.

Old
02-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
As for societ, society has gone soft in just about every aspect of life. It is pathetic.

Still seeing things like last friday? Those types of incidents are few and far between that it can still be deemed a problem. We are not in the days of the Broad Street Bullies or does the league resemble a scene out of Slapshot on a regular basis.
Part of society has gotten soft. The other I believe is just being responsible, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last Friday showed a number of things, among them and maybe most importantly was the breakdown at almost every level from that first game in Pittsburgh until the end of that farce of a game last Friday. Every one associated with the incident from the brass on down should really be ashamed that in this day and age they encouraged this by not standing up and straightening it out from the beginning. The league can do much better but they claim this ignorance that they can only do so much. I agree, with light suspensions you'll prevent lttle from changing not only the rule but the attitude towards this behavior.

The league should have apologized to the fans right away, but of course you can't stroke the cat and beat him at the same time

Old
02-16-2011, 09:47 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Part of society has gotten soft. The other I believe is just being responsible, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last Friday showed a number of things, among them and maybe most importantly was the breakdown at almost every level from that first game in Pittsburgh until the end of that farce of a game last Friday. Every one associated with the incident from the brass on down should really be ashamed that in this day and age they encouraged this by not standing up and straightening it out from the beginning. The league can do much better but they claim this ignorance that they can only do so much. I agree, with light suspensions you'll prevent lttle from changing not only the rule but the attitude towards this behavior.

The league should have apologized to the fans right away, but of course you can't stroke the cat and beat him at the same time
you sound like you are ultra sensitive. while the cheap shots arent good i dont see why you or anybody get so offended. its sickining

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
patnyrnyg

Apologize to the fans? Oh please. The Penguins were LAUGHING when DiPietro got knocked out. Then, they were getting killed and the Isles wanted to give them a bit of their own medicine. Did it go over the line? Yeah, but oh well. They had it coming.

Old
02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
you sound like you are ultra sensitive. while the cheap shots arent good i dont see why you or anybody get so offended. its sickining
I like you too buddy

Yeah sickining.

Old
02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

are you a woman?

Old
02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
are you a woman?
Come on, I should be asking you that the way you get your panties in such a bunch so quickly

Seriously, you have nothing to worry about, fighting will be around for the rest of your lifetime and beyond ! And we have McilRATH coming and he's a comer, go check out how he's doing tonight against the whl's ********* team, I'm sure he's just aces kid

Old
02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
patnyrnyg

I'm asking because you sound like one, no offense. I am excited for McIlraith, but didn't he have 2 serious injuries this season? Makes me a little worried. Ripping guys in the CHL and ripping guys in the NHL are two different things.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samash View Post
I think getting rid of fighting will eliminate players such as Cooke, no?
Why would you think that? If the Pens players have nothing at risk because someone is to have to anwser for Cooke's antics - what's to stop him from keep doing that?

This is just IMO, but a month ago Cooke ran (or at least had inappropriate contact with) Dipietro 3 times in a Pens/Isles game. Isles response is, if you're going to do that - we're going to kick your ass. And that's a reasonable response IMO. If someone went out and consistently ran Fleury, I'd hope that the Pens would respond as well. If the League's not going to stop Cooke - it's up to the players to do so. And if Cooke turtles - it's reasonable to make the other Penguins pay the price for his teammate's actions.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote