Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

CHL goalie signed to NHL contract

Old
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
CHL goalie signed to NHL contract

mirtle Odessa Jackalopes to the NHL? RT @NYIslanders: The #isles have signed goaltender Joel Martin to an NHL two-way contract.

Not often an organization has to reach from NHL, past AHL and ECHL, to CHL.

Loaned to AHL Bridgeport.

(The Islanders really need to get some depth in their goal tending.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Steelhead16

At this point why not?

Last edited by Steelhead16: 02-04-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:40 AM
JeffNYI

ECHL hard core fans may insist that they're a step up from the CHL, but they aren't. They're on par.

Frankly they goofed up going for Martin.. if they were going to go the CHL route they should have got Jakaitis..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:45 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
ECHL hard core fans may insist that they're a step up from the CHL, but they aren't. They're on par.

Frankly they goofed up going for Martin.. if they were going to go the CHL route they should have got Jakaitis..
Don't fool yourself. The CHL is a step or two slower than the ECHL, any player who has played in both leagues will tell you that. The IHL of the last few years was clearly steps below both leagues.

In Martin, they signed a guy they were already familiar with. He was in camp with the Isles/Sound Tigers earlier this year. Should they have gone after Jakaitis? Probably. There's probably four or five guys better than Joel Martin out there. But this is the Isles, so they have to do it on the cheap.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Quote:

CHL may not that far off skill wise but you see far more AHL Call ups from the ECHL.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:20 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
ECHL hard core fans may insist that they're a step up from the CHL, but they aren't. They're on par.Frankly they goofed up going for Martin.. if they were going to go the CHL route they should have got Jakaitis..
????????????Bizarre comments.

If you watched more than a game of 2 of both you would see the difference in a heartbeat.
Players in the CHL are hoping they can advance to the ECHL....no one in the ECHL is wanting to go to the CHL.
Night and day...

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Steelhead16

CHL players are made up of young guys who didn't make ECHL rosters and mostly of guys who qualify as "veterans" in the ECHL. With the limited number of Veteran spots on ECHL rosters there is no place for them in the ECHL. There are still numerous guys in the CHL with ECHL talent but they have ECHL talent as their "ceiling". The ECHL is a truly developmental league. The most talented players on most ECHL teams are young and have AHL or NHL talent as their "ceiling". The veteran guys are there to teach the younger guys how to be a pro.

If hockey talent was graded A, B & C, the ECHL has mostly A's and B's and the CHL mostly B's and C's. So both leagues have an overlap in the middle talent level but the ECHL is definately a step above the CHL in talent.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:20 AM
JeffNYI

As I said, ECHL supporters will insist there's a measurable talent gap, but there is not.

The salary caps are (I believe) within about 10% of each other, meaning the players go where the money is for them, and thus the talent at that level is distributed due to sheer economics.. The leagues also compete over coaching candidates. In addition, they have relatively similar veteran limits (4 vs 6)..

If you want to say one league has a slight edge over the other, I would obviously agree because it's logically impossible that they would be exactly equal.. but to suggest they are, quote: "night and day" or that the position that they're relatively the same is "fooling yourself", well - we will just agree to disagree.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The number of vets isn't the issue. The number that determines who is and isn't a vet is a better measure. I'm not familiar with the numbers now but I remember when I followed the ECHL, a guy could be a vet in the E and not in the C.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:48 AM
TopCityAirCapHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
The number of vets isn't the issue. The number that determines who is and isn't a vet is a better measure. I'm not familiar with the numbers now but I remember when I followed the ECHL, a guy could be a vet in the E and not in the C.
The ECHL considers anyone that has played 260 or more games a veteran whereas the CHL classifies a veteran as anyone that has played 301 or more games. That is a huge gap- almost 2/3rds of a season difference.

TopCityAirCapHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:26 PM
TopCheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
????????????Bizarre comments.

If you watched more than a game of 2 of both you would see the difference in a heartbeat.
Players in the CHL are hoping they can advance to the ECHL....no one in the ECHL is wanting to go to the CHL.
Night and day...
I don't know that it's quite that clear cut. I personally know a goalie who has played in both the Coast and the CHL this year and he was actually doing better in the ECHL.

TopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

A lot of factors there. Motivation, confidence, the defensive play of his teammates, etc.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
TopCheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
A lot of factors there. Motivation, confidence, the defensive play of his teammates, etc.
That goes without saying, and I'm certainly not trying to say the CHL is a better league. I'm just not convinced that ECHL is better by as wide a margin as some on here suggest. Like someone said earlier, the Coast seems to have guys who might not be as polished yet but have a higher ceiling.

TopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote