HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Luke Schenn vs PK Subban

View Poll Results: Which young dman for your team?
Luke Schenn 134 43.93%
PK Subban 136 44.59%
Different players. Equal value. 35 11.48%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 500
Anyone who says that Schenn and Subban are comparable defensively are just being straight up biased. Subban can hold his own defensively, but he is very cleary a notch or three below Schenn in that regard. The opposite is true offensively.

Guess it depends on team needs.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
The Habs will never trade Subban for Schenn. Never. A No. 1 defenseman who can move the puck, quarterback the PP, good densively, capable of playing big minutes against the other teams best players is much harder to find than an excellent defensive defenseman.
PK Subban does seem pretty thick in the head, but I dont think that works in his favour.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Subban: offensive defensemen
Schenn: defensive defensemen

Why compare them? Different types of players.

Oh wait, we're lacking in Habs fans and Leafs fans whining at one another lately.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
PK Subban does seem pretty thick in the head, but I dont think that works in his favour.
The Habs used to think this way and look at what they have lost: Chelios, Roy, Corson, etc. These thick in the head athletes are the one who will win the championship for you.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
JVR21
G

Schenn easily for me.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
The Habs will never trade Subban for Schenn. Never. A No. 1 defenseman who can move the puck, quarterback the PP, good defensively, capable of playing big minutes against the other teams best players is much harder to find than an excellent defensive defenseman.
Subban is a 1st-line D-man on the Habs but, if you paired Subban with a defensive D-man like Schenn (or even somewhat below Schenn), that would be a darned good top D-man line. Only a handful of teams would not have Subban on the top D-man line. (Philly, for instance)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Cmon Schenn isn't that bad
lol at canadiens fan there was already a thread proving schenns superiority and with MUCH better numbers in defensive zone on a much ****tier team. That itself speaks words, put schenn in montreals line up and he instantly becomes that much more better than subban almost everyday of the week. Schenns job is to be a defenseman and shutdown guys, hes excellent at that and if he prevents the other team from scoring while pitching in a little, his value is much greater to me than subban with a minus record on a team that has 30 more goals for than against.

Last edited by stavs: 02-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.
stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:47 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
lol at canadiens fan there was already a thread proving schenns superiority and with MUCH better numbers in defensive zone on a much ****tier team. That itself speaks words, put schenn in montreals line up and he instantly becomes that much more better than subban almost everyday of the week.
Subban is often the best Habs D. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here...

I find it funny that Leafs fans would vote for the Leaf player in any ''player A vs B'' poll against the Habs yet argue that these players are underestimated because they play on a terrible team.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:50 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Subban is often the best Habs D. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here...

I find it funny that Leafs fans would vote for the Leaf player in any ''player A vs B'' poll against the Habs yet argue that these players are underestimated because they play on a terrible team.
edited it and check stats in price + subban or reimer + schenn thread, schenns defensive stats are much better than subbans and somehow schenn is a plus player on a very brutal team with much more goals against than for, while subban i believe is a -8 on a team that has 30 more goals for.... go figure who is the better defensemen overall since schenn also actually has slightly more ice time minutes per game. hands down schenn almost every day of the week like i said

Old
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
TheBuriedHab

Tough one. Schenn is the exact type of Dman the habs need to pair with a guy like Subban, But Subban's talent, along with his personality is hard to find. I'll take Subban, because I feel his Skills are more important in todays nhl. And the dude plays sometimes 30 minutes a game. Impressive for a rook.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
edited it and check stats in price + subban or reimer + schenn thread, schenns defensive stats are much better than subbans and somehow schenn is a plus player on a very brutal team with much more goals against than for, while subban i believe is a -8 on a team that has 30 more goals for.... go figure who is the better defensemen overall since schenn also actually has slightly more ice time minutes per game. hands down schenn almost every day of the week like i said
Compare Subban's +/- with other Habs defensemen and consider how Martin uses him. +/- is a team stat that means very little as it depends on matchups and who is on the ice with you.

Spacek +8 (he's VERY sheltered, being our second worse defensemen)
Weber +5 (sheltered, little ice time)
Picard +3 (worse Habs defensemen, very sheltered, plays little minutes rarely)
Markov +2 (best habs D, only played a few games)
Hamrlik +1
Wisniewski -1 (since he joined the Habs)
Gorges -3 (best habs defensive D)
Subban -3
Gill -8 (best habs shut down D)

See? It makes very little sense if we assume +/- is directly related to defensive ability (Subban IS better defensively than a lot of these guys, especially the top3 in +/-, ironically!). Martin matches his defensemen carefully and Subban often gets the most difficult assignements and lots of tough 5 on 5 minutes. He played most games paired with Gill (shut down pairing) and Picard (subban had to save his sorry ass every game), btw.

Its not even close offensively btw. Subban is in another league, he produces points over twice as fast as than Schenn and always has (wether in the NHL or in juniors). Ask Subban to play stay at home D and he'd be a brute (ask Crosby, who couldn't score a goal when he was on the ice in the playoffs.. and they were often on the ice at the same time!)

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 02-16-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old
02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Compare Subban's +/- with other Habs defensemen and consider how Martin uses him. +/- is a team stat that means very little as it depends on matchups and who is on the ice with you.

Spacek +8 (he's VERY sheltered, being our second worse defensemen)
Weber +5 (sheltered, little ice time)
Picard +3 (worse Habs defensemen, very sheltered, plays little minutes rarely)
Markov +2 (best habs D, only played a few games)
Hamrlik +1
Wisniewski -1 (since he joined the Habs)
Gorges -3 (best habs defensive D)
Subban -3
Gill -8 (best habs shut down D)

See? It makes very little sense if we assume +/- is directly related to defensive ability (Subban IS better defensively than a lot of these guys, especially the top3 in +/-, ironically!). Martin matches his defensemen carefully and Subban often gets the most difficult assignements and lots of tough 5 on 5 minutes. He played most games paired with Gill (shut down pairing) and Picard (subban had to save his sorry ass every game), btw.

Its not even close offensively btw. Subban is in another league, he produces points over twice as fast as than Schenn and always has (wether in the NHL or in juniors). Ask Subban to play stay at home D and he'd be a brute (ask Crosby, who couldn't score a goal when he was on the ice in the playoffs.. and they were often on the ice at the same time!)
LOL EVERY D MAN ON THE LEAFS IS A MINUS EXCEPT SCHENN, DOES THAT MAKE MORE SENSE FOR YOU??? LOL

And why would i care about what they do offensively, I know schenn isnt as talented offensively, but he is a much better defensive defensemen who will PREVENT goals from going in. That to me is just as valuable as getting points

Old
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

Quote:
LOL EVERY D MAN ON THE LEAFS IS A MINUS EXCEPT SCHENN, DOES THAT MAKE MORE SENSE FOR YOU??? LOL
LOLOLOLOL....

Are you aware +/- is an awful stat?

Subban is out there facing top lines night after night with all the injuries. Might have a little to do with this?

Also, lol at people saying ''Schenn is a + on a ****** team''. Well, at the moment, Subban is the no1 D of the 5th team in the East.

Blame Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:

And why would i care about what they do offensively, I know schenn isnt as talented offensively, but he is a much better defensive defensemen who will PREVENT goals from going in. That to me is just as valuable as getting points

I don't think you understand anything - Subban is a complete defenseman - which Schenn isn't.

Nobody is saying Schenn is bad, he's a stud defensively. But thats as far as it goes really.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

And why would i care about what they do offensively, I know schenn isnt as talents offensively, but he is a much better defensive defensemen who will PREVENT goals from going in. That to me is just as valuable as getting points
By a huge +/- 5 over Kaberle and Gunnarson, how relevant... Who plays the toughest minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John le Perron View Post
Also, lol at people saying ''Schenn is a + on a ****** team''. Well, at the moment, Subban is the no1 D of the 5th team in the East.
Best argument to have come out in a while!

But hey, don't let facts counter useless stats

Lidstrom is 5th in +/- for defensemen on the Red Wings btw. Brian Rafalski is clearly their no1, with Ericsson strongly established as their no2!

Old
02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
stavs

and here come the angry habs fans....

keep telling me i cant read stats, when stats are clearly proving some things here

and to put dagger in the chest, guess what schenn is in front of two goalies (gust and giggy) who are in the .800's this season while Carey is .920

LOL

Old
02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

Quote:

keep telling me i cant read stats, when stats are clearly proving some things here

Ah, using overused internet memes to counter someone else's argument.

Perfect when you have nothing to say.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Andy

Harder to find defense of Subban's type IMO and that is why I'd choose, but aside from that it's apples and oranges. Schenn excels at his part of the game and Subban does at his part. That being said, again I still think Puck moving and rushing defensemen are important in today's nhl, that is why I choose Subban.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Go on the Red Wings board and tell them Rafalski is their no1 because he's +15 over Lidstrom.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Schenn has the edge in the physical department.

Defensively, it's very close as Subban has improved immensely this season in his zone and his passes are tape to tape.

Offensively is where Subban puts Schenn in his back pocket and by a mile!

Overall, Subban is a much better player than Schenn.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Thrillingbroom

Subban obviously he has more playoff points than Schenn.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:36 PM
stavs

guys lets just all start disregarding some stats because its not important....

Old
02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

Quote:
The only stats in which Schenn is better is +/- and hits. That's it.

We can look at points and TOI if you want, too.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Burke really got fleeced! He should have got two firsts for Versteeg since he is just as productive as Kessel

Nice to see Kulemin is already a better offensive player than Phil the Thrill too!

(just trying to make you realize stats don't tell the whole story most of the time. Subban's career +/- is better than Schenn's, if you really care)

Old
02-16-2011, 08:46 PM
leafsforever

luuuke easily.

leafsforever is offline   Reply With Quote