Notices

Glencross ?

Old
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
How many general managers are going to be lining up to take Staios off of our hands for a draft pick? Very few, if any. I'm gonna get flack for this, but we are better off trading Sarich. His cap relief is greater than Staios, and his return would be much better. Staios and Pardy are capable of filling in for Sarich for the remainder of the year. Also Erixon and Brodie can take his spot full time next time year. Trade Sarich back to Tampa for a 2nd round pick and mid level prospect.
I think you overestimate Sarich's value. I'm thinking a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if your lucky.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I think you overestimate Sarich's value. I'm thinking a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if your lucky.
Idk, on deadline day I would not at all be surprised to see Sarich draw a minimum of a 2nd round pick. Hate to use the comparasion, but Sutter gave a 3rd and Johnson for Staios. You would have to think Sarich would at least get the same. To me it depends more if it is a low 2nd or high 2nd round pick. This draft is not that deep, if teams are in contention I would not be surprised to see them move out draft picks.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:06 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Hate to use the comparasion, but Sutter gave a 3rd and Johnson for Staios. You would have to think Sarich would at least get the same.

I wouldn't use one of the dumbest trades Darryl Sutter has ever made as a comparison, though. If Feaster were able to get just a 2nd for Sarich, he deserves a pat on the back.

Although I'd much rather see Staios dealt than Sarich.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I wouldn't use one of the dumbest trades Darryl Sutter has ever made as a comparison, though. If Feaster were able to get just a 2nd for Sarich, he deserves a pat on the back.

Although I'd much rather see Staios dealt than Sarich.
Agreed it is an extreme example, but it shows how desperate some GM's get and the kind of bizzare deals that can occur on deadline day. I'd much rather keep Sarich as well, but what can we get for Staios? He's borderline untradeable at this point. If we are going to get a 2nd round pick, really Sarich, Glencross and Moss are the only guys that we can move to obtain that. Although in Sarich and Moss' case, they could be moved in the offseason.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 02-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old
02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

If Hal Gill during his tenure with the Leafs can get a 2nd and a 5th, Sarich should be able to get a 2nd.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Agreed it is an extreme example, but it shows how desperate some GM's get and the kind of bizzare deals that can occur on deadline day. I'd much rather keep Sarich as well, but what can we get for Staios? He's borderline untradeable at this point. If we are going to get a 2nd round pick, really Sarich, Glencross and Moss are the only guys that we can move to obtain that. Although in Sarich and Moss' case, they could be moved in the offseason.
There's literally no chance Sarich could bring back a second round pick, or even a third or fourth for that matter. Not with his tumultuous play this season and more importantly, the extra year on his contract. And that's the reason why Staios might actually have some value at the deadline. He can step on to a new team as the 6th or 7th defensemen, adding defense depth plus providing veteran leadership and so on without the team having any obligations past this season. Vancouver is ideal example of a team that could find value in him what with their lofty cup aspirations and severe injuries on defense.

The only way the Flames could move Sarich right now would be by taking salary back which, of course, would make trading him relatively pointless.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
There's literally no chance Sarich could bring back a second round pick, or even a third or fourth for that matter. Not with his tumultuous play this season and more importantly, the extra year on his contract. And that's the reason why Staios might actually have some value at the deadline. He can step on to a new team as the 6th or 7th defensemen, adding defense depth plus providing veteran leadership and so on without the team having any obligations past this season. Vancouver is ideal example of a team that could find value in him what with their lofty cup aspirations and severe injuries on defense.

The only way the Flames could move Sarich right now would be by taking salary back which, of course, would make trading him relatively pointless.
I have to say I disagree with pretty much everything that you said in this post.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

That's OK, expressing different opinions is all part of the fun in a forum.

OP's proposal still blows though.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
That's OK, expressing different opinions is all part of the fun in a forum.

OP's proposal still blows though.
I have to say I agree with pretty much everything that you said in this post.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Hopkins to Hall

I'm curious as to what Flames fans expect for Glencross to get if signed to a new deal. He's playing great hockey right now and I haven't followed him all year so may be a bit biased in thinking he's worth 2.5+ mill per year. Thoughts?

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
abracanada

The thing about trade values and getting full value for certain player is that there is no specific amount of value for any player. Whatever you can get, that is the value in that moment. How much does the initiating team need a player like Sarich? The more they need that style of player, the more value Sarich has. There is no blue book on hockey players.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
I'm curious as to what Flames fans expect for Glencross to get if signed to a new deal. He's playing great hockey right now and I haven't followed him all year so may be a bit biased in thinking he's worth 2.5+ mill per year. Thoughts?
Max you pay for Glencross is 2.75, IMO. The one thing I don't like about him is his tendency to get hot and then start playing off his game because he thinks he raised his skill level, when really it's because he's already playing at his skill level and playing a simple game, no fancy passes.

Also not sure I love his personality in a locker room, seems to get dissatisfied way too easy. A really up and down player emotion-wise but not in a good way, IMO more selfish than anything.

He's a pretty good third liner though, most of the teams that have had them and traded them always mention Glencross and how well he did for their team.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
AfricanHerbsman

GlenX is playing amazing with olli right now. I really hope we resign him because olli doesnt seem to work with anyone else on our roster. Hes going to get 25 goals this year so he'll want that pay raise. I'd be down with paying him 2mil-2.75mil a seas.

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

You know someone is going to overpay him though. If Stajan gets 3.5, Hagman 3 and Bourque 3.3 Glencross will slot in that 10-11/3yr range. A similar player would be Colby Armstrong and I think Glencross is marginally better than Armstrong. He got 3yrs/9 million.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:44 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
You know someone is going to overpay him though. If Stajan gets 3.5, Hagman 3 and Bourque 3.3 Glencross will slot in that 10-11/3yr range. A similar player would be Colby Armstrong and I think Glencross is marginally better than Armstrong. He got 3yrs/9 million.
Two words, Brian Burke. although I do agree someone would offer him 3 million on the open market.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
I think the Flames should be trying to lock him up on a $2.5-ish million extension for 2-3 years, and I'd be okay with that dollar value & term.

If he won't sign an extension by the deadline, ship him out of town at the deadline for a 2nd round pick and be done with it. However, with the recent trades so far, I wouldn't be surprised if his stock rises throughout the day and he winds up landing more than that on deadline day

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Pacem

Do not trade. A second round pick in a mediocre draft at best is not worth losing a shot at the playoffs.

The only player we should look at moving at this point is Hagman. All he would fetch is an equally struggling winger as well. Something similiar to the Anton trade earlier this year. Wish Sutter was around to do that tradem. I just don't trust Feaster.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

Do NOT trade Glencross. Sign this guy up.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:38 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Do not trade. A second round pick in a mediocre draft at best is not worth losing a shot at the playoffs.

The only player we should look at moving at this point is Hagman. All he would fetch is an equally struggling winger as well. Something similiar to the Anton trade earlier this year. Wish Sutter was around to do that tradem. I just don't trust Feaster.
What has Feaster done to lose your trust?

Old
02-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
What has Feaster done to lose your trust?
What has he done to earn it?

Old
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Pacem

Awesome response Stewie.

Feaster has a bad track record with drafts and trades. He signed Richards to a maximum allowable contract. His only contract with he negotiated with the Flames was Ian White which was not a good contract that Sutter had to fix by trading him away.

Whites contract number was stupid (2.9999995M) and my thought is Sutter told him to sign White for less then 3m and that's the best Feaster could do.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Well if you want to look back on track records why don't you look back on Darryl's his last few months here. Don't think you could trust him anymore to make a trade at deadline. Feaster has also acknowledge the mistakes he made in the past and how it really screwed up Tampa cap wise, Sutter on the other hand would be shot dead before saying he made a mistake.

Old
02-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Meh, Sutter made some pretty shrewd moves this season too. Tanguay, Jackman & Morrison, to start.

Old
02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Meh, Sutter made some pretty shrewd moves this season too. Tanguay, Jackman & Morrison, to start.
don't forget his only trade this year... Kostoloulos and Babchuk have been great for us

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
What has he done to earn it?
Nothing.

And in some sense, that's a good thing.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote