HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL's BEST FOURTH LINE?

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 06:14 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
NHL's BEST FOURTH LINE? Torque LINE BABY!

Well our fourth last night dominated after the first period. Everytime they were on the ice something was happening. Torres WAS a buzzsaw out there and hit every opportunity. It was good to see Georges take the puck to the net too. I know this line won't dominate as often as we'd probably like, but there aren't many third lines that have the potential to win your team a game. SO IMO the Oilers have the best fourth line in the NHL. I can't think of anybody else who has as good a fourth line. That is probably one of the most intimidating lines with Georges. It's going to be very physical and energetic with Torres. And Horcoff has equal grit, speed, skill, and defensive awareness to make that line mesh..... Who would have a better fourth line? I think we'd be hard pressed to find one.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:23 AM
Mr Sakich

one of the keys to the game was the third period where mact put them on the pp. It kinda lit a fire under the team. What I like about the torque line is that it forces the other three lines to play well or watch.

Ice time is the biggest carrot the coach has.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
one of the keys to the game was the third period where mact put them on the pp. It kinda lit a fire under the team. What I like about the torque line is that it forces the other three lines to play well or watch.

Ice time is the biggest carrot the coach has.
The key to that line is how well Torres meshes with both guys.

He can bang it up along the boards with BG, finally giving him some quality help there...and he has the speed and agility to speed cycle with Horcoff and dart to holes for Horcoff to find him.

By his reputation, the offensive stats won't always be there but the effort almost always will, which will keep BG and Horcoff in the game mentally.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Oiltalk

The key to this line is Torres and Laraque creating room for Horcoff. If he can somehow score 20 goals on the 4th line this year(might be homerish lol) it would be amazing.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Are we calling them the Tourque line now, i like it.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:44 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I think our 4th line is great, but we should prolly wait a little more then 1 game to see what other teams can throw out. That being said. I do think our 4th line will dominate the boards and will cycle very well. I see them tiring a lot of teams out nearing the end of the game so am expecting the 3rd to be the Oilers period this year.

Given the fact that we really can roll mutiple scoring lines at a team, it does make it difficult to creat matchups for opposing coaches. Once San Jose started putting their checkers agains our 4rd line, it TOTALLY opened up the ice for our skilled 1st and 2nd lines... I think as long as we don't get into penalty trouble often and continue to roll 4 lines we will have some success this year.

Also I like Torque. great name...

Old
10-10-2003, 06:50 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

It'd be cool if we had a thing like the Philies Wolf Pack - and we could have a banner and fans who wear a buncha torques and are REALLLY REALLY LOUD - that sorta thing.....

Old
10-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
It'd be cool if we had a thing like the Philies Wolf Pack - and we could have a banner and fans who wear a buncha torques and are REALLLY REALLY LOUD - that sorta thing.....
wear a bunch of torques ?

Old
10-10-2003, 07:03 AM
kyle

Quote:
As a mechanical engineering student, I'm very intrigued to see some fans wearing torques. It may get too cold in the arena as they wear their torques. Some toques might be a nice idea to keep them warm.

Torque is a sweet name for the physics implications (force times distance) and the fact that it incorporates all of their names. It has my vote.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:03 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They are like Metal wrist bands and collars that are all twisted up and stuff - used to be worn by like all the Germans (Britons, Guals, etc.) in ancient times.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
As a mechanical engineering student, I'm very intrigued to see some fans wearing torques. It may get too cold in the arena as they wear their torques. Some toques might be a nice idea to keep them warm.

Torque is a sweet name for the physics implications (force times distance) and the fact that it incorporates all of their names. It has my vote.
lol, yes we could all pain F x D on our stomachs!! lol, hahahaha

Old
10-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I had a feeling Torres would one day pass Rita on the depth chart. As far as best fourth line, that designation went to the Red Wings last year with Deveraux, Avery, and Holmstrom. Avery's gone now, so yeah, Torres-Horcoff-Laraque looks pretty danged good to me, which is a shame. :mad: The Oilers always play the Avs hard.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Mizral

I think the Torque-line (I love the name!) will need to play more than 1 game, and against harder competition, to be called the best of anything, but that was a promising showing. I think Laraque's pass to Horcoff was a thing of beauty on Shawn's goal.

I'd give the Wings' Grind Line the 'best 4th line in the league' title, personally.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:54 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I think the Torque-line (I love the name!) will need to play more than 1 game, and against harder competition, to be called the best of anything, but that was a promising showing. I think Laraque's pass to Horcoff was a thing of beauty on Shawn's goal.

I'd give the Wings' Grind Line the 'best 4th line in the league' title, personally.
Isn't the grind line the third line?
Detroits 4th line - Nathan Robinson-Jiri Hudler-Tomas Holmstrom

Old
10-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

I am so pumped that all of you are digging the whole
"TORQUE" line!!!

That was just kind of an off the top of my head as i was writing my opinions of the game but i too think it just suits them so well.

One game might be a little premature in saying we have the best 4th line in pro hockey...but some would say it has been a lot more than one game minus the torres.

Even in the playoffs last year horcoff and laraque at times were two of the biggest forces on the ice and they played well whenever paired, now Raffi just brings another solid dimension to the line and yeah i think it is ONE of the better 4th lines around...that is if MacT leaves it alone!!!
Shouldn't rag on MacT though...the lines stayed rather consistent last night and in general it was a pretty well coached game in my opinion, so KUDOS to MacT and Co.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:27 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think that Torres will help Laraque a lot.

A lot of times, Laraque would fight with a guy and work his way out in front of the net and nothing...

Now with Torres, not only do you have a guy who can crash in fast on the forecheck, you have a guy with not only strength on the cycle, but is a decent passer and can find the back of the net.

Add horcoff to the mix, and you have Laraque and Torres who will cause a crap storm for the guys down low, and Horcoff cruising the front of the net, or scooping up loose pucks.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:29 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
The key to this line is Torres and Laraque creating room for Horcoff. If he can somehow score 20 goals on the 4th line this year(might be homerish lol) it would be amazing.
Horcoff was 4th last night for Oiler forwards in terms of time on ice. He was being used on the PK and PP and he did a good job. Strangely enough, this can keep both Horcoff supporters and Horcoff detractors happy. For the supporters, he'll have top-6 TOI and linemates that click and get played the occasional quality minutes. For the detractors that don't see him as a bona fide 2nd line centre, he's on the 4th line and all is well.

If this part of the experiment continues to pan out, I whole-heartedly endorse keeping Horcoff on the 4th line the whole season. And, truthfully, I think MacTavish will think so too.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle
I am so pumped that all of you are digging the whole
"TORQUE" line!!!
As a TORres and laraQUE combination, its equal part great combination and great connotation. With Horcoff in the mix, one could also, I suppose, name them the TORQUEOFF line.

As in: you think you're gonna win? Well TORQUEOFF!

It would be nice to have the best line of something, even if its the fourth line. However I'd still much rather have the 5th best 1st line in hockey. At any rate, its a pretty good bet that if that line continues to play well, they'll get quite a bit of ice when at home: talk about a crowd pleaser.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:38 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
As a TORres and laraQUE combination, its equal part great combination and great connotation. With Horcoff in the mix, one could also, I suppose, name them the TORQUEOFF line.

As in: you think you're gonna win? Well TORQUEOFF!

It would be nice to have the best line of something, even if its the fourth line. However I'd still much rather have the 5th best 1st line in hockey. At any rate, its a pretty good bet that if that line continues to play well, they'll get quite a bit of ice when at home: talk about a crowd pleaser.

I saw it more as a Torres - hORcoff - laraQUE.. I think it fits well just like that. Good call SaloStyle

Old
10-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Isn't the grind line the third line?
Detroits 4th line - Nathan Robinson-Jiri Hudler-Tomas Holmstrom

You may be right. The Wings depth at forward sure has taken a hit though, eh?

Old
10-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Actually, they're the 3rd line. This year's 4th line for the Wings is Deveraux-Hudler-Yzerman, with Williams occoasionally rotated in. Stevie Y is still a little sore in that knee so the coach has him there with occasional shifts on one of the scoring lines.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:32 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I saw it more as a Torres - hORcoff - laraQUE.. I think it fits well just like that. Good call SaloStyle
Yeah, that's good too.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:22 PM
creative giant*

Don't the flyers have leclair, recchi, and radovan somik on their fourth line? If that is the case I'd have to give the honour to them, even though leclair is in a slump

Old
10-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Oi'll say!

The torque line and the rpm line will be in the garage tomorrow tuning the Canucks!

Now we need to come up with engine/vehicle related nicknames for the first two lines...

C'mon Salostyle, we only have twenty hours 'til gametime!

Chimera York Hemsky
Izzy Smyth Dvo

Hmmmm...

Old
10-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Horcoff was 4th last night for Oiler forwards in terms of time on ice. He was being used on the PK and PP and he did a good job. Strangely enough, this can keep both Horcoff supporters and Horcoff detractors happy. For the supporters, he'll have top-6 TOI and linemates that click and get played the occasional quality minutes. For the detractors that don't see him as a bona fide 2nd line centre, he's on the 4th line and all is well.
Personally, I've don't think I've had a good or bad opinion about Horcoff during his development as an Oiler. What struck me last night was how poised he seemed to be all the time, he looked like he easily belonged in the NHL. After the playoffs and the world championships, I'm starting to think there might be more to this guy then I suspected.

The reality is he will probably never be much more than a solid 3rd liner, borderline 2nd liner, but even if that is the case, the Oilers did pretty well to draft him where they did.

Closed Thread