HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kreider on Turning Pro, Tortorella, and the Beanpot

Old
02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Torts can think that he's ready to play and then just as easily send him down to the minors and watch him rot down there. Torts thought Del Zotto could make an impact too.
Playing in the AHL isn't a bad thing at all and it isn't sentencing someone to rot.

It's a better league than any of the NCAA leagues, it would teach him how to play against professionals, deal with a pro schedule, play within and against pro systems (basically how to be a professional and not just a college player).

College doesn't magically make Kreider 100% ready to go for the NHL even if he spends all 4 years there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
The kid has dominated at the last two WJC's against the world's elite
No he hasn't. He has played very well and showed promise but he really didn't dominate. He would have had a ton of points if he dominated.

Quote:
Three left wings are probably gone next season -- Frolov, Fedotenko and Prospal...with Avery a possibility.
Yes but the LW depth chart still includes Wolski, Dubinsky, Zucarello, etc.

Quote:
I don't care if he goes to the AHL. He won't be there long. But I as much as it pains me to root for B.C., I pray they win another title.
Kind of doubt it'll make a huge impact...he already won a title with them. Sure another one is great but it's not like he's realistically going to feel like there's serious unfinished business if BC doesn't win again this year.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Don't watch any BC hockey , but I stat watch and watched all WJC games . Cam Atkinson by what I read seems to be the focal point of the team as scoring and is putting up more dominant numbers . From what I saw if WJC CK is in the screen the goalie in the slot role on PP , does PK . He has been a dominant player in big games which seems to me that he has the ability to elevate his game and really focus . He has 16 points and almost 20 shots less on goal than Atkinson . He is shooting not scoring as much but my guess playing more of a shutdown role . I see his developing into a very similar player to Dubinsky with more flat out speed . I would love to see Dubi back at center with Ck on left and Gaby on the right as soon as possible and just let Kreider play North south hockey and go to the net . If asap is after a half or full season of AHl then so be it . I would like to see him turn pro and play more games than a college season
That is not his game AT ALL. That's why he was so mediocre in the WJCs. It was one of the most idiotic coaching decisions I have ever seen.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That is not his game AT ALL. That's why he was so mediocre in the WJCs. It was one of the most idiotic coaching decisions I have ever seen.
I think the logic behind that was, if there were any rebounds, he'd be able to bury the puck with his wrister, which is pretty damn good. I didn't like it either though.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I think the logic behind that was, if there were any rebounds, he'd be able to bury the puck with his wrister, which is pretty damn good. I didn't like it either though.
The only real logic was that he's a big body, frankly.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
i know thats why i posted this , and I think from the looks of the goals he scored in Beanpot , one in the high slot and the other with the power move from the half boards that would be a better utilization of his talents . Perhaps this is one of the reasons he hasnt had massive numbers at BC as well , the coaches are asking him to play a certain way , yet in big games Bean Pot final NCAA final , WJC Bronze game they look to him to be the go to guy and he elevates his game

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

If you ask me, if he goes pro, he immediately becomes our best LW
yea that dubinsky guy sucks....

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
i know thats why i posted this , and I think from the looks of the goals he scored in Beanpot , one in the high slot and the other with the power move from the half boards that would be a better utilization of his talents . Perhaps this is one of the reasons he hasnt had massive numbers at BC as well , the coaches are asking him to play a certain way , yet in big games Bean Pot final NCAA final , WJC Bronze game they look to him to be the go to guy and he elevates his game
While I can't say if this is true or not because I don't watch BC play, there may be truth to that. All of Kreider's beanpot goals have been nasty, imo, and people have said that seniority is very important over at BC, but they might put that aside to win the pot.

Who knows.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Kreider needs another year in College. But Sather wants him bad. I say don't rush him or you can have another MDZ on your hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I agree, College or the A are fine with me, no reason to promise this kid a lineup spot on the Rangers to get him to turn pro though, nothing wrong with a little more seasoning against better competition.
He was a +5 with a goal and 2 assists in his first 10 games after having his 2nd fantastic camp. He was sent back to Jrs after having his first fantastic camp. He made a huge case for himself last year and he ended up being 5th on the team in scoring. This year he's having a sophomore slump and a terrible one at that. Players are prone to season lone slumps, check out Marion Gaborik. The Rangers are handling it appropriately and this is nothing unusual. It's unusual to us, because we're not used to seeing an organization develop players, normally they're traded away at this point for age old veterans.

Be glad he wasn't drafted 3rd overall and the team is so disappointed they looking to trade him like Atlanta and Zach Bogosian. Atlanta is handling it wrong.

Be glad the Rangers haven't signed him to a 3 year 9million dollar contract because the GM fouled up. Minnesota fans want to see Cam Barker traded, mistake IMO.

Buffalo has taken their time with Tyler Myers all season as he's been mired in a terrible slump and seems to be finally getting out of it.

Roll back the clock and look at Jack Johnson.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:14 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Pretty sure Dubinsky has that locked up, short of a blockbuster trade.
Dubinsky's a natural center and is playing on the wing because of Torts.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No he hasn't. He has played very well and showed promise but he really didn't dominate. He would have had a ton of points if he dominated.

10 goals in 13 WJC Games.

He's a goal scorer, in case you were wondering.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Dubinsky's a natural center and is playing on the wing because of Torts.
He's looked a ton better playing LW than C. I'd bed that LW is now his permanent position.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
He's looked a ton better playing LW than C. I'd bed that LW is now his permanent position.
Wrong.

Just two games ago, Dubinsky was centering Gaborik and Avery. Torts even has Stepan playing wing -- STEPAN!!!

When he kills penalties and is on the PP, Dubinsky plays center.

He's taken 527 faceoffs this season -- 260 at even strength.

I would say his points are split between center and wing.

But that's not the point. The point is that Dubinsky is not a natural winger. He was put there because Torts can never commit himself to his lines he made up in the first place.

Kreider is a natural goal scorer and power forward. He has Mike Gartner upside and 1st line potential. I just dont see Dubinsky playing on the wing, especially when Kreider is NHL ready.

One day, when this organization gets a real coach with tatical know-how and patience, he'll realize Dubisnky is far and away the organization's best center, and he'll stay there.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Wrong.

Just two games ago, Dubinsky was centering Gaborik and Avery. Torts even has Stepan playing wing -- STEPAN!!!

But that's not the point. The point is that Dubinsky is not a natural winger. He was put there because Torts can never commit himself to his lines he made up in the first place.

Kreider is a natural goal scorer and power forward. He has Mike Gartner upside and 1st line potential. I just dont see Dubinsky playing on the wing, especially when Kreider is NHL ready.

One day, when this organization gets a real coach with tatical know-how and patience, he'll realize Dubisnky is far and away the organization's best center, and he'll stay there.
At even strength, Dubi played LW more than C this year. He has also looked better playing LW. <----- Reiterated because 2 games does not change this.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:52 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Wrong.

Dubinsky has taken so many even strength faceoffs because we are terrible on faceoffs and Dubinsky is one of our better guys on the draw. A lot of those faceoffs, he was on a line with another center (Anisimov, Stepan, etc.) who he switched with after taking the draw. For most purposes, he is now a LW.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:14 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Dubinsky has taken so many even strength faceoffs because we are terrible on faceoffs and Dubinsky is one of our better guys on the draw. A lot of those faceoffs, he was on a line with another center (Anisimov, Stepan, etc.) who he switched with after taking the draw. For most purposes, he is now a LW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
At even strength, Dubi played LW more than C this year. He has also looked better playing LW. <----- Reiterated because 2 games does not change this.

You both bring up a significant problem in theory. Have a guy take a draw, only to have him immediately switch to wing can have disastrous consequences -- both long term and short term.

Dubinsky has been habitually repremanded by Torts for playing out of position in the defensive end at even strength -- mainly for thinking he's a center when he's positionally supposed to play and cover the wing. Stepan is going through this as well ever since the genius behind the bench started moving him around

While I wont deny Dubi's strong offensive play on the wing, I still see him as a center. Same with Stepan. When you have super snipers like Kreider and Thomas waiting in the wings, it would behoove Torts (or hopefully somebody else) to keep the centers in their natural positions