HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

How would you feel if Brown was traded?

Old
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Kingurentai

vCash: 500
Totally speculating but...

Maybe Brown's confidence is down lately because he thinks he may be on the trading block (could very well be)?

Anyway, doesn't matter, point is I agree with the majority assessment on this thread of Brown (good player thrust into wrong role). But I think both he and the Kings need a change and it's time to move on - at the end of this season, not now. Kings have a few guys who can fill his role, and Brown can fetch us a high return.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Brown for Neal...

The hard part with Brown is that we have Clifford, Simmonds, Toffoli(sp) thats 4 good right wingers. Where do ya put Brown. Do ya move him for a good LW?
You put Brown ahead of all of them because none of them have proven they can be the players Brown is.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Maybe Brown's confidence is down lately because he thinks he may be on the trading block (could very well be)?

Anyway, doesn't matter, point is I agree with the majority assessment on this thread of Brown (good player thrust into wrong role). But I think both he and the Kings need a change and it's time to move on - at the end of this season, not now. Kings have a few guys who can fill his role, and Brown can fetch us a high return.
Such as?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
No, Tony, the problem is that there is a whole lot of people who are willing to overlook reality in the face of fandom and want to see things that are not happening.... Take it or leave it.
Maybe it's your filter. Don't recall any positive comments from you, do you see any good in this player or do you only pay attention to critical review of your version of faults? I see a lot of games and I see a lot of players, big name players, screwing up and slacking off now and again, doing stupid things - it is, after all, basically an improvised sport played in the moment and in flow.

I just don't see Brown as the epitome of an awful heartless player who should be permanently blasted by a Kings fan. Watching and comparing him to other power forwards, I just don't get that. Your description(s) of his supposed many faults don't match what happens on the ice and in games.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Maybe it's your filter. Don't recall any positive comments from you, do you see any good in this player or do you only pay attention to critical review of your version of faults? I see a lot of games and I see a lot of players, big name players, screwing up and slacking off now and again, doing stupid things - it is, after all, basically an improvised sport played in the moment and in flow.

I just don't see Brown as the epitome of an awful heartless player who should be permanently blasted by a Kings fan. Watching and comparing him to other power forwards, I just don't get that. Your description(s) of his supposed many faults don't match what happens on the ice and in games.
You're set to a higher standard when you're in a leadership role

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
You put Brown ahead of all of them because none of them have proven they can be the players Brown is.
The past 25 games Brown can't even prove the player Brown is.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Defgarden

I understand some of the Brown hate, but I think some people do take it really far. He flubs up passes a lot, does that toe drag and fails quite often, and sometimes goes way out of his way to make a hit with little impact. But, he does score a good amount of goals, isn't terrible defensively (certainly not the biggest liability out there), and when he's on his game just barreling through people along the boards with the puck, he's an allstar calibur player.

He's got a great cap hit though.

You gotta ask yourself though, are the Kings a better team with or without Brown? I think, for most scenarios, they are better.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:54 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I understand some of the Brown hate, but I think some people do take it really far. He flubs up passes a lot, does that toe drag and fails quite often, and sometimes goes way out of his way to make a hit with little impact. But, he does score a good amount of goals, isn't terrible defensively (certainly not the biggest liability out there), and when he's on his game just barreling through people along the boards with the puck, he's an allstar calibur player.

He's got a great cap hit though.

You gotta ask yourself though, are the Kings a better team with or without Brown? I think, for most scenarios, they are better.
Don't get me wrong. I don't hate him or anything. I just don't think he's top 6 or captain material. Like I said...he is a high end 3rd liner who could bring scoring to an energy line.

I don't think he's untouchable when it comes to a trade.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I don't hate him or anything. I just don't think he's top 6 or captain material. Like I said...he is a high end 3rd liner who could bring scoring to an energy line.

I don't think he's untouchable when it comes to a trade.
The captaincy issue can certainly be argued. I don't have any idea how it impacts him mentally or anything, but beyond that I don't think the captaincy is really a huge deal. Let the players vote on that, or have management decide, I'm not sure it has all that much impact, but who knows.

I see Brown as being generally a 2nd line guy. He'd probably be on most teams 2nd line for sure. I mean, other than faceoffs, is he any less skilled than Stoll?

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post

My filter? You joined, or maybe rejoined this board less than a year ago.

And I stand firm on this - nobody on this team makes as many boneheaded plays as Brown. It would be one thing if he learned from them, but tonight was a prime example - yet another blind pass to no one at the point to clear the zone on the PP. That's been happening at least once a game for a week now. NOBODY else on this team does that - sure you might get a pass deflected now and then, but these are unforced, stupid decisions that happen over and over again.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... First off, goals and assists mean something. Second, nobody on the team gives consistent effort every single game - every player out there has had a game or a string of shifts where he wasn't doing what he is capable of. Third, Brown is one of the best forecheckers on the team, if not THE best. Say what you will about the "hits" statistic, but the fact of the matter is that if Brown was not physical, he wouldn't have a high total of hits.

He was playing out of place on the first line; that was obvious, wasn't it??? Just because the man has a C on his sweater doesn't mean he's automatically going to become an All-Star player in every facet of the game. He was put in a role that was too much for his talent to handle, but he handled it pretty well for quite a while. He still takes the body as often as anyone else on the team. He draws more penalties and gets more opponents off of their games than anyone else on the team. He has been this same player for a number of years now, except in recent years he's become more disciplined and taken fewer penalties, which has helped his team even more. His 5 on 5 numbers are very solid, when taking into account the level of opposition he's faced. He has his obvious flaws - but to constantly beat this tired drum of "the numbers don't matter because they don't agree with my opinion" and "watch the games" when there are plenty of people here who watch nearly every minute of every game, yet feel that Brown is still a valuable player despite this recent slump - at what point does the drum simply lose its sound?

Of course goals matter, but its the play away from the puck that makes the difference. Take Justin Williams - his stat lines echo Dustin Brown's, but there is no way in hell any rational Kings fan could say that the two are equally effective based solely on stat lines.

And I completely disagree with you in regards to his status as a forechecker. How often do you see him get in deep and cause turnovers or pressure the defense into poor decisions? Not often, and certainly not as often as Simmonds, Stoll, Smyth, Williams and now even Loktionov. Hell, for the most part Brown is left out as the F3 in Murrays forechecking system so he doesn't even get much of a chance to be the first or second man in.

And you know the old message board trap - say something once, get five people to disagree with varied responses, and suddenly you have five different responses to make so it seems like that you are beating a dead horse. I stand by my comments - I may have made my mind up conclusively, and I can see how that ay irritate some, but the points I make are always on par with the game action.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Bottom line is Brown will not be traded any time soon.

Brown is a favorite of many Kings fans and has gained the attention of other fans in the league for his style of play. Lombardi loves him and his teammates like him.

I thought it odd when he was named captain and I still do.

Honestly, it just takes watching his game closely without the Kings colored glasses on to see how truly pedestrian he is.

He does come up with a play here and there that shows he has some tools, but like Bland points out and has always done, Brown kills so many more chances and momentum with glaring low IQ plays.

Brown is just an average player who could be great with a little more intelligence.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
He's getting worse.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn there's some kind of off ice issue because he's been playing like utter crapahoola and it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
He's actually on pace to finish with a plus rating for the first time in his career. His shot totals are down but his points are almost identical to last year. He's a streaky, 2nd line right winger who does not have the hands of a sniper, he hits and he has a home town discount contract. If there was a player like Mark Messier or Rod Brindamour I'd love for a guy like that to be brought in and remove the C from Brown. In today's NHL and with Lombardi the GM Brown may be the captain for a very long time.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
He's getting worse.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn there's some kind of off ice issue because he's been playing like utter crapahoola and it just keeps getting worse and worse.
He looks lost, almost as if we are watching some minor league journeyman who is trying to find his way into the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He looks lost, almost as if we are watching some minor league journeyman who is trying to find his way into the NHL.
I'm sure this is just confirmation bias in effect...

but it seems to me that almost once a game there will be some minor dust up or face wash given to a King.... and you'll ALWAYS see Brown skating away from it with a completely dazed and unaware look on his face. Almost like he's trying to pretend that there's nothing happening right behind him so he doesn't have to get involved.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Bandit

Quote:

but it seems to me that almost once a game there will be some minor dust up or face wash given to a King.... and you'll ALWAYS see Brown skating away from it with a completely dazed and unaware look on his face. Almost like he's trying to pretend that there's nothing happening right behind him so he doesn't have to get involved.
That's been going on for 3 years.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

You mean this look?

I'm perturbed how some claim that Brown is a player who leads by example. I'd like to know exactly what he exemplifies other than being a super nice guy.

Old
02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
His 2011 stats have been awful.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Happened tonight against Columbus. It was Lewis who got the face wash by...what the hell was the Blue Jacket player...can't remember, ugly as all hell though...anyway, Brown was right there and he skated away.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Jungle Boy

lot of you guys said depends if the trade is right. Would you agree with any of thoses?

Flyers
Brown for Carter

Devils
Brown + Voynov + 1st rd pick
for Parise

Flames
Brown + Voynov
for Iginla

rangers
Brown for Gaborik

Maple Leafs
Brown for Kessel

Sabres
Brown for Vanek

Islanders
Brown + Voynov for Okposo + Niderreiter

Blue Jackets
Brown + Schenn + Voynov + 1st rd pick for Nash

Stars

Brown + Voynov + Hickey + 1st rd pick for Eriksson

just to know what´s the right package

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
His 2011 stats have been awful.
Two goals and four assists in 20 games. Leading by example.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Am I the only guy in this forum that doesn't want to trade for Parise in light of his very serious knee injury and surgery?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Am I the only guy in this forum that doesn't want to trade for Parise in light of his very serious knee injury and surgery?
Dean loves knee injuries.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Jetteroheller

Great....

If its part of a package for Nash. NO question here.

Maybe straight up for Gaborik.

Possibly in a package for Eriksson.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote