HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stephen Weiss value???

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2005, 01:19 AM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss value???

What is his value? With the Panthers having the following young guns all listed as centers:Nathan Horton, Rostislav Olesz, Dany Roussin, Kamil Kreps,Vaclav Nedorost
and adding Matt Cullen..is there room for Weiss to be traded? Plus, isn't Keenan NOT fond of him as well? Just curious because I think he would look nice on the Flames roster.

Old
07-18-2005, 01:27 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
What is his value? With the Panthers having the following young guns all listed as centers:Nathan Horton, Rostislav Olesz, Dany Roussin, Kamil Kreps,Vaclav Nedorost
and adding Matt Cullen..is there room for Weiss to be traded? Plus, isn't Keenan NOT fond of him as well? Just curious because I think he would look nice on the Flames roster.
Weiss is of huge value to Florida. Hes a very responsable player and plays well defensively. Horton is going to be a winger, Olesz will most likely be a winger in the NHL although I do think he'd be better off as a center, Roussin will be a winger IF he ever makes it, Nedorost is a winger in FLA, and Kreps, idk. Cullen is on Carolina.

Weiss seems to finally be emerging as a talented 2nd line center and Keenan and Weiss don't have bad blood as far as I know. Weiss was not ready for the NHL then though when Keenan was in FLorida. Cohen loves Weiss, in fact, check out the panthers board right now and you'll see why.
Weiss seems like he can put up 60+ points a season, he was doing fantastic until he got hurt and was out the rest of the season.

Old
07-18-2005, 01:28 AM
HuskyFlames

That is a fair judgement. It will be interesting to see how Martin uses the young players and which spots he uses them in. I also forget to add Jokinen as a center...just seems to me that Flordia has too many young "potential" centers and will have no top 2 room to play them all in.

Old
07-18-2005, 01:38 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Stephen's better than all those guys you mentioned except Nathan Horton, and NT will be used as a winger anyhow.

Florida's in great shape with Olesz, Weiss, Horton, Stewart, etc... no need to jump the gun now.

Old
07-18-2005, 02:26 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Personally, I think Weiss is likely trade bait. There were several reports that the Cats offered him around the league last year.

He is a very strong prospect, but I fear that he won't develop properly in Florida.

I guess we'll see.

Old
07-18-2005, 03:10 AM
DJ Spinoza

IF they are going to trade him, it won't be for a little while if they are smart. Weiss is semi-developed as is, and at least is farther along than many of the prospects in the pipeline. More of a sure thing at thsi stage, if you will. And I don't know if it's wise to move that without some assurance that you can replace him.

Eventually the Panthers may be able to trade from a strength of talented forwards, but not quite yet.

That said, I'd love to see the Pens somehow get Weiss. He's one of my favorite young guys in the league.

Old
07-18-2005, 06:39 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
remember

Weiss was one of the reasons Keenen got fired last time

so mad mike part 2 may send him somewhere for a 27 year vetren

Old
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

The new CBA is a variable here. The Isles very stupid strategy of dealing youth for vets had some logic back then (a twisted logic, but logic nonetheless). It would make a lot less sense to do that now, with 27 being the eventual UFA age.

Old
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
jjmcgo

He didn't shine in the Calder Cup Finals playing against Carter, Richards and Umberger.

Old
07-19-2005, 03:57 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Not only did he not shine, he disapeared in the playoffs for my Wolves.

Old
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Just my opinion, but if Weiss is in Keenan's Chateau Bow-Wow, some team would be smart to jump on the opportunity to acquire him. Still young, unfinished, relatively inexpensive and a lot of talent.

Question for those who follow Florida more closer than I do: is Weiss really on the outs or is this just another case of Keenan putting the hammer to a younger player, testing his fortitude, as he did, for example, with a young Kovalev in NY, circa '94?

Last edited by Trottier: 07-19-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old
07-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Just my opinion, but if Weiss is in Keenan's Chateau Bow-Wow, some team would be smart to jump on the opportunity to acquire him. Still young, unfinished, relatively inexpensive and a lot of talent.

Question for those who follow Florida more closelt than I: is Weiss really on the outs or is this just another case of Keenan putting the hammer ot a younger player, testing his fortitude, as he did, for example, with a young Kovalev in NY, circa '94.
The latter, but there was a conflict of interest that arose as Weiss was livin at the owner's house to be a playfriend/mantel piece for the owner's son to his high school friends. That caused problems between in the lockerroom in general and in the front office at the time. For further info, or maybe just a good laugh, read this thread.

Old
07-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Question for those who follow Florida more closer than I do: is Weiss really on the outs or is this just another case of Keenan putting the hammer to a younger player, testing his fortitude, as he did, for example, with a young Kovalev in NY, circa '94?
The issue with Weiss & Keenan was probably more putting the hammer to him than being on the outs. As Clash pointed out, even if Weiss was on the outs so to speak with Keenan, he would be unlikely to be traded due to the connection to the owner's son.

And to the 2 people that said he disappeared in the Calder Cup finals, it wasn't well known but apparently he was fighting an injury or sickness that affect him through much of the playoffs.

Old
07-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcgo
He didn't shine in the Calder Cup Finals playing against Carter, Richards and Umberger.
True, but aside from Lehtonen, who did shine for the Wolves against Philly?

Old
07-19-2005, 09:52 PM
PanthersRule96

Weiss is a better player now I'm sure because of the toughness Keenan had towards him. He's stronger mentally and his game is all mental, plus he's getting stronger physically and actually played moderately physical last season.

Old
07-20-2005, 12:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
True, but aside from Lehtonen, who did shine for the Wolves against Philly?
Brad Larsen and Steve Maltais.

Closed Thread