HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Blue Jackets - 02/16/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Bandit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Um, Kelly Hrudy says hi
We can't hear him due to the 747 screaming between his legs. Seriously the guy was not very good.

Disappointed that they gave up the point to the jackets but we're two points out of first with a game in hand. The last month of the season is gonna be crazy.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings have now earned 18 out of a possible 20 points in their last 10 games. Wow.
And the more amazing thing is that they are still out of the playoff spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
$50,000, money well spent by Dean.
Seriously.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Yeah but if Phoenix and San Jose lose tomorrow and the Kings win they can jump from 9th to 3rd. Crazy insane, insane crazy.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:00 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
2-10-0 prior to that!

Although as of tonight they have completely wiped out all of those prior losses, and are back to 10 games over .500, which matches their season high.

Now the HUGE test - every other time this season they've hit this peak, they've plummeted. We'll see if they can keep it rolling.

I did see that bad, bad habit of tit-for-tat goals creep back into their game tonight, which is not a good sign.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:02 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

So, I thought we looked pretty good then, eh?

Nice job boys.

No go into the worst big city on earth and beat the rags.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
So, I thought we looked pretty good then, eh?

Nice job boys.

No go into the worst big city on earth and beat the rags.
Worst big city on earth is Lagos, Nigeria.

But New York is a close second.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have only been to South Africa and it was years ago but based on what I saw I can absolutely believe that Lagos Nigeria could be the worst place or city on earth.

Maybe I should amend my statement to be New York is the worst city in North America. Panama imo is the worst by a long shot in South America, hot, crime riddled, filthy. Its like a giant version of Tijuana, think outdoor toilet and you'll get the picture.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have only been to South Africa and it was years ago but based on what I saw I can absolutely believe that Lagos Nigeria could be the worst place or city on earth.

Maybe I should amend my statement to be New York is the worst city in North America. Panama imo is the worst by a long shot in South America, hot, crime riddled, filthy. Its like a giant version of Tijuana, think outdoor toilet and you'll get the picture.
There are a lot of horrendous places on earth and these do tend to make you appreciate LA all the more. I have been to several cities in West Africa for example, a couple of them were relatively friendly but mostly you are very glad to get out of them unscathed. Lagos in particular is vast but also horrendously crowded with multiple millions of people, and is basically built on crime.

Now as for New York, New York is horrible - filthy, depressing, loud, inhospitable, suffocating, no elbow room - and has America's most irritating sports fans.

No matter what sport it is, I always enjoy it immensely when LA beats NY and so I am really, I mean really looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:25 AM
SFKingshomer

Not the best showing but we got the 2 pts. Loktionov is making is difficult but I still believe he will be sent down once Sturm and or Parse return.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Not the best showing but we got the 2 pts. Loktionov is making is difficult but I still believe he will be sent down once Sturm and or Parse return.
Unfortunately, this is probably true. But if it does happen, don't expect us to make the playoffs. Loktionov has been one of our best and most consistent forwards since his last call-up.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:32 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Why does Loktionov spend more time in the offensive zone slot than Kopitar?

5-10 versus 6-3, Kopitar should be playing more like Nash does. Nash is hungry every single shift.
Notice how all that is on Nash's mind when he enters the offensive zone is carrying the puck to the middle?

Kopitar has all the tools Nash has, he just lacks the will, or the confidence in his ability, or something. Whatever is missing he better find it PDQ.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:40 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
There are a lot of horrendous places on earth and these do tend to make you appreciate LA all the more. I have been to several cities in West Africa for example, a couple of them were relatively friendly but mostly you are very glad to get out of them unscathed. Lagos in particular is vast but also horrendously crowded with multiple millions of people, and is basically built on crime.

Now as for New York, New York is horrible - filthy, depressing, loud, inhospitable, suffocating, no elbow room - and has America's most irritating sports fans.

No matter what sport it is, I always enjoy it immensely when LA beats NY and so I am really, I mean really looking forward to tomorrow's game.
you have never been to red sox-angel games then hey,obviously the most obnoxious fans on earth,thought that would have changed when they finally one a championship but it just made them worse............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................but that just one yankee fans opinion

Old
02-17-2011, 12:52 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaturday View Post
As for Quick, he is hands down better than Hrudey ever was and is the best goaltender I have ever seen for the Kings since I started watching in '89.
... Yeah, this is hilarious. I don't know what makes people underrate Hrudey so much, maybe they didn't care that he kept the puck out and focused on his style of keeping it out - like he wasn't pretty enough of a goalie for them? If Quick played behind the "defense" of the 1988-96 Kings, he'd probably have to be a flopping mess, too.

Quick had a bad season in 09-10, but he's on his way now to being top 10 in save percentage for the first time. That's pretty cool. Hrudey was top 10 six times, three times with the Kings. Hrudey was top 5 three times as well.

Quick has two playoff victories, so he's currently 24 behind Hrudey in Kings' history. Quick might be able to accomplish what Hrudey has - when he grows up - but he's nowhere near the best in franchise history. If you go off of regular season play, Vachon's number one. If you go by playoff performance, Hrudey's number one. If Quick keeps this up, he will have completed his first good full season. That's a nice start, but that's all it is - a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Bernier's playing tmrw according to Hammond
... As it should be. It's nice to see that Murray is doing it right, at long last.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Vic Vinegar

Who cares if Quick is better than Hrudey? There's no way to prove it, and either way, it's irrelevant. What matters is he's better than all of the Kings' recent goalies and, more importantly, he's better than ~25 of the current starters around the league.

Old
02-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

How was Simmonds?

Old
02-17-2011, 01:39 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
How was Simmonds?
The Kopitar line was a non-factor tonight. Some up and down grinding, but no serious chances.

Old
02-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
Quick had a bad season in 09-10...
That's overstating it a bit, don't you think? Yes he had a subpar end of the season but for most of the season, he was lights-out just like he is now, and of course set the all-time club record for wins in a season.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:02 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
The Kopitar line was a non-factor tonight. Some up and down grinding, but no serious chances.
Outside of the goal...

Old
02-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Outside of the goal...
ha ha. Beat me to it.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
That's overstating it a bit, don't you think? Yes he had a subpar end of the season but for most of the season, he was lights-out just like he is now, and of course set the all-time club record for wins in a season.
Exactly....he fell apart at the end of the season because he played too much and got tired.

Does anyone remember how many games Ersberg played last year? How many has Bernier played this year? TM can't afford to make the same mistake this year, especially since all of our last games are against division rivals.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:37 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
... Nope, it's not overstating it at all. Through the first two months of the season, Quick had a save percentage of under .900, but he was winning games because the team got off to a blazing start offensively. In December and January, he started to pick things up - but once February started, the toll of starting nearly every game was getting to him, and he limped home with a .903 save percentage from February to April. Obviously, Quick wasn't very impressive in the playoffs. He played well in games 1 and 2, and struggled painfully thereafter.

Pre All-Star break, Quick's save percentage was .907. After it, it was .904. Neither figure was close to the league average (.912). At home, Quick's save percentage was .899. His win total came almost completely from playing behind a good team for 72 games.

For comparison's sake, Quick's save percentage for this season is .923.

Last season, Quick had a .910 save percentage or better in just 34 of his 72 starts (47.2%). This season, he's done that 25 times in 42 starts (59.5%).

If you want to ratchet up the bar to .920 or higher, last season Quick did that 29 times in 72 starts (40.2%). This season, it's 22 out of 42 starts (52.4%).

It's a huge difference.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Just thankful to be winning right now.

In respect to who is the better goalie, we can't really say regarding Hrudey V Quick. The 90's team played with more offensive tempo and the latter plays more defense.

Just keep on rollin boyz. Next up..Rangers.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Nope, it's not overstating it at all. Through the first two months of the season, Quick had a save percentage of under .900, but he was winning games because the team got off to a blazing start offensively. In December and January, he started to pick things up - but once February started, the toll of starting nearly every game was getting to him, and he limped home with a .903 save percentage from February to April. Obviously, Quick wasn't very impressive in the playoffs. He played well in games 1 and 2, and struggled painfully thereafter.

Pre All-Star break, Quick's save percentage was .907. After it, it was .904. Neither figure was close to the league average (.912). At home, Quick's save percentage was .899. His win total came almost completely from playing behind a good team for 72 games.

For comparison's sake, Quick's save percentage for this season is .923.

Last season, Quick had a .910 save percentage or better in just 34 of his 72 starts (47.2%). This season, he's done that 25 times in 42 starts (59.5%).

If you want to ratchet up the bar to .920 or higher, last season Quick did that 29 times in 72 starts (40.2%). This season, it's 22 out of 42 starts (52.4%).

It's a huge difference.
I'm not sold. Crunch numbers all you want, I'd rather watch the player and see how he handles himself on the ice. I do not agree with the characterization of the entire season as "bad".

In fact it was remarkably good for a guy who after all was playing his first full season as an NHL #1 and still was relied on more heavily than anyone in the league not named Luongo or Brodeur.

First of all he was good enough to go to the Olympics, and he did earn that spot. It was not a fluke. He beat out Craig Anderson during what is likely to be the best season of Anderson's career.

Sure, Quick had room to get better as we watched him in that first full season in 09-10. But there are reasons why he has won the devotion of so many Kings fans and those reasons don't all come from just this season.

I have always marveled from his very first game as a King at his remarkable flexibility, body control, and amazing quickness from post to post. He had these skills intact last season. Certainly he has improved in some areas this season such as his ability to handle high shots and his tenacity at fighting to see the puck in traffic.

He has always had the temperament of a hard-working pro as well as the combination of serious demeanor and talent that gives confidence to teammates. He had all that last season too. These were not last year, and are not now, the qualities of a "bad" goaltender.

I have always been a Bernier fan but it was easy to see why Quick was the assumed #1 going into training camp. Anyone who was paying attention last year could see that Jonathan Quick, if properly handled by the coaches, is the kind of guy you go to war with.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:24 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

The ultimate point, of course, is that a goaltender who plays 72 out of 82 games for a team that winds up with a 100-point-plus season, stealing a number of those points by himself, and who backstops that team's run to its first playoff spot in nearly a decade cannot reasonably be said to have had a "bad" year.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Vic Vinegar

Saying Quick had a "bad season" last year is either dishonest or misguided. Sure he has improved this year and looks a lot stronger, but it's no coincidence Quick was the first goalie to lead the Kings to the playoffs in 8 years. And he did it in his first full year as an NHL starter. I'd say that's pretty damn impressive actually.

Closed Thread