HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Old
02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
i think we have to be reeeeeaaaaally careful here if we're thinking this kid can be a top 6 forward. we should definitely be pleased with the year he's had after being drafted so late, but i just can't get out of my mind how weak his skating was when i saw him a couple of times in the rookie camp. he was clearly the weakest skater on the ice from what i saw. that's a problem.
He's 18, if he shows heart and promise no reason why his skating can't improve with power skating and playing in the AHL (till hes 22 maybe). Hes a project but definately worth keeping an eye on.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
i think we have to be reeeeeaaaaally careful here if we're thinking this kid can be a top 6 forward. we should definitely be pleased with the year he's had after being drafted so late, but i just can't get out of my mind how weak his skating was when i saw him a couple of times in the rookie camp. he was clearly the weakest skater on the ice from what i saw. that's a problem.
You do know that is almost a year ago, and these stats are from this season, a lot could have happened.

What if we ask someone on his skating who has actually watched his games this season.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
koreaboy

there's watching him with juniors and there's watching him with men who are pros. have i seen him play in the WHL against teenagers? no. but i HAVE seen him skate and play with guys like karlsson and butler on the ice and it was crystal clear to me that his skating was a big weakness.

don't get me wrong, he's a prospect to keep an eye on and you can't teach "big", but before we even THINK about calling him a possible top 6 forward we need to see him improve his skating dramatically, and we need to see him do it against men.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Before we talk about a player possibly being a top 6 forward, he actually has to be a top 6 forward.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Afro Thunder*

Here is some highlights at his latest game.

http://www.wheatkings.com/

He seems fast enough to create those insane 2on1 chances by blowing through the defenders. He looks like a great set up man and drives the net like a mother****er.

Old
02-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Manny*

He looked good in those highlights, but you just can't tell what his skating is like. Great playmaker, though.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
He looked good in those highlights, but you just can't tell what his skating is like. Great playmaker, though.
Could tell his stride is a little sloppy just by the way the way he pushed himself across the bench after celebrating a goal. His footwork looked promising in that little sample. Hockey sense?

Good pick. Big kid.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Here is some highlights at his latest game.

http://www.wheatkings.com/

He seems fast enough to create those insane 2on1 chances by blowing through the defenders. He looks like a great set up man and drives the net like a mother****er.
Was that a six point game for Stone (2G, 4A) against Saskatoon?

He has some good hands. Also his skating likely won't prevent him form being an NHLer, he is 6'3 and will be over 200 lbs and he is gritty, so he will get his shot. His skating may prevent him from being a top six or first line player though.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:50 PM
aruss1111

i like this player lots have a feeling he will be part of the world juniors this year good pick for murray and hes only 18 still gonna get better notice how he has similar stats as shaun coutourier who everyone is all horney about in the draft this year only difference is maybe his skating is a bit slower but that can get better plus he seems to be more of a setup man where coutourier likes to shoot the puck

aruss1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Bigger guys always take longer to develope as well. I think Stone thinks he'll be a good NHL player one day, he's ripping up the WHL, he knows what he's doing.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:07 PM
LeafRaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruss1111 View Post
i like this player lots have a feeling he will be part of the world juniors this year good pick for murray and hes only 18 still gonna get better notice how he has similar stats as shaun coutourier who everyone is all horney about in the draft this year only difference is maybe his skating is a bit slower but that can get better plus he seems to be more of a setup man where coutourier likes to shoot the puck
What?

LeafRaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
i would be more worried, but he played very well to start the year when glennie and schenn were both with their NHL teams.

I'm not going to call stone a 1st liner (though he is outproducing most first round picks who were predicted as first liners from last year), but given his season, i think calling him a potential top-6er (aka a 2nd liner with potential to move up to the first) isnt absurd.

02-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Couturier is a year younger. At a young age that makes a big difference. Im not being a downer, i'm psyched about stone, but junior stats are very difficult to determine anything substantive from.

no activity yet but a thread to keep an eye on for those of us curious about his fighting abilities.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f...9/#post2213816

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
aruss1111

Quote:
Couturier is a year younger. At a young age that makes a big difference. Im not being a downer, i'm psyched about stone, but junior stats are very difficult to determine anything substantive from.

no activity yet but a thread to keep an eye on for those of us curious about his fighting abilities.
they are both born in 92 coutourier is just born a bit late so missed last years draft only difference is stone played parts of two seasons in junior as a 16 and 17 year old coutourier is probly a bit better of a player mostly cause of his speed but they are both good players

Old
02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
aruss1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRaker View Post
What?
?????

Old
02-16-2011, 09:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
?????
This is a government town. We demand proper punctuation.

(my guess at his objection)

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
aruss1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
This is a government town. We demand proper punctuation.

(my guess at his objection)
haha

Old
02-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
they are both born in 92 coutourier is just born a bit late so missed last years draft only difference is stone played parts of two seasons in junior as a 16 and 17 year old coutourier is probly a bit better of a player mostly cause of his speed but they are both good players
speed, hockey sense, frame... its not even close but anyway...

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
speed, hockey sense, frame... its not even close but anyway...
Speed I give you that but frame is about the same, and hockey sense from what I seen Stone makes his teammates better, Brandon shouldn't even be in the playoff hunt if it wasn't for Stone.

Old
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Karlssonlee

How did we even get into this...comparing Stone to Couturier is ridiculous. You are making us Sens fans look worst than Leafs fans.

Stone compares more to a Ryane Clowe, Brooks Laich, Ryan Malone type player.

as an example...

Brooks Laich a year after his draft put up these numbers.

gm 75, g 28, a 50, 78 pts

and he was also a 6th round pick

*let's gather up our 6th round picks and just pick out of the WHL!!!

Last edited by Karlssonlee: 02-16-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Manny*

A Wheat Kings fan from the prospect section had this to say:

Quote:
The talk about Mark Stone's skating deficiencies get too much attention and his skating is not that bad. In hockey there are no marks for artistic impression. His skating does lack some jump and acceleration. There are ways to compensate, for example good puck control, not over handling the puck, good positional play and playing the forecheck appropriate to the player's skating abilities.
Stone is good where it counts, around the net and along the wall.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:52 AM
koreaboy

if your skating "lacks jump and acceleration" in the WHL, you are going to have a very, very tough time playing in the NHL against good defencemen. i think we try to be optimistic, but realistically the kid is a longshot to make the NHL.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Freerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
I hate to be the wet blanket here, but is anyone else slightly worried that his stats are inflated a little bit by playing with Glennie? It happens fairly frequently in the OHL, see Steve Ott/Jason Spezza, Marc-Andre Pouliot/Sydney Crosby, etc.

I sure hope he turns out though. It would be pretty amazing if Alfie retires and we get another out-of-nowhere 6th round pick to replace him right away.
Scott Glennie is no Crosby/Spezza, his draft year he played with Brayden Schenn, if anything its Glennie's stats that were inflated.

Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:29 AM
HappyDude
Classless

Mark Stone is going to make the big club next year; barring any unforeseen unfortunate injury or traumatic event.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Mark Stone is going to make the big club next year; barring any unforeseen unfortunate injury or traumatic event.
No he is not, that being said I would have no problem if Ottawa gave him a ELC this year and let him finish the year with Elmira Jackals once Brandon is eliminated from the playoffs

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote