HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jovanovski(UFA in June)

Old
02-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
I'd sign him for 2-3 years, Phoenix has cap space I see no reason why Jovo would make any less than 4-5 million for at least the first 2 years

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:25 PM
smokes lets go

yotes are not going to take gomez off your hands habs.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Blueland89

What about

Phoenix
Bogosian

Atlanta
Jovo
Vrbata
2nd

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
What about

Phoenix
Bogosian

Atlanta
Jovo
Vrbata
2nd
Ummm...no thx!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Ummm...no thx!
Really wow!

How doles Bogosian not fetch the return of

Vrbata and a 2nd plus a ufa older defensemen

I would be willing to throw Bergfors in but then the 2nd would have to turn into a 1st

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Really wow!

How doles Bogosian not fetch the return of

Vrbata and a 2nd plus a ufa older defensemen

I would be willing to throw Bergfors in but then the 2nd would have to turn into a 1st
Good value but Phoenix needs scoring more than defense right now. Trading Vrbata would be going the opposite direction. Plus the Coyotes are stacked on defensive prospects.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:37 AM
richardn

I think he has been playing pretty good hockey these days not worh his contract but I think he would be a good fit for the Leafs in the off season if they could get a good price.

richardn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Jovo is extremely valuable to our playoff drive. He would be an incredible loss. Maloney would be out of his mind to deal him now. Luckily, Maloney is not out of his mind, and Jovo has a NMC. He's going nowhere.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:54 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Jovo is extremely valuable to our playoff drive. He would be an incredible loss. Maloney would be out of his mind to deal him now. Luckily, Maloney is not out of his mind, and Jovo has a NMC. He's going nowhere.
Wow you think that highly of Jovo? I'd offer to drive him to the airport after he's traded.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:55 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
What about

Phoenix
Bogosian

Atlanta
Jovo
Vrbata
2nd
Looks like a great deal for us.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
no team is going to take on 17.5M for gomez just because they need to meet the cap floor.

There are cheaper ways to meet the floor.

I'd imagine that jovocop is worth about the same as kaberle as a rental, which is to say a 2nd+ a good prospect or a 1st rounder + a longshot prospect.
not that I don't understand that you'd have no interest in Gomez, but I don't think the suggestion is that the Yotes would want Gomez to reach the cap floor...

it would be about getting an upgrade at centre that costs 5.8M$/year (which i would say is too rich for Gomez, but some do feel he is worth that, ESPECIALLY if one were to believe that he will rebound given the right situation) without really having to give up anything in return.

The Jovo talk originated from a very unreliable web site, and i'd be surprised to see him in a deal for Gomez unless Mtl was adding more to it, since he would generate a much better return by being traded elsewhere.

For a team in PHX's situation, if Maloney was determined to get a veteran player to play top-6 minutes at centre sometime either this year of this summer, Gomez might be one of the few realistic options out there.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:16 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Yea and it would help you guys spend to the cap floor . And he has a good front loaded contract.
What is the cap floor? ~$43.4? Coyotes currently at ~$50.3M. You were saying...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
A big part of me still wants to see Jovocop come back to Vancouver. Certainly not at that salary, but maybe at a discount in the summer.
If the Coyotes move to WPG, you may get your wish. Don't see any of the Coyotes re-signing if the 2011-12 destination is WPG.

As to his current value, if Coyotes are in playoff hunt and a "buyer" at the deadline, Jovo goes nowhere.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:46 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
There is rumor from a B.S site that has the Yotes interested in Gomez, and suggests Jovo + pick as the return... I'm guessing that's were the proposals in this post are originating.

Yotes fan, while the initial reaction may be "no way" b/c of the accurate perception that Gomez is vastly overpaid, I think that when you break it down, there are a lot of sound reasons to think that the Yotes might actually be a "perfect" destination for Gomez, assuming that habs management is as eager as the fan base is to unload his cap hit.

I posted this in a habs thread... be interested to hear comments from knowledgable Yotes fans:

__________________________________________________ _____________________

there are a few things about Phoenix that makes it at least somewhat plausible as a destination:

- Maloney as GM: He was the assistant GM in New York when Gomez got that ridiculous contract... perhaps he was as convinced as Sather that it was worth it, and while Gomez didn't work out there, maybe he still feels a soft spot for him (wouldn't be the first or last GM to go after players in moves others find confusing at best)

- The descending hard salary vs cap hit... with 17.5M$ remaining on his deal, Gomez would cost phoenix 5.8M/year, a salary that he has a much better chance at living up to...
i would disagree, but I think even some habs fans would consider him worth that price. seeing as there is virtually no chance of the Yotes spending to the cap between now and the end of his deal, the 7.4M$ cap hit means nothing. Adding a top-6 veteran centre who has a strong track record of quality playoff performances, for 5.8M$, without giving up much in return, isn't a terrible idea.

- Gomez's fit within the Yotes current roster... they don't have great depth down the middle, but do have a solid group of wingers. Gomez would be a pretty solid complement to Hanzal/Turris moving forward, and with a weak group of UFA centre's (outside of Richards) would be one of their better options to upgrade the position in the short term. He'd also bring some quality playoff experience to a relatively inexperienced group that looks firmly headed to another postseason berth.

- Yote's cap situation: aside from Yandle, yotes don't have anyone due for a big raise in the offseason, so replacing Jovo's salary with Gomez's is very doable while sticking to their internal budget. Yotes amazingly only have 1 contract on the books beyond 2012, so have the flexibility to adjust, and if he continues to regress (as opposed to returning to his career average level), moving him in the final year of his deal wouldn't be as difficult if needed.

- Gomez's mexican heritage: the demographic affect is often exaggerated, but for a team desperate to expand the fan base, and with very reasonable/affordable ticket prices, adding a "key player" who happens to be of Mexican descent, in a city with a massive population of people of mexican descent... well it would at least give the Yotes marketing department something to work with.
Wow! Other than your last statement I'd swear you're a Yotes fan and AZ resident. And I don't want to focus only on your last point. Perhaps by putting it last your intention was to consider as the lowest priority.

That said, I do not see Jovo involved in ANY deal. He and his family love it here; the Coyotes are in the playoff hunt; and he has no reason to waive his NTC unless it was to a team he believed was as close to a lock for the Cup a possible. Don't see the Habs in that group.

Everything else you outlined is dead-on. Refreshing to see someone actually putting some thought into a proposal that makes sense.

Gomez to PHX makes sense, IMO; salary owed far more relevant than cap hit; Maloney history with Rangers a factor; SGs speed and ability to dish fills a need here; and his aggressive style of play fits the Tippet mold.

That said, $5.8M per for 3 more years might be a steep price to pay when you consider FAs available this year and next. Have to believe that currently Maloney looks at the market from the perspective of, "we do not have an owner, so how do I justify acquiring a contract worth >$17M, with $7.5M in salary next year? Can I acquire someone for <$7.5M to fill a need next season, then sign someone for a minimum of ~$10M over 2 years in 2012-13?"

Haven't looked at potential Centers/UFAs that could be available after next season, but comfortable that thinking weighs on Maloney's decisions.

Roszival is a classic example: cap hit is $5M, but actual salary is 2011-12 is $3M. Then he is a free agent.

Bottom line, while I would be all over getting Gomez to the desert, I doubt Maloney would be willing to commit to SGs deal of 3+ years.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I dont get the Yotes . They dont have any big superstars and they are still really good every year . Is it just good collective play or what ?
Exactly. Tippett's system is hard work, solid defense and scoring by committee. They lead the pacific in scoring despite the leading scorer Upshall having only 16. They have 9 guys with 11 or more goals. When the system works, they get on streaks like they are now with 5 in a row. When it doesn't.......

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote