HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mr. Softy, Tinman, and Leo the Lame

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
  #51
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Every Miller loss from here on in is going to be put on him, at least in part. The Islanders game and his subsequent reaction put him in the crosshairs of many. He's given little or no credit now for big saves, and anything short of tap-in's are put on him.

When you have a career year in Buffalo--and some other cities, for that matter--many of the fans expect you to continue playing at that level. To them, that is the new standard against which your performance will be measured. And when you don't meet it, you're a bum. I've always said one of the worst things that happened to Derek Roy was scoring 81 pts because then everyone expected it from that point forward. And when he couldn't replicate that success for a variety of reasons, you began hearing all the "not a #1 center" or "he's not a top-6 center on a good team" bromides.

Being a Sabres fan has taught me that the city of Buffalo almost always prefers the under-talented player who performs at or slightly beyond expectations, to the very talented player who may be slightly under-performing.


Thanks I needed that...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:56 AM
  #52
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
If Leopold doesn't screen his own goaltender by standing in Crabb's way and not taking the puck or body, that goal never happens.

If Vanek didn't lazily follow Crabb and bump him once lightly on the backcheck, that goal never happens.

If Connolly doesn't turn the puck over for the ump-teenth time seconds into the zone, that goal never happens.

If our power play could've entered the zone gracefully last night, that goal probably wouldn't have happened.

If Miller learns to stay back in his net, that goal never happens.

There's a lot more to the story than Miller. You sir, have an agenda.
By that measurement, a goaltender would practically never be at fault on a goal against.

i see someone with their own agenda.

Call it like it is. A lot of people **** their undies on that play, and Miller was certainly one of them.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
  #53
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,947
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post


Thanks I needed that...
Oh look, the authority on all things Derek Roy...

Shouldn't you be joining the search party for Vanek? He's been missing for three games. Aren't you concerned?

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:13 AM
  #54
BrooklynBuffaloFan
Registered User
 
BrooklynBuffaloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
So we score 1 goal and this game is a goalie issue? Gotcha.
Apologies for the number soup in this post, but...

The Sabres have scored two or fewer goals in 10 of Lalime's last 12 starts dating back to his meltdown in Anaheim last year. He's given up more than 3 goals 4 times, it's not like they always lose 6-2.

In 12 starts for a goalie, if he's giving up less than 3 goals 8 times, they should have more than one win. They couldn't get to four goals in 6 of 12 games?

Yet people are ready to run Lalime out of here and the coach just won't put him in.

I like Miller, but he butchered that shortie just as bad as Leopold and Vanek did. I think Leo and Vanek were trying to avoid taking another penalty. They still blew, but that's more understandable than Miller inexplicably leaving half the net open.

BrooklynBuffaloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
  #55
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Oh look, the authority on all things Derek Roy...

Shouldn't you be joining the search party for Vanek? He's been missing for three games. Aren't you concerned?
i am concerned. we need producing on a regular basis to make the playoffs

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:20 AM
  #56
BrooklynBuffaloFan
Registered User
 
BrooklynBuffaloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Oh look, the authority on all things Derek Roy...

Shouldn't you be joining the search party for Vanek? He's been missing for three games. Aren't you concerned?
He hasn't exactly been "missing." In the Montreal game he had a nice assist and a shootout-saving goal. Sabres definitely don't win that game without him.

Against the Isles and Leafs, though, yeah, he was pretty bad. Of course, he had good games against both those teams not long ago.

I'd like to see how he is against St. Louis and Washington before I dive headfirst into "he's cooling off."

BrooklynBuffaloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
  #57
gaf
Occupied Territory
 
gaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... on the warpath
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Oh look, the authority on all things Derek Roy...

Shouldn't you be joining the search party for Vanek? He's been missing for three games. Aren't you concerned?
Well if Roy was in the line-up he would have never re-appeared to make you notice that he's disappearing..

Does Gaustad's 3 goals in 7 games help 'prove' this team is better w/out Roy too?

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:32 AM
  #58
NativityPlayground*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clarence
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
If Leopold doesn't screen his own goaltender by standing in Crabb's way and not taking the puck or body, that goal never happens.

If Vanek didn't lazily follow Crabb and bump him once lightly on the backcheck, that goal never happens.

If Connolly doesn't turn the puck over for the ump-teenth time seconds into the zone, that goal never happens.

If our power play could've entered the zone gracefully last night, that goal probably wouldn't have happened.

If Miller learns to stay back in his net, that goal never happens.

There's a lot more to the story than Miller. You sir, have an agenda.
Agenda ?

The goal never happens period ..if Mr softie stays in his net no matter what happened before it !

Keep making excuses for Miller , does not really matter to me , I have no agenda .

I played goal for 20 years and if my defense has been scewing me all year long in terms of never being where you think they will or should be when I come out to be more aggresive or challenge , I would keep my ass in the blue paint !

No more excuses...

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
  #59
NativityPlayground*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clarence
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Every Miller loss from here on in is going to be put on him, at least in part. The Islanders game and his subsequent reaction put him in the crosshairs of many. He's given little or no credit now for big saves, and anything short of tap-in's are put on him.

When you have a career year in Buffalo--and some other cities, for that matter--many of the fans expect you to continue playing at that level. To them, that is the new standard against which your performance will be measured. And when you don't meet it, you're a bum. I've always said one of the worst things that happened to Derek Roy was scoring 81 pts because then everyone expected it from that point forward. And when he couldn't replicate that success for a variety of reasons, you began hearing all the "not a #1 center" or "he's not a top-6 center on a good team" bromides.

Being a Sabres fan has taught me that the city of Buffalo almost always prefers the under-talented player who performs at or slightly beyond expectations, to the very talented player who may be slightly under-performing.
Ok let me make sure I have got this straight .

Paul Hamilton and Lindy Ruff dont know what they are talking about either when they say Mr Softie is having a tough year right ?

Lets all just give Ryan a free pass so we dont hurt his feelings ..awe...

He wants to be "a leader" but reacts like a 5 year when asked a simple routine question the other day after the Islanders game...yea some leader

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM
  #60
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,758
vCash: 500
How Special Nieds continues to dress, especially now over Byron, is beyond me.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
  #61
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you
 
SiriusBizinuez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC for now.
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Ok let me make sure I have got this straight .

Paul Hamilton and Lindy Ruff dont know what they are talking about either when they say Mr Softie is having a tough year right ?

Lets all just give Ryan a free pass so we dont hurt his feelings ..awe...

He wants to be "a leader" but reacts like a 5 year when asked a simple routine question the other day after the Islanders game...yea some leader
Yeah I would say you definitely don't "have got this straight." Nobody here has suggested that we get off Miller to spare his feelings, nor has anyone suggested that he isn't having a tough year. Of course he is having a tough year, it's clearly demonstrable. But Miller was .933 last night. So was Reimer. You can do that math in your head.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
  #62
NativityPlayground*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clarence
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Yeah I would say you definitely don't "have got this straight." Nobody here has suggested that we get off Miller to spare his feelings, nor has anyone suggested that he isn't having a tough year. Of course he is having a tough year, it's clearly demonstrable. But Miller was .933 last night. So was Reimer. You can do that math in your head.
And Miller once again was beaten by a scrub = Reimer ...

He allowed the back breaking game winning goal to another scrub a shorty none the less.. = Mr Crabs

You want to point to his save % for one game lol...look at it for the year and where he ranks in it

How many times has Mr softie been beaten by a scrub like Reimer this year ..I can look it up for you if you wish ?

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
  #63
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you
 
SiriusBizinuez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC for now.
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Oh lawd ok I'm done with this.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:45 PM
  #64
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Agenda ?

The goal never happens period ..if Mr softie stays in his net no matter what happened before it !

Keep making excuses for Miller , does not really matter to me , I have no agenda .

I played goal for 20 years and if my defense has been scewing me all year long in terms of never being where you think they will or should be when I come out to be more aggresive or challenge , I would keep my ass in the blue paint !

No more excuses...
You don't have an agenda? Ok.....

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:45 PM
  #65
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
How Special Nieds continues to dress, especially now over Byron, is beyond me.
as a veteran you get a full year free pass of sucking under Lindy Ruff Rules, before you get benched.

Nieds shouldn't play another game in a Sabres uniform. He's a complete waste of roster space right now. I'd rather have Mark Mancari in the lineup.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
  #66
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
what is the Miller argument actually about? Is anyone actually claiming that he DIDN'T misplay the shortie? Ok , no one is that biased right?

good

end of conversation

Why is it bias any time someone criticizes the holy trinity?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
  #67
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
Reimer beat Miller? Wow, I should of watched closer ... I didn't realize Reimer scored on Miller. Yea, I just checked the score sheet and if you want to go to: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_y...gid=2011021602

It was Kessel and Crabb that beat Miller. Oh, and the Sabres offense couldn't score on Reimer (except Gaustad) So Reimer beat the Sabres offense, or team as a whole, not only Miller.

Millers game is suffering, but on the "blame list" overall for the season, he ranks about 5th. PP, PK, third line scoring, defensive meltdowns come before Miller, IMO.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
  #68
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
as a veteran you get a full year free pass of sucking under Lindy Ruff Rules, before you get benched.

Nieds shouldn't play another game in a Sabres uniform. He's a complete waste of roster space right now. I'd rather have Mark Mancari in the lineup.
Yes yes yes

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
  #69
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,947
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Reimer beat Miller? Wow, I should of watched closer ... I didn't realize Reimer scored on Miller. Yea, I just checked the score sheet and if you want to go to: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_y...gid=2011021602

It was Kessel and Crabb that beat Miller. Oh, and the Sabres offense couldn't score on Reimer (except Gaustad) So Reimer beat the Sabres offense, or team as a whole, not only Miller.

Millers game is suffering, but on the "blame list" overall for the season, he ranks about 5th. PP, PK, third line scoring, defensive meltdowns come before Miller, IMO.
At #1 I'd put: Derek Roy playing the first 35 games.

We'd be in the President's Trophy race but for his presence early in the season.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:06 PM
  #70
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
At #1 I'd put: Derek Roy playing the first 35 games.

We'd be in the President's Trophy race but for his presence early in the season.
Quote:
You can thank your continued existence on this board to the grace of our fine moderators, because if 47 of 50 posts (excluding deleted ones) on the same issue meant to incite the same reaction isn't trolling, I'm not sure what is.
just saying

Maybe I read it wrong, and that post wasn't "meant to incite the same reaction"... so if not, what was it meant to do?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
  #71
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,947
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
just saying

Maybe I read it wrong, and that post wasn't "meant to incite the same reaction"... so if not, what was it meant to do?
There's a fine line between sarcasm and poking fun at a proposition you don't agree with, and posting only about one issue in an incendiary way meant to incite people.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:17 PM
  #72
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
There's a fine line between sarcasm and poking fun at a proposition you don't agree with, and posting only about one issue in an incendiary way meant to incite people.
i completely agree. But taking the high road in one post, and then the lower road moments later is pretty darn hilarious, don't you think?

i don't mind being flammed for my opinions, honestly

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
  #73
K McDude
Registered User
 
K McDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground* View Post
Could not care less if I "grate" on you or any other poster !

I tell it the way it is and I choose to not put a pretty lilttle bow on everything like the Miller apologists like to do .

This is not one "bad game" nor one " bad misread", the season has been full of them for Miller..

Simply put, if you do not like what I post or I sound like a " broken record" you can simply utilize the ignore function .

Fair enough ?
I like this guy.

I don't think Miller had a bad game at all, but as the last line of defense, he has to make a better effort to stop that backbreaker.

You're not a hater if you agree with us, nor an apologist if you disagree. My standards might be higher or lower then others.

To me, this is the "real" Ryan Miller, especially taking away his career year. His stats are similar to every other year, and that is why my feelings are this guy is not elite. I don't think we will ever win a cup building around him, and our best chance has come and gone. I don't think we will ever have a team as dominant as the 2 seasons post-lockout.

Ryan was far from the biggest problem last night, this team needs to show up. They had too many excuses not to show up, I guess.

K McDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
  #74
K McDude
Registered User
 
K McDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i completely agree. But taking the high road in one post, and then the lower road moments later is pretty darn hilarious, don't you think?

i don't mind being flammed for my opinions, honestly
Yeah right, you are one of the most conservative posters on this board.

K McDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
  #75
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
That was probably 2nd worst game I've seen them play this year. Just pathetic.

With all the hype around this team "putting it together since Roy went out" I wouldn't be at all surprised if this team is cooling off right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgosabres5225 View Post
What a crappy game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
This game barely held my interest. What a bore fest.
Puzzled by these posts. I thought the jump the Sabres had in the first was great!! Very few whistles the whole game. Action / hitting. I don't think I've lowered my standards. Game kept me on edge with the closeness (and the frustration which is the Sabres PP zone entry) all game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
The PP was brutal tonight. Especially in the 3rd. they couldn't even enter the zone FFS.
The 2-man adv. BUF had was pretty ineffective. No shots, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
B:
- Leopold looked lost.
- Our forwards. Stafford? Vanek? What happened?
- SH goal. Wow. That was just awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Good:
-Miller. Liked his game tonight. Was locked in. A lot of big saves.
-Morrisonn. Really physical. Just a solid game.
-Weber. See Morrisonn.
-Liked Myers' game.
-Gerbe. Love his effort.

Bad:

-Leopold. Absolutely horrific tonight. Hated him on both goals. He started the first one by making a bad pass to Ennis that got kept in the zone. And on the shortie, that was the worst defensive effort I've seen this year. Putrid. Probably his worst game as a Sabre.
-Connolly. Made his linemates worse. Terrible giveaway that led to a shortie.
-Butler. He's just not very good. It's sad to see. He's regressed a lot.
-Vanek. Relatively invisible for the third straight game.
-Kaleta. Lindy, his hand is bothering him. He's a sideshow right now. Put Byron back in. He adds speed to the lineup.
Agree with both the above posts, but I thought Butler was OK by Butler standards.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
...Being a Sabres fan has taught me that the city of Buffalo almost always prefers the under-talented player who performs at or slightly beyond expectations, to the very talented player who may be slightly under-performing.
The classic dilemna - do you want the trophy wife/girlfriend who doesn't like to hop in the sack that often, or do you want the plain Jane who can't keep her hands off you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBuffaloFan View Post
Apologies for the number soup in this post, but...

The Sabres have scored two or fewer goals in 10 of Lalime's last 12 starts dating back to his meltdown in Anaheim last year. He's given up more than 3 goals 4 times, it's not like they always lose 6-2.

In 12 starts for a goalie, if he's giving up less than 3 goals 8 times, they should have more than one win. They couldn't get to four goals in 6 of 12 games?

Yet people are ready to run Lalime out of here and the coach just won't put him in.

I like Miller, but he butchered that shortie just as bad as Leopold and Vanek did. I think Leo and Vanek were trying to avoid taking another penalty. They still blew, but that's more understandable than Miller inexplicably leaving half the net open.
Please post those above Lalime goal support stats every time HogTownSabresFan brings up Lalime's play last year.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.