HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren asked Leino about Versteeg

Old
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
FlyersFanatic

vCash: 500
Holmgren asked Leino about Versteeg

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...te-Team-Player

Quote:
Itís hard not to be impressed with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren. Sure he has the advantage of spending to the cap but so do some other GMís who havenít been nearly as successful.

Outside of Nikolai Zherdev, itís hard to really pinpoint the mistakes Holmgren has made with his hockey club. Hereís an old school guy whoís shown the ability to get it done in the cap era. Itís one thing to freely spend like we see with Glen Sather and the New York Rangers, building a team with chemistry who competes for a Stanley Cup is a different story.

Is there anything better than a GM who treats his players and others around him with respect?* Most players would tell you no. It can set the foundation for an entire organization when the people up top are humble and respectful.

It will be hard to go against Philadelphia come playoff time when you consider their depth offensively. On any given night leading scorers such as Jeff Carter and Claude Giroux might be playing on the third line. If not them then itís Mike Richards and newly acquired Kris Versteeg. It could even be the highest scoring line in the league consisting of Danny Briere, Ville Leino and Scott Hartnell. Not all of these guys are free agent or trade pickups either. Throw in James Van Riemsdyk along with Giroux, Carter and Richards and you have some pretty impressive draft picks with JVR the only one selected in the top ten.

The Flyers also have, in my opinion, the second best fourth line in the league with Darroll Powe, Blair Betts, and Daniel Carcillo. I say second best as I wouldnít put them ahead of the fourth line in San Jose consisting of Ben Eager, Scott Nichol, and Jamal Mayers.

Speaking of Leino by the way, thereís been a lot of talk regarding a contract extension. Both sides have been talking and were gaining some traction. Recently Holmgren approached Leino and gave him an option. Sources say he told Leino we can get the deal done now or add Versteeg and wait until after the season.* Leino responded quickly ďI want to win a CupĒ.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-17-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
FlyersFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

The Zherdev deal was a mistake?

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
as a sports writer, that's all you can conclude by him sitting while shelley and carcillo play. If it wasn't a mistake, he'd be playing everyday, he clearly has skill.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:25 AM
flyershockey

I may be off, but does this mean they'll more then likely use Zherdev's and Carcillo's cap space to sign him in the offseason?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Mgkibbles

I wouldn't call Zherdev a mistake. Homer rolled the dice in the hopes an extremely talented player would find a work ethic with a team possessing a strong leadership core, of course it hasn't worked out, it was still a good, cheap gamble.

But back to the articles main purpose, its nice that Homer talked to Leino about the situation, and I assume it shows they really want to get a deal done in the off-season...and they better.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I may be off, but does this mean they'll more then likely use Zherdev's and Carcillo's cap space to sign him in the offseason?
I think they are hoping the cap will rise enough to re-sign their guys.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:28 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I wouldn't call Zherdev a mistake. Homer rolled the dice in the hopes an extremely talented player would find a work ethic with a team possessing a strong leadership core, of course it hasn't worked out, it was still a good, cheap gamble.

But back to the articles main purpose, its nice that Homer talked to Leino about the situation, and I assume it shows they really want to get a deal done in the off-season...and they better.
We can argue over the technicalities of the word "mistake" all day. But it certainly was not a rousing success.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Jimmy Villa

Nice article, all positive signs for us.

the Versteeg addition has given everyone a little boost just when you need it.

The mistake with Zherdev (IMO) comes from having him ride the pine every night behind Car Bomb/Shelley, but that is not Homers call

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
DUHockey9

If true, I commend Homer for that. I like the up front and honest approach with his players. In certain scenarios, it makes perfect sense to ask for your players' thoughts.

Regarding the one statement however:

Quote:
itís hard to really pinpoint the mistakes Holmgren has made with his hockey club.
I couldn't disagree more. It's actually quite EASY to pinpoint the mistakes Homer has made. See the 2 players he waived this season in order to correct the brutal mistakes he made in July that most people already knew were mistakes. That's just nitpicking however.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:32 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think they are hoping the cap will rise enough to re-sign their guys.
I see, thanks. As much as I think Versteeg will do wonders for Richard's line in the playoffs, if the trade meant losing Ville in the offseason then I can't say that I'm happy. It's good to see that Holmgren assured Ville that getting a deal done is his highest priority in the offseason.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Good on Leino.

02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Villedelphia*

article is full of good things. But how could Leighton not be considered a mistake

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Thats pretty cool.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
flountown

Leighton is an afterthought at this point, but this is a great character article on Leino.

Also, for those panicking about not signing him, RELAX. The cap is going up and there will be plenty of room for a 2.5-3mil type contract, perhaps more if necessary. If you are that worried, go to capgeek and use their future cap calculator to mess with next year's roster. If one thing changes with the next CBA, I just hope its the complexity of the cap, I am tired of people worrying because the handful of cap experts are telling us we are over the cap without the caveats and rules exceptions that go along with it.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
article is full of good things. But how could Leighton not be considered a mistake
Agreed. The only good thing is he's buried in the minors but the bad thing is, if Boosh or Bob get injured and Leighton is recalled, someone could grab him and we'd be in trouble.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post

The mistake with Zherdev (IMO) comes from having him ride the pine every night behind Car Bomb/Shelley, but that is not Homers call
I'd like to see Carcillo sent anywhere and make room for Zherdev/Shelley.

Shelley can at least win fights and Zherdev has skill. Z is just not a team guy. He is SOOO gone this offseason.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
If true, I commend Homer for that. I like the up front and honest approach with his players. In certain scenarios, it makes perfect sense to ask for your players' thoughts.
Agreed. Good show by Holmgren. I'm still doubtful we'll be able to resign Leino without trading someone else (Carle/Meszaros/Coburn or even Versteeg). But it will be easier if we're upfront with him like this.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
What can you do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It would appear that way, plus don't forget -- we always *hope* that the cap ceiling goes up.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
DenverBoone

Shelley hasn't won a single fight this year, imo. Benching Z in favor of Shelley is lunacy.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Awesome. Leino just moved up a lot on my favorite players board. Can't wait for that playoff beard...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I'd like to see Carcillo sent anywhere and make room for Zherdev/Shelley.

Shelley can at least win fights and Zherdev has skill. Z is just not a team guy. He is SOOO gone this offseason.
I'd like to see Carcillo in the lineup, playing a really strong game like he did last night. He's got skill and speed enough to complement top players, which is more that Shelley has.

I like Zherdev, but he's been replaced by Versteeg, probably permanently, in our top 9. Carcillo is great on 4th line, but he played great last year (before injury) with Gagne and Richards vs. NJ, and he looked good with Richards and Versteeg last night.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
What can you do...
Letting him play would be my first move.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Shelley hasn't won a single fight this year, imo. Benching Z in favor of Shelley is lunacy.
Zherdev is inconsistent and sucks at D. Lavy knows what he will get with Shelley and not with Zherdev. It was basically benching Zherdev for Carcillo or Shelley depending if Carcillo would be in the top 9 or not. Which I thought he had a good game with Richards and Versteeg.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
That's not really true about him having won a single fight. Also, I don't know anything about Zherdev's character, but giving ice time to someone who isn't fully bought in to what you're trying to do as a team (i.e. rewarding them) can really undermine the culture of a locker room, which is something I think is important. I'm guessing that is why Zherdev is scratched some games.

I don't know, but the whole situation is frustrating. He doesn't seem like an obvious d-bag, and he has a ton of talent, so it would just be a little less annoying that he's always sitting for apparently inferior players if we knew specifically why it was happening.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post

He should be in the lineup over one of them at least.....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote