HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#57: Flyers @ Panthers - Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:59 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

vCash: 500
Had to leave after the 2nd and just finished watching. Very happy with two wins in Florida.

I can not emphasize enough how happy I am that Holmgren has resisted all attempts by other teams to get JVR from us. The kid is plainly starting to truly find his game, and will rule for years.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Snipsnap12

after watching highlights from tsn and csn, it looks like the building was 60% flyer fans tonight, when briere put in the empty netter all I could see were flyer faithful in celebration

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

JvR led the team in hits tonight? Turning into a real PWF

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I think Randy Jones pissed him off. Gordie Howe hattrick in TB, another goal and the hitting against Florida.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:09 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Great pic.

Fan - " Higher! "

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:41 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

When I went to bed after the 2nd I knew I'd wake up to a much closer result.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
When I went to bed after the 2nd I knew I'd wake up to a much closer result.
Honestly, you shouldn't expect anything less .

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Tough win and the whole team should take turns buying Nodl dinner till the Playoffs. He saved their ***** tonight with some great play in the crease. I've never been a big fan but he's showing me something now. Coincidentally enough when he gets taken off the Richards line.

JVR has also made huge strides. So impressive when he throws that big body around. Zherdev should be in the line up, especially on back to back nights. This team looked totally gassed last night. I'm sure other posters have already said all of this because it was pretty obvious.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:21 AM
mirimon

Brière, JvR and Bobrovsky were the three stars in my book. Taking four points back from Florida isn't something we've been spoiled with recently, so I'll take it even if there were some question marks during the two games.

Also, I'm glad we didn't go after Stillman if he's been playing all season as he did yesterday. He looked really, really old out there.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Loving what I'm seeing from JVR right now. He looks confident, which is going to happen when you start scoring. Hope he keeps it up.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
So as per my ritual now, I waited to come into this thread until the game was over, and all I have to say is to those who dropped the s word, you can all collectively kiss my ass. You may not believe in that ****, but for the sake of superstitions, just don't ****ing do it. Wait until the team actually gets one, then you can say it all you want. Just give the rest of us who do believe in the superstitions one ****ing game. Goodness people, it's not that hard to bite your tongue for one game now is it?

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
bennysflyers16

Good win, the boys were def tired in the 3rd though. Lavy, at least try and showcase Z on Friday so that we can at least trade him for a pick. If they end up waiving him I am going to be pissed. If they aren't going to play him last night when a skill guy is hurt, he's not ever getting back into the line up !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:02 AM
PhillyFlying

speaking of jvr...any word on his condition? looked like he got caught with his head down on his last shift of the game.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:12 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
So as per my ritual now, I waited to come into this thread until the game was over, and all I have to say is to those who dropped the s word, you can all collectively kiss my ass. You may not believe in that ****, but for the sake of superstitions, just don't ****ing do it. Wait until the team actually gets one, then you can say it all you want. Just give the rest of us who do believe in the superstitions one ****ing game. Goodness people, it's not that hard to bite your tongue for one game now is it?
We have given them plenty of games without saying shutout.

Maybe you should start *****ing out the team? You know the ones who actually influence the result, instead of posters just trying to have fun?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Also, I'm glad we didn't go after Stillman if he's been playing all season as he did yesterday. He looked really, really old out there.
I was never a huge Versteeg fan, but he looked pretty good with Richards last night. He has good hands and hockey sense. I was hoping for more size to be added, but they went for skill, and given their track record of finding the right guys, it's hard to complain.

The pro scouts clearly beat the bushes looking for a forward to add.

We know they went after Langenbrunner. Cole isn't going to be available. I'm sure they looked at Stillman and a bunch of others and decided that Versteeg was their man.

The fact that Homer talked to Leino and Ville said, 'go for Versteeg, we'll talk later' is a great sign that the team is united and on a mission to win in the spring. Can't really complain about that.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
JVR credited with 6 hits last night.

MONSTER

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post

Great pic.

Fan - " Higher! "
There's something awkward about this pic...hahaha

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Opus

Quote:
I had this talk with buddies once...

Who's to say that you (or others?) don't do things that **** up other peoples superstitions?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
There's something awkward about this pic...hahaha
$5 foot long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I had this talk with buddies once...

Who's to say that you (or others?) don't do things that **** up other peoples superstitions?
But in the hockey sense of superstitions, I feel pretty certain in that nobody out there on the ice, locker room, or bench of the team who has one going, is actually going to say the word. Players don't mess around with that type of stuff, and we as hockey fans know that they're the probably the most superstitious as far as sports go. Would just figure that I am, and a whole lot others are probably as superstitious in everyday life/ viewing habits as they are. I guess it would just surprise me that an actual hockey fan that knows about the little things like that would have the mindset of having a superstition of saying a word like shutout while there currently is one happening.

Edit: And even as an example, I was at the Montreal-Flyers game about 3 weeks ago, and I kid you not literally 20 seconds before the puck went in the net to break the shutout, some dude in back of me said shutout. He had the same idea that he couldn't possibly have had any outcome on the game, but after getting ready to collectively kill the guy for a couple minutes after, just about the entire section gave him a lecture until the end of the game on how you can think it all you want, but just for the sake of it, don't say the word.

Last edited by Kambo: 02-17-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
But in the hockey sense of superstitions, I feel pretty certain in that nobody out there on the ice, locker room, or bench of the team who has one going, is actually going to say the word. Players don't mess around with that type of stuff, and we as hockey fans know that they're the probably the most superstitious as far as sports go. Would just figure that I am, and a whole lot others are probably as superstitious in everyday life/ viewing habits as they are. I guess it would just surprise me that an actual hockey fan that knows about the little things like that would have the mindset of having a superstition of saying a word like shutout while there currently is one happening.

Edit: And even as an example, I was at the Montreal-Flyers game about 3 weeks ago, and I kid you not literally 20 seconds before the puck went in the net to break the shutout, some dude in back of me said shutout. He had the same idea that he couldn't possibly have had any outcome on the game, but after getting ready to collectively kill the guy for a couple minutes after, just about the entire section gave him a lecture until the end of the game on how you can think it all you want, but just for the sake of it, don't say the word.
As one of the main provokers in last night's GDT, I want to ask if there is a widespread consensus about not saying the S word. Personally, I think the superstition thing is ridiculous – and I'm a goalie! – and I figured since we had been so hush-hush about it for the majority of the year to no avail, it's time to be bold. However, if several people have a genuine negative reaction to seeing it in a GDT, I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
$5 foot long?

And when people become even more fanatic about ridiculous superstitions, people will then purposely say the word shutout just to spite you.

There is no logical argument around this. It is just a superstition. I hope you also don't stay clear of black cats, never go under ladders, never open an umbrella indoors, never break a mirror.... This list almost never ends.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Richards' facial expression is like: "Calm down, dude. It was only a goal."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Richards' facial expression is like: "Calm down, dude. It was only a goal."
That's kinda what I was thinking.. like, he's thinking, "Woah. Stalker".

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote