HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev/Carcillo/Shelley

Old
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Ahh...he's dogging it on the ice....as Meltzer noted in the post above. He's been doing it all year picking his spots and playing when he feels like it. Talking about this guy as part of the team is futile anymore. The coach doesn't like him for valid reasons not bias and I don't get sense he's even well liked in the locker room....
Soory, did not see you post by the time I refreshed.....but what you said.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Soory, did not see you post by the time I refreshed.....but what you said.
No problem..I think repeating the same point doesn't hurt because lots of people don't seem to get it with Z. He's doesn't fit in.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
No problem..I think repeating the same point doesn't hurt because lots of people don't seem to get it with Z. He's doesn't fit in.....
I have repeated myself routinely regarding the subject. And to finish the last words you wrote, as per the coach Nodl does seem to fit what he wants. If they get a guy who can fill that role better Homer would make a move, but otherwise they are going to be playing him with Richards-Versteeg and count on him just getting points when he can but focus on the defense and making the smart play.

Old
02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah this is what I am thinking. His games really haven't been that bad. He clearly hasn't been a standout all year but there really hasn't been a time where I have said, "OMG what is Z doing out there?" He must be showing up late/dogging it/or complaining during practice because his play on the ice hasn't really warranted to be benched behind Carcillo or Shelley.
Practice might be it, but it's also position. The LW lock that Lavi plays requires the LW to be back at the blue line so they can stand up three across, with LD in centre ice and RD on his boards.

In that system, having big LWs who are good defensively is useful - Shanahan being the DRW poster child, but Hartnell, Nodl and JVR do it well, as to Carcillo or Shelley.

The RWs get more room to freewheel as long as they pick up their point. With Leino, Carter and now Versteeg, and Powe on RW, the only spot for Z is LW and I don't think they like the way he plays the lock.

I like Zherdev's skill, but the acquisition of Versteeg is the writing on the waiver/trade notice. I don't think they'll keep him around if they can add a $1M vet Dman for depth who can stay on the roster.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
.......I like Zherdev's skill, but the acquisition of Versteeg is the writing on the waiver/trade notice. I don't think they'll keep him around if they can add a $1M vet Dman for depth who can stay on the roster.
IMO what they need is another Knuble/Hartnell type guy who can stand in front of the net and chip in some goals.

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Jimmy Villa

Maybe he is 'doggin it' because he isn't getting a fair crack of the whip and is fed up of seeing guys like Car Bomb be put in instead of him........Just sayin

Also, if it's so obvious that he doesn't fit in, and it's been that way from the start (it seems) why did Holmgren sign him up in the first place? He isn't known for his locker room motivation to my knowledge. Infact, aren't his locker room/off ice problems well documented?
He's known for goals, in all situations.

Small part of me hopes Z stays around in the NHL and shows the Flyers next year what he can do........small part!!!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
DUHockey9

Just read an article on BroadStreetHockey about Z, the one writer seems to think we can get a 2nd for Z "at the absolutel least". Does ANYONE think that is true? Because I can't see anyone giving a 2nd for him.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Maybe he is 'doggin it' because he isn't getting a fair crack of the whip and is fed up of seeing guys like Car Bomb be put in instead of him........Just sayin
There are no excuses for "doggin it." Moreover if he's being spiteful it shows a complete lack of maturity and professionalism and he should be shown the door pronto....there is no room on this TEAM for a person who thinks he is above the TEAM for whatever reason...EFF HIM! I hated playing with players like him and this is why I believe he doesn't have many people in his corner on the TEAM...not even his interpreter and def not Panaccio

Old
02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
That's fine but Lavy dislikes ONE major thing about Zherdev...NOT GIVING A CRAP throw in not playing within the system and the guy's days are numbered.

This was posted by Meltzer on the HockeyBuzz today..sorry if it was already brought up
And THAT is the reason I never wanted Zherdev on this team. Give anyone of us the talent that Zherdev possesses and we would play more competitively than Z does for us. It's useless talent.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Just read an article on BroadStreetHockey about Z, the one writer seems to think we can get a 2nd for Z "at the absolutel least". Does ANYONE think that is true? Because I can't see anyone giving a 2nd for him.
I don't but it would be great if we could....

Old
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Granted, it IS a seller's market this year and a weak draft to boot...but I can't see anyone paying that high a price for a player like Zherdev on an expiring deal who is a one-dimensional player (even if he is very dynamic at that one facet of his game).

I guess it's possible, but I'd be very very pleasantly surprised if we found a trade partner who'd do that.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Powe said it best last night when he was being interviewed about defense.

I am going to loosely paraphrase "Every Forward treats defense just as important as offense"

Do you think that fits Z's mentality? It is obvious that defense is Lavi's team mentality.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sanfilippo: Leino Injury Says A Lot About Zherdev

But but but he's so talented....

Quote:
Ville Leino has a lower body injury. He is missing tonight's game against the Florida Panthers.

It was an injury suffered last night in the 4-3 win against the Lightning.

Paul Holmgren told me - and the Daily News - that it's nothing serious and that he'd "be surprised if (Leino) doesn't play the next game" Friday in Carolina.

But what's more interesting is coach Peter Laviolette's decision to use Jody Shelley in place of Leino rather than the more skilled Zherdev.

Zherdev has likely burned his last bridge with Laviolette and barring a dire need for him in one of the next couple games, may have played his last game as a Flyer..

Sources have confirmed that the Flyers are trying to trade Zherdev, but are struggling to find a partner with enough interest to work the deal.

If Zherdev does not get moved, don't be surprised to see the Flyers waive him, eat the remainder of his $2 million salary and create some additional cap room.

More on this tomorrow...

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

Old
02-17-2011, 11:57 AM
JVR21
G

I think moving Z would be the worst thing Holmgren has done since the Gagne trade. A player like him will be extremely valuable come playoff time when injuries start to have a major effect on us...not too mention fighters like Shelley serve no purpose in the playoffs.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I think moving Z would be the worst thing Holmgren has done since the Gagne trade. A player like him will be extremely valuable come playoff time when injuries start to have a major effect on us...not too mention fighters like Shelley serve no purpose in the playoffs.
He is the EXACT opposite of what you want in the playoffs.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
You have to balance the deterimental effects of having unhappy players around a happy team with whether it's worth having Z around.

And ditching Gagne's salary to add Meszaros and O'Donnell was the best move Homer made in the offseason - in the end it might make all the difference.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Exactly, do you ever see guys like gaborik, kovalchuk, even ovechkin tear it up in the playoffs? I dont but there always seems to be a 4th line grinder every year coming out of nowhere to help his team. This goes to show you that you can be the most skilled player in the NHL ex. Kovalev and just float in the playoffs like they do in the season and do nothing but hurt your team.

90% of playoff goals come from grinding, and outworking your opponent they usually arent pretty at all, and you rarely if ever see someone score a highlight reel dangling goal.

I like zherdev but he obviously isnt part of our run as proved by lavy last night, and since lavy found us the HBL line, led us back from a 0-3 series and game 7 deficit, brought us back from 14th to making the playoffs,led us to within two wins of a stanley cup, implemented the perfect attacking system for our team, and is in my opinion the greatest timeout caller in the history of all professional sports.... I will give him my trust in zherdev not being out there...

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Also, if it's so obvious that he doesn't fit in, and it's been that way from the start (it seems) why did Holmgren sign him up in the first place? He isn't known for his locker room motivation to my knowledge. Infact, aren't his locker room/off ice problems well documented?
He's known for goals, in all situations.

Small part of me hopes Z stays around in the NHL and shows the Flyers next year what he can do........small part!!!
IF this is the case it is all the more reason to cut bait. JvR could have quit, he has gone out and shown he wants to improve and does what it takes to make sure he is in the lineup each night and takes his medicine. If Zherdev is peeved because he feels he is being slighted but yet does not do the necessary things to make changes or honor what he said coming to the Flyers. This team is primed to make a serious run at the Cup, if Zherdev does not want to do whatever it takes and get Laviolette's water then he can go back to the KHL.

Old
02-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing anyone giving that much for him since the Flyers have clearly given up on him.

Personally I hope they keep him for depth. I also think he should be playing.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:41 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Would you rather have Shelley, quite possibly the slowest skater in the league with the worst form in the history of the NHL? It's not like Shelley is good in the defenseive zone either: he can't keep up with anyone.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I would like to see this as our playoff lineup.

Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Giroux - Carter - Zherdev
Versteeg - Richards - JVR
Nodl - Betts - Powe

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
I would like to see this as our playoff lineup.

Giroux - Carter - Zherdev
Nodl - Betts - Powe
I'm guessing this will be it:
Giroux - Carter - Nodl
carcillo - Betts - Powe

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
naihlflames

Wings sent you Leino last year. Repay the favor, ship us Zherdev this year. I'd love to see what he would do on a line with Datsyuk.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
Wings sent you Leino last year. Repay the favor, ship us Zherdev this year. I'd love to see what he would do on a line with Datsyuk.
Zherdev for Holmstrom.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
JonnyGaloshes

I like having Zherdev in the lineup because he doesn't fit.

We can beat teams in so many different ways, including lazy Russian dangling.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote